Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Thyroid
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2013, 08:43 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Anjanette
Low T3 but normal t4 and THS. Confused!

Help! I am very confused.
I went to my local doctor (my primary PCP was booked for a long time), due to worsening hypothyroid symptoms.
I have been on a 1200-1450 calorie / day diet for almost a year (apart from a few moments when frustration took over) . I have always been active and exercise 4-6 times per week (30-40 minutes of cardio/stregth each) I have gained 10 pounds in the last year.
I have been treated for mild depression/anxiety for years with 75mg. of zoloft. I was treated for irregular menstrual cycles, stubborn constipation (just recently), and fatigue. My hair and nails are brittle and skin dry and itchy.
I have a family history of Thyroid issue on BOTH sides of my family. My father and his mother were both "Hypothyroid", and treated with medication.
I am a 42 year old woman, and when I went to the doc. asking about a thyroid test, he seemed to be rolling his eyes at me.
Here were my results;
T3 72 (76-181)
T4 (Free) 1.0 (0.8 - 1.8)
TSH .74 (.4 - 4.5)
The doc said that this was indicitive of "Hypothyroid" and prescribed 50 mcg of Synthroid.
I immediately called my PCP with the results, and she disagreed that I should jump to Thyroid Medicine, based on normal TSH. She suggested that I, at least, reduce the Synthroid to 25mcg. She also suggested that I add Cytomel, for T3.
I am confused that my T3 is a little low, but the rest seems okay. My TSH, T3 and Free T4 were done in the middle of the afternoon...no fasting.
What should I do!
Help!
Anjanette is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-18-2013, 02:31 PM   #2
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Sleepingduty
Stats: 144/127/125
WOE: Low Carb/JUDD
Start Date: 2012
Thyroid lab tests

Hi Anjanette,
I have been through hypothyroid testing, and I am currently taking armour thyroid. I have issues with doctors that treat on the basis of 1 test (TSH) and then prescribe Synthroid. First, educate yourself by looking at stop the thyroid madness website. Doctors these days are educated about drugs by drug companies. That's why 2 of your doctors are ignoring your symptoms and your T3 and T4 levels. What I learned after combing through the STTM website was..TSH means little. Free T3 and T4 levels should be on the higher end of normal, they say at least 2/3 of normal. Synthroid is a synthetic form of thyroid that only contains T4. Armour thyroid is a natural porcine product that contains T3 and T4. You already know yourself you are having symptoms and you need help, but I don't think giving you a token synthetic T4 product would be in your best interest. I would predict if you start taking a small dose of Synthroid, you will not feel better maybe worse. I suggest you find a physician that is willing to treat with Armour, go on the basis of your symptoms, and also consider other hormone levels including estrogen, progesterone, testosterone, and cortisol. Also look at reverse t3. The practitioner I use is open to alternative medicine, but is also an MD too. I hope I haven't confused you further, just trying to give you food for thought (low carb of course)
QUOTE=Anjanette;16429818]Help! I am very confused.
went to my local doctor (my primary PCP was booked for a long time), due to worsening hypothyroid symptoms.
I have been on a 1200-1450 calorie / day diet for almost a year (apart from a few moments when frustration took over) . I have always been active and exercise 4-6 times per week (30-40 minutes of cardio/stregth each) I have gained 10 pounds in the last year.
I have been treated for mild depression/anxiety for years with 75mg. of zoloft. I was treated for irregular menstrual cycles, stubborn constipation (just recently), and fatigue. My hair and nails are brittle and skin dry and itchy.
I have a family history of Thyroid issue on BOTH sides of my family. My father and his mother were both "Hypothyroid", and treated with medication.
I am a 42 year old woman, and when I went to the doc. asking about a thyroid test, he seemed to be rolling his eyes at me.
Here were my results;
T3 72 (76-181)
T4 (Free) 1.0 (0.8 - 1.8)
TSH .74 (.4 - 4.5)
The doc said that this was indicitive of "Hypothyroid" and prescribed 50 mcg of Synthroid.
I immediately called my PCP with the results, and she disagreed that I should jump to Thyroid Medicine, based on normal TSH. She suggested that I, at least, reduce the Synthroid to 25mcg. She also suggested that I add Cytomel, for T3.
I am confused that my T3 is a little low, but the rest seems okay. My TSH, T3 and Free T4 were done in the middle of the afternoon...no fasting.
What should I do!
Help![/QUOTE]
Sleepingduty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 04:31 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lokarbiebarbie
Stats: 185/120/125
WOE: Atkins 1972
Start Date: December 2008
I agree with Sleepingduty..BUT....there are areas of the US where you just can't GET a doctor to write for Armour. Or natural thyroid.

So, the offer of giving Cytomel (synthetic T3) would be something I'd want to jump on.
Lokarbiebarbie is offline   Reply With Quote