Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2012, 05:59 AM   #31
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: brandywine12
Stats: 195/160-155
WOE: Atkins 100%
Start Date: 1-4-11
yes there are other t4 preps you can try . Are you on a generic by Mylan perhaps, or Synthroid? I was allergic to the generic by Mylan . I just couldn't wrap my head around that this was causing me so much trouble. My dr said it isn't consistent, it had my labs all over the place. I have had thyroid disease for over 20 years and I had no idea it was making me so sick!I should of listened to my body at the beginning of it , but w/ work and home I just wasn't in tune. As soon as I was changed over to brand with in two days I felt so much better. I gained weight while on it also , had awful anxiety, hot flashes out the wazzu,couldn't sleep , was so angry all the time. hair , skin ,nails, eyes, brain, every thing you could imagine was going bonkers.
The other meds you could try are ...tirosint, levoxyl, if ur not on a generic , then maybe that too.
What are your labs indicate? what are your lab #'s . It takes 4-6 weeks for it to be built up in your body. But if your having an issue with it making you ill , call the dr and try some thing else, don't let it get outta hand like I did . I suffered needlessly for too long .
brandywine12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-2012, 11:34 AM   #32
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: brbangl3
Quote:
It takes around 4-6 weeks for Synthroid (T4) to build up in your system. Any allergies to corn? Or, it could be the lack of eating. Or it may not be the Synthroid at all and could be something else.

You need to ask for a copy of the lab results that were run so you know what they ran and were exactly you are within each range.

Agree! Give the Synthroid and your thyroid some time to get acquainted before you start investigating other options, lapin. A small battle between the two may develop and continue for a brief period as the Synthroid gets into your system and your thyroid fights it a little until it finally succumbs, realizing that it doesn't have to work quite as hard with the incoming hormone replacement. During this "introduction" period, you may have some good days, then some bad days, and so on... Just know that it's all part of the process, and will work itself out.

Keep us posted on your progress!
brbangl3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:37 PM   #33
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: lapin77
It got really hard to breathe today after I took it, so I called Dr. Bhushan, and he said to stop taking it completely. They told me to come in next week to get more blood tests, then to come in a week later to see him again. A certain type of beta blockers makes it hard to breathe, too, so is Synthroid not for people that have asthma? Will Synthroid cause any withdrawals or mess up my period since it affects my thyroid, which regulates hormones? I have no allergies to corn. I usually don't tolerate medicine well and sometimes react in really weird ways, so that might be all it is. It's just discouraging. I don't know if it was generic. It just says Synthroid on the bottle. Thanks for everybody's responses. They've been helpful. =)
lapin77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 08:47 AM   #34
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: brbangl3
Generic would say "levothyroxine" on the bottle, so it sounds like you were taking the brand name drug. And, although I have no idea what dose you were prescribed, the 50mcg tab is made without artificial dyes, to which some people react unfavorably. To my knowledge, there's no documentation of people with asthma being unable to take Synthroid. However, as for most any one, I would suspect that people with asthma also experience some side effects when beginning any thyroid medication because it speeds up metabolism, which in turn will obviously effect breathing.

I'm sorry to hear that you were having trouble tolerating the Synthroid. Hope you can find something that works for you!
brbangl3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 09:54 PM   #35
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: lapin77
Thanks, brbang13. I didn't know it sped up my metabolism. I was prescribed 88 mcg. I didn't take it today, and my breathing is somewhat better, but my heart is still going too fast, and I feel kind of nauseous sometimes and anxious. Maybe it's still working itself out of my system? I haven't been able to do cardio these last few days because of the high heart rate and breathing troubles, so I hope everything straightens itself out soon.
lapin77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 12:50 PM   #36
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ERRSSGuy
I fixed my hyperthyroid symtoms

I was having trouble with hyperthyroid symptoms for months after several months of the 4HourBody (slow carb) diet. It got so bad at night I was having trouble sleeping. Racing heart rate, muscle weakness, cloudy thinking, anxiety, heart attack like symptoms, profuse sweating...scared the crap out of me because I felt like if I went to sleep, I wouldn't wake up.

After exhaustive searches on the internet I came across that ithyroid site. His suggestions about copper supplements did the trick. According to that site, thyroid problems are caused by imbalances between the minerals copper, zinc, selenium, and iodine. And once your thyroid gets out of whack it takes a long time to get it back into balance. People look to endocrinologists to fix the problem, but then end up having to take pills for the rest of their lives, get radioactive iodine or worse get an important gland cut out of their neck.

I was hyperthyroid, I used copper supplements to eventually subdue the problem on a more permanent level, but you can use higher doses of magnesium taurate and a little calcium to help reduce any thyroid storms. If your thyroid is enlarged then you need to look into adding selenium. Most of us don't have an iodine problem because it's supplemented in most table salt sources. However if you are only using kosher or sea salt then you could be missing iodine.

It takes about 3 months to balance your thyroid with supplements so don't expect miracles right away. If you are taking calcium supplements, make sure you add vitamin D3 and vitamin K2 MK-4 and 7 into your diet so the calcium is absorbed properly into your bones and not your arteries. CHD (coronary heart disease) can happen a lot faster when your thyroid is going wacko.

Copper slows your thyroid, and zinc speeds it up. But you have to slowly balance these two or else you just keep bouncing back and forth from hyperthyroid to hypothyroid. Hypothyroids would do the opposite...add zinc to diet until you balance with copper. Goiter can be fixed with selenium.

Magnesium will help relax your heart muscles (slowing that heart rate) and keep the calcium in your system in solution to be used by the D3 and K2 vitamins.
ERRSSGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:19 AM   #37
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: sarah73
PLEASE HELP!!

Hello,

I have been having symptoms of hyperthyroidism for over 5 years now, that has got progressively worse each year. I have seen multiple doctors, however being a student away from home (family doctor) I am having to see walk-in-clinic doctors. I finally found a family doctor where I am living which I am going to see next week. I am hoping to find someone who A) has the same/ similar symptoms and can help me better understand what I can do to help myself B) medical doctor or someone who is knowledgeable in this subject. I cannot get a referral to see an endocrinologist as not one single doctor will refer me to one without having blood tests out of range.

After reading about hyperthyroidism it literally describes my symptoms to a tea. My main symptom-which is driving me absolutely crazy- is excessive sweating. I'm not talking about someone smelly, I'm talking about feeling like constant flushing of water out of my body all over. It seems as though it could be secondary hyperhydrosis (meaning an underlying medical condition causing it). The sweating is generalized, all over my body however it is the worst under the arms and face ( I do not mean small pit stains, they are very large. Imagine having wet clothes sitting under your arms all day, every day) Also hands, and feet. It is getting so bad that I do not leave my home some days because of the sweating.

I was on birth control for 2.5 years, and just stopped as I want to see if this is a contributing factor, which many doctors, my mother (being a nurse) has spoken to in the hospital. I also must note that during the month my sweating becomes progressively worse until the end of my cycle.

I just had my blood work results back and everything came back in normal range. I am up to my wit's end with this and would love someone's help. I am on natural medication, silicea x6, true calm, and stress relief (helps body handle stress). My naturopath has put me on these supplements. This has helped the sweating, although has not cured it. I have also tried sage tea however it does not completely stop it either. I must also mention I had symptoms of diabetes, and have ruled that out as well.

Also, as mentioned this has gotten progressively worse. Most recent symptoms I am having is thinning of my skin on my face as well. I also have swelling in the left side of my neck/throat near my thyroid. Also, I have had this little bump gangleon-cyst looking thing in my neck where my thyroid is. I've had that for atleast 10 years if not more. I had surgery to remove another gangleon-cyst in my left wrist.

I feel as though this is a mixture of hormones/thyroid/adrelin glands. Someone please help me, it is completely ruining my life

Last edited by sarah73; 03-28-2013 at 12:26 AM..
sarah73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 05:00 AM   #38
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lokarbiebarbie
Stats: 185/120/125
WOE: Atkins 1972
Start Date: December 2008
The uptake was to find out if the entire goiter (thyroid) was 'hot and reactive' or if it was just an autonomous nodule (hot nodule). Your TSI was rather up there also...so...a hyper nodule is just that...and the RAI may have 'dampened that'...it did with me...but sometimes the RAI is just enough to quell the hyper part of 'Hashimoto's swing'...and now you'll go on to hypothyroidism.
Lokarbiebarbie is offline   Reply With Quote