Old 09-05-2013, 01:09 PM   #1
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Psmileyf
Stats: 215/180/167
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 8/1/2011- renewed efforts 8/1/2014
What do you know about...

the thyroid and the heart?

I had a colonoscopy yesterday. During it my blood pressure dropped (it is always low to begin with) and my heart rate dropped to 30 bpm.

The anethesiologist said I need to go see a cardiologist and it could be related to my thyroid.
So, I go to the cardiologist on October 2nd.

Anything I should ask about?
Should I contact my endo about this at all? I've only been on thyroid medicine a few months.
Psmileyf is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-05-2013, 03:06 PM   #2

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
what sort of thyroid meds? generally the meds are for low thyroid, and they would tend to increase things like heart rate, right?
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 04:23 PM   #3
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
When you're hypothyroid, your heart rate will slow--if you are undiagnosed and not taking Rx supplemental hormones. That happened to me.

But since you are taking thyroid Rx, you should not have an abnormally slow heart rate unless you are under medicated.

NOTE--An anesthesiologist once told me that I needed to see a cardiologist because of a 'problem' during my cataract surgery. After extensive testing, my cardiologist concluded that my heart is fine, but the 'problem' had been caused by the anesthesiologist.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 04:51 PM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Psmileyf
Stats: 215/180/167
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 8/1/2011- renewed efforts 8/1/2014
I'm on a very low dose, so I would say I am undermedicated. My TSH level dropped only slightly since I started the meds.
The anethesiologist was very nice. She no way blamed it on my heart or my thyroid, just said it could be related so get it checked out.
Honestly, my BP is always so low that it does not surprise me at all.
Psmileyf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 07:15 AM   #5
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
It still may be the anesthesiologist because my own issue was related to low BP. My BP is normally low, and the morning of my surgery, the nurse commented on how low it was when I arrived. I was surprised because I was feeling 'anxious' about the general anesthesia.

What my cardiologist speculated (after checking me AND examining the surgery notes) is that the anesthesiologist failed to notice how low my BP was. ANY anesthesia lowers the BP, and for someone with naturally low BP, the anesthesiologist has to be extra careful--which my cardiologist speculates my anesthesiologist had failed to do. I was very overweight at the time, and my cardiologist guessed that the anesthesiologist 'missed' the low BP because no one espects that with obese patients.

In any case, I mentioned my situation because it's possible that something similar happened to you. I don't regret being cleared by the cardiologist because it's always good to know one has a healthy heart.

Good luck with your check up.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 04:21 PM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: watcher513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psmileyf View Post
Honestly, my BP is always so low that it does not surprise me at all.

That may be the reason but who knows. My Mom used to have pretty low BP. She had surgery back in the early 90's and we were a little worried about it when they put her under. Then they kept talking to her when she came to because it dropped quite a bit. Very low BP can be bad just like too high BP.
watcher513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 06:11 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Ronnie51
I've had high BP for many years and I'm on three medications to control it. People are always shocked when I tell them that because I only weigh 108, I've exercised my entire life and I'm very fit (high BP runs in my family). I also have a very slow heartbeat at 54 which my doctor chalks up to being fit (I can't go on beta blockers because of my slow heart rate). When I'm under anesthesia, my BP drops very low. The last time this happened was when I had hand surgery. The nurse commented that my BP dropped very low, but she didn't tell me to follow up with a cardiologist. I have had a nuclear stress test since then and everything was fine. I have a feeling that you're okay, and that you just have this type of reaction from anesthesia. Of course it's a good idea to check it out with a cardiologist like you're doing; better safe than sorry. Please keep us posted.
Ronnie51 is offline   Reply With Quote