Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Thyroid
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2013, 10:55 AM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Pinot
Holtorf Med Group in Atlanta

Has anyone been to see Dr. Karen Bullington at the Holtorf Medical Group's Atlanta office (Marietta actually)?

The Holtorf website seems to indicate that the Atlanta office is new. I know it was news to me. Atlanta is a good 5 1/2 hour drive from me, but I am seriously thinking of making an appointment.

Any personal reviews regarding Holtorf Medical Group in general? My main hesitation is that they're probably very expensive.

I have an appointment with my TSH-loving endo on July 25 to get an ultrasound check on my nodules. Hoping and praying they have reduced in size. This endo will not test anything other than TSH. Said the other tests are "useless." Well, yeah, so is he, which is making Holtorf in Atlanta look very tempting.
Pinot is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-2013, 12:32 PM   #2
GME
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 Trying again...223/199/146 5'7
WOE: JUDDD/LC/Gluten Free
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
I go to the northern CA office and I would have probably molded into my couch by now if I had not.

It is fairly expensive. I paid about $600 for the first visit and $300 every six months now. They don't bill my insurance but they do give me a bill so I can. I get reimbursed about $90. They send me to a regular lab for my bloodwork so that goes through my insurance like anything else. My meds (which truly, truly keep me going every day) cost about $40/ month from their pharrmacy and I get reimbursed through my insurance later.

It seems like a lot of money, but it works out to about $50/a month out of pocket on average per month. Trust me, I was spending WAY more than that just on take-out because it was all I could do to get through my work day- even if I don't count my health and well-being.

7/27/14- Wharf to Wharf (6 miles)- I won! 9/14/14- Title 9K- I won! 11/9/14- Surfer's Path 10K- I won! 12/7/14- Jinglebell Rock 5K- I won!
2/7/15 - Together Love Run 5K, 3/22/15- She is Beautiful 10K, 4/12/15- Santa Cruz Half Marathon

*My definition of win: I didn't quit, didn't throw up, and they didn't close the course on me.
GME is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 05:40 PM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Pinot
GME - Thank you! That doesn't really sound too bad at all when you look at the whole picture. Of course, I'll have to factor in a night in a hotel, plus an 11 hour round trip, but, at this point, I'm willing to go for it.

Do you take a compounded thyroid med? And do you go just for thyroid treatment?
Pinot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:25 PM   #4
GME

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 Trying again...223/199/146 5'7
WOE: JUDDD/LC/Gluten Free
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
I take compounded T3 meds.

They did all kinds of tests to pinpoint the cause of my fatigue and other symptoms, but it came down to my thyroid.

I only live about an hour from the office I go to, but they offered me phone visits. Maybe you could do every other visit over the phone or start doing phone visits when you get stabilized. They charge the same, but at least you wouldn't have to make that drive.
GME is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 01:49 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kimmietoo
Stats: 350/269.2/??? 58 yo, hypothyroid age 8; menopausal
WOE: start JUDDD 01/24/13 at 310
Start Date: July 2009
I see a naturopathic doctor in Tyrone, GA who prescribes natural hormones and tests for other things besides TSH.

Her practice is covered under my insurance plan (United HealthCare) and bills them directly. There are occasional out of pocket costs if you have supplemental testing done, but it is clarified what those costs are before you incurr them.

I was allergic to one of the fillers on my initial dose of NatureThroid. I am now taking Westhroid-P with no adverse symptoms. We are in process of getting the doseage regulated and I currently have my labs run at a local Labcorp facility every two weeks and then talk with the doctor regarding any dose adjustments over the phone. She calls the prescriptions in to my local pharmacy.

Her name is Yolanda Wade, MD, and she practices at Trilogy Health and Wellness. Their phone number is 770-964-5230. They also have a website at trilogywellness.

She is compassionate, knowledgeable, responsive and helpful. Being covered on my plan is a huge bonus.

She has many patients that travel a great distance to see her. I have been poorly treated for my hypothyroidism for a very long time; this is the first time in decades that I have hope again.

Kimmie
Kimmietoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 04:15 PM   #6

Gallery: inatic
Stats: 182+/126 5'4 51!yo 16/4 *5* kidlets later!
WOE: Coach:Erik Ledin leanbodies consulting
Start Date: LowER C since 2/02 wt training 10/15/02
Thanks for sharing Kimmie. Have you added her to the Georgia Yahoo Thyroid group? We have so few drs in the Ga area that are good.

I havent been to this office as of yet either and thus far no one on the Ga group has said they've gone yet either. I know the Ca group is amazing. They have one in Pa as well.
inatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 04:53 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kimmietoo
Stats: 350/269.2/??? 58 yo, hypothyroid age 8; menopausal
WOE: start JUDDD 01/24/13 at 310
Start Date: July 2009
I will do the add to the Yahoo Group---

I actually found her after the referral from there to the NatureThroid site for physicians who prescribe dessicated thyroid.

Yes, you are so right about the difficulty in getting decent treatment in Georgia for thyroid issues. It has been a real nightmare for me...and for many others, too.

Thyroid Sexy and Hypothyroid Mom user groups on Facebook are also wonderful resources for us.

Kimmie
Kimmietoo is offline   Reply With Quote