Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Thyroid (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/thyroid/)
-   -   Thyroid testing in UK? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/thyroid/805766-thyroid-testing-uk.html)

Avicenna 06-09-2013 03:15 AM

Thyroid testing in UK?

Does anyone have any suggestions about where to get comprehensive thyroid testing in the UK? (A NHS doctor, a private doctor, a holistic doctor?)

I went to my NHS GP about this a couple years ago, but he wouldn't take my request seriously.

Lokarbiebarbie 06-09-2013 03:36 AM

There are doctors in the UK that do good thyroid care. If you look up top thyroid doctors you should get a list. A doctor must sign an order for FT's and TPO AB, etc. unfortunately in the UK. And most the docs on the lists are 'out of pocket' doctors and not NHS.

Avicenna 06-10-2013 12:08 AM

Thanks, I'll have a look. I don't mind paying as long as I can afford it at this point!

Tiggy 06-16-2013 05:04 AM

Avicenna,
You can get your own bloodwork drawn if you dont mind paying for it youself - look up londonbloodtests. Its run by Blue Medical and there are lications across the UK where you go to have the sample taken and they email you the results. There is a discount code from TPA UK.

Dr Skinner in Birmingham and Dr Peatfield are progressive thyroid drs who come highly recommended. Both are private - but Peatfield is now under complimentary medicine. I can recommend Nigma Talib, Healthydoc, a naturopath, personally,

I don't know any GP/NHS routes that have had good results. If your tests come back out of range, then you could use them get a referral via you GP. If they come back within range, but low (see the Thyroid Patients Advisory group site) then go and see Skinner.

I had such a palava with mine - took three years, was told I was so healthy, they had never seen bloods so good! My FT4 was .1 above bottom of the range and an avg daily temp of 36.1, ferritin, B12, D and calcium were all below ranges! Am now on 6grains of Armour and finally feeling better.

If you are able to fund it yourself, it will be the best investment you can make.

Hope that helps!

Avicenna 06-18-2013 04:38 AM

That is helpful, thanks. Do you know how much it usually costs to see a private GP or naturopath?

I contacted a holistic/natural doctor who offers comprehensive thyroid tests too but her prices are very expensive - 300 for the first visit, 180 for subsequent visits, plus the cost of testing. I *am* willing to pay (up until a point)... but it seems like it would be over 500 and that is a big financial investment for me (particularly if it turns out there isn't a thyroid problem). Do you know if these rates are standard?

Avicenna 06-18-2013 07:24 AM

... Anyway, after searching online for the blood tests you mentioned, I was encouraged by the fact that the ThyroidUK website had a voucher code for a discount with that blood test company so I decided to get the tests first and then see where to go from there (at least if there is an obvious problem it should be apparent) - thanks again - and for those who are looking for private tests, the voucher might be useful.

At any rate, it will be more useful than my first appointment with the NHS GP, at which I was informed I was fat and sternly told not to gain any more weight. (Although, no advice was given on how to accomplish that)

Tiggy 06-18-2013 09:00 AM

I had that from a supposed to notch professor of Endo! What a load of bollocks - in front of him was my bottomed out FT4, doubled TSH, low Ferritin yadda yadda yadda! Oh yes, we are all just fat because we enjoy it and did it deliberately! Just ignore them! And if they actually read the research behind the calorie deficit, they wouldn't be poffering such ludacris advice!

Glad you found the TPA website, I would suggest you order their patients advice booklet, its brilliant. I always use their voucher. Oops, think I sent you to the wrong site, TAP is the Thyroid Advisory Patients group.

Dr Skinner charges 150 a session I hear, but don't quote me on that.

Nigma Talib, the naturopath, charges 150 plus all the extra testing

I would get your results first, use one of the many groups for people's input on them and then decide whether you can invest in a visit to Dr Skinner.

PM if you have any other questions! Good luck!

Avicenna 06-21-2013 05:51 AM

So...my results came back within normal range but borderline (as before), and I'd like to pursue it. Do you think it is better to go to someone like Dr Talib or Dr Skinner? I contacted Dr Talib and it seems she takes a fully natural approach (ie no conventional medicine) - do you think that type of approach is effective, or do you think it is better to go to someone who will prescribe medication?

(I am not a big fan of medication but if it can help, then that would be great.)

I would have contacted Dr Skinner first but Birmingham is further away for me and the time and cost of travelling there is another thing to take into account (I'd have to take the day off of work to go there, and go by train), although I would go if he could help sort things out.

Lokarbiebarbie 06-21-2013 10:34 AM

Hmmm...the doctor takes a 'fully natural' approach? Does that mean that doctor Rx's 'natural dessicated thyroid'? Because that's Armour Thyroid or Naturethroid, or in the UK generally known as 'Thyroid'. So...there's no 'medication' for hypothyroidism...it's replacement HORMONE. You WANT 'natural dessicated thyroid'...so you might call and ask that Doctor if her 'natural approach' is herbs and supplements or does she actually prescribe natural dessicated thyroid. HTH

Tiggy..you are wonderful! Always wonderful when someone comes forward to offer help to OP ...especially being from same 'area'.

Tiggy 06-23-2013 04:04 PM

Hi Avicenna,
It is probably better to go to Skinner to be honest, only because he has the ability to prescribe Armour (or its equivalent). I don't think Nigma can prescribe (though she will probably treat your adrenals and other deficiencies which go hand in hand with subclinical hypo). Or there is Peatfield who I think has a day in London once a month?

My results were also borderline: at the end 2011, my TSH was .9 (it had been .7 for the last ten years) then by May 2012, it had doubled to 1.7. My FT4 dropped from a steady 15.4 down to the bottom of the range, 12.6. My FT3 had also dropped to the bottom of the range. I cannot say how bad I felt - to be told that I was only just fat and that was why I felt so bad!

At the same time this was happening, I had to come off Dianette (it caused me blood pressure problems) and Metformin - both of these affect your test results - metformin supresses TSH and artificially inflates Ft4! Together, they can mask hypo.

Nigma put me on a course to treat adrenal fatigue and I started on Armour prescribed by a naturopath in Canada (since I just couldn't bear to live like that, and hadn't discovered Skinner yet). I worked my way up and am now on 6gr a day - which is high but common with people who had fibromyalgia (which is how my hypo actually manifested itself).

So after a long story! I think Skinner or Peatfield might be your best bets for now. Only see someone who will prescribe Armour (or any dessicated thyroid). Taking a synthetic T4 is not the way you want to go. Skinner will write your GP and ensure you can have continuing prescriptions. If you can, buy the book from the Thyroid Patients Advocacy as it is so helpful, I can't say how much it helped.

In terms of supplements to help your thyroid, I use BioCare TH27, Nutri's Thyroid and Selenium as well as Magnesium and others, but these are the main ones for thyroid support. My fav place for these so far has been Yournutritionshop.

pm me if you have any other questions. All the best!!! You will get there in the end!

(Lokarbiebarbie, am always happy to help! So many different people on different boards have been so helpful over the years with lab results, tips, etc that will always try and repay the favour!)