Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Thyroid (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/thyroid/)
-   -   can someone intrepret this test? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/thyroid/785300-can-someone-intrepret-test.html)

mattie jo 10-11-2012 10:06 AM

can someone intrepret this test?

My doctor is out of town, and i had to go get my thyroid test. can anyone tell me what the results mean?

t4 is 5.2 range is 4.8 to 13.3

tsh is 0.44 range is 0.34 to 4.82

t3 is 198.8 range is 80.0 to 200.0

thanks

Leo41 10-11-2012 12:44 PM

I doubt that any one of us can 'interpet' those lab results any better than you can yourself. You see where you are on the various ranges.

The physician is the one who can 'interpet' because he/she looks at the labs in the context of the patient's present and past medical history.

What may seem 'fine' for me, may be totally 'off' for you, so unless you are suffering from some severe symptom, IMO, it would be wise to just wait for your doctor's return.

mattie jo 10-11-2012 03:27 PM

i was hyper a month ago, and it made me feel awful, while i am better i still feel hyper, so i will cut down another 1/2 tablet.

my symptoms: Nervousness
Insomnia
Breathlessness
hair loss

i never had hair loss before. so this is why i am lowering the dosage.

Leo41 10-11-2012 05:15 PM

I think it was mentioned before on these boards that self-medicating is never a good idea if you're taking Rx. Your dosage should be controlled by a physician.

If your physician is unresponsive, you should find one who will treat you better. Thyroid 'meds' are hormones and nothing to 'tinker' with on our own.

mattie jo 10-12-2012 03:43 AM

Yes, it has been said before, but there are no physicans that know anything about thyroid here. I know that I was hyper at .22, and it hasn't changed much. If I had a physcian that knew anything, would I be here?

watcher513 10-12-2012 04:41 AM

t4 is 5.2 range is 4.8 to 13.3
tsh is 0.44 range is 0.34 to 4.82
t3 is 198.8 range is 80.0 to 200.0
---------------------------------

It says t4 but looks like Free T4 numbers/range. It's not even close to mid-range, which is 9.05 for That range.

With TSH (if they must, and many do) I feel fine just a little above the low end of the range, but everyone's different. It's the Free T's that really count though.

The t3 looks like T3 Total numbers, Not Free T3. Either way, I'd really feel Bad, probably like your symptoms, if I was at the very high end of the Free T3 range, kinda scary to me. Total is what's IN the body, Free's are what's Available to be Used by the body, i.e. energy. Too much isn't good.

If those were my results, I'd be on the low end of the FT4 range and wanting more and be Way too high (too much) with the T3.

You don't say what you're taking? It almost looks like you need to be on separate T4 and T3 and not a combo med (if you are) with that low T4 and high T3. If I take my T3 in the evening (I'm on both T4 and T3), it'll keep me up (insomnia). To me....that T3 result (even though it's a Total) screams too much T3. No wonder you're nervous/hyper.

When my endo first added T3 for me a few years ago, around 10 yrs. after being on T4 only, it was at too high of a dose for me (12.5 mcg.), And, failed to tell me to split the T3 2x/day. It was scary to say the least. Instant phone call to them. Then I went to a 5 mcg. starting dose, which should have happened in the first place and worked up over time to the higher dose.

mattie jo 10-12-2012 05:25 AM

i am taking westhroid. it has worked for years, but i have no idea if my being on a health kick has changed it. i am off sugar and gluten, off all grains and juicing. Last month the doctor said that i was hyperthyroid and cut one tablet in half. he did not bother to take t4 and t3. now that he has he says nothing other than i am in the range, so that is fine. my tsh last month or rather on sept 10th was .22. i have no idea whether going to another dr. would help. the only other one taking patients is a gyn.

Leo41 10-12-2012 10:01 AM

Being 'here' is no substitute for seeing a doctor.

Too high a T3 level is potentially dangerous to your health.

It's impossible to manage thyroid issues without the assistance of a physician, so I'd advise you to find one before you do yourself harm with trying to self-medicate.

The symptoms you're experiencing are exactly the ones that my endo warns me to watch out for--and to contact him immediately if I experience them.

inatic 10-19-2012 07:53 AM

sometimes changing nutritional programs can cause the thyroid to kick in or cause other hormones to kick in and that will affect the thyroid too..

Matti where are you located? Maybe we can help find some better versed. make sure doc is at least doing FREE T3 and free T4. Some people might need less T3 and more T4 than natural gives them Or tweaking it with separate of each (under dr guidance of course.

mattie jo 10-19-2012 12:24 PM

i live in a very small town in oklahoma. too far to travel to see a doctor outside of the town.

it didn't seem to matter that my doctor here took t3 and t4 since he said that they were normal. as long as everything was in the range, it is normal to him.

betty301 10-23-2012 05:11 PM

I'm sorry your having trouble. It DOES MATTER!!! But NOT to your Dr apparently. And his exact reasoning is why there are thousands upon thousands(probably millions) that are going through the same issues! Hang in there..

mattie jo 10-23-2012 06:25 PM

so true. and thanks betty. i cut my dosage by 1/2 pill, and i am beginning to feel better. hope the new dr., only a family doctor though, knows more than this other one.

i thought about the nutritional program inatic, i realize now that i went hyper before i started the program.

mattie jo 01-09-2013 02:11 PM

i have more questions. because i felt so lousy at a tsh level of .44 i cut my dosage, and let it be that for a while and had a test again. i now have a tsh level of 3.25. (the dr. forgot to add the t3 and t4 tests like i asked, and my insurance will not pay for it again so soon, so please don't say that you need it right now.) thing is, most people here say they feel best at 1 or 2 tsh. while i am finding at this level i can now sleep without medication, and i sleep 7 or 8 hours. i am not tired during the day, but at night i finally slow down. but i get up at 5 or so and fall to sleep at 8 or 9. sometimes i need a short nap; sometimes not.

i would try to get my tsh level to a 2, but this is the first time in ages that i have not needed sleeping pills. does anyone have any advice? is 3.25 tsh really a bad number?

Lokarbiebarbie 01-09-2013 04:13 PM

I don't think we should rely on, or 'use a number' to tell us how we feel mattie jo. If you are feeling ok (better than before) than it doesn't matter where the TSH is...I like to rely on how I feel. If I don't feel well, I go back to the doc and tell the doc how I feel...if I feel better after an 'adjustment' made by the doc...well then...that's that.

mattie jo 01-10-2013 02:41 AM

Lokarbiebarbie, thank you, but last night i felt tired a little too early, so i took 1/4 more tablet to see how i will feel in a few weeks. i think it takes that long to work. if i find i can't sleep i will cut back. i just really don't want to be on sleeping pills.