Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Thyroid
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2013, 03:45 PM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MerryJ
thyroid neuropathy??

I have been looking but can't find much about this. I have been having problems with my neck and my pinky and ring fingers would go numb after a bit. went to the chiropractor. he went over my medical history and once he found out I was hypo he did some testing on my pulse with my arms in different positions. He thinks that I may have some sort of thyroid neuropathy (similar to what diabetics have). strange! wondering if anyone had anything like this happen to them.
MerryJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-2013, 04:05 PM   #2
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Personally, I would not trust a medical diagnosis made by a chiropracter.

My understanding is that any neuropathy from hypothyroidism is caused by long-term untreated hypo.

For example, my primary told me that I wasn't hypothyroid for over 5 years when I clearly was--and during that time I developed severe carpal tunnel and had two surgeries--both of which could have been prevented with treatment for my hypo condition--which was only finally diagnosed much later.

Carpal tunnel is the most common problem because, as my endo later explained, when you're hypothyroid and untreated for a while, all the tendons in your body swell, and the wrist is the only place where there's no room for the swelling--thus the pain.

If your hypothyrodism is being treated, and your labs are good, there's no reason to believe it's causing your current problem--from what I've read at least.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 09:28 AM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

He seems to be a rather holistic doctor. He didn't diagnose per say - just said that there could be several underlying issues as to why I am having the problems with my neck and arms. It is hard to find anything in-depth on this online - I will have to dig some more and see what I can come up with.
Old 08-14-2013, 10:41 AM   #4
Senior LCF member

You may want to check with a neurologist. When I had carpal tunnel, my surgeon sent me to a neurologist to confirm the diagnosis. They do an electrical stimulation test (forgot its name) that helps identify the problem.

(I had numbness in hands, fingers, too.)

I regularly have neck issues, but that's been diagnosed as a pinched nerve due to my arthritic spine. There's no 'solution.' I just treat it whenever it acts up.
Old 08-15-2013, 10:07 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: MSN08
Stats: sizes 18/6 calling goal!
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: June 2012
I have been seeing a Chiropractic Neurologist who explained to me most people with a thyroid problem do not have a thyroid problem but instead an autoimmune problem in which the thyroid is targeted (reason why medicating does not always work is because the thyroid malfunction happens in the gut not the thyroid or pituitary.) I have peripheral neuropathy. When he did the vibration test in my left arm I couldnt even feel it, my right toe felt like it was on fire from just vibration. So having "thyroid neuropathy" makes complete sense because neuropathy is yet another body signal that happens with autoimmunity.He studied under Dr. Datis Kharazzian (the "why do I still have thyroid symptoms when all of my lab tests are normal" author.) My Dr. said with autoimmunity the back half of the spinal cord and the brain stem are targeted. I learned there are 24 foods that cross react with gluten which can cause autoimmune attacks. If you are interested in healing your body and stopping the attacks without medications diet is key.

Last edited by MSN08; 08-15-2013 at 10:16 AM..
MSN08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 03:17 PM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Very interesting! Can you please share with me where I can find more information? I do have hashis which is autoimmune right?
Old 08-16-2013, 07:41 PM   #7
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: inatic
Stats: 182+/126 5'4 51!yo 16/4 *5* kidlets later!
WOE: Coach:Erik Ledin leanbodies consulting
Start Date: LowER C since 2/02 wt training 10/15/02
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerryJ View Post
He seems to be a rather holistic doctor. He didn't diagnose per say - just said that there could be several underlying issues as to why I am having the problems with my neck and arms. It is hard to find anything in-depth on this online - I will have to dig some more and see what I can come up with.
maybe you just have impingements?
inatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 07:43 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
You may want to check with a neurologist. When I had carpal tunnel, my surgeon sent me to a neurologist to confirm the diagnosis. They do an electrical stimulation test (forgot its name) that helps identify the problem.

(I had numbness in hands, fingers, too.)

I regularly have neck issues, but that's been diagnosed as a pinched nerve due to my arthritic spine. There's no 'solution.' I just treat it whenever it acts up.
Leo A.R.T (Active Release THerapy) is amazing. Got rid of my pinched nerves in various areas.
Old 08-17-2013, 08:35 AM   #9
Senior LCF member

Hi Ilene--

Thanks for your suggestion. From what I've seen A.R.T. is a chiropractic technique/protocol, and you probably had success because you are much younger and healthier than I am.

Over the years, I was told by several M.D.s that I should never seek chiropractic relief for a variety of reasons because of the nature of the arthritic damage I have throughout my skeletal system. I've been told that it's much too 'dangerous' for me.
Old 08-17-2013, 08:41 AM   #10

can only help to look into it. My Orthopedic SURGEON sent me.
Old 08-17-2013, 02:07 PM   #11
Senior LCF member

Ileen- I guess I'm not being clear. Your doctor sent you because you're a good candidate for that procedure.

My doctors warn me against chiropractic because of my particular condition.

We're all different and have different needs. I will get second opinions with medical advice, but once I'm satisfied, I don't go against it. I've had numerous opinions about my issues over the years--and they all agree.

It would 'hurt' to look into it if it's contrary to the medical advice I've received.
Old 08-21-2013, 04:12 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Very interesting! Can you please share with me where I can find more information? I do have hashis which is autoimmune right?
Yes Hashis is autoimmune. Watch this video to learn a little more. Idaho Falls Thyroid Relief - Dr. Brady Wirick
Old 08-21-2013, 04:42 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Yes Hashis is autoimmune. Watch this video to learn a little more. Idaho Falls Thyroid Relief - Dr. Brady Wirick

He charges 7,000 for a 13 week plan and if I had the money I would have done it in a heartbeat. He is a functional medicine god send. What I have learned thus far is from two free consultations. He has youtube videos under his name also with a lot of info. His foods to avoid list is based on how common these foods cause autoimmune inflammation and says even just one bite can cause a 6 month flare up.

Foods to avoid
Fruits-Bananas,canned fruits,dried fruits,mango,pineapple,raisins,watermelon and cantelope.
Grains-amaranth,barley,buckwheat,bulgur,corn,couscous,kam ut,millet,oats,quinoa,rice,rye,spelt,wheat,wheat germ.
Nuts and Seeds- almonds,peanuts,sunflower seeds,sesame seeds.
Gluten containing compounds- hydrolyzed plant or vegetable protein,malt vinegar and flavoring,modified food starch,msg,seitan,stabilizers,spices and textured vegetable protein.
Dairy products-butter,cheese,milk from any animals, (he recommends replacing with almond or cocount milk),mayo,whey,yogurt and margarine.
Soy-edamame,miso,soy milk,soy protein,soy sauce,tempeh,tofu.
Fungi-edible fungi and mushrooms
All alcohol
beans and legumes
nightshade foods-paprika,eggplant,peppers,potatoes,tabasco sauce,salsa,tomatoes in all forms.
all canned foods and any processed foods.
No vegetable oils,fast foods except wendys and chic fila they have a great gluten safe
flu shots

70-80 percent of our immune system is in our gut and when that malfunctions everything malfunctions. Healing the gut is key.

above all gluten is the number one cause of autoimmunity and there are 24 other foods that create the same response. he tests not only the foods but specific organs to see which are being targeted by the attacks. It truly is a life saving program but just the diet stuff has helped me so far.
Old 08-21-2013, 07:45 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Also read "Why isn't my brain working" by Datis Kharazian excellent book!
Old 08-23-2013, 03:31 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Seeking
Stats: 265/241/170
WOE: Low Carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSN08 View Post
Foods to avoid
Fruits-Bananas,canned fruits,dried fruits,mango,pineapple,raisins,watermelon and cantelope.
Grains-amaranth,barley,buckwheat,bulgur,corn,couscous,kam ut,millet,oats,quinoa,rice,rye,spelt,wheat,wheat germ.
Nuts and Seeds- almonds,peanuts,sunflower seeds,sesame seeds.
Gluten containing compounds- hydrolyzed plant or vegetable protein,malt vinegar and flavoring,modified food starch,msg,seitan,stabilizers,spices and textured vegetable protein.
Dairy products-butter,cheese,milk from any animals, (he recommends replacing with almond or cocount milk),mayo,whey,yogurt and margarine.
Soy-edamame,miso,soy milk,soy protein,soy sauce,tempeh,tofu.
Fungi-edible fungi and mushrooms
All alcohol
beans and legumes
nightshade foods-paprika,eggplant,peppers,potatoes,tabasco sauce,salsa,tomatoes in all forms.
all canned foods and any processed foods.
No vegetable oils,fast foods except wendys and chic fila they have a great gluten safe
flu shots
But what's left to eat? I'd starve!!!!
Seeking is offline   Reply With Quote