Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Thyroid
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2012, 03:00 PM   #1
cj1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: cj1
Parathyroid

Has anyone had their parathyroids removed? Not thyroid, but parathyroids?
tIA
cj1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-2012, 03:20 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: brbangl3
Haven't personally, but know someone who has!
brbangl3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 07:19 PM   #3
cj1
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brbangl3 View Post
Haven't personally, but know someone who has!
How did they get along with their surgery? I am having mine removed on May 22 and I am scared to death. Thanks for any information you can give me.
Old 04-10-2012, 08:00 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shimbus
Stats: 190/182/140
WOE: atkins
Start Date: 1/23/2013
I had 1 of mine removed in August. It took me about 2 weeks to fully recover. I couldn't lift anything heavier than the phone book for a month.

It was sooo worth it. I had extreme fatigue as one of my symptoms. I could barely drag myself around work. It's amazing how that went away right after surgery and when my calcium levels were back to normal.

The incision was in the wrinkle in my neck. After 4 months it was invisible.
shimbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 07:38 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shimbus
Stats: 190/182/140
WOE: atkins
Start Date: 1/23/2013
Are you having more than one removed? Usually it's just 1 that is bad...

My surgery was outpatient. You can PM me if you have any questions...
shimbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 07:48 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mfit4Me
WOE: Sensible
Start Date: April 30, 2012
I had mine removed about a year ago. Even though now I'm not so drained and tired all the time, I really believe that my metabolism is shot. Before my surgery, it was easy for me to lose weight. I still exercise 5 days a week and watch what I eat. Now I'm doing induction again to see if that will help.
Mfit4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 12:59 PM   #7
cj1
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfit4Me View Post
I had mine removed about a year ago. Even though now I'm not so drained and tired all the time, I really believe that my metabolism is shot. Before my surgery, it was easy for me to lose weight. I still exercise 5 days a week and watch what I eat. Now I'm doing induction again to see if that will help.
Let's hope that induction does help. I am so concerned about gaining weight because of this. I don't have any symptoms of parathyroid disease but they are insisiting that they must come out.
Old 06-20-2012, 04:41 PM   #8
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: macsu000
High blood calcium level

I have hypothyroid and take medication for it along with medication for HBP and chloresterol. During routine blood work my endrocrinologist was concerned about past labs showing a high level blood calcium. I have a family history of diabetest so my dr ordered blood work to include blood calcium check and glucose tolerance. Labs came back with high blood caclium 10.6 but parathyroid, vitamin D and thyroid levels were in normal range. My endrocrinologist has ordered more blood work to check some parathyroid related hormone levels and has ordered an ultrasound. She is concerned about tumor of parathyroid. Everything I have read indicates 10.6 blood calcium is too high and indicates something is wrong. Others have said 10.6 isn't that high. I am very concerned about parathyroid issue and having to have surgery. Any input/comments from others out there about high blood calcium would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Susan
macsu000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 05:11 AM   #9
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: stevenp
Different hair and blood calcium levels

Hi All,

Does anyone have the experience that your hair calcium level is different than your blood calcium level? I have hypothyroidism and adrenal fatigue, but also suspect I may have hyperparathryoidism. My hair calcium is a pretty high 856 but my blood calcium is only 8.9 which seems to be "normal" range. I am thinking to get a PTH blood test to check this. Any comments are greatly appreciated!

Steve
stevenp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 05:19 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lokarbiebarbie
Stats: 185/120/125
WOE: Atkins 1972
Start Date: December 2008
I had three (out of four) removed and went to work four days later (and regretted that!). I do have to take calcitriol every day to make up for the loss of the parathyroids...some do very well if it's just one parathyroid taken, and very good surgeons will actually be able to remove that small tumor and leave the parathyroid intact.

My blood calcium was around 56 when I finally was tested (got into a minor car accident, hit from behind, but was ok....had a random blood sample at the ER and that's where they caught it). I was hurting so badly in the bones...and now...all these years later....I have osteoporosis.
Lokarbiebarbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 10:17 AM   #11
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: TN1969
Two of my parathyroids were removed, and the other two damaged almost three yrs ago during my radical neck dissection for thyroid cancer.
This has lead to life long, hypoparathyroidism which of course leads to hypocalcemia.
This website/orginization is a Godsend
https://www.hypopara.org/index.html

I take at least 2400 mgs of calcium per day, slow release, on a good day.
Calcitriol, twice a day
Magnesium
And I alsa do teriparatide injections twice daily now that it is summer time, once daily when the temps are not as extreme.
TN1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 10:28 AM   #12
Junior LCF Member

I should also add;
Any and all medications I take to manage the hypocalcemia must be taken at least four hours before or after my thyroid meds, to include tums (easy calcium)
Heartburn medications, nexium, prilosec, etc
Thyroid medications are to be taken alone, on an empty stomach remaining empty (of food) for at least one hour to allow for proper absorption.
Old 06-28-2013, 05:13 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lokarbiebarbie
Stats: 185/120/125
WOE: Atkins 1972
Start Date: December 2008
Yes, it IS kind of a 'pain' with thyroid hormones too, isn't it? Also wanted to say that I've noticed a LOT of those with parathyroid tumors also have thyroid disease....so one day I asked my doctor if it was just a 'coincidence' and he said he thought the instance of this happening in women was quite high, but didn't know why.

Almost EVERYONE I've known (a lot, I belong to several boards) who had hyperparathyroidism also had hypothyroidism before surgery, or after.
Lokarbiebarbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 07:10 AM   #14
Junior LCF Member

I am hypopara
I get up at zero dark thirty, if I am not symptomatic, I take my t3 and hope for a good day.
Symptomatic, well, I take t3, 1200-1600 mg of calcium, two calcitriol, and magnesium, to get the calcium to absorb better, I now have to eat something.
While looking for something to eat I do my teriparatide injection since its in the fridge. I am not a morning eater, so its usually a few bites of cottage cheese or something
Four hours later, repeat calcium, calcitriol, and mag
four hours later, still symptomatic, more calcium and mag
and so the day goes, with tums in between (kept in each car for emergencies)
8 pm another teripartide injection (synthetic parathyroid hormone used for osteoporosis)
Bed time, synthroid, since its usually been four hours since my last calcium and I can at least get that one to absorb properly.
Add to this being kept hyperthyroid for cancer suppression, and on joy, summer is fantastic for me.
Its the price you pay to stay alive.
Sure which I could force my incompetent surgeon to spend a week in my shoes in Aug!
ETA;
I also get to wear a handy dandy medical alert bracelet since my calcium can and does drop in an instant, so if I am out and about EMS knows where to start since hypocalcemia is so rare.

Last edited by TN1969; 06-29-2013 at 07:12 AM..