Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Thyroid
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2012, 08:29 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: dampmop
Thyroid and almonds

I see mixed messages regarding almonds and hypothyroid patients. We eat a lot of almonds, and have never really paid attention to how they may affect my husband's hypothyroid condition (he has been on meds for years). Almonds show up on some of the lists of foods that contain goitrogens, but not on others. I also read that if you cook some of the foods, like broccoli, it gets rid of some of the goitrogens. Very confused about this & would like to know how careful people need to be. Thanks for any thoughts you may have!
dampmop is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-2012, 09:03 AM   #2
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
I once asked my endo about those food lists in general, and he told me not to worry so long as I eat these items moderately--i.e., not every single day. I suspect that there's a lot more hysteria on the internet about these things than is warranted as a real concern.

I have, however, stopped eating spinach salad, and only eat spinach cooked (which is how I prefer it). My understanding is that the goitrogens are not a problem if cooked.

However, I've also read that if you're already medicated, this is all irrelevant because if you're eating something that's binding the incoming hormones, when your levels are checked, your dosage would be adjusted if that's a common part of your diet. So if you eat a lot of almonds on a regular basis, it's likely that your husband's meds have already been adjusted for that.

I'm assuming that his hormone levels are checked regularly (mine are every 4 months), and you may want to discuss this further with his doctor. That's what I would do.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 10:14 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lokarbiebarbie
Stats: 185/120/125
WOE: Atkins 1972
Start Date: December 2008
If a patient is adequately replaced with thyroid hormone, eating a serving of almonds shouldn't bother him/her. I eat raw cabbage once in a while, and broccoli...and when I'm eating spinach salad, I make sure it's a serving size, not more than one serving and maybe just once a week.

TSH won't show hormone levels, but testing of Free T4 and Free T3 will.

My doctor knows I eat a lot of cruciferous veggies and he adjusts my incoming replacement as to my FT4 and FT3 labs.
Lokarbiebarbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 10:07 PM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: dampmop
Thanks for the replies. He is due for some tests, so will eat normally and see how they turn out. I was wondering if eating these foods would further damage a person's thyroid, or if it just inhibits the existing one.
dampmop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 04:48 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

If you are hypothyroid, it can hinder conversion and slow down T4 to T3 conversion. But if you have a normal acting thyroid, your thyroid will just 'compensate' for them.
Old 08-30-2012, 09:34 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: qbert
I had no idea almonds were problematic. I drink almond milk daily!
qbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 10:52 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Almond milk doesn't hamper 'everyone's thyroid process..it's a 'YMMV' type of thing. Not like soy, and flax seed, and crucifers.