Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Thyroid
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2013, 03:44 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: neonalee
hypo? thyroid meds?

Hello,
I have been researching paleo & low carb eating and found this board. I was diagnosed with a (probably) non-cancerous goiter at the end of last year. It's large but I'm not suffering symptoms from it specifically. The ENT & Endo both say I'll need to have it removed eventually, but aren't concerned with it, with any of my test results, or with why it might have happened in the first place.

I've done a lot of google researching and am currently trying Dr. Brownstein's iodine protocol + multi & iron. I hope to get an ultrasound to compare goiter size in a couple more months. I am considering taking the T4 meds because we hope to become pregnant later this year. The endo did say I would have to be on T4 if that happened. It seems better to start now and try to get an appropriate dosage since it would need to be doubled during pregnancy?

My thoughts on all this are all over the place. I'm overwhelmed and feeling hopeless. Will I have to be on meds my whole life or can I heal this? Will my hair fall out on T4 (getting married in a month)? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

*RT3: 25 range 11 - 32
*FT3: 3.1 range 2.3 - 4.2
*TgAb: <20 range 0 - 20
*TPO: <10 range 0 - 34
*Vit D ttl: 38 range 30 - 100
*Vit B12: 624 range 200 - 1100
*Folate: 19 range 5.5 - 24
*Sodium: 140 range 135 - 146;
*Potassium: 4.7 range 3.5 - 5.3
*Magnesium: 2.0 range 1.5 - 2.5
*total Iron: 72 range 40 - 175
*TIBC: 244 range 250 - 450;
*Saturation 30%; 25 – 45%,
*Ferritin 42 range 10 - 154
*Cortisol: 11.3 range 4.0 - 22.0
*total Estrogens: 271
*Progesterone: 18.4

TSH and FT4 were done in November:
TSH: .66 range .40 - 4.50
FT4: 0.9 (don't have the ranges)
neonalee is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-2013, 05:09 PM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: watcher513
I'm guessing the first big list of results were from now? You have to get thyroid labs All done at the same time. Can't look at 1/2 from last November and the other 1/2 from now.

Anyway, the mid-range for that FT3 range is 3.25 so you're just a little under mid-range. T3 is our energy.
watcher513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 08:18 AM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Oh, sorry for omitting that! The November labs were end of November, or maybe December. The rest were either January or February (she refused to rerun the 2 that had already been run). I might actually have to just pay for more labs myself. My GP ran those and last time I went to see her (a couple weeks ago) she refused to run anything other than TSH and T4. Which came back "normal". There aren't any good docs in my area so I either go with conventional treatment or ... I don't really know
Old 06-30-2013, 08:20 AM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Also, I was thinking about this a lot last night. My DH keeps telling me he thinks I'm depressed and I think he's right. I might take the meds for that reason. Something really needs to change.
Old 06-30-2013, 05:50 PM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

You could always sign up with healthcheckusa or directlabs online and get their tests done. $85 or under (if there's a sale) at healthcheckusa for their Thyroid Panel II (TSH, Free T4, Free T3). They send results back to you via email and within a week or so by mail. I do this because my medical will not run FT3 tests. It's another option.

Try to think of them as hormone replacement because our body stopped producing them as welll as it should or used to, instead of 'medicine'.
Old 07-01-2013, 12:05 PM   #6
Junior LCF Member

I ordered those last night Gonna get the results and start making some decisions. You are right about changing the terminology in my head. It will make a big difference.
Old 07-05-2013, 04:43 PM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I just noticed last night on the healthcheckusa site that their price for the Thyroid Panel II went up $30. That seems like a big jump. It must have happened on 7/1. Will probably check Direct Labs.