Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Thyroid (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/thyroid/)
-   -   Please help me with my thyroid test results (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/thyroid/794620-please-help-me-my-thyroid-test-results.html)

tanmel83 01-16-2013 02:31 PM

Please help me with my thyroid test results

Hello everyone,

I am on here because my doctor does not think I have issues with my thyriod but I am planning on seeing an endocronologist if I can. My doctor told me I am at normal range and not to worry.

First test: 1/3/13 in the morning at 7am with fasting

t4, free 1.3 normal range: 0.8-1.8
tsh 4.79 abnormal normal range is below 4.5 according to lab

They didnt check my T3 at the time unforunately.

Second test: 1/11/13 at 5pm without fasting

t3, free: 2.8 normal 2.3-4.2

t4, free: 1.3 normal 0.8-1.8

tsh 1.54 normal

I am worried about how much my results have fluctuated within a week.

Can anyone advise me as to what other tests I should take to make sure I am ok.

Leo41 01-16-2013 04:26 PM

Why did you have two tests? Was the doctor re-checking?

Unfortunately, with that wide variance in TSH, one of those values could have been lab error (which according to one of my doctors is rampant).

There's no need to fast for a thyroid panel, and fasting or not should have no effect on the results.

Are you having symptoms that suggest you are having thyroid problems?

If so, I certainly would see an endo--although that doesn't guarantee a good thyroid doctor. They are hard to find.

My own primary told me for 5 years that I had no thyroid issues even though my thyroid was swollen (goiter), and I had increasingly severe symptoms. It was only when I self-referred to an endo that I got a diagnosis and treatment.

tanmel83 01-16-2013 04:39 PM

Thank you for your reply Leo41.

Doctor wanted the second test done because he was rechecking. I was fasting the first time because of the other tests I was getting. Yes, I have symptoms I am gaining weight, I am always tired, constipation, dry skin, i have heavy periods that last 7 to 8 days even though I am on the pill.

I was diagoniosed with thyriod issues when I was 19 in Mexico. I only had my treatment for about 9 months and I was feeling better and losing weight. Unfortunately, I had to stop treatment because I ran out of money. I tried to get tested various times here since I have insurance but the doctors only tested the tsh levels that would come back normal. I am now 29 and I just keep on gaining weight and gettting more tired. I have already schuedled an appt with an endro but until feb 6th. other endos wont see me because they need a referral.

Leo41 01-18-2013 08:59 AM

I hope you get some resolution with your endo visit. Be sure to mention that you've been previously diagnosed because I think that's important for the physician to know.

Emmaline 01-19-2013 07:55 AM

If you had thyroid issues before, I would have your doctor run antibody tests. That up and down stuff can mean auto immune Hashimotos. It's an auto response that your body attacks your own thyroid gland. It can cause your thyroid to go between hyper to hypo.

Good luck!