Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Thyroid
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2013, 04:42 PM   #1
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: jiggles
Nature-Throid and lab test timing question

I see a NP for my hypothyroidism but she's on a health sabbatical right now. Before she went out I had my thyroid levels checked and I was doing okay. I can't remember now though, if I'm supposed to take my Nature-Throid before having have the blood work done.

I have an appt on Friday with a new MD just for my annual checkup. I'll have her do the usual cholesterol test and that kind of stuff but I'm also going to make sure she does the free T3 and free T4 while they're at it.

Should I take my NT in the morning as usual or wait until after the test?

I could email my NP but she may not respond in time.
jiggles is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-12-2013, 08:08 PM   #2

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
the problem is doctors mostly don't KNOW what they want you to do. I find it incredibly frustrating. in an ideal world, you would take your meds something like 3 hours before the test, and the test would give your highest levels.

BUT most doctors look at whatever number comes up and don't take into account whether it's your high or low time. I have a very respected endo, and he doesn't even have a preference, let alone tell me when to take things. dumb.

the truth is, if you take your meds as I have suggested, they may cut your dose, because they are afraid of side effects. Sometimes it's better not to take them and show the doc lower levels so they give you the meds you need.

it's unfortunate that this gives a less than useful test. we WANT to know that we don't have too much of the stuff, you know?

I'm sure others will have more information for you, I am not an expert, this is just my experience.
Old 05-13-2013, 01:05 AM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: watcher513
There split thinking on this subject. I take my T4 and T3 and get tested 5 hours after taking the AM dose.
watcher513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 06:48 AM   #4
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: jiggles
If all goes as planned on Friday I would be having the lab test about 4.5 - 5 hours after I normally take the Nature-throid.

So, I don't know if that makes a difference or not.
jiggles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 03:36 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lokarbiebarbie
Stats: 185/120/125
WOE: Atkins 1972
Start Date: December 2008
If your doctor 'freaks' at high FT3 and FT4 testing and very low TSH, then no, don't take it the morning of. Personally..I'd not take it the morning of. Unless the doctor discusses it with you beforehand.
Lokarbiebarbie is offline   Reply With Quote