Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2013, 03:47 PM   #1
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/146.4/145, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Back to JUDDD!
August Lab Results

I had my most recent draw on 8/21/13 and here are the results.

25-Hydroxy Vitamin D 35.2 (Range 30.0 - 100.0 ng/mL)
TSH 1.330 (Range 0.300-4.120 uIU/mL)
Free T4 1.4 (Range 0.8-1.9 ng/dL)
Free T3 2.0 (Range 1.5-4.1 pg/mL)

I had my appointment with my Endo this morning and she says everything looks good and I don't have to come back for a year, unless I experience a change in symptoms. I am currently taking 75 mcg Synthroid daily. My Endo has told me that she'd be willing to prescribe T3 for me, but I don't feel badly enough to want to try it just yet.

I feel pretty good, but have some fatigue. I don't sleep well (never have), so it could be related to that more than to my thyroid. Most of my other symptoms have resolved, but I still have aphasia. That is likely permanent and due to going so long without treatment.

Have any of you had improvement with aphasia, if you ever experienced it due to your TD? If so, what helped?

TIA!

Atkins 10/24/11 @ 277.6
JUDDD 12/12/11 @ 267.8
January 2013 @ 165.0: Maintaining however feels the most comfortable with little bouts of WLM thrown in here and there.
January 2014 @ 145: Maintaining with 5:2 and/or JUDDD
July 2014, weight is creeping up: Back to JUDDD.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-04-2013, 07:40 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/202/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Congrats on the lab results, and on feeling better, but I'm sorry you're still having some symptoms. I have never heard of aphasia - sounds scary. I hope it resolves for you.
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 07:52 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistizoom View Post
Congrats on the lab results, and on feeling better, but I'm sorry you're still having some symptoms. I have never heard of aphasia - sounds scary. I hope it resolves for you.
Thank you! Aphasia is probably the least scary of all my complaints. It's just the inability to find the word I'm trying to say. It's more annoying than anything, but I've always enjoyed words. My degree is in English, so it really, really bothers me when I know what I want to say, but the word just will NOT come to me. It's funny, because I can come up with difficult or "big" words with no problem, but sometimes I can't recall the word "tree" or "car" or things like that. I can end up in tears. DH and DD8 have come up with a system. If I can't remember a word, I replace it with the word "avocado." I don't know how we chose that word, but it makes for some really fun conversations! "I'd like you to pass me the avocado so I can cut my steak, please."
Old 09-05-2013, 12:52 AM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: watcher513
Uh, yeah, most of us call that brain fog. You have some fatigue... T3 would fix you right up since you're FT3 seems low. It will definitely perk you up and you may even realize: I didn't know how bad I felt until I felt better. That happened to me when I started T3 four years ago after being on T4 only for 10+ years. What a world of difference it made.
watcher513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 10:42 AM   #5

Gallery: inatic
Stats: 182+/126 5'4 51!yo 16/4 *5* kidlets later!
WOE: Coach:Erik Ledin leanbodies consulting
Start Date: LowER C since 2/02 wt training 10/15/02
Im with Terry. If those were my labs i'd ask for some T3.

I have those same issues with words but my levels are better. Cant seem to find the solution but its not my only issue with cognition.
inatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 11:20 AM   #6
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
I would be less concerned with T3 than with your low Vit D. When I raised my Vit D level (to 75), I was amazed at the different it made in how I felt. You can take OTC Vit. D3, which is what I did (and continue to do). I can't maintain my D3 level without supplementing, but I've read that's fairly common.

I did not begin taking T3 until there was evidence that I was experiencing conversion problems--i.e., my T3 was below lab range. Optimum thyroid hormone levels vary among individuals. I do best at just about half of the lab range, although many posters here would consider that low.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 04:11 PM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Definitely get your Vitamin D level higher.
watcher513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 04:23 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
I would be less concerned with T3 than with your low Vit D. When I raised my Vit D level (to 75), I was amazed at the different it made in how I felt. You can take OTC Vit. D3, which is what I did (and continue to do). I can't maintain my D3 level without supplementing, but I've read that's fairly common.

I did not begin taking T3 until there was evidence that I was experiencing conversion problems--i.e., my T3 was below lab range. Optimum thyroid hormone levels vary among individuals. I do best at just about half of the lab range, although many posters here would consider that low.
Leo, the doctor seemed to think my Vit D was good. I'm already taking a Calcium/D3 supplement. Do you think I could supplement with just more D, or increase the combo? And if so, how much? I don't have my pill bottle with me, so I'm not sure about the amounts in it. I've read that too much calcium can be a bad thing, but I'm not sure about the Vit D. Thanks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by watcher513 View Post
Definitely get your Vitamin D level higher.
Terry, I also would like your input on the calcium/D3 issue with regards to how much is safe to take, etc. Thanks!!

Thank you all for the replies. I don't want to add T3 in just yet, but will definitely keep it "in my pocket" for when/if my symptoms worsen.
Old 09-07-2013, 01:00 AM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

You're barely above the bottom of the range for Vit. D. When I first started taking it I was at 19 (same range) and it took me 3 months to get up to 32, taking 1000 iu D3 2x/day. I insisted my hubby get tested and he was at 9!! My best friend was at 2 and that's not a typo...Two!

From what I understand, we need to be at a minimum of mid-range for Vit. D if not higher. The only way to find out is to get tested. If it was me, I'd just add in 2000 iu D3 a day for now and see how it goes. Then test in a few months again. Some people need a lot more. You should read up on Vit. D. It's really important not to be low and under range as it has some serious health implications.

It almost sounds like you have Kaiser (I do). They seem to be happy with anything just within the range which I find really odd for many things (and they won't run a FT3 test so I get my own tested since I have to pay for them anyway).
Old 09-07-2013, 04:44 AM   #10
Senior LCF member

Dawn-

I started supplementing D3 with 2000 IU daily, but when I had my primary doctor check after 6 months, it was only slightly higher--still in the 30s. I increased to 4000 IU daily, and that slowly brought up my level to the 70s. I take 2000 IU daily to maintain.
Old 09-07-2013, 06:44 AM   #11

I just looked at my bottles and I take a multi which has 1000 IU of D and 500 mg calcium. I also take a supplement with 400 IU of D and 600 mg of calcium.

Combined, that's 1400 IU of D and 1100 mg of calcium. For some reason, I though I was taking bunches of D. I'll be hitting the store this morning in search of just Vitamin D to add to my supplements.

It would be amazing if that would help with my lingering symptoms. I feel amazing compared to where I was a year ago, but I wouldn't mind feeling better still.

Thanks!!!

Last edited by KeirasMom; 09-07-2013 at 06:48 AM..
Old 09-07-2013, 07:59 AM   #12
Senior LCF member

Dawn--

I hope you take that multi and the supplement at separate times because the body doesn't absorb more than 500 mg of calcium at any single time.

And I'm sure you know that calcium has to be 4hrs away from your thyroid meds.
Old 09-07-2013, 10:22 AM   #13

I take my Synthroid in the middle of the night (usually around midnight, sometimes as late as 2:00 a.m.--whenever my tossing and turning wakes me), my calcium/D3 with breakfast (6:30), and my multi with lunch (11:30). I just picked up some 1000 IU D3 and am trying to figure out where to fit it in. Should I take two with dinner? That would be a total of 3400 UI D3. Math and timing are not my strong suits.
Old 09-07-2013, 12:54 PM   #14
Senior LCF member

Dawn-

I think you can take that extra D3 anytime. It helps if you're eating at the time.

I, too, take my Synthroid in the middle of the night, but it's my T3 (Cytomel) that drives me nuts. It can be taken with or without food, but I still need to keep calcium and iron 4 hours away. However, my instructions are to take it 3X a day! So it's tough for me to work out a schedule that allows me to take even one 500 mg dose of calcium, much less 2.

I see my endo next month, and I'm going to ask him about taking the Cytomel just twice a day to help get in the calcium.
Old 09-10-2013, 01:26 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: valentine319
Stats: 250/230/145
WOE: Low Carb Gourmet Style
Start Date: 8/15/2012
When I was diagnosed with low D3 my number was 3. Ha I officially get to say I'm a vampire except for the whole blood thing but got the pasty down. I was told to take a lot. I called and even questioned my endo on it. It was somewhere like 25,000 per day for 3 months until blood work. T3 can diffenately cause issues with not remembering words. When my thyroid was at it's worst I felt so stupid. It turned into a game, "It's black, takes metal arches to hold paper together?" The worst was someone calling and within 5 seconds I cannot remember their name. IT GETS BETTER! I suggest adding T3, you can start low at 5 mcg per day. See how it feels. You can still up the D3. Neither will interflict. Take T3 (generic is fine with this) with your regular thyroid it will not interact. Just remember T3 is very instantly active so do not take in the middle of the night. It's like a 30 minute time to start working. T3 is what your body would naturally give off to wake you in the morning and it would wear off so you get tired and sleep so keep it morning and by noon at latest.

"Doing LC Gourmet Style and keeping it interesting!"

250/230/145
Started 8/15/12
valentine319 is offline   Reply With Quote