Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2011, 11:48 AM   #31
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Wrkg Mom
Stats: 185/171/160
WOE: Low Cal/Low Carb
Start Date: Sept 2011
Well I gave him my laundry list of symptoms/how I feel and of course he was like "well that sounds like thyroid". So he ordered CBC, C12, TSH, T4, T3, VD25, TPO and TG. The results should be in tomorrow afternoon or Friday.
I asked him of course for agruments sake what happens if everything comes back "normal". He said he would switch me from Zoloft to Wellbutrin. Not sure if that is the cure.
Wrkg Mom is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-28-2011, 12:06 PM   #32
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Beezer Louisiana
Stats: 192.2/160/160 (5'6")
WOE: Very low carb, no frankenfoods. NK
Start Date: June 21, 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrkg Mom View Post
Well I gave him my laundry list of symptoms/how I feel and of course he was like "well that sounds like thyroid". So he ordered CBC, C12, TSH, T4, T3, VD25, TPO and TG. The results should be in tomorrow afternoon or Friday.
I asked him of course for agruments sake what happens if everything comes back "normal". He said he would switch me from Zoloft to Wellbutrin. Not sure if that is the cure.
I'd try the Wellbutrin. It gives you energy -- it's amazing. I had all of my thyroid numbers perfect and I was taking Synthroid and Cytomel and still feeling very, very tired. When I started taking Wellbutrin I was completely better in three days --- it was so awesome!

I'd switch to the Wellbutrin no matter what the test results say, just for the energy-boosting properties. I'd taken Prozac before (and I think it works the same as Zoloft) and there was no energy to be had. Wellbutrin rocks.
Beezer Louisiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 06:11 AM   #33
Junior LCF Member

I think he is going to switch me regardless of the lab results. So hopefully that will help some.
I've been googling the low RBC and high MCH and two things that both pull up are anemia and hypo. I guess even though those results were in the abnormal column of the lab report they weren't abnormal enough for my doctors to do anything.
So frustrating. Especially since last night I was in bed and asleep before 8:00.
Old 12-29-2011, 08:03 AM   #34
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hopefully they'll call you with the results this afternoon.
Old 12-29-2011, 08:49 AM   #35
Junior LCF Member

I am more ready now to go see Dr. Flood on the 17th. Yesterday when I gave the dr the list of things that have been bothering me he said "oh goodness you brought an old lady list". Not encouraging.
Old 12-29-2011, 09:03 AM   #36
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
I am more ready now to go see Dr. Flood on the 17th. Yesterday when I gave the dr the list of things that have been bothering me he said "oh goodness you brought an old lady list". Not encouraging.
Bleck! What a horrible thing for him to say!

You will be so happy once you get into the Metabolic Center.

While you are waiting, make the switch to Wellbutrin. I wish I'd done it sooner. The energy is definitely there.
Old 12-30-2011, 04:14 PM   #37
Junior LCF Member

Well got the call this afternoon that "all the numbers look fine." I asked to have the lab reports sent to me. I don't understand. Today was the first day in a long time I wasn't tired but probably only because I went to bed at 9 last night and didn't wake up until 8 this morning. I still hurt all over - my ankles, calves, wrists and arms. Can't wait to see what the numbers turn out to be.
Old 12-30-2011, 07:30 PM   #38
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Well got the call this afternoon that "all the numbers look fine." I asked to have the lab reports sent to me. I don't understand. Today was the first day in a long time I wasn't tired but probably only because I went to bed at 9 last night and didn't wake up until 8 this morning. I still hurt all over - my ankles, calves, wrists and arms. Can't wait to see what the numbers turn out to be.
I'm so sorry. I remember the same frustration when my primary care dr. told me the same thing. Argh!!!!!

Do the switch to Wellbutrin, you'll get a big energy boost from it while you wait for Jan. 17th to get here.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:16 AM   #39
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: brbangl3
I second the suggestion to keep calling to get into the Metabolic Center for Dr. Bhushan. I had called around 12/15 to set up an appointment, and they told me Dr. Bhushan didn't have any openings until April. An opening due to a cancellation was unlikely because the list was so long. I called back a few days later and got an appointment on 12/21. It pays to be persistent!

I brought in some recent lab results from another doctor's office, along with my saliva cortisol/full-hormone-profile results from ZRT Labs. As I suspected, he immediately dismissed all saliva results, saying there are no good standards for measuring those tests and most endocrinologists will not acknowledge them. Family/internal medicine doctors and naturopaths, maybe—but not endocrinologists. He also was not pleased with the fact that I was taking Armour (2 grains) for thyroid replacement—he still thinks it is not as consistent and stable as the synthetics—and switched me over to 112mcg Synthroid/5mcg Cytomel with a prospective bump to 10mcg Cytomel after two months and his word on treating primarily by FT3/FT4 results, not TSH. (I hadn't been feeling optimal on Armour, anyway, so I switched back to synthetics without overthinking the decision the way I normally do.) Contrary to what my previous doctor had said and the reason why he had stopped increasing my thyroid meds even when I was feeling better on a higher dose... Dr. Bhushan said there is no danger in the TSH being suppressed.

I do think he [Dr. Bhushan] is an excellent doctor, and I completely trust him despite my sometimes differing opinions. Good luck with your visit, Wrkg Mom!
brbangl3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 10:25 AM   #40
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: brbangl3
Quote:
I'd try the Wellbutrin. It gives you energy -- it's amazing. I had all of my thyroid numbers perfect and I was taking Synthroid and Cytomel and still feeling very, very tired. When I started taking Wellbutrin I was completely better in three days --- it was so awesome!
Donna, I've actually been considering an SSRI and remembered one of your older posts about Wellbutrin when you started taking it. I feel like I've been trying to get my thyroid numbers optimized for two years now, and I've just gotten tired of being so depressed while playing the waiting game. I need a boost in the interim. Did Bhushan prescribe the Wellbutrin?
brbangl3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 11:39 AM   #41
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brbangl3 View Post
Donna, I've actually been considering an SSRI and remembered one of your older posts about Wellbutrin when you started taking it. I feel like I've been trying to get my thyroid numbers optimized for two years now, and I've just gotten tired of being so depressed while playing the waiting game. I need a boost in the interim. Did Bhushan prescribe the Wellbutrin?
My primary care physician (at Baton Rouge Clinic) prescribed it.

It's worth a try to write to Bhushan on the patient portal and request it. They start you out at 150mg. and you take that a couple weeks, then they move you to the 300 mg. dose. I noticed a difference in the first few days. It's something you'd take first thing in the morning, with your Synthroid and Cytomel. (Some people report trouble sleeping, it gives so much energy.) I sleep fine.

Yes, they don't care what your TSH is after they start treating you with Synthroid/Cytomel, because it's totally supressed. (I think my last reading was 0.03. They look at T4, mainly. You'll have to stay on top of them to keep testing your Free T3. My last bloodwork did not include it.

I like that Bhushan is medicating my thyroid properly. The only thing that annoys me are all the posters up in the rooms about insulin pumps and their nutrition class. They advocate 'portion control' for diabetics and offer a nutrition class. They do not advocate low carb. (I asked Bhushan.) This annoys me. LC should at least be an option they offer their bariatric and diabetes patients. But they don't even suggest it. That frustrates me that people aren't even informed about LC as an optional adjunct to their treatment.

"The hardest part about a zombie apocalypse will be pretending that I'm not excited."

Last edited by Beezer Louisiana; 01-03-2012 at 11:42 AM..
Old 01-04-2012, 07:11 AM   #42
Junior LCF Member

I should be receiving my labs from my primary care Dr this week. I didn't want to call to see if I could get a cancellation slot without those. I started taking the wellbutrin Monday. I bump up to 300mg tomorrow. I have noticed it helps during the day....I'm not getting tired until later in the afternoon, but I'm still crashing by 8:00 when I get home (which is hard when you have two kids with homework, etc and a husband who works shift work). It hasn't helped with the muscle aches, coldness or hairloss.
Old 01-04-2012, 08:30 AM   #43
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
I should be receiving my labs from my primary care Dr this week. I didn't want to call to see if I could get a cancellation slot without those. I started taking the wellbutrin Monday. I bump up to 300mg tomorrow. I have noticed it helps during the day....I'm not getting tired until later in the afternoon, but I'm still crashing by 8:00 when I get home (which is hard when you have two kids with homework, etc and a husband who works shift work). It hasn't helped with the muscle aches, coldness or hairloss.
THe 300 mg will help even more.

It will help you hang on until you can get in to see Bhushan. YOu need thyroid meds.

Come on Jan. 17th!
Old 01-04-2012, 09:00 AM   #44
Junior LCF Member

It just boggles my mind that doctors don't seem to care about figuring out why you feel a certain way if the labs come back as "normal". I guess he is suggesting that it is all in my head since the labs (according to him) don't show anything.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:14 AM   #45
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
It just boggles my mind that doctors don't seem to care about figuring out why you feel a certain way if the labs come back as "normal". I guess he is suggesting that it is all in my head since the labs (according to him) don't show anything.
Yes, that's what hurt me the most when I was told the same thing (and offered antidepressants.) It made me so angry and frustrated!

Once you get your labs in-hand, try to call Bhushan's office in the morning or at noon to ask about cancellations.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:20 AM   #46
Junior LCF Member

I will. I didn't want to call there to see about getting an earlier appt until I had those labs...figured that would move things along faster with them if they already had something recent to review. I know they will order more and I'll have to wait for those results, but at least we'd have something to start with.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:23 AM   #47
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
I will. I didn't want to call there to see about getting an earlier appt until I had those labs...figured that would move things along faster with them if they already had something recent to review. I know they will order more and I'll have to wait for those results, but at least we'd have something to start with.
He raised my meds right there on the spot, just looking at my TSH and by my phsyical symptoms.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:30 AM   #48
Junior LCF Member

That's very encouraging. Do you think Dr. Flood will be as aggressive? My appt on the 17 is with her (that was the only way for me to get in before February).
Old 01-04-2012, 12:32 PM   #49
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
That's very encouraging. Do you think Dr. Flood will be as aggressive? My appt on the 17 is with her (that was the only way for me to get in before February).
Yes, I do think she will. She's very nice and she's been there for over a year, so I think she would be well-indoctrinated into how Bhushan wants things done.

She increased my meds once before the labs were even back, just from my symptoms. (The labs came in later that day and confirmed that I was low. She called me herself to tell me.) I was very thankful.
Old 01-04-2012, 12:56 PM   #50
Junior LCF Member

Thank you so much for all your encouraging words and advice. I really appreciate it.
I think my husband is finally realizing that just because my other doctors have said "normal" that something isn't "normal". He noticed how warm I was keeping the house over the holidays, how much I was sleeping, and saw me with the heating pads and bath salts for the aching muscles. He's usually gone so much I guess he just doesn't notice - but after spending over a week at home with me all day every day (neither of us had to go to work) he finally saw it.
Old 01-04-2012, 01:57 PM   #51
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Thank you so much for all your encouraging words and advice. I really appreciate it.
I think my husband is finally realizing that just because my other doctors have said "normal" that something isn't "normal". He noticed how warm I was keeping the house over the holidays, how much I was sleeping, and saw me with the heating pads and bath salts for the aching muscles. He's usually gone so much I guess he just doesn't notice - but after spending over a week at home with me all day every day (neither of us had to go to work) he finally saw it.
Yes, it's very validating when your loved ones realize that hypothyroidism is REAL and it can be debilitating. My mother and sister kind of treated it as just something that I wanted to pursue, like it wasn't real and I was a hypocondriac. Now they know: I run out of meds, I can't function and my BP drops really low. I've been diagnosed hypo for four years now, and I think they just now finally accept that I'm "really" hypothryoid. (Nobody else in our family has ever had it.)
Old 01-04-2012, 03:06 PM   #52
Junior LCF Member

The mail this afternoon brought the lab results.....please give me your thoughts

12/28/11

TSH: 1.03 (ref .45-5.50)

FT4: .88 (ref .80-1.80)

AntiThyroglobulin Ab: 24.3 (ref 0.0-60.0)

AntiMicrosomal Ab: 27.2 (ref 0.0-60.0)

Total T3: 86 (ref 60-181)
Old 01-04-2012, 03:50 PM   #53
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: inatic
Stats: 182+/126 5'4 51!yo 16/4 *5* kidlets later!
WOE: Coach:Erik Ledin leanbodies consulting
Start Date: LowER C since 2/02 wt training 10/15/02
you didnt get an ft3 but your total t3 is low.. and so is that ft4!

good thing you are changing drs!! i'd be crawling on the floor with those labs.s
inatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 03:55 PM   #54
Junior LCF Member

I am going to start calling the doctors office tomorrow to see if I can luck out and get a cancellation spot.
Someone else has suggested possibly Hashi's since i have measurable antibodies.
Old 01-04-2012, 08:26 PM   #55
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
I am going to start calling the doctors office tomorrow to see if I can luck out and get a cancellation spot.
Someone else has suggested possibly Hashi's since i have measurable antibodies.
Sending good 'cancellation spot suddenly available' vibes your way!
Old 01-05-2012, 06:00 AM   #56
Junior LCF Member

Thanks
Old 01-05-2012, 09:21 AM   #57
Junior LCF Member

As of today nothing available until Jan. 17th with either Dr. Flood or Dr. Bhushan
Old 01-05-2012, 09:39 AM   #58
Junior LCF Member

I am getting mixed messages from other message boards about the anti-bodies. Some say that if you have any detection of anti-bodies (even within range) that that points to Hashi's. But then others say that the anti-bodies have to be elevated.

Any thoughts on this?
Old 01-05-2012, 10:00 AM   #59
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
I am getting mixed messages from other message boards about the anti-bodies. Some say that if you have any detection of anti-bodies (even within range) that that points to Hashi's. But then others say that the anti-bodies have to be elevated.

Any thoughts on this?
I'm not an expert on it since I know I don't have it I didn't research it much.

I know there are some very knowledgeable about it on the thyroid board. A separate thread posting that question might get you some more responses.

My antibodies were zero, so there was no question. There is no explanation as to why I'm hypothyroid. I'd like a concrete reason and it would make more sense to me. Nobody in my family has it. It's not Hashi's, so it leaves me with a tiny hope that maybe I could reverse it? But Bhushan says no and to stop over-dosing on iodine.

(NOTE: You aren't supposed to take iodine if you possibly have Hashi's.)
Old 01-05-2012, 11:58 AM   #60
Junior LCF Member

Thanks for the suggestion I did just that. Hopefully I'll get some responses soon.

Today is not a good day. Going up on the Wellbutrin dosage this morning has not helped with the fatigue today and I am hurting all over (but mostly in my neck/shoulders and hands/arms). I just want to curl up in bed with a heating pad.

I almost feel like I have the flu or something - very lethargic and achy

Last edited by Wrkg Mom; 01-05-2012 at 12:49 PM..