Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Thyroid
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2011, 09:58 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: brbangl3
Naturethroid no longer available?

It can't be!! This morning, I went to pick-up a refill of my Naturethroid from Walgreens and the pharmacist told me that the drug was no longer available from the manufacturer. I have the pharmacist calling around to other local Walgreens locations to find out if there's any leftover in stock, as I am completely out of my Naturethroid and it's Saturday. I've also called Rite-Aid and CVS, both of whom say they are not able to get Naturethroid, either.

This is so frustrating! And, I'm already cranky without my thyroid meds—I didn't have any yesterday, either! What to do in emergencies like this? What's a good alternative?
brbangl3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-2011, 05:30 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cocoanut
Stats: 274/215/140 5'4"
WOE: VLC to prevent diabetes
Start Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by brbangl3 View Post
It can't be!! This morning, I went to pick-up a refill of my Naturethroid from Walgreens and the pharmacist told me that the drug was no longer available from the manufacturer. I have the pharmacist calling around to other local Walgreens locations to find out if there's any leftover in stock, as I am completely out of my Naturethroid and it's Saturday. I've also called Rite-Aid and CVS, both of whom say they are not able to get Naturethroid, either.

This is so frustrating! And, I'm already cranky without my thyroid meds—I didn't have any yesterday, either! What to do in emergencies like this? What's a good alternative?
Westhroid is the same med, made by the same company. They were different until RLC Labs bought another company and changed the formulas to be alike. They kept the names of both because of customer loyalty.

If neither is available, try Armour. The active ingredients are the same per grain. The fillers are a bit different. Note that Naturthroid and Westhroid are 65 mg per grain. Armour is 60 mg per grain. So if you switch to Armour, go by grains instead of mg.
cocoanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 05:32 PM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: inatic
Stats: 182+/126 5'4 51!yo 16/4 *5* kidlets later!
WOE: Coach:Erik Ledin leanbodies consulting
Start Date: LowER C since 2/02 wt training 10/15/02
i'd go with NP thyroid, at least its not loaded with cellulose like the other natural meds are now.
inatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 06:24 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by inatic View Post
i'd go with NP thyroid, at least its not loaded with cellulose like the other natural meds are now.
Do you take NP Thyroid? I've wanted to find out more info about it but don't know anyone who is taking it. If you are taking it, what were you on before and do you notice a difference - need a higher or a lower dose?
Does it come in 60 or 65 mg per grain? Does it have the same T4:T3 ratio as Armour, NT, and WT? Anything you can tell me about it is greatly appreciated.

I see my Endo in 2 weeks. I'd love to switch because of the cost factor but not if it doesn't work as well as Armour.
Old 10-30-2011, 08:22 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocoanut View Post
Do you take NP Thyroid? I've wanted to find out more info about it but don't know anyone who is taking it. If you are taking it, what were you on before and do you notice a difference - need a higher or a lower dose?
Does it come in 60 or 65 mg per grain? Does it have the same T4:T3 ratio as Armour, NT, and WT? Anything you can tell me about it is greatly appreciated.

I see my Endo in 2 weeks. I'd love to switch because of the cost factor but not if it doesn't work as well as Armour.
yes, i do!
I've been on it for at least 6months or more (forgot lol)

same ratio as Amour. I totally crashed on Amour and was having trouble with ERFA from canada.. I think they were swapping stuff on me...

Its definitely VERY cheap for me..
Quote:
from STTM
NP THYROID, aka ACELLA, is a newer generic brand of desiccated thyroid and receiving good reviews by patients who are on it. Like the old Armour, you can do Acella sublingually, which patients like. Surprised not to see NP Thyroid on your Other brands page. Active ingredients are listed as 38mcg levothyroxine (T4) and 9mcg liothyronine (T3) per one grain (60 mg)
Other Ingredients include Calcium Stearate, Dextrose Monohydrate, Maltodextrin, Mineral oil. Welcome to Acella Pharmaceuticals, LLC
Old 10-31-2011, 07:27 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: brbangl3
Thanks for the suggestions! My semi-crisis was temporarily averted after the pharmacist agreed to give me a 5-day supply of Armour, after we called every pharmacy in town looking for Naturethroid, to no avail. It was pretty much the only substitution she could give me without having to contact my doctor. I took the 2 grains Saturday afternoon when I picked it up from the pharmacy, and felt really great up until I finally went to bed around 2:30am. I took 2 grains on Sunday, and then another 2 grains today. Today I am so sleepy and spacey! This is frustrating, to say the least.

I left a message with my doctor and hope to hear back from him within the next day or so. In addition to getting his advice on the NDT substitution, I'm also awaiting some FT4 results which I highly suspect are less than optimal.

Ileen, I'm going to ask about NP Thyroid. Sounds like a promising prospect! One thing's for sure: I was really loving paying absolutely nothing for Naturethroid! I know Armour will cost me, even with my insurance.

Thanks again!
brbangl3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 04:27 AM   #7

Hope they will switch you.
There is so much cellulose in the amour. People chew it to help break it down. Might help during this temporary time.
Old 11-01-2011, 08:51 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by inatic View Post
Hope they will switch you.
There is so much cellulose in the amour. People chew it to help break it down. Might help during this temporary time.
I was on Armour alone for years. With the new formulation, I had lots of problems. My Endo finally agreed to let me lower my dose of Armour and add Synthroid. Synthroid is the only synthetic T4 that I know that does not contain micro-crystalline cellulose.

It turned out to be the perfect combo for me. I felt great and for the first time in many years, I was able to lose weight.

My Endo appointment is in 2 weeks. I think I'll ask for NP Thyroid. Maybe I'll ask for him to write a 'script for substitution allowable. Then I can get the Armour again if the NP Thyroid does not work for me.
Old 11-01-2011, 12:32 PM   #9

a friend of mine just got 3 months worth from her cvs caremark pharmacy.. 12 bucks! for all 3 months.
Old 11-01-2011, 03:56 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Is that with insurance or is it one of the $4 generic meds?

I don't have insurance on meds and pay a LOT. I'll switch to CVS if it's on the $4 list.
Old 11-01-2011, 04:17 PM   #11

NP thyroid is considered generic for amour/other name brands..

I'll check with here perhaps you can check/call for you in the meantime.
Old 11-02-2011, 07:04 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

I just checked on the CVS and other pharmacy sites. None of them report NP Thyroid being on the $4 generic list. Generic levothyroxine is the only thyroid med listed.

Does you friend live near you? Perhaps it's on a generic list because Acella is nearby? Hmmm. Would I save money by driving to GA every 3 months?