Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Thyroid
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2013, 07:56 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: tcayuela
T3 Compounded Slow Release Only...thoughts??

Hi Everyone,

I went to see an endo today at Holtorf Group and my labs going in were as follows:

TSH: .08 (.4-4.5)
Free T4: 1.2 (0.8-1.8 ng/dL)
Free T3: 2.6 (2.3-4.2 pg/mL)
Reverse T3: 31 (11-32 ng/dL)

Iron:
Total Iron: 139 (40-175 mcg/dL)
Iron Binding Capacity: 370 (250-450 mcg/dL)
% Saturation: 38 (15-50 %)

Ferritin: 19 (10-232)

Vitamin D: 50 (30-100ng)

It seems since I became hypo, I've had issues converting and using my T3. I was on 2 grains of Armour and today my doc recommended taking me off of that and switched me to T3 only to deal with my high Reverse T3. I still have multiple symptoms of hypo and I'm hoping this will be the trick! I just wanted to know all of your thoughts on this as I'm nervous in switching meds! Thanks so much!

Tammy
tcayuela is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-2013, 10:01 PM   #2
Junior LCF Member

I would love to hear the thoughts of all you wonderful and helpful people. This switch is making me nervous.
Old 03-29-2013, 05:08 AM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: inatic
Stats: 182+/126 5'4 51!yo 16/4 *5* kidlets later!
WOE: Coach:Erik Ledin leanbodies consulting
Start Date: LowER C since 2/02 wt training 10/15/02
curious how much dr is replacing that with on T3...
inatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:42 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lokarbiebarbie
Stats: 185/120/125
WOE: Atkins 1972
Start Date: December 2008
Has doctor remarked on the LOW ferritin? Goodness.
Lokarbiebarbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:57 AM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Hi Ladies,

He started me on 55mcg and after a week I increase to 62.5. As for the ferritin he said my other irons looked good so ferritin wasn't a concern at this point. I'm kind of confused on the iron myself so any thoughts are appreciated. I have major RT3 issues, sent in saliva test last week so hoping to have those results soon.

Looking forward to hearing more of your thoughts.

Thanks,
Tammy
Old 04-01-2013, 05:19 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Emmaline
I didn't find any difference with taking T3 over time vs taking one dose. I still felt the same even tho it's about a 4 hour window. Many dr's insist that it does matter, but I just didn't feel it.
Dr John Lowe that did extensive research on T3 said it didn't matter, and that time release or multiple doses were unnecessary. I think it depends on you, and what works for you.
Emmaline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 01:16 PM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Thanks for the input! I was really scared to switch because I've heard mixed things. Many have said to go just for Cytomel but my doctor believes more in slow release. I'm thinking either way that T3 only is what I need due to not converting and the fact that I now have RT3 issues.

Any more opinions and suggestions are welcomed!!! Please and thank you!

Tammy
Old 04-04-2013, 05:07 PM   #8
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 And again...223/215.0/146 5'7
WOE: Misc.
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
I see a Holtorf doctor too and your labs look a lot like mine did. I take T3 only and it brought my RT3 down and my T3 up and made a world of difference in how I feel.

I take 100 mcgs of compounded T3. I started at 37.5 and worked up to my current dose over a couple of years. I have never taken non-SR, so I don't know what regular Cytomel is like.

I don't know a whole lot about the iron levels. Ferritin is the stored form of iron and can stay high when the others levels are low, but I don't know about it being the other way. Have you recently started supplementing with iron?
Old 04-05-2013, 12:35 PM   #9
Junior LCF Member

Gina thank you for responding!! It's reassuring to here from others who are in the same boat! Who are you seeing at Holtorf? And how was your experience? I'm with Dr. Wightman and I feel comfortable so far. How long did it take to bring your RT3 down and get your T3 up? I can say I already feel better on SR T3 only. I've had others tell me it's a bad idea to do just T3 but it seems to be what I need to bring the RT3 down as Armour made that worse and I always had hypo symptoms. They ran that thyroid tissue test on me and very little T3 is getting to my tissue so I'm praying these changes help. I'm thinking I can even increase my T3 a bit??

I don't take any iron supplements so my iron numbers are a mystery to me as they all seem ok except the ferritin. I recently sent in my saliva test for adrenals so should have results on that soon.

I appreciate any insight and feedback you can offer!

Thanks so much,
Tammy
Old 04-05-2013, 12:54 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by GME View Post
I see a Holtorf doctor too and your labs look a lot like mine did. I take T3 only and it brought my RT3 down and my T3 up and made a world of difference in how I feel.

I take 100 mcgs of compounded T3. I started at 37.5 and worked up to my current dose over a couple of years. I have never taken non-SR, so I don't know what regular Cytomel is like.

I don't know a whole lot about the iron levels. Ferritin is the stored form of iron and can stay high when the others levels are low, but I don't know about it being the other way. Have you recently started supplementing with iron?
is that a permanent fix for you or will you at some point be put back on T4 as well.
Old 04-05-2013, 01:36 PM   #11
Junior LCF Member

Ilene that is a great question! I think right now the T3 only is to fix my reverse T3 issues. I go back to see my doctor in 2 weeks as he ran a boatload of other tests on me. What is your thinking on my dose, etc?
Old 04-05-2013, 03:45 PM   #12

I can make judgement on your dose.. between how you feel, you're symptoms, your labs and your doc, ya'll will make that decision together.
Old 04-05-2013, 08:28 PM   #13
Junior LCF Member

Absolutely Ilene, thanks! I asked your opinion because you had asked what my dose was.
Old 04-05-2013, 08:30 PM   #14
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 And again...223/215.0/146 5'7
WOE: Misc.
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcayuela View Post
Gina thank you for responding!! It's reassuring to here from others who are in the same boat! Who are you seeing at Holtorf? And how was your experience? I'm with Dr. Wightman and I feel comfortable so far. How long did it take to bring your RT3 down and get your T3 up? I can say I already feel better on SR T3 only. I've had others tell me it's a bad idea to do just T3 but it seems to be what I need to bring the RT3 down as Armour made that worse and I always had hypo symptoms. They ran that thyroid tissue test on me and very little T3 is getting to my tissue so I'm praying these changes help. I'm thinking I can even increase my T3 a bit??

I don't take any iron supplements so my iron numbers are a mystery to me as they all seem ok except the ferritin. I recently sent in my saliva test for adrenals so should have results on that soon.

I appreciate any insight and feedback you can offer!

Thanks so much,
Tammy
I see Elizabeth Lyster in the Bay Area office. I don't remember how long to took to bring my RT3 down. I do remember I started feeling better the very day I started the T3. My dose went up pretty steadily every 3-4 months (as often as I went) and has been stable at 100mcgs for about a year now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inatic View Post
is that a permanent fix for you or will you at some point be put back on T4 as well.
I have only been on T3, I have never taken a T4 med. What my doctor says (and I think this is the standard Holtorf "line") is the cells need T3. If you take T4 you just have to convert it, so why not just take what you ultimately need?

I just know it is working for me. We are all different of course, but I have seen so many people on T4 and still feeling crappy that I don't feel like it is something I need to try.
GME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 10:24 PM   #15
Junior LCF Member

Gina thanks for the reassurance! I too felt instantly better on T3 only so I'm feeling confident this is the route I need to go. I also recently got my saliva test back for my cortisol and I have a mix of highs and lows so I've started and adaptogen and am hoping that helps with getting my adrenals optimal and T3 into my cells!