LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2012, 10:29 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: T-Bird
Stats: 279.4/269.8/180
WOE: High Fat/Low Carb
Start Date: 12.3.12
Multinodular Goiter

Hello! Long-time lurker here with a thyroid question.

I had a dr. apt with a new Endo in late November as I have Type II diabetes. She of course put (tried to put) me on the ADA diet and about lost her mind when I told her I was following a very low carb diet (Diabetes Miracle by Diane Kress, my numbers are getting better everyday!) and then proceeded to tell me I HAD to eat a minimum of 45-60 carbs per meal and it was "dangerous" to do otherwise. Also immediately perscribed Zocar because my LDL was 142. Told her I was not taking it and she was not happy. I will probably be looking for a new endo again as we were butting heads on everything.

During my exam, she did tell me she thought she felt nodules on my thyroid. I've never had "thyroid problems" in the past, but she scheduled a thyroid ultrascan. I had that Monday and her nurse just called to tell me they are scheduling me for a thyroid biopsy. She gave me this info: "your ultrasound revealed 3 nodules that meet the requirements (greater than 1 cm) to be biopsied to determine if malignant or benign growths. Right side 2.8 cm nodule, nodule in isthmus and Left sided 1.1 cm nodule." While I don't necessarily have any difficulty swallowing, on occasion during the year, it does feel like there is something in my throat and I always assumed it was just seasonal allergies, drainage, etc. Now I'm thinking it's the nodules?

Can anyone offer any info on what exactly this means? I'm terrified to look anything up online.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,
Trina
T-Bird is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-13-2012, 01:53 PM   #2
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Hi Trina-
I've been through this, so I can share my experience. My first indication of nodules was a goiter (swelling of the thyroid that's visible), and my primary sent me for an ultrasound. I had 3 nodules, but they were all too small to biopsy. What my doctor didn't tell me (or didn't know) is that they might be a sign of Hashimoto's, an auto-immune condition that leads to hypothyroidism. It was 5 years before I finally was diagnosed.

Back to the nodules. They are quite common, and at least 85% remain benign. When one of my nodules finally grew large enough, I had a fine-needle biopsy, and it was benign. My endo now schedules an annual ultrasound because if they were to continue to grow, that would be a bad sign, and another biopsy would be done. They have not grown in the past 5 years.

Personally, I would find another endo if I were you because she seems badly misinformed about eating for diabetes. And most endos are actually better at diabetes than thyroid--so she may be a disaster if you need any advice about thyroid treatment.

Please keep in mind that if your worst fears are realized, and these nodules are malignant, thyroid cancer has one of the highest rates of cure of any cancer. But, as I mentioned, most nodules are benign.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 04:04 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Thank you so very much! I feel so much better after reading your comments. And yes, I am definitely looking for a new endo. Thanks again!
Old 12-13-2012, 04:56 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: gello5440
WOE: Low Carb - Atkins
Start Date: October 2010
I have no advice but sending {{{{hugs}}}} and prayers that all the news will be good.
gello5440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:09 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Thank you! I do appreciate all the hugs and prayers.
Old 12-29-2012, 04:53 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Update...

My biopsy indicated the nodules were benign, however, the endo never even called to give me that information. I had the biopsy done on 12.19, and was a nervous wreck through the Christmas holidays until I finally found my lab results online through my doctor's office. Patients can review their lab results, set up and/or cancel apts. online and they just posted the biopsy results there on 12.20, instead of calling me. I've left a couple of messages, but have not heard back from the doctor. Ugh, so frustrating! Definitely finding a new endo!

I've learned more from this board than my doctors office. Thank you!
Old 12-29-2012, 05:01 PM   #7
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Psmileyf
Stats: 215/193 on WW/174since LC Aug 1st/166
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 8/1/2011
Frustrating, isn't it? We sit around on the edge of our seats and wait!
I love the online medical records. I look at my results as soon as they show up. (I stalk the webpage.)

I'm glad they were benign. I had mine biopsied about 5 years ago and they were benign. Now we just watch the size and I got some kind of ink scan this year on them.

I hope you find a new endo. It always seems to be a problem.
Psmileyf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:20 PM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: watcher513
Join the Texas Thyroid Group over on the yahoo group boards. They can help you find one.
watcher513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:57 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mazella09
Multi-nodular Goiter

Mine was dxd with ultrasound in 2006. Nothing but uptake scan was done.

In 2010 I had two FNA's done. Inconclusive.

My numbers are good. I feel fine. Much better since I have been supplementing with Iodine *50mg tab.

I tend to run a bit hyPERthyroid.

Good luck and good health to you!
Mazella09 is offline   Reply With Quote