Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Thyroid
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2013, 12:28 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: lulubell
Appointment with Dr. Cacciola (NJ) - what to expect?

I have an upcoming appointment with Dr. Cacciola in Paramus, and would love to hear from any of his patients regarding what to expect. Feel free to PM me if you'd prefer. I've seen him recommended here, but just generally. Fortunately, he takes my insurance and apparently does the bloodwork there, rather than sending me a script to have it done ahead of time.

I was diagnosed with Graves a number of years ago, took meds, went into remission, and have now apparently swung hypo. I went to a new Endo about a month ago. He ran limited tests and declared my numbers within range, but did offer to put me on Synthroid to see if it would make me feel better. I decided to get a second opinion with Dr. Cacciola, because if I'm going to take Synthroid, I want to know if I also need Cytomel, or possibly Armour instead. I've held off starting on it so as not to skew my upcoming bloodwork.

When I was diagnosed, I was seeing a different "top docs" Endo in southern Jersey. While I liked him a lot on a personal level, and in terms of treatment, he became more and more unresponsive over time. Dr. Cacciola is also a little easier to get to.

Thanks!
lulubell is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-16-2013, 02:38 PM   #2
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
I don't know when your appointment is, but you may consider calling to see if you can go in for your labs in advance.

My endo also does the labs at his office, and when I first went to him, they did the blood draw when I came for my appointment. but I found that it was a 'wasted' appointment if he didn't have current labs in front of him when we met. If I had any symptoms to report, he needed to see the numbers before he would discuss a dosage change.

So now (for the past 6 years), I go in for my blood draw a week before my regular appointment, and when we meet, he has the latest numbers.

In fact, I was having low T3 symptoms a couple of months ago, and when I called to see if I could talk to him about my symptoms, the receptionist suggested that I come in for a blood draw first, as he'd need to see the lab results before he could diagnose. I did, and it worked out great.

A good endo will diagnose based on both symptoms and lab results, so it's good if you can provide both at the same time.
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 03:12 PM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: lulubell
Leo - I was wondering the same thing. On the other hand, perhaps some doctors prefer to meet with the patient first to fine-tune exactly what blood work to do - e.g. tests over and above what they might normally do. But like you, I hate to waste an appointment.
lulubell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 03:41 AM   #4
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
lulu-
In your situation, I'd leave it the way it is for the first appointment (I did that with my endo), and then if you continue with him, you can suggest doing the labs in advance.

When I suggested it to my endo, he happily agreed, and I was surprised that it isn't done that way routinely. However, some people may object to coming in twice. I have a long drive, but it's worth it to me.
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 05:46 PM   #5
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: inatic
Stats: 182+/126 5'4 51!yo 16/4 *5* kidlets later!
WOE: Coach:Erik Ledin leanbodies consulting
Start Date: LowER C since 2/02 wt training 10/15/02
my doc did first appt then labs but follow ups labs are done then office visit..
inatic is offline   Reply With Quote