Old 01-05-2012, 02:19 PM   #61
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Beezer Louisiana
Stats: 192.2/160/160 (5'6")
WOE: Very low carb, no frankenfoods. NK
Start Date: June 21, 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrkg Mom View Post
Thanks for the suggestion I did just that. Hopefully I'll get some responses soon.

Today is not a good day. Going up on the Wellbutrin dosage this morning has not helped with the fatigue today and I am hurting all over (but mostly in my neck/shoulders and hands/arms). I just want to curl up in bed with a heating pad.

I almost feel like I have the flu or something - very lethargic and achy
I'm so sorry, I know the feeling well.

Just keep calling, maybe there will be a cancellation.
Beezer Louisiana is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-2012, 05:29 PM   #62
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Wrkg Mom
Stats: 185/171/160
WOE: Low Cal/Low Carb
Start Date: Sept 2011
I don't know how I've made it through this day or how I can make it through all the others to come if everyday is like this one. I have never hurt so bad ever. Every joint from my toes to my neck is sore, "popping", and puffy. I can only pray (and hope all of you will to) that Dr. Flood will help me. All my other doctors run one set of land then send me on my way without offering any real help or investigating further how to treat or get rid of these ever worsening symptoms/problems. Nine days and counting and praying for help.

Last edited by Wrkg Mom; 01-08-2012 at 05:30 PM..
Wrkg Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 05:41 PM   #63
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Praying for a cancellation tomorrow!

Old 01-08-2012, 07:40 PM   #64
Junior LCF Member

Hopefully the people who had appts decided to go to New Orleans instead
Old 01-08-2012, 07:43 PM   #65
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Hopefully the people who had appts decided to go to New Orleans instead
Yes --- it just might turn out that way!

Old 01-09-2012, 12:40 PM   #66
Junior LCF Member

Well they still have nothing. I told them I could be there within 10 minutes if they had something come up as the day went on. I was told that they have a waiting list of people to call in the even of cancellations.
Old 01-09-2012, 02:31 PM   #67
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Well they still have nothing. I told them I could be there within 10 minutes if they had something come up as the day went on. I was told that they have a waiting list of people to call in the even of cancellations.
Drats! Maybe new patient appointments take more time so they're harder to get?
Old 01-10-2012, 10:00 AM   #68
Junior LCF Member

Maybe....it's funny though I scheduled my first appointment through a link on ucomparehealth.com (I was reading reviews of Dr. Bhushan). The link let me pick his first available new patient appointment time and then linked me to create a profile on the Center's patient portal which showed I did indeed have the appointment with him on the date/time selected on the ucomp website. Well yesterday I saw that he had an appt for this morning on that same website so I sent an appt request through the patient portal asking if he did indeed have an appt for the date/time listed on the website. The staff member who replied seemed miffed and told me that they had no affiliation with that website and that he didn't have an appt. I told her that I had scheduled my original appt through that website and that it had linked me to their's to enter my insurance info, etc. The after that wasn't as miffed - thanked me for letting them know but advised not to use anything but their patient portal.
Old 01-10-2012, 07:19 PM   #69
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Maybe....it's funny though I scheduled my first appointment through a link on ucomparehealth.com (I was reading reviews of Dr. Bhushan). The link let me pick his first available new patient appointment time and then linked me to create a profile on the Center's patient portal which showed I did indeed have the appointment with him on the date/time selected on the ucomp website. Well yesterday I saw that he had an appt for this morning on that same website so I sent an appt request through the patient portal asking if he did indeed have an appt for the date/time listed on the website. The staff member who replied seemed miffed and told me that they had no affiliation with that website and that he didn't have an appt. I told her that I had scheduled my original appt through that website and that it had linked me to their's to enter my insurance info, etc. The after that wasn't as miffed - thanked me for letting them know but advised not to use anything but their patient portal.
That's so weird! I use their Patient Portal. I wonder how the other website has access to their schedule? Maybe it's a snafoo and it's not supposed to be public??? Weird.

I hope you get to see him soon!
Old 01-11-2012, 02:04 PM   #70
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: bettyboop1967
Beezer, I would like your opinion please. I see that you used to see Dr. Dantin and now you go to Dr. Bhushan at the Metabolic Center. I have hypothyroidism, but I am also in need of a new primary care doctor (I'd been looking into Dr. Dantin for a while before I discovered this forum). Right now, I'm on 125 synthroid. I'd like to be re-evaluated from scratch and wonder if I should go to the MC first for thyroid issues and then to Dantin for everything else, or should I just go to her for all of it? I don't mind the low-tech and waiting for results. I do like having a doc that's a one-stop-shop. I just want to know who you think would do the better work-up/evaluation of my thyroid? Thanks in advance for any input.
bettyboop1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 04:17 PM   #71
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettyboop1967 View Post
Beezer, I would like your opinion please. I see that you used to see Dr. Dantin and now you go to Dr. Bhushan at the Metabolic Center. I have hypothyroidism, but I am also in need of a new primary care doctor (I'd been looking into Dr. Dantin for a while before I discovered this forum). Right now, I'm on 125 synthroid. I'd like to be re-evaluated from scratch and wonder if I should go to the MC first for thyroid issues and then to Dantin for everything else, or should I just go to her for all of it? I don't mind the low-tech and waiting for results. I do like having a doc that's a one-stop-shop. I just want to know who you think would do the better work-up/evaluation of my thyroid? Thanks in advance for any input.
The Metabolic Center will treat your thyroid more aggresively and with faster results. Any tweak in meds means a 6 week wait period (with any dr.), and Dr. Dantin wasn't raising my meds enough or AT ALL and I'd have to wait and wait for more blood results, only to feel worse and be told my levels were fine. It just wasn't cutting it. I went for blood work and it would take forever to come back, then Dr. Dantin didn't really have me on enough thyroid med.

I really WANTED to like Dr. Dantin and the whole holistic approach she appears to take, but after going to her for several years I realized that she really wanted to sell her supplement products which she sells in her office or you can order online, using her account number so she gets profit, (Sunshine . . .something) and I didn't feel any better, in fact, I felt WORSE.

The best move I ever made was to the Metabolic Center and to a primary care physician at the Baton Rouge Clinic. (I never would have thought I'd say that --- but that's the way it's worked for me.) I get fast response and labwork done at the BR Clinic and their office just runs smoother.

Dr. Dantin just doesn't have the staff to do the things that need to be done in a timely manner and she wasn't treating my thyroid aggresively enough. I was MISERABLE and, truly, I felt so bad I really shouldn't have been driving, and she told me my thyroid was at optimal. I went to Bhushan some months later (after not getting any help from my PCP at BR Clinic) and he immediately raised my meds.

Go to Bhushan for your thyroid and choose your PCP carefully. I hate to say it, because it goes against what I believed for so very long, but: Sometimes you DON'T need to take an (EXPENSIVE) herbal supplement. Sometimes you need a prescription or even a different approach.

Again, I went to Dr. Dantin for several years and only felt WORSE. The waits there were horrible, the call-backs were very slow, and their lady that draws blood doesn't even work full-time. The straw that broke my back was when I went to do bloodwork during the day (because I felt so horrible with my thyroid) to find the office CLOSED. It was very strange as it was a weekday and not during lunch or anything. I drove back home, incredulous, and I called their number on my way back (45 min. drive) only to find that they'd 'locked the doors to have an office meeting.' WHAT?!?!?!? I had called the day before to say how bad I felt, they told me I had to come in to get blood drawn the next day. So I had driven 45 minutes out there to find their doors locked --- when they had TOLD me to come. I was already half way back home when I learned this. It was at that very moment that I decided that I needed a switch. So I did. Best thing I ever did.

p.s. I wish I'd left Dantin the time I went to a presentation at her office on a Saturday. It sounded like a good thing, but her husband tried to get me to join their pyramid sales team for their products. Then I saw a room with people who had their feet in these foot-bath things. It was supposed to 'pull the toxins' from their bodies from their feet. There was an electrical thing in the water and the color of the water would change to orange as the person sat there and supposedly had the toxins from their body drained right out of their feet. I went home and looked it up on the internet, it's fake. They add salt crystals to the water and they oxidize from the current in the water. So people were paying money to sit their feet in rusty water and told it was taking their toxins out. http://www.devicewatch.org/reports/aquadetox.shtml (They were clearly stating, "See the color of the water, that means that you have (whatever) wrong and it's fixing it." The treatments were very expensive. I'm glad I didn't do it.)

I should have run then. But I stayed for several more years. Wish I hadn't.

"The hardest part about a zombie apocalypse will be pretending that I'm not excited."

Last edited by Beezer Louisiana; 01-11-2012 at 04:26 PM..
Old 01-11-2012, 06:08 PM   #72
Junior LCF Member

Beezer -- Thanks so much. I think I will indeed start at the MC. Unfortunately, I may have to wait a few months and work around the school calendar. But I will go.

I still need to find a PCP. My doctor (whom I loved) moved away. I went to someone new this week (in an attempt to find a new doctor), and I won't be going back (didn't like the guy). My bilirubin is high, so he wants an ultrasound of my gallbladder. Fine, but regardless of what they may find, I'll take my results elsewhere (I'm guessing the MC can handle those results). My former PCP had an ultrasound of my thyroid taken a while back too. I'll be sure to forward all those records to the MC so they can have that information.

I'm open to suggestions for a PCP, a GYN, and an ENT. I have United Health Choice Plus, and I'd like to find someone in network if possible (I'm pretty sure Bhutan & the MC are out of network but I don't care). My previous PCP handled all my issues -- thyroid, allergies, and gyn. Anyway, thanks again. I'll let you know how it goes once I get an appt.
Old 01-11-2012, 06:16 PM   #73
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettyboop1967 View Post
Beezer -- Thanks so much. I think I will indeed start at the MC. Unfortunately, I may have to wait a few months and work around the school calendar. But I will go.

I still need to find a PCP. My doctor (whom I loved) moved away. I went to someone new this week (in an attempt to find a new doctor), and I won't be going back (didn't like the guy). My bilirubin is high, so he wants an ultrasound of my gallbladder. Fine, but regardless of what they may find, I'll take my results elsewhere (I'm guessing the MC can handle those results). My former PCP had an ultrasound of my thyroid taken a while back too. I'll be sure to forward all those records to the MC so they can have that information.

I'm open to suggestions for a PCP, a GYN, and an ENT. I have United Health Choice Plus, and I'd like to find someone in network if possible (I'm pretty sure Bhutan & the MC are out of network but I don't care). My previous PCP handled all my issues -- thyroid, allergies, and gyn. Anyway, thanks again. I'll let you know how it goes once I get an appt.
The Baton Rouge Clinic on Perkins Road should be able to handle all of your other needs. They're huge and have everything there under one roof. (But I prefer Bhushan for thyroid care.)

I'm liking Dr. Rachel Gruner at BR Clinic as my PCP.

If you want to see Bhushan, make your appt. now because there will be a couple months wait.

Oh, for GYN, I like Dr. Kirk Roussett, if you don't mind a male. I've seen him for 12 years. He's at Woman's Hospital, but also has hours on Thursdays at the Baton Rouge General on Bluebonnet.

Last edited by Beezer Louisiana; 01-11-2012 at 06:20 PM..
Old 01-13-2012, 09:32 AM   #74
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: brbangl3
Quote:
Yes, they don't care what your TSH is after they start treating you with Synthroid/Cytomel, because it's totally supressed. (I think my last reading was 0.03. They look at T4, mainly. You'll have to stay on top of them to keep testing your Free T3. My last bloodwork did not include it.
Not gonna lie, that is slightly disappointing. I assumed Dr. Bhushan would place a lot of importance on FT3. (Although, thinking back, he did always like to keep my FT4 at the very top of the range with increasing amounts of Synthroid. Problem is: at some point (125mcg Synthroid, to be exact), I was above the "normal" FT4 range with a high RT3, feeling very anxious and jittery. Yet, my FT3 was still low and I was just as exhausted as before!) I will definitely be staying on top of the FT3 bloodwork. (And, he already told me that he believes Synthroid alone will not cut it for me.) Thanks for the head's up, Donna!

Quote:
The only thing that annoys me are all the posters up in the rooms about insulin pumps and their nutrition class. They advocate 'portion control' for diabetics and offer a nutrition class. They do not advocate low carb. (I asked Bhushan.) This annoys me. LC should at least be an option they offer their bariatric and diabetes patients. But they don't even suggest it. That frustrates me that people aren't even informed about LC as an optional adjunct to their treatment.
Agreed, Donna. Like you said about the Byetta, I feel like they sort of have a protocol of drugs they use and products they push, and don't stray much from them. I am "lean PCOS" and they haven't helped me much in understanding what that means, especially in terms of treatment—except, of course, Metformin and Byetta. Thing is: lean PCOS women typically don't need to lose more weight via insulin-sensitizing drugs. So, what's left? Has Dr. Bhushan talked to me about my diet or eating habits? Nope. Has he asked me about my exercise habits? No. So, basically, if I don't want to take Byetta, they have nothing left for me. That's just frustrating...
brbangl3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 10:51 AM   #75
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brbangl3 View Post
Not gonna lie, that is slightly disappointing. I assumed Dr. Bhushan would place a lot of importance on FT3. (Although, thinking back, he did always like to keep my FT4 at the very top of the range with increasing amounts of Synthroid. Problem is: at some point (125mcg Synthroid, to be exact), I was above the "normal" FT4 range with a high RT3, feeling very anxious and jittery. Yet, my FT3 was still low and I was just as exhausted as before!) I will definitely be staying on top of the FT3 bloodwork. (And, he already told me that he believes Synthroid alone will not cut it for me.) Thanks for the head's up, Donna!

Agreed, Donna. Like you said about the Byetta, I feel like they sort of have a protocol of drugs they use and products they push, and don't stray much from them. I am "lean PCOS" and they haven't helped me much in understanding what that means, especially in terms of treatment—except, of course, Metformin and Byetta. Thing is: lean PCOS women typically don't need to lose more weight via insulin-sensitizing drugs. So, what's left? Has Dr. Bhushan talked to me about my diet or eating habits? Nope. Has he asked me about my exercise habits? No. So, basically, if I don't want to take Byetta, they have nothing left for me. That's just frustrating...
Agreeing.

I don't know about PCOS, but does LC help it? I just take what Bhushan has to offer (that I want) and do my LC and I've had good results.

There was a time period where I felt jittery (but not tired) and my hand had a slight tremor, so I skipped my third Cytomel of the day. That hasn't happened lately though. Right now it feels like I'm perfectly medicated. If I miss one of my Cytomels my face starts to tingle and I get sluggish -- so I know I need it.

I see Mr. Marrinoux and he doesn't give me a hard time about anything. I feel like he's the most open-minded one there.

Last edited by Beezer Louisiana; 01-13-2012 at 10:52 AM..
Old 01-17-2012, 05:39 PM   #76
Junior LCF Member

Had my appt with Dr. Flood this afternoon.....it was amazing! She took one look at the labs I brought with me and said my t4 was way too low. She said she likes her patients to be at 1.4 or 1.5 and I'm at .8 so she said she was putting me on 75 mcg synthroid. She also said I an enlarged thyroid and asked me if anyone ever said I had nodules. First off none of my other doctors ever felt my thyroid, they always felt around my neck right under my jaw so no one has ever checked for an enlargement or modules. She also noticed right off my eyebrows. She asked if i pluck them a lit, which I don't ... I don't have to not even to shape them. She said they were very thin and that was another sign. She also saw some other stuff in my labs and exam and wants to check glucose levels because she said some things are pointing to insulin resistance which my gyno also suspected but again said labs were normal but when I had those done they weren't fasting, so Dr. Flood wants me to do a fasting one. I go back in 6 weeks for followup. I started crying when I was telling my husband. It has been years since I've been telling doctors something was wrong and they never cared to figure it out. Thanks Beezer for recommending Met. Clinic!
Old 01-17-2012, 08:12 PM   #77
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Had my appt with Dr. Flood this afternoon.....it was amazing! She took one look at the labs I brought with me and said my t4 was way too low. She said she likes her patients to be at 1.4 or 1.5 and I'm at .8 so she said she was putting me on 75 mcg synthroid. She also said I an enlarged thyroid and asked me if anyone ever said I had nodules. First off none of my other doctors ever felt my thyroid, they always felt around my neck right under my jaw so no one has ever checked for an enlargement or modules. She also noticed right off my eyebrows. She asked if i pluck them a lit, which I don't ... I don't have to not even to shape them. She said they were very thin and that was another sign. She also saw some other stuff in my labs and exam and wants to check glucose levels because she said some things are pointing to insulin resistance which my gyno also suspected but again said labs were normal but when I had those done they weren't fasting, so Dr. Flood wants me to do a fasting one. I go back in 6 weeks for followup. I started crying when I was telling my husband. It has been years since I've been telling doctors something was wrong and they never cared to figure it out. Thanks Beezer for recommending Met. Clinic!
Aw, I'm so happy for you!!!! Yay! Yay! Yay!

So are you doing your glucose test soon, or two weeks before your next appt?
Old 01-18-2012, 05:00 AM   #78
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: inatic
Stats: 182+/126 5'4 51!yo 16/4 *5* kidlets later!
WOE: Coach:Erik Ledin leanbodies consulting
Start Date: LowER C since 2/02 wt training 10/15/02
sounds great news!
inatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 07:45 AM   #79
Junior LCF Member

I go back in 4 weeks for my labs. Looking at the calendar my followup will be in 5 weeks instead of 6, the scheduler said that Dr. Flood was going to be out when my 6th week fell on the calendar.

I was so nervous going into the appointment. I was preparing myself to hear that I was "normal" again and that I'd be dismissed. It was such a relief to actually be taken seriously and to have someone say they would help me feel better.
Old 01-18-2012, 08:24 AM   #80
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
I go back in 4 weeks for my labs. Looking at the calendar my followup will be in 5 weeks instead of 6, the scheduler said that Dr. Flood was going to be out when my 6th week fell on the calendar.

I was so nervous going into the appointment. I was preparing myself to hear that I was "normal" again and that I'd be dismissed. It was such a relief to actually be taken seriously and to have someone say they would help me feel better.
Isn't it, though? I don't know why regular dr's or even most endos want to follow the old ranges and leave people hypothyroid or undermedicated (if they prescribed a little medication at all.)

I'm SO glad that you got your meds!

Now if you don't feel 100% once your T4 is where Flood wants it, ask about testing for Reverse T3 and Free T3. I don't you'll get them to test Reverse T3 -- because Dr. Bhushan told me that was 'quackery' (I know, I know -- but at least he's helping us with everything else) but you can get them to check your Free T3 and they will prescribe Cytomel if it's low.

Last edited by Beezer Louisiana; 01-18-2012 at 08:25 AM..
Old 01-18-2012, 09:31 AM   #81
Junior LCF Member

I've only had Total T3 tested, which was below mid-range, so I would assume if Total T3 is below mid-range then Free T3 would be too......
Old 10-14-2013, 07:08 AM   #82
Junior LCF Member

Help! Beezer or Anyone

Dr. Bhushan no longer accepts insurance, so I can't see him. Dr. Flood is close to my house, but she's not accepting new patients.

I don't know who to see.

I am on T3 meds from Bhushan and concerned about finding a doctor to continue my prescription.

Please help!

...Betty
Old 11-19-2013, 01:50 PM   #83
Junior LCF Member

I switched from Bhushan too. I'm sorry but I don't pay health insurance premiums to go to a doctor who doesn't accept insurance - RIDICULOUS.

I am very disappointed that Dr. Flood isn't accepting patients. I wish she had told her patients where she was going when she first left (Sept. 2012, started with BRG Physicians in Nov. 2012). Maybe we could have switched with her.

I had an appointment with the new endo at BR Clinic - Dr. Weldon (he took Dr. Hilton's place after Dr. Hilton recently/unexpectedly passed away). Not too keen on him. First he looked at my almost 2 years of lab work and couldn't figure out why Dr. Flood diagnosed me as being hypothyroid - Gee could it be that my FT4 was at the bottom of the "normal range" after a reduction in my Synthroid from 75mcg to 50mcg (Dr. Flood used to keep my level at 1.4-1.5, this guy was fine with it being at 1.15 even though all my symptoms are back). Also he switched me from Synthroid to another T4 med that of course has no generic available. Being that I take 6 different medications a month, I can't afford for one of them to be almost $100.

So I am in search again, which is so depressing. It took me 2 years to find Dr. Flood and I loved her. She was the first doctor that didn't tell me I was "normal" or that all my symptoms were just part of being a working mom with active kids.

If any of you find a new doc let me know....
Old 01-18-2014, 02:52 PM   #84
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Dolly
Quote:
I had an appointment with the new endo at BR Clinic - Dr. Weldon (he took Dr. Hilton's place after Dr. Hilton recently/unexpectedly passed away). Not too keen on him. First he looked at my almost 2 years of lab work and couldn't figure out why Dr. Flood diagnosed me as being hypothyroid - Gee could it be that my FT4 was at the bottom of the "normal range" after a reduction in my Synthroid from 75mcg to 50mcg (Dr. Flood used to keep my level at 1.4-1.5, this guy was fine with it being at 1.15 even though all my symptoms are back). Also he switched me from Synthroid to another T4 med that of course has no generic available. Being that I take 6 different medications a month, I can't afford for one of them to be almost $100.

So I am in search again, which is so depressing. It took me 2 years to find Dr. Flood and I loved her. She was the first doctor that didn't tell me I was "normal" or that all my symptoms were just part of being a working mom with active kids.

If any of you find a new doc let me know....

Would that be Jonathan Welden?

I have recently found myself searching for a new doctor....was seeing Martha Paterson, an internist, and she prescribed me Synthroid and Cytomel, but refused to increase the Cytomel, even though my FT3 level is still in the toilet. She also will not prescribe any NDT. So, she dumped me and told me I need to go to an Endo.

The earliest appt I could find was with Dr Welden in July, but still have a couple more to call....considering Dr Miller in Hammond (actually, he has offices in Hammond, Metairie, and Covington, I think).....trying him since I have heard he does prescribe T3 as well as T4. After reading this post about Welden, I may try to get in with someone else.

Last edited by Dolly; 01-18-2014 at 02:54 PM..
Dolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 08:35 AM   #85
Junior LCF Member

For those who need this info, Dr Harold Miller in Hammond DOES prescribe T3 if needed. I have an appt with him July 3.....don't know yet if he will consider NDTs......BUT, I am on Cytomel/Synthroid now and if someone will just work with me to get my dosages correct, I am ok staying with synthetic. His secretary told me that they have a LOT of patients on Cytomel.
Old 07-02-2014, 12:41 PM   #86
Junior LCF Member

So I will be seeing Dr Miller tomorrow. I convinced my new PCP to start me on Armour, because I wasn't doing consistently better on Synthroid/Cytomel. I also asked when Dr Miller's office called to confirm the appointment, and the receptionist stated that Dr Miller DOES prescribe Armour. Will update here after I see him!
Old 07-03-2014, 10:22 AM   #87
Junior LCF Member

I love Dr Miller so far! He will prescribe Armour, especially if a patient has already been on it. He treats with T4/T3 combo if needed, and he is very nice! He treats based on symptoms as well as labs.