Old 04-03-2013, 04:59 PM   #1
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Psmileyf
Stats: 215/184/167
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 8/1/2011- renewed efforts 8/1/2014
Doctor's appointment

Saw my primary today.
My TSH is 3.75, which is still "normal" but higher than the 1.81 and 1.92 from the previous 2 test.

I have goiters and the antibodies indicating hanshimoto's, but since my TSH is normal the endo I went to does not want to treat. I have a recommendation for a new endo, but it is going to take me about 9 months to get in with her.

In addition to all of that, I have heavy periods, night sweats, weight gain, and hot flashes...which may or may not be related.

So, my primary gave me a script for 14 new blood test, including free T3 and free T4.

One of the other test she is running, but I don't know which one, she said requires me to go on day 3 of my cycle.
So, usually I bleed heavy!
Last night I spotted, today I was flowing normal and now I am spotting again. I'm leaning towards not counting yesterday, so today is day 1, tomorrow is day 2 and I get the test on Friday.
It is too late to confirm with my doc's office because she said it has to be fasting and first thing in the morning.

Thoughts on the testing?
Thoughts in general?
Psmileyf is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-2013, 04:16 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lokarbiebarbie
Stats: 185/120/125
WOE: Atkins 1972
Start Date: December 2008
Only that if a doctor won't treat with all the thyroid symptoms YOU have then I'd certainly ask why.

Hopefully she is doing estradiol, estriol, estrone, testosterone, free testosterone and progesterone testing. It won't throw it that much off if you go the one more day in counting or not. Just doing an FSH is 'cheesy as doing just a TSH'.
Lokarbiebarbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 05:46 AM   #3
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Your TSH is not 'normal.' Many of the lab ranges go up to 5.0, but several years ago, the national group of endos reduced the range to 3.0. Anything above 3.0 is considered potentially hypothyroid (depending on T4 and T3 and symptoms), and most good thyroid doctors will treat anyone with a TSH over 2.0 who also is symptomatic--as you seem to be.

It's a shame that you can't get into the new endo for 9 months, but my own guy is usually booked almost a year in advance. When I made my first appointment with him about 6 years ago, I had to wait 3 months, but just a couple of years later, a friend of mine was told that the wait was 8 months (she went to someone else in the group--fortunately they're all good).

Be sure to ask if this new doctor has a 'cancellation list.' That's people who will come in on short notice if they doctor has an unexpected opening.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 06:00 AM   #4
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: inatic
Stats: 182+/126 5'4 51!yo 16/4 *5* kidlets later!
WOE: Coach:Erik Ledin leanbodies consulting
Start Date: LowER C since 2/02 wt training 10/15/02
are you near the new Holtorf Clinic in Pa?

also sometimes just calling on mondays, you might get lucky. That happens with our TOP Endo who also has a wait list. UNfortunately, the other partner in that practice isnt good. They arent always.

In the mean time you can also surf around for other ideas and check with compounding pharmacies for some suggestions.

Last edited by inatic; 04-04-2013 at 06:02 AM..
inatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 02:03 PM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Psmileyf
Stats: 215/184/167
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 8/1/2011- renewed efforts 8/1/2014
I just called to make my appointment with the new endo and i go in May!!
I guess I called at just the right time because the receptionist told me the normal wait time, I said first available was fine and then she was shocked and said it is May 21st!

I did ask the old endo why she would not treat me...I was in tears...and she said as long as my TSH levels are "normal" then the side effects of treatment are worse than the disease.
I was just so upset!

I go for my other test tomorrow morning.
Psmileyf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 02:22 PM   #6
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
It's good that you're seeing a different endo.

It's really odd about that specialty. I've been fortunate insofar as it took me forever to get diagnosed because my PCP insisted that my thyroid (goiter and all) was 'normal' despite all my symtoms. However, when I self-referred to an endo, I found 2 excellent endos and have had no problems getting good treatment.

However, my sister, who lives 70 miles away from me, but in an area of very good hospitals (NYC) and who is hypothyroid and a Type 2 diabetic has been unable to find a decent endo to treat either her diabetes or her thyroid properly. Currently, she goes to an internist, who is excellent, but it's really strange that the endos tend to be jerks. She's a medical secretary who has worked in big hospitals, so she knows something about the issues involved in her care and is an informed patient.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote