TSH 2.5 (0.4-4.0mU/l)
Anti TPO 6 (-35 U/ml)
Cortisol .32 (0.20-0.70 umol/l)
ACTH 3.5 (1.5-10.0 pmol/l)
Insulin <5.0 (-15 mU/l)
C-Peptide 0.38 (0.2-1.2 nmol/l)
LH 3.8
FSH 5.6

Probably most important to see are the anti TGB and whatever TSH rec.ant. translates to (I believe that's the antibodies test for Graves whereas the TGB is for Hashimoto's), but those were both sent to an external lab and I don't have them here. Will call the hospital to see.

I am interested in the fact that my vit. D is lowish. I'm reading up since hearing from y'all about it and I have the impression that it can be a cause and/or effect of endo problems generally. Is that right?

I read that Dr. Shames recommends 2000 iu for maintenance and 4000 for people on the lower end. I thought I'd start with 3000.... just to see if I feel improvement.

I've seen elsewhere that ppl begin with 5000 but I'm still not certain I have a thyroid issue and don't want to jump in without knowing enough. The doctor's appt is Aug 14, so only two more weeks. Will I have felt a change in my energy levels, according to your own experiences?

BTW, I've been seeing an acupuncturist; maybe that explains the improvement in my TSH?

Here are the older labs so you don't have to go scrolling to compare:
T3 1.3, so low in a range of 1.1-3.1
TSH 3.7, so high in a range of .4-4
Insulin 9.2, in a range up to 15 (seems solidly normal)
C-Peptide .82, in a range of .2-1.2 (although the doctor said it would be better to see this at 1 and a month later it was down to .47.
Cortisol 0.3 in a range of .20 - .70
ACTH 4.3 in a range of 1.5 - 10.0.
Free T4 16 in a range of 10-24
Anti-TPO 6, where the range is up to 35.

Would appreciate any feedback!!!
positivity is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-2013, 10:22 AM   #32
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lokarbiebarbie
Stats: 185/120/125
WOE: Atkins 1972
Start Date: December 2008
Still no Free T3. ?? Just T3 is what's circulating around in your body, and not what you are able to 'utilize'. Free T3 shows exactly what's actually there to use, and it's usually much LOWER than just T3. Putting a Total T3 with a Free T4 is 'apples and oranges'.

Your T3 is JUST in bottom of range, showing how hypothyroid you are. TSH doesn't mean a whole lot if you're not converting any T4 into T3. My Thyroid doctor doesn't even do TSH. I can have allllllll the T4 in the WORLD and still feel horrid because I dont' convert any of it into T3 (the energy, feel better, no aches, less inflammation, libido part of thyroid hormone).

My TSH started at .023 (yes, not a typo, yet I had barely any T3 at all, and T4 that was over middle of range...which shows I was not converting..for YEARS all the docs JUST went by my TSH, and I finally found a doctor who knew what he was doing).

My TSH is STILL .023 or a little lower, showing that TSH is not a good test to titrate incoming hormone or diagnose.

Best of luck.
Lokarbiebarbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 11:58 AM   #33
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
I have Hashi's, and when my T3 'tanked' due to conversion problems, my numbers were close to yours--my TSH was 2.6, and my T3 was just below the lab range. I was so fatigued that I could barely get out of bed, and my weight began to increase, despite eating just about 1,000 cal a day.

The T3 is the 'active' thyroid hormone, and problems converting T4 to T3 (which you seem to be experiencing) is, according to my endo "characteristic' of Hashi's.

If you have trouble converting, you should take T3 (Cytomel).

Two notes--My endo tested both free and total T3 at the time, and mine were almost identical, so there isn't necessarily a big difference between them for someone like me who takes no other hormones or Rx.

Also, the blood test for Hashi's is unreliable. I never tested positive for Hashi's via my labs, but when I had a biopsy of a thyroid nodule, the pathologist was able to diagnose Hashi's from the tissue and fluid retrieved. That's definitive, according to my doctors. So if you don't show a high enough antibody level on your labs, you can't be sure you don't have Hashi's.
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 03:01 PM   #34
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: positivity
Thanks, both of you. What do you think about D3? Should I begin right now? How much? I'm curious to see if just taking that between now and the appt (when I'll probably get T3 or else a combination) would show any improvement. What dose is recommendable in my case?
positivity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 04:23 PM   #35
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lokarbiebarbie
Stats: 185/120/125
WOE: Atkins 1972
Start Date: December 2008
I think most women need to supp Vit.D3...but I prefer to let my doctor say whether or not I should take more than just 2000IU daily. My doctor started me on a prescription vit. D3 of 10,000 IU's a week (once a week). I now get mine up about 110 in the same range as yours is. Vitaimin D3 helps a 'healthy thyroid' make it's own hormones. In other words, if you have the most common type of hypothyroidism (autoimmune)..um..it's not a healthy thyroid.
Lokarbiebarbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 05:07 PM   #36
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
I supplemented D3 on my own after my first test came back so low. I ask my primary to check it every 6 or 8 months to see how I'm doing so that I keep a steady level.

I began taking 2,000 IU daily, but after 6 months, it was higher but not very much. I raised it to 4,000 IU daily and got it to a good level. I've continued at 2,000 IU to maintain that level.

I was surprised at how much 'better' I felt in a general way once I raised my D3.
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote