Start Date: 11/24/05
Thyroid gurus

Tsh 1.79 Range .40-4.5
T3 total. 82. Range 76-181
T4 free 1.1. Range .8-1.8
T4 total 6.6. Range 4.5-12
T3 uptake 29. Range 22-35
T4 free calculated 1.9. Range 1.4- 3.8

Back story.....I've had chronic idiopathic urticaria since 10/30. Every test known to man has come back negative. I've read a great deal that autoimmune can cause this condition. I asked for antibodies to be run and the endo forgot. She says my thyroid is perfect Thoughts? I'm just trying to make 100% sure
Jesus wept John 11:35
September 11, 2001
Bluqq is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-2013, 10:17 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lokarbiebarbie
Stats: 185/120/125
WOE: Atkins 1972
Start Date: December 2008
There is no Free T3 there. they did a 'total' (and look at where THAT is...it's just barely in range)...a T3 uptake is just another T4 test (for binding). I'd most certainly want a Free T3 (I learned about 20 years ago that any doctor who does a FT4 and then a Total T3 doesn't know a whole lot about thyroid...and that's when I looked at recommendations for thyroid doctors in my area and went to one of those...they knew to not do the 'apples and oranges' method...one free and one total, lol).

Btw....you still do need the TPO AB (antibodies). There are labs online where you can order those tests you still need and pay online, they send you to a lab near you.

If the doctor you went to is one that ONLY give T4 hormone (not T3) then that doctor is 'used' to seeing a T4 that is in good range, and not used to where T3 'should be' in most people.

I see you are in NY...most likely the city? Perhaps post a new thread with 'thyroid docs in NYC or near who do FT's and give T3'. And see what you come up with. I do have the name of a doctor who does 'good thyroid' in New Jersey...many of us travel long distances to see a good thyroid doctor (and that doesn't mean an endocrinologist in some cases).
Lokarbiebarbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:38 AM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Bluqq
Stats: at birth weight, lucky for mom she had big hips
Thanks!!!! I'm so darn confused with it all
Old 04-11-2013, 02:38 PM   #4
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
I gave you a physician recommendation on your other thread, but I suspect you're not going to get the answers you want for the following reasons:

1. Your lab number show no indication of thyroid problems.

2. If you want to test for autoimmune (Hashimoto's) that's difficult because false negatives are rampant. I have Hashi's, but my lab values never showed a high antibody level--it was diagnosed when I had a biopsy of a thyroid nodule. The way I understand it, unless the blood is drawn at the time the thyroid is being attacked, the antibody level probably isn't sufficient for a diagnosis. If you wind up testing and get a negative, don't assume that you don't have Hashi's as I had multiple negative tests prior to the biopsy.

3. I have had idiopathic urticaria, and my dermatologist never mentioned autoimmune. She suggested that a lot of urticaria is caused by minor environmental factors that we have temporary contact with. And in at least 80% of the cases, the irritant is never identified. It makes sense to me because I had severe episodes for about 4 months--but that was 7 years ago, and I haven't had a single episode since.
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 04:05 PM   #5

Thanks Leo! I have had it since 10/3o. I have severe angioedema as well....I'm tired of looking like the elephant girl I've been tested for everything...and I mean everything. No luck
Old 04-12-2013, 01:32 AM   #6
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
I know how you feel! I was sure it was a shampoo or soap. THEN I was certain it was a food allergy. Everything was negative.

It kept coming back, and I was getting desperate. Then it suddenly stopped--and hasn't yet recurred.

It's maddening not to know the cause. The dermatologist assurred me that I'm not a freak of nature, and that this is very common.
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 03:49 AM   #7

It is common! Google turns up thousands of threads about it. I've experimented with all types of meds and I'm fairly controlled now with Zyrtec and singular daily....doxepin for severe days.....I'm scared to death to stop the Zyrtec to see if they are gone ( haven't had an outbreak since Sunday) ....it's insane
Old 04-12-2013, 03:02 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lokarbiebarbie
Stats: 185/120/125
WOE: Atkins 1972
Start Date: December 2008
That Total T3 would give my doctor cause to do FT3 and he wants that quite a bit above where yours is. It would signal in MY case that further testing is needed.

Along with good incoming thyroid replacement, I also take Zyrtec on a daily basis and another drug (it's like Singulair, much more expensive but I'm allergic to a bonding agent in Singulair)...haven't had urticarial since my T3 was replaced adequately for 'me'.
Lokarbiebarbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 03:33 PM   #9

Omg you had it too? This is why I am so nuts on the thyroid....I've read so many people have had it stop once balanced.....what does the t3 do?
Old 04-12-2013, 06:37 PM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: watcher513
T3 is our Energy. Your's is barely In the range. Total T3 is what's In the body. Free T3 is what's Available to be Used by the body = huge difference in the two.
watcher513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:29 PM   #11
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 And again...223/215.0/146 5'7
WOE: Misc.
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
Besides free T3, you also need a reverse T3 test.

Reverse T3 works to "clean up" any extra free T3 because too much can be dangerous- kind of like how insulin cleans up too much blood sugar.

My reverse T3 was at the high end of range and my free T3 at the low and the two combined to leave me almost no T3 to use and I always felt like I had been hit by a truck.
GME is offline   Reply With Quote