Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Thyroid
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2012, 09:54 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: thyroidspice
Chickpeas/hummus yes or no with hypothyroidism?

Hi
I am trying hard to work on my hypothyroidism by means of a better diet. I have turned vegan and gone gluten free but it is hard to also avoid all the foods on the goitrogen list. One thing I love as a vegan is hummus but on the list I see chickpeas are to be avoided...do you know if hummus is ok or not since they are cooked to make the hummus? I know some of those goitrogen foods are ok when cooked but I just don't know which ones...
Hope someone can help!
Cheers!
thyroidspice is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-2012, 01:57 AM   #2
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
My understanding is that all goitrogens are fine when COOKED.

However, I wouldn't worry too much about how diet affects your hypothyroid. I'm assuming that you're taking Rx--because that's the only way to deal with a thyroid that isn't producing sufficient hormones.

Yes, there are foods that should be avoided, but my endo says that the warnings are overblown and that nothing would be a problem unless it's the core of your diet--e.g., if you were eating raw goitrogens daily. So an occasional spinach salad shouldn't be a problem--although I personally no longer eat raw goitrogens at all.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 08:39 AM   #3
Junior LCF Member

yes I take eltroxin now but had been on natural dessicated thyroid meds for the past 12 years. They have not been working well though so I thought I would try a change but I also keep reading that you can heal your hypothyroidism with the correct diet and I am determined to do this.

What about the baking elements like sorghum and millet and tapioca (cassava) or almond flours....would these be ok cooked too? Some things I have read suggest that all these flours should be avoided since cooking increases their goitrogenic effects...
Old 02-07-2012, 12:28 PM   #4
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
It is NOT true that you can heal hypothyroidism with diet. There is no 'cure.'

Once the thyroid slows, and the body doesn't get sufficient hormone for proper functioning, the only solution is to take the needed hormones as supplements.

I don't like taking meds, but it's essential to my well being. Keep in mind that the thyroid regulates many bodily functions.

If you are having problems with your current meds, there are many other choices that a doctor can try.

Last edited by Leo41; 02-07-2012 at 12:29 PM..
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 03:14 PM   #5
Junior LCF Member

I do not believe that it can not be cured. I have met people who have cured it and I am going to try, no harm in trying, right? I am determined.

But I would really like to know for sure if hummus is ok since chickpeas are goitrogens, because it is cooked...
Old 02-07-2012, 05:19 PM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: watcher513
Quote:
Originally Posted by thyroidspice View Post
I do not believe that it can not be cured. I have met people who have cured it and I am going to try, no harm in trying, right? I am determined.

But I would really like to know for sure if hummus is ok since chickpeas are goitrogens, because it is cooked...

Sorry, but Leo's correct. You can't 'cure' a thyroid condition with food/diet. It's all hormones, not diet. You can make it better with the correct hormone replacement but it does not just go away.

I have no problem with hummus at all. In fact, we had some last night.
watcher513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 06:43 PM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Well, cure or correct it, whichever works right? What happened with the people I know is they completely altered their diets to include zero goitrogens, cooked or not, a high intake of kelp, gluten free and raw food vegans...very restrictive but soon their tests were showing their meds to be making them too high so they got to remove the meds and lo and behold had normal thyroid function again!! Sooo I guess it is not cured since it would go back to being low if they did not stick to their strict diet regimine but otherwise, I would call that as good as cured...lots of work but worth it...I am aiming to achieve the same results!
But I just do not know what to do about the hummus...they avoided chickpeas because they were goitrogens and they had none, cooked or not, but I am just not sure they would be bad for the thyroid cooked...