Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Thyroid (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/thyroid/)
-   -   *Please Help - I FEEL AWFUL w/Generic Cytomel - Is Brand Cytomel Better?* (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/thyroid/808829-please-help-i-feel-awful-w-generic-cytomel-brand-cytomel-better.html)

HotPants 07-28-2013 01:15 PM

*Please Help - I FEEL AWFUL w/Generic Cytomel - Is Brand Cytomel Better?*

Hi Hypo Friends,

I'm on 1 grain Armour Thyroid daily, and have been taking for about 2.5 weeks. I instantly noticed a positive change, and still feel good on the Armour, although right around the 2 week mark I started to feel like it was time do what my doctor instructed: begin the 5mcg 2x/day of Cytomel at the 14 day mark.

I was expecting increased energy and motivation, even if a little bit "palpy" in the beginning. I was ready for jitters and my sister was with me in case I had too much energy. (God, I was looking forward to that.)

The opposite happened. I took the first pill on Friday morning and was absolutely flattened, and the 2nd pill around 4pm. By 7pm I was shivering in a perfectly warm restaurant, exhausted, couldn't walk without feeling achy.

I don't understand - the reviews for Cytomel are outstanding. Saturday was the same way. Just achy, exhausted, shivering around 8pm. It ruined my weekend with my sister, who was visiting from CA. I HAD to go to sleep by 10pm, and felt like crap all day.

My question is: is the generic THAT much more inferior than the brand Cytomel? I called the pharmacist, and mine is from Sigma Pharmaceuticals. I have an appt with my doc on Tuesday. I'm fairly certain that his prescription was for Brand Cytomel, and the pharmacy gave me the generic. This SUCKS.

Or, am I not aware of the possibility that initially generic (or brand) Cytomel can make you sleepy, but it gets better?

I'd really appreciate any feedback - we're going on vacation in a week and I can't bear to feel this way while we're supposed to be having a good time. Can't bear to be shivering and exhausted in a hotel room, unable to do anything. What a waste that would be.

Thank you!

Leo41 07-28-2013 01:34 PM

I began taking Cytomel before there was a generic, but last year my insurance company pressured me to try the generic by charging an outrageous amount for the brand--10x as expensive as the generic.

I lasted less than a month on the generic. I take Cytomel because I don't convert T4 well, and on the generic, my T3 tanked. I was so fatigued, I couldn't function. Taking the same dose as from the brand, I wasn't getting the same amount of hormone from the generic.

My endo wrote a letter to get me back on the brand Cytomel with a slight price break, but although it is still much more expensive than the generic, I would never go back.

My pharmacist tells me that many people seem to be doing OK on the generic T3, but I know I'm not one of them.

HotPants 07-28-2013 02:11 PM

Thank you so much Leo41. I appreciate your feedback so much. So you felt horrible on the generic, and then what was your reaction to Brand Cytomel? I think I may be like you in that I can't convert well. I did not want to complain, but yes, I could not function by 8-9pm both nights I took it (Friday and Saturday). Today is Sunday, and I just took my Armour today. My muscles and eyeballs (yes, my eybealls, when I look around the room it hurts) still hurt from the last 2 days. I really hope my doctor will give script and include DAW (dispense as written) even if I have to pay out of pocket for brand Cytomel. Last 48 hours have been hell.

inatic 07-28-2013 02:59 PM

i think it depends on which generic you get. Paddock or Sheesh i forgot the other brand. One was ok, one wasnt.

Leo41 07-28-2013 03:05 PM

Ileen- For me the problem was that once on the generic, I could not control where it came from. My insurance drug company (I do mail order to the price break) selects the source.

Hot Pants-
I've taken brand Cytomel for about 5 years--both before and after the generic. The 'symptoms' that I need more T3 are always the same--incredible fatigue and rapid weight gain on about 1,000 cal a day!

I did OK on T4 only (Synthroid) for about 5 years after initial diagnosis--and then my T3 suddenly 'tanked.' I have Hashimoto's, and my endo says that conversion problems are 'typical' in Hashimoto's. I could not function without Cytomel. I currently take 50 mcg Synthroid and 25 mcg Cytomel.

inatic 07-28-2013 03:08 PM

Yes, I understand Leo.. Some people were able to control it. I havent taken synthetics in a long time myself so I havent dealt with any of that. NDT is enough of a pain in its self! LOL

ravenrose 07-28-2013 03:56 PM

I have always taken the generic, as long as I have taken it. it's great, however, I may be taking more than I would with the brand name, who knows? I think as long as they stick to one generic, you can dose it to be what you need. if they keep switching around, it might be problematic.

inatic 07-28-2013 03:59 PM

it should say which company on the bottle, i believe.

HotPants 07-28-2013 04:14 PM

My pharmacist told me that it's made by Sigma Pharmaceuticals. There is nothing I can find about it.

Lokarbiebarbie 07-28-2013 06:47 PM

Sigma got the go ahead to make this in November, 2012. (If you research you'll find this). And they're actually saying it has a shelf life of two years and soon they'll be able to say three years. Um...I'm thinking it would have to have a lot of filler for it to be 'shelf stabile' that long. Hmmmmmm.... sigmapharm labs is who makes it. The article talks all about how it's 'cutting edge' formula is going to be the end all and be all cuz it's so shelf stabile..???

Goodness.

HotPants 07-28-2013 07:24 PM

Lokarbiebarbie, Thank you. Yes, I am aware that it's Sigma Pharmaceuticals, and yes, it was cleared in 2012 by the FDA. I didn't read the bit about shelf life. Gross. Other than that, there's NOTHING else I could glean from the internet, (which is curious, since everything is on the internet): No patient reviews, ratings, experiences. If a user review doesn't yet exist: let this be the first. IT'S AWFUL. I felt like garbage. Do not take this. Refuse this. Demand the brand on the spot. I'm kicking myself that I didn't insist the pharmacist give me brand Cytomel. I filled the prescription on July 11, (along with Armour) but didn't take the Sigma Liothryronine until Friday, which was the 2 week mark from date of treatment beginning (July 11 I started on Armour, with instruction to take "Cytomel" after 14 days.) How is this even acceptable to a patient? I'm going to the pharmacy to exchange this for Cytomel. Tomorrow. They better not ask for a new script from my doctor, especially since he wrote it for "Cytomel". Wish me luck.

watcher513 07-29-2013 03:02 AM

The generic liothyronine by Paddock didn't work for me when Kaiser switched to that from the Mylan generic which Did work for me. It took a little while until I knew I wasn't feeling right to figure out what they did.

I'm ordering the Mylan generic T3 from/through Costco (they order through their distributor but you Have to ask them to and specify Only Mylan). You don't need to be a member to get prescriptions from them. The only other place that would Order from Mylan is Walgreens. CVS won't/can't. Same with RiteAid.

It's a lot less expensive than brand Cytomel but it's still pricey. Around $91 for 100 ea. 25 mcg.

jiju1943 07-31-2013 08:48 PM

I am really glad I read this thread because I would not have known the pharmacy switched from brand name Cytomel to a generic. I thought something was fishy when the prescription was cheaper last time but it didn't occur to me that they had switched to a generic, but them Walmart changes prices on meds a lot anyway so I just didn't think. I have felt terrible for a good while now and now I know why.

I told them that my insurance would not pay for this so I would pay out of pocket and then they give me this garbage. I will be getting the real brand name here very soon and dare them to change it.

It was like pulling teeth to get a doctor to prescribe it in the first place.

Question, is it necessary to take an anabolic steroid with the Cytomel? I read that after a while muscle would be lost if not taking anabolic steroid, anyone heard of this?

watcher513 08-01-2013 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jiju1943 (Post 16539931)
I am really glad I read this thread because I would not have known the pharmacy switched from brand name Cytomel to a generic. I thought something was fishy when the prescription was cheaper last time but it didn't occur to me that they had switched to a generic, but them Walmart changes prices on meds a lot anyway so I just didn't think. I have felt terrible for a good while now and now I know why.

I told them that my insurance would not pay for this so I would pay out of pocket and then they give me this garbage. I will be getting the real brand name here very soon and dare them to change it.

It was like pulling teeth to get a doctor to prescribe it in the first place.

Question, is it necessary to take an anabolic steroid with the Cytomel? I read that after a while muscle would be lost if not taking anabolic steroid, anyone heard of this?

I've never heard of that so I don't know the answer.

Regarding the Cytomel vs. generic (Mylan which works for me). The Mylan works just fine for me. When I took brand Cytomel, I took just a little less because I found it was stronger. With Cytomel I took 10 mcg. 2x/day. With the Mylan I take 12.5 mcg. 2x/day.

Leo41 08-01-2013 01:07 AM

I have not only never heard this, but it makes no sense. Cytomel is not a medication; it's thyroid hormones (T3), and we take it when our body isn't producing sufficient T3 for us.

I read somewhere that bodybuilders use (misuse) Cytomel for some reason (I don't know why they take it), and that may explain the association with anabolic steroids.

inatic 08-01-2013 04:05 AM

i've taken t3/T4 and NDT for nearly 10yrs now for Hashi's.

I weight train for physique enhancement. I do not however, take any anabolic steriods. In fact, my levels are extremely low.

jiju1943 08-03-2013 06:00 AM

I really appreciate your replies, I guess I am just grasping at straws trying to understand why I feel so weak and wobbly.

HotPants 08-11-2013 03:00 PM

Thanks everyone for your replies, and to jiju1943, YES: I felt terrible on the generic cytomel (Liothyronine). Mine specifically was from Sigma Pharmaceuticals, so I cannot speak to your brand or experience, but I felt so ill on the generic. Since my last post n 7/28, I went to my doctor and he rewrote script and included DAW (dispense as written) for brand Cytomel. NIGHT AND DAY. I feel great. I had to pay $60 for the brand, but I don't mind. Our vacation was wonderful and I'm feeling good. Still only have been on Armour for a month and cytomel for 10 days, so it's only going to get better from here. If you're not feeling good on the generic cytomel, I urge you to find out why. In my case, the generic was nowhere close to the brand. Worth every penny.

BoniF 08-12-2013 07:50 AM

Cytomel

the generics are not the same they have different fillers and a lot us us cannot handle some of these. I've been on cytomel for 4 yrs as I too do not covert the 4. I still feel lousy. My insurance pays as my doctor called and told them I am allergic to generics. I just wish that the OLD Armour was back. My life has taken a nose dive since the reformulation. Ask your doctor if they can call the insurance or send a fax. Good luck!:sad:

HotPants 08-14-2013 04:31 PM

Thank you BoniF, and welcome! I see that you just joined. :) Yes, I was surprised to learn that a generic is NOT the same as brand. I just started with Armour on 7/11/2013, so I don't know what I'm missing. I do feel great on Armour and brand Cytomel. Happy to support you and everyone else in anyway that I can.

inatic 08-16-2013 07:38 PM

BoniF maybe try Westhroid P.
the tablets are crunchy!

WESTHROID-P Also made by RLC Labs (see Naturethroid above). Stated to contain natural desiccated thyroid (porcine) plus only two inactive ingredients: inulin (from chicory root) and medium chain triglycerides. Strengths are 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, 1 grain, 1 1/2, 2. One grain equals 65 mg total, which is composed of 38 mcg T4 and 9 mcg T3–the others (T2, T1 and calcitonin) aren’t measured. RLC states it’s gluten free. WP Thyroid