Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Thyroid
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2013, 08:41 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: tcayuela
Lab Results...Help Please (Posted last week about Birth Contro & Armour)

Hi Everyone,

I posted last week about taking birth control and gaining weight recently. I've been feeling more hypo too and feel I've never really been at optimal levels. In any event, here are my recent labs. I'm curious what you all think:

TSH- .88 (.40-4.5)
T3 Free- 2.5 (2.3-4.2)
T4 Free- 1.0 (.8-1.8)
Vit. D- 50 (30-100) this level finally improved as in the past I was always at 30

I currently take 1-1/2 grains of Armour per day and then split one pill and take a 1/2 2x per week in addition. My endo just said he would up my dose and to split a pill and start by adding in 1 more 1/2 pill a week making it 3x per week that I will take an extra half dose. He said to do this slowly and until I'm feeling better as I have many symptoms reoccurring from hypothyroid. At most I would be taking 2 grains I believe.

Also, I have always been on the low side for my Free T3. When originally diagnosed hypo, I was put on Levo and that just made my T4 shoot up but of course did nothing to my T3.

My endo also recommended possibly switching my medication. I have to say I'm nervous to do it because I don't want to mess up what is already sort of working. I had to work very hard to lose weight and am petrified of gaining any of it back, not to mention feeling terrible! But I do still have pounds to lose and am not feeling the best...before any meds my weight was a disaster, as was how I was feeling.

Please everyone, I value your opinions very much so I look forward to your thoughts. I learned of the Hortolf Medical Group (I'm in CA) from all of you and am going to see a doctor there in a few weeks. I have a great endo now who listens, but I feel I've never really been at optimal levels. I'm hoping the 2nd opinion from the Hortolf group will help but would like to go in armed and ready!

Thanks so much for reading and for the help! I've been working on this now for about 3 years!

Tammy
tcayuela is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-2013, 04:27 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lokarbiebarbie
Stats: 185/120/125
WOE: Atkins 1972
Start Date: December 2008
I hate to ask for even more info...sorry...but T3 shows up in blood work quickly after taking it, and then drops like a rock later on...so, what time and how much Armour did you take and then what time was the blood draw?

If you are trying to get an accurate reading of your FT3, taking HALF the daily dosage about five hours (no more than 6 hours) before the draw would come closer to showing that.

People who have blood drawn and don't take any T3 aren't testing any T3 (people who don't take morning dose, for instance).

My FT3 'tanks' just above bottom range (like yours) if I take NO Armour before a blood draw. My FT3 is WAY HIGH if I take half my daily dosage only two hours before the blood draw. My FT3 is almost 2/3 of the range if I take half my daily Armour dosage EXACTLY 4.5 to 5 hours before that draw. I hope this helps.

My thyroid doctor is very 'exacting'. He wants us to write down WHAT time we took that half daily and then be at his lab (or one of our chosing) exactly half hour before the fifth hour. Been that way for 14 years for me.

Holtorf is very good (albeit very expensive). You'll be in good hands.
Lokarbiebarbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 07:45 AM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Hi! Thank you for responding!

I've always fasted and taken no Armour on the days I do labs as that is what I've been instructed to do. So I drew my labs at 10am in and hadn't had any of my Armour since the previous morning when I take it normally. My endo has always said to go in and test before taking my meds. :\

As for Holtorf, I'm glad to hear that! It certainly is pricey but I'm so tired of not having answers and my body seemingly working not to its best....I'm praying they have some answers.

Please let me know any further thoughts and thanks again!
Tammy
Old 03-01-2013, 08:06 PM   #4
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: inatic
Stats: 182+/126 5'4 51!yo 16/4 *5* kidlets later!
WOE: Coach:Erik Ledin leanbodies consulting
Start Date: LowER C since 2/02 wt training 10/15/02
the cali Holtorf group is excellent.
inatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:02 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Yep, I'd say your worries are about to be over...

I really bristled years ago when a doctor wanted to charge me for a test to test something that's NOT IN MY BODY. That is all.
Old 03-04-2013, 01:35 PM   #6
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: inatic
Stats: 182+/126 5'4 51!yo 16/4 *5* kidlets later!
WOE: Coach:Erik Ledin leanbodies consulting
Start Date: LowER C since 2/02 wt training 10/15/02
we just got holtorf in Ga! (marrietta)
inatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:35 AM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Thanks everyone! I'm am hoping and praying Hortolf is the key! I really just want to live as optimized as possible. I've been working so hard to lose weight and since it's stopped and bouncing around, in addition to feeling more hypo, I really just want answers. I'm willing to spend the money to find them!

I appreciate all of you...you have helped me many times...including when my first endo told me I didn't have hypothyroidism and should get a lap band and eat 500 calories a day! Mind you I don't even qualify for one if I agreed to it!

Anyway, thanks...you're all a blessing! I'll keep you posted.

Tammy
Old 03-05-2013, 10:50 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

The Holtof near Columbus..um...not to say they aren't better and more informed, but several are not 'feelin' the love' there...so, just because someone opens a 'franchise' doesn't always mean it's wonderful, but we all know the one in Cali is great.