Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Thyroid
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2013, 03:38 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: AZ.twinmom
Can too much armour cause weight gain?

I'm a fitness instructor so I'm very active. I eat a clean diet 85% of the time. I've been on Armour for 7 yrs and within the the last 6 months I"ve gained 10 lbs. It dawned on me that my doc increased my dose by 1 grain around the time the weight started coming on. I'm on 1 1/2 grains in the morning and 1 1/2 in the afternoon. Has anyone else had this issue or even think it's possible for this drug to cause weight gain? I never miss the doses but will say that I don't take it everyday at the exact same time. I try, but it doesn't always happen.

I'm almost hyperthyroid with the amt. I'm on, but she's letting me stay on it because my t3 is still in on the low side. She tests free t3 free t4 and TSH

Last edited by AZ.twinmom; 08-21-2013 at 03:40 PM..
AZ.twinmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-2013, 09:13 PM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: DebbyL
Stats: 168/130/128
WOE: Maintenance
Start Date: WtLoss->Sept11-Oct12->Maint.
Hi,
I was just wondering the same thing. This morning I got my thyroid news email & was able to find the symptoms of over-medicating... It does say that some people will gain wt. with becoming hyperthyroid, but losing wt. is more common.
My appetite & wt has been creeping up this month & I'm trying not to panic... but I am the one that's controlling how much I take... I increased it myself & now that I am getting more hyper symptoms (also getting palpitations, overheating & bloody noses) I'm cutting down.
But I also deal with adrenals & take isocort, so not sure which thing is off. I probably need to go back & see the naturopath again.
Its great that your Dr. tests all of those. Most don't. Maybe you should ask her to add t-3 instead of more Armour?
Meanwhile, I'm cutting back on mine & making sure that I work out & "trying" to cut back... tempted to try the quick-fix things... its only a few lbs... but it bugs me!
Old 08-23-2013, 04:35 PM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: inatic
Stats: 182+/126 5'4 51!yo 16/4 *5* kidlets later!
WOE: Coach:Erik Ledin leanbodies consulting
Start Date: LowER C since 2/02 wt training 10/15/02
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ.twinmom View Post
I'm a fitness instructor so I'm very active. I eat a clean diet 85% of the time. I've been on Armour for 7 yrs and within the the last 6 months I"ve gained 10 lbs. It dawned on me that my doc increased my dose by 1 grain around the time the weight started coming on. I'm on 1 1/2 grains in the morning and 1 1/2 in the afternoon. Has anyone else had this issue or even think it's possible for this drug to cause weight gain? I never miss the doses but will say that I don't take it everyday at the exact same time. I try, but it doesn't always happen.

I'm almost hyperthyroid with the amt. I'm on, but she's letting me stay on it because my t3 is still in on the low side. She tests free t3 free t4 and TSH
what are you symptoms of there wt gain?

hyper isnt diagnosised via TSH. If ft3 and Ft4 are where they should be, you are likely not hyper.
can you share you labs?
inatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 04:36 PM   #4

Gallery: inatic
Stats: 182+/126 5'4 51!yo 16/4 *5* kidlets later!
WOE: Coach:Erik Ledin leanbodies consulting
Start Date: LowER C since 2/02 wt training 10/15/02
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbyL View Post
Hi,
I was just wondering the same thing. This morning I got my thyroid news email & was able to find the symptoms of over-medicating... It does say that some people will gain wt. with becoming hyperthyroid, but losing wt. is more common.
My appetite & wt has been creeping up this month & I'm trying not to panic... but I am the one that's controlling how much I take... I increased it myself & now that I am getting more hyper symptoms (also getting palpitations, overheating & bloody noses) I'm cutting down.
But I also deal with adrenals & take isocort, so not sure which thing is off. I probably need to go back & see the naturopath again.
Its great that your Dr. tests all of those. Most don't. Maybe you should ask her to add t-3 instead of more Armour?
Meanwhile, I'm cutting back on mine & making sure that I work out & "trying" to cut back... tempted to try the quick-fix things... its only a few lbs... but it bugs me!
you shouldnt be titrating meds without your dr or practioner monitoring you. Get back to them, get tested and dont 'play' with your dosage.

If you dont have a dr to work with , keep shopping and find another.
inatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 09:13 PM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks, yeah that's good advice. I do work with 2 Drs & a naturopath. They trust me to watch my symptoms, temperature & adjust a miniscule amount ... (7.5 mg)... I'm supposed to find "how often" to add it... I am due to get my blood tested again in a couple of weeks, but they go more by how I'm feeling than the number. We've been getting closer. 60 mg makes me get hypo again... 67.5 every day is what is making me slightly hyper... so I just need to figure out how many days @ week to do each.

On the diet front...have been doing some refresher research for maintenance & losing wt. when it bounces.
I decided to do the 16 hr / 8 hr applied to "my diet". It wasn't that hard to wait till 10:00 to eat breakfast. I'm also cutting my calories back & going to rotate between 1000 & 1300, keeping to clean carbs only & high protein & fat. Found a few formula's for thyroid & losing wt. & maintaining. They say that hypothyroid people require 200 calories less than someone who doesn't have it.
I took half my walk before breakfast (suggested), & the other half after my in the afternoon with my flex-force work. Really hoping it works out. It worked good on getting rid of the cravings.
DebbyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 07:39 PM   #6
Junior LCF Member

I'm going to get my labs done this week and will post. I'm very frustrated I teach 8 hard core boot camp classes a wk. so I have no clue why this is happening if it's not from the dose increase. 139 is the lowest my weight has got in the last 6 months. Today I was 144. My body is used to being around 130 and has been for years!
Old 09-24-2013, 07:08 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: maybell
Stats: 144/117/117
WOE: Atkins
Quote:
I'm going to get my labs done this week and will post. I'm very frustrated I teach 8 hard core boot camp classes a wk. so I have no clue why this is happening if it's not from the dose increase. 139 is the lowest my weight has got in the last 6 months. Today I was 144. My body is used to being around 130 and has been for years!
Are you having any other hypo symptoms besides weight gain? I am wondering if you might be making too much reverse T3?

Reverse T3--do you have this problem in excess? Let's talk! | Stop The Thyroid Madness
maybell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 07:53 PM   #8
Junior LCF Member

I got my labs back and I don't have them in front of me, but my free T3 Free T4 and TSH looked perfect. She also tested anything else that could of explained the weight gain. My iron is still low even with the crazy amt. of supplement I take. Other than iron issue everything fine. I was actually bummed out with this news because it didn't explain anything.

After she and I talked for 1/2 hr. we decided to switch things up and after 7 yrs. of Armour, I'm going to try Levothyroxine and take 100 mg. L-Tyrosine for T3 support . I'm a little nervous about switching since I've been on Armour so long, but she said she'd put me right back on it if I started having negative side effects.

She also said btwn. my thermogenics I take on occasion, coffee, and crazy dieting/working out schedule that my adrenals are shot. She recommended a supplement that is $55 for 3 wks!

Does anyone take an adrenal supplement or suffer from Adrenal Fatigue? Also, if you've been on Levothyroxine have your symptoms improved? Any side effects?

We're testing in 6-8 wks. so if my T3 drops we'll know right away.
Old 10-01-2013, 08:12 PM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
She also said btwn. my thermogenics I take on occasion, coffee, and crazy dieting/working out schedule that my adrenals are shot. She recommended a supplement that is $55 for 3 wks!

Does anyone take an adrenal supplement or suffer from Adrenal Fatigue? Also, if you've been on Levothyroxine have your symptoms improved? Any side effects?

We're testing in 6-8 wks. so if my T3 drops we'll know right away.
Yes, I take Isocort & have gone to a nutritionist who eliminated many foods from my diet after testing me for tolerance... also had to take a saliva test to see which hormone was causing the adrenal fatigue... it was my cortisol that was low. So that's why I take Isocort. The change in how I feel is amazing. What is the stuff that she recommends for yours?
Old 10-02-2013, 05:18 AM   #10
Junior LCF Member

She put me on an over the counter supplement called Adrenal Rescue. She said I can take up to 6 a day. The bottle is so pricey that I would be thru it in about 2 1/2 wks. I did take it before and didn't feel anything different, but I didn't cut my caffeine either which she said I should do for this issue. It's really hard to do that with my schedule I get up at 3:30am 3 times a wk. for morning classes then I have night classes on oposite nights. I'm basically burning the candle at both ends and supplementing with caffeine to keep going!
Old 10-02-2013, 07:15 AM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Oh my! You have authentic FATIGUE! Need to change your schedule & live a normal life girl!
I know, they always want to take our coffee away! Its the one thing we won't do!! I say I'll change my diet, but "Back away from the coffee" to them!
Old 10-14-2013, 02:53 PM   #12

I was gaining a ton of weight when I was very hyper and I had a moon face. Now, my doc decreased it and I have normal hunger...lose weigh like a normal human...and I don't feel *****y or starving all the time
aim in Fla*working is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 04:20 PM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Getting your meds optimized is really imperative.
Old 10-24-2013, 09:16 PM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

How's it going? Have you got your meds adjusted?
Old 11-03-2013, 12:18 PM   #15
Junior LCF Member

I'm on week 5 of levothroxine. My weight has not changed I feel a little more tired in the afternoons as well. I'm guessing my T3 is low. I'm going to get levels tested next wk. and see about going back to Armour. I wonder if my body would respond to it like it did the 1st time around. The weight just fell off and I had more energy. I also liked taking it twice a day vs. this med is only once. My doc is pretty easy going so I'm guessing she'll do whatever I suggest. Just wish I had an answer on the weight gain.
Old 11-03-2013, 04:38 PM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Sounds like a good plan. What are you doing to lose weight? It is a fact that we have a harder time losing weight... the books say subtract 200 calories for having thyroidism... so if it says you need to eat 1400 for your body, it will be 1200... I lost all my wt. 1/2 lb a week or less... steady gets there!! There's no room for "splurging" either... takes too long to recover, with our metabolisms.
Armour is definitely the way to go to feel better too.