Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Thyroid (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/thyroid/)
-   -   switching from levoxyl/cytomel to armour (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/thyroid/797132-switching-levoxyl-cytomel-armour.html)

beb 02-13-2013 04:19 PM

switching from levoxyl/cytomel to armour

Does anyone have experience with switching from levoxyl/cytomel to armor? I was taking 125 levoxyl and 10 cytomel. I still wasn't feeling great and had hypo symptoms so I decided to try armour. The doctor gave me 90 armour which according to the conversion chart I saw should be about the same.
This is my 5th day of taking armor (splitting the dose) but I feel worse. I'm having a hard time staying awake during the day. I am wondering if the conversion charts they use are really off and I need a bit more armour.

babybella 02-13-2013 05:08 PM

I was on Armour for years. Initally it worked really well, but since the reformulation (changed fillers I think) it stopped working well: I felt hypo, my hair started thinning out on top, and my headaches increased. I believe it is because the T3 isn't well absorbed from the new formulation.

One thing I realize is T3 that makes me feel better, more calm and less stimulated. T4 on the otherhand overstimulates me (which is why Armour was no good, because I was taking 3 grains and getting too much T4 and not enough T3).

I now take tirosint and cytomel, and working up to my sweet spot. Don't believe all the hype about dessicated thyroid. It works for some, but not all. But to be fair, you might need a higher dosage.

beb 02-14-2013 06:54 AM

Thank you. I'm think I'm going to try a higher dose and if things don't work out maybe I need a lower levoxyl dose and a little higher cytomel dose. It's frustrating because I've been on meds for 3 years and haven't found the right thing yet.

babybella 02-14-2013 07:22 AM

I hear you! It is so frustrating! While on armour I felt great, but not normal-great, just better than how I felt without meds. I wonder if I'll ever feel normal great.. I'm hoping the tirosint works out for me, so far it is but I'm only taking 50 mcg and about 12 mcg of cytomel.

watcher513 02-15-2013 01:02 AM

What were your FT4 and FT3 lab results (with ranges). Just wondering how far off they were.

beb 02-15-2013 06:18 AM

I know what you mean babybella. I always wonder if there's a point where this is the best I'll feel.

Watcher my latest results from 2/7/13 were t4 free 1.25 (.82-1.77) and t3free 2.6 (2.0-4.4) They didn't have the tsh result yet but I know it's really low because it was .05 previously.
In November my free t4 was 1.2 (.8-1.8) and t3 was 3.1 (2.3-4.2)
Luckily the doctor didn't worry about my tsh. He just said it was supressed because of the cytomel. It seems it's impossible for my free t4 and free t3 to get into good ranges without the tsh being extremely low.
I just started armour 120 today so I'll see how that goes.