Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2013, 07:52 AM   #61
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: rosedec21
Stats: 215/190/137
WOE: WW Points Plus
Start Date: April 1st/2003
That was a wise move on your part and it sounds like he has a good staff working for him !! Looking forward for this being over for you !
rosedec21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-30-2013, 08:11 AM   #62
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: jiggles
Yes, I'm glad I did it. I've been driving myself nuts thinking about it. I would've have liked to talk to the surgeon himself but this nurse sounded very knowledgable.

I am getting more nervous about the surgery every day but I'm sure that's to be expected.
jiggles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 08:30 AM   #63
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggles View Post
Yes, I'm glad I did it. I've been driving myself nuts thinking about it. I would've have liked to talk to the surgeon himself but this nurse sounded very knowledgable.

I am getting more nervous about the surgery every day but I'm sure that's to be expected.
That is so normal , for most people anyway ! My DH never lets that stuff bother him , but I drive myself nuts and I always pray for the day after to hurry up and get here !! It will be OK , try to keep busy and not think. Go to a movie or 6 .
Old 10-30-2013, 08:31 AM   #64

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/151/135??, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Back to JUDDD!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggles View Post
I called the surgeon's office and talked to one of his nurses about the accuracy of the frozen section. She has not seen a case with my surgeon where the first needle biopsy was positive but the frozen section one was negative. She also said the Pathologists there are very good and are very straight forward with this surgeron if they cannot make a good determination one way or the other.

I also asked her about any concerns there would be to just do a TT even if the biopsy came back negative. I told her I have Hashi's and it's killing off my thyroid anyway & I'll already be medicated for life. She said that was a good question and she's curious about it too so she will try talk to the doctor today and get back to me.

She said I will have an opportunity before the surgery to pose any concerns or questions I have.

I feel a bit better now that I put the question out there & will hopefully have him thinking about it.
I'm glad the staff is working with you to get your questions answered. You have valid concerns and it's good that they're interested in alleviating them.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 08:44 AM   #65

She also said that they have a policy that no patient goes into surgery without feeling completely comfortable with what is going to happen so the surgeon will definitely go over things with me first.

I would expect that from any hospital but there are probably some that aren't that way. It was reassuring to hear anyway.
Old 10-30-2013, 08:46 AM   #66
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Stats: 240/226.6/125
WOE: Currently 5:2 w/ a 3rd all fruit & veg day
Start Date: (Juddd 2010)
Hi sweetie! I just read through this entire post and I wanted to lend my support and to offer !

Early this year I had an ultra sound done on my swollen thyroid, the results came back as a cyst. I was really scared about it beforehand and I can only imagine how you must be feeling. It sounds like you have good Doctors!

The thing about the exrays? As a child (I'm now 57) I had multiple exrays when I was three, I had pneumonia and seems like I had a lot of Doctor visits and exrays over a two week period. Kinda scary to think about that.

I'm glad you found a good Endo, someone you like and trust.

Thinking about you and sending good good thoughts your way!

~Blonde
6/27~226.6
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...-required.html
Blonde with a Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 09:06 AM   #67

Thanks Blonde!

I really appreciate all the support you all have given me. It really helps.

The nurse just called me again and I feel a 100x better. She talked to the doctor and he understands my concerns. He doesn't think the frozen section biopsy will come back any different than the FNA but he will discuss the possibility of doing a TT with me before surgery if for some reason it did come back negative. He said he isn't opposed to doing a TT if that what I'm more comfortable with. He said with Hashi's there is the possibility of complications in the future if we were to leave part of it.

I feel so much better! When I left his office Monday it sounded like if for some reason the FS came back negative he would ONLY do a lobectomy. I'm so glad to hear he will discuss it and see what I'm comfortable with.

I'm really leaning towards just taking the whole thing out. It's probably all a moot point though if the FS comes back positive. But at least I can rest my mind a little more now.
Old 10-30-2013, 11:22 AM   #68
Big Yapper!!!!

Your good to go lady and it's all going to be OK !!!!
Old 10-30-2013, 11:44 AM   #69
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
It sounds like you're in really good hands, Jiggles!

Doctors are trained to preserve living tissue as much as possible, so it's possible that they don't 'think' about thyroid issues as those of us with Hashi's do. With any question of cancer, I'd want my entire thyroid removed, but it's also possible that the surgeon would be prevented from removing the gland if there's no malignancy.

About 10 years ago, I had some really severe gall bladder attacks. Both my primary doctor and gastroenterologist advised surgery--and I had no problem with that. But all the scans showed no stones or any other problem that could be resolved with removal of the gall bladder. My gastro explained that surgeons are 'accountable' for any removal of body tissue. He also told me that 'attacks' as I was having often are of 'no known origin' and can be resolved with dietary adjustments.

My attacks were alleviated with low fat eating, and I still have a gall bladder.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 05:54 PM   #70
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: kimw
Stats: 150/190/140
WOE: Protein Power
Start Date: 10/21/2013
What is the date of your surgery? That fact was posted far back on this thread.

I greatly admire your attempts to become to arm yourself with all the medical information you need to make a well-informed decision.

I haven't reviewed all the medically peer-reviewed studies that I might be able to understand, as I don't know yet if I will need a thyroidectomy, but is there any evidence from controlled studies that show differences in outcomes regarding partial and total thyroidectomies for malignancies?

Is there a difference regarding quality of life in terms of maintaining part of the thyroid gland, or have those studies not been done?

Best wishes to you. You are very intelligently exploring all of your options and not necessarily accepting the default treatment. Medical protocol is not always based on the most rational reasons or outcomes.
kimw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 07:46 AM   #71

My surgery is Nov. 5th.

From what I've read & heard, it's my understanding that if a biopsy during surgery comes back benign and the patient has a healthy thyroid (meaning isn't already being treated for hypothyroidism and isn't on a hormone replacement) then the doctor may leave the other half in hopes that the person's thryoid will function enough that they won't need the hormone replacement. The person would not have to be dependent on a pill every day and hopefully not go through the ups and down of being hypo.

In my case, since I have Hashi's (and it's killing off my thyroid anyway) it doesn't make much sense to me to leave the other half of my thryoid if the biopsy came back benign. I'm already taking the hormone replacement because I'm hypo. Nothing with that would change for me even if half was left. I think there are more risks long term to leave it in.

If it is malignant, then it's my understanding they have to take all of your thyroid no matter what. In order to receive the RAI treatment after surgery you cannot have any part of the thryoid left. I have read posts though where some people kept part of their thyroid because the cancer was completely encapusated in the one lobe and they did not need RAI after. But I have a feeling this is very rare and sometimes turns out that the person needs to go back in for another surgery later. Both my Endo and my surgeon have said if it's cancer the whole thing must go but some doctors may say different.

I'm sure there are others that know a lot more about this than I do. This is what I've learned in the last month of researching. Sometimes I actually feel like I understand what I'm talking about when explaining it to other people.
Old 11-04-2013, 07:02 AM   #72
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thinking about you honey!
Old 11-04-2013, 07:23 AM   #73

Thank you!

Surprisingly, I'm not that nervous yet. I'm working today so that helps. I think I'm still in a bit of disbelief about the whole thing. LOL It will probably hit me tonight when I'm getting things ready for the hospital tomorrow.
Old 11-04-2013, 12:32 PM   #74

Gallery: Karerose
Start Date: late 2003
Good luck with the surgery tomorrow.
Karerose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 10:49 PM   #75
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lovingAK
WOE: low carb
Start Date: Jan 1, 04
Good luck tomorrow! Hoping for a speedy recovery
lovingAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 11:39 PM   #76
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: sweetpea37
WOE: Atkins
Hi I just came across your thread and wanted to send you best wishes. I have a half brother and a good friend that had thyroid and they're both doing great, so hang in there...

I also want to mention that as a person that studied radiation, please watch your children and yourself when you go for dental exams. I believe that dentists do too many x-rays and make sure that they put a "thyroid shield" on you during all xrays, even with chest xrays....I say this because our thyroid can only take so much radiation! And radiation can scatter...AS for the cancer, it can be many different things, even genetics...so you did nothing wrong...feel better soon
sweetpea37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 05:44 AM   #77

I'm thinking of you today.
Old 11-05-2013, 09:05 AM   #78
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DebM
Jiggles - thinking of you - hope it all goes well today!!! I had a thyroid scan yesterday. It had been 4 years. The ladies who did it wouldn't tell me anything of course but asked me if they'd been biopsied before. Yes, about 5-6 yrs ago. Now I'm wondering........did you have any kind of symptoms Jiggles?
DebM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 09:09 AM   #79
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Prayers and good thoughts for you today! Speedy recovery!!
Old 11-05-2013, 09:34 AM   #80

Gallery: Pompom2
Stats: 5'2" 120
WOE: Lower Carb
Thinking about you today girl.
Pompom2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 03:50 PM   #81
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dipgal
Stats: Unhealthy/healthier/healthy!
WOE: 5:2 Fast Diet as LC as possible
Start Date: This time: 11/17/13
Healing Prayers being sent to Jiggles

Healing prayers being sent your way Jiggles!! Looking forward to hearing how everything went whenever you get back "on your feet".

Hugs,

Judy
dipgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 04:05 PM   #82
Big Yapper!!!!

Thinking of you today ! Adam was on the Ellen show today , but I missed most of it.
Old 11-06-2013, 03:36 PM   #83

Darn! I missed Adam. Maybe I can catch it online.

Thanks for all the good wishes.

The surgeon said surgery went well. He did take a couple of lymph nodes on my right side where the nodule was. He came in before the surgery and said he was going to do a total thyroidectomy. I asked if he was still going to do the frozen section biopsy and he said yes, out of curiosity, but he wouldn't stop the surgery to wait for the results. The section they did came back benign but he said it's possible for that part to not show cancer in it. I would assume they sent the part with the nodule. The final report should be done in 3-5 days.

I go back in next Wed. to have the staples removed. The incision looks like something out of a horror film but I supposed that's expected. I can't shower and wash it until tomorrow evening so that doesn't help. It's about 5 1/2 inches long.

I feel pretty good over all. I have a horrible sore throat and very hoarse voice which is from being intubated. I don't have any problem turning my head and my neck and shoulders don't hurt like I expected, from what I read.

I was able to go home this morning around noon after they took the drains out. It felt nice to be home and take a nap in my own bed. I didn't sleep much last night with being hooked up to all sorts of equipment and nurses coming in and out.

He said one of my voice nerves is very thin and it took some work to remove it from the thyroid but they used the monitor and then checked it after and it was still in tact but could take a bit to bounce back from the stress.

He was able to save 2 parathyroid glands and they drew blood every 6 hours to monitor my calcium and it was okay. I'm supposed to watch for tingling or twitching the next few days though but he doesn't expect there to be a problem.
Old 11-06-2013, 03:51 PM   #84
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Seabreezes
Stats: 191/162/160
WOE: JUDDD let me lose 30 pounds and keep it off
Start Date: Seems like forever - restart June '11
So glad this is all over for you. Now for a speedy recovery. I recently had a biopsy on my thyroid, but nothing obvious, so it is being watched. This has been an interesting discussion in case they decide to remove my later.

Seabreezes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 04:35 PM   #85

I'm so happy you're home and have been able to get some rest!
Old 11-06-2013, 05:16 PM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebM View Post
Jiggles - thinking of you - hope it all goes well today!!! I had a thyroid scan yesterday. It had been 4 years. The ladies who did it wouldn't tell me anything of course but asked me if they'd been biopsied before. Yes, about 5-6 yrs ago. Now I'm wondering........did you have any kind of symptoms Jiggles?
I didn't have any symptoms from the nodule. Since it had grown to 2 cm from 1 cm in a year it had to be biopsied and here I am.

Good luck to you. I hope you get a good report.
Old 11-06-2013, 06:51 PM   #87
Big Yapper!!!!

So glad it is over and all seems to be well.

I don't think Adam preformed , but maybe I missed it. He still looks awesome anyway LOL
Old 11-07-2013, 06:28 AM   #88

I saw the Adam clip. He sang some Craigslist personal ads. You really have to see it!

My SO went to work today so I'm on my own today. I feel pretty good and should be fine. Just plan on watching TV and napping today. My throat is still a bit sore but my voice is starting to come back a little more. It's probably good that my SO is gone because I won't be trying to talk to him and I can rest my voice.
Old 11-07-2013, 06:37 AM   #89
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Welcome home, so glad your surgery is over and you can mend. Rest as much as you can, enjoy your time at home.
Old 11-07-2013, 07:07 AM   #90
Big Yapper!!!!

It's so wonderful that thinking about it is over !!!