Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Thyroid
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2011, 01:37 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: mustangtiff21
New to Hypothyroid

Hi All,

I have been lurking for a while and decided to join. I was DX'd with hypo 11/16, My doc started me out on Armour at 15 mgs. Then I felt like crap so she let me increase to 30 mgs per day. Was feelling alot better but still not great. When I met with her the other day she gave me the ok to up it to 45 mgs for a few weeks and then to 60 mgs if needed. I will go back for more blood work on 12/16. I joined the Thyroid forms associated with STTM thru Yahoo groups and also on Facebook. The info is wonderful but I stil have some questions that I would like to ask you all. I feel that maybe if I step away from the info "over there" I might get a difference of opinion. (Not trying to sound harsh to any of those groups they have have a tremendous help! That being said...I was immediately told by alot over there that the 15 mgs was too low and that most people start out at 60 mgs. Pretty much scared out of my mind by some of the horror stories that some are going thorugh on the forms. Also, I was DX'd with Low ferritin 26 (19-150) and low Vit D 24.2 (34 - 100?). I am taking Floradix for the Iron, although my doc didn't seem to think the ferritin was horrible, but she is ok with my taking that. I am also taking another Iron Supp. I am also taking 5000 mgs of Vit D.

Generally...I feel GREAT right now. I have not been this happy and joyful in a long time! My question is....I know the groups say with low Vit D and low iron my meds wont work properly....so does that mean I will crash soon? Should I been upping my dose more? After reading everything from the sites...I am scared to death that I am going to crash, from what I've read and start packing on weight. Also...I am losing hair but I know the ferritin has alot to do with that. I attempted to take what the group recommends for Iron...and I shed alot more hair the next few days. So I backed off. Also, my cold hands and feet are gone (YAYAY!) and the multitude of bruses that I had for no appearant reason are gone too. And my dry cracked heels are getting better.

So any help from you ladies...I would be greatful for. Oh and I have gone low carb to control the weight gain too. So far I have lost 2 lbs in the last week and a half and been holding there. But, I have not worked out...just nightly walks for now.

Tiffany
mustangtiff21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-28-2011, 03:22 PM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Pinot
mustangtiff - Hello and welcome!
I don't have any advice to give as I am just beginning this journey too.
There are a lot of very knowledgeable posters here
and I'm sure someone will come along to offer some insight on your situation.

You said "I have not been this happy and joyful in a long time!"
Oh, that sounds so wonderful!
I long for the day I can say that about myself!
I haven't felt like *myself* in such a long, long time. *sigh*

And it seems like you have a doctor who will work with you.
The doctor I have doesn't know much about Synthroid, much less Armour.
I'm trying to find a doctor who does! It's hard!

Good luck, Tiffany!
Sounds like you're headed in the right direction!
Pinot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 03:46 PM   #3
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: jeaniem
Stats: 166/154.6/?
WOE: lc
Hi Tiffany
I am new at this too, but my Dr. has had me on 30 mg.armour for 3 months now. I don't feel that much different really. Still tired a lot and have depression and anxiety. I had blood work done and tomorrow we will review the results. I was also told by my Dr. that you should have saliva cortisol testing done as well because if you have issues there it may mimic low thyroid symptoms and the armour could make you worse over all. The recent blood testing I had done was checking iron, B12, vit d, free t levels and antibodies, food sensitivities and some test that shows inflammation in the body. I don't know your age but next in line is hormone testing according to my Dr's treatment plan.
jeaniem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 02:43 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: brbangl3
Quote:
Was feelling alot better but still not great. When I met with her the other day she gave me the ok to up it to 45 mgs for a few weeks and then to 60 mgs if needed. I will go back for more blood work on 12/16.
Welcome, Tiffany! So, are you feeling great on 45 or 60mgs of Armour?
brbangl3 is offline   Reply With Quote