Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2013, 11:23 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: TMac
Stats: 230/228/140
WOE: Gluten-Free/Low-Carb
Start Date: 12/11/12
Trying to understand before I see new Dr...

I'm so confused! I've been gathering lab tests I've had over the last decade to bring to Dr. Valenti next week for my first appointment.

I've never been diagnosed with thyroid issues but I'm thinking I DO have issues-thickened isthmus shows on a CT scan performed for unrelated reasons, I have low body temp, thinning hair and unexplained weight gain. My mom has thyroid cancer, aunt has hashimotos, we all have autoimmune diseases (myself and aunt both have Celiac).

My ferritin levels over the years seem TANKED to me! 19?? How can this be normal when 200's are also normal? But my red blood cells are actually a hair too high?? Is that anemia??

I asked my mom and she said hers are similar and it is related to thyroid problems but her explanation doesn't make sense to me-I can't wrap my head around it. And why is my thyroid isthmus thickened? The last time my TSH was tested, I was 22-10 years ago. It was 1.5 which seems ok??

All I know is that these days I feel like death slightly warmed over, I'm doing a semi-comb over to hide my thin hair, and my IQ seems to have plummeted and I feel I can barely form an intelligent sentence. Are there specific things I should have Dr V test for, or should I just trust from his reputation that he will do all that I need??
TMac is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-2013, 06:40 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Emmaline
A full thyroid panel needs to be done as well as your other hormones. Ferretin, Vit D.

Hopefully that will be a given when you go in. Since you all have auto immune issues, you can probably count on Hashi's so have them do an antibody test.
Emmaline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:01 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lokarbiebarbie
Stats: 185/120/125
WOE: Atkins 1972
Start Date: December 2008
I feel when you hand pick a doctor who does all the thyroid tests (many don't..and they don't have time to 'specialize' in thyroid when they have a hundred patients, all with something else) that you should feel you are in good hands.

I will say, though, that I thought it would be an 'instant feel better, like when you get antibiotics for an infection' type of thing. It's not. All the other hormones (you know, like progesterone, estradiol, etc.) also influence the thyroid hormones, so they all have to be dealt with on the same playground. And that's what a good thyroid doctor does.

Hope your appt. goes well and you come away feeling better that you now have a doctor who has your best interests at heart (and don't stop reading and getting your own research either).
Lokarbiebarbie is offline   Reply With Quote