Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Thyroid (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/thyroid/)
-   -   Specific Questions about Thyroid Testing (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/thyroid/797272-specific-questions-about-thyroid-testing.html)

Seeking 02-16-2013 08:38 AM

Specific Questions about Thyroid Testing

Hi guys, I'm on a very limited budget but I want to get some tests done to see if I have a thyroid problem.

I very recently got my insulin, glucose and a lot of other low-cost but important tests run via DirectLabs (LabCorp) for under $60 and I know now that I have mild to intermediate insulin resistance. However, due to my symptoms on this thread, I'd like to have my thyroid checked out too. But the problem is, thyroid tests are quite expensive. DirectLabs has the following tests:

Thyroid Peroxidase Antibody (TPO) ($49)
Thyroid Antithyroglobulin Antibody (TAA) ($49)
Free T3 & Free T4 ($94)
Total T3 and Total T4 (no test found for this)
Vitamin D3 (Vitamin D 1,25 Dihydroxy) ($149) (is this right?????)
Vitamin B12 ($59)
Ferritin ($49)
--------------------------------------
Total without a discount: $449 (they will give me some sort of a discount though if I ask)

A few comments:
1. Major ouch. I can't afford that, at least not all at once.
2. I can't seem to figure out which of the two vitamin D tests is D3; one test is considerably cheaper than the one I've posted, but again, don't know which one is D3.
3. I can't find a test for total T4 and Total T3; do I need these?
4. DirectLabs will combine the above-mentioned tests and give me a discount, but it won't be like half off or anything like that.

Questions:
1. Which ones listed above can I cut out while still getting a really good idea of whether or not I have a thyroid issue? My TSH and T4 back in October 2012 were within normal range (see thread I linked to above).
2. Is there a universal test that can determine with a good degree of accuracy whether I have any autoimmune disease? What about high-sensitivity C Reactive Protein (hs-CRP)?
3. I read somewhere yesterday that there are at least 5 autoimmune diseases of the thyroid, but it seems that there are only 2 known tests. Has anyone else heard of this?
4. What are the chances that I do in fact have a thyroid problem and the tests don't catch it?

Thanks again guys.

watcher513 02-17-2013 02:46 AM

Do not need Total T's run.

Looking at their site, look at the Thyroid Panel, Special Plus for $149. It's these below plus TSH:

"Thyroid Peroxidase Antibody (TPO) ($49)
Thyroid Antithyroglobulin Antibody (TAA) ($49)
Free T3 & Free T4 ($94)"
and TSH

I believe the Vit. D one you want is: Vitamin D, 25 Hydroxy for $59 if you only want to know about your Vit. D levels. The other one entails more things, explained in the description link.

Lokarbiebarbie 02-17-2013 05:52 AM

Ferritin would be the last thing I'd test...with finding a thyroid disease diagnosis. and 'normal' is a setting on the dryer.

Said by the person with a TSH of.45 who had NO readings at all for Free T4 and T3. Yep...TSH is terribly unreliable, wish we could omit it and take off a few bucks. :)

lisabinil 02-17-2013 09:43 AM

I would drop the B12 before the ferritin testing-many with undiagnosed thyroid disease as well as those being treated have low ferritin. And with low ferritin it needs to be treated-your body won't utilize your thyroid hormones very well unless your levels are up.