LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2011, 11:29 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Dharma
Stats: 180/169/145
WOE: NO grains/starches/sugar
Start Date: January 6, 2011
Weaning off Armour

Has anyone here tried weaning off Armour? I am convinced that I may be able to eventually get off thyroid medication and I want to know if anyone else has been successful.

I am finally convinced for good that I am very gluten/grain/sugar sensitive. I've been off all those things now for 3 months. This is not the first time I've tried, but this time I know I cannot go back. I believe it will take 6 months to a year to reap the full benefits of gluten/grain free. I do NOT have Hashi's. I believe that all of my problems (depression, fatigue, anxiety, weight gain primarily) are because of gluten sensitivity. Treating my symptoms with Thryoid meds (tried different kinds), and bioidentical hormones have done nothing for those symptoms, probably because they are treating symptoms and not the underlying cause.

I stopped all bioidentical hormones about 3 weeks ago. I didn't notice much difference on them, but since getting off I feel more emotionally stable and been able to lose weight a little easier. I've cut back from 2 grains of Armour to 1 1/2 grains, for about 2 weeks now. I was planning on going 6 weeks, then reducing another 1/2 grain, repeat, until I am off completely. Meanwhile I am supplementing with micro algae supplements (BioSuperfood) and krill oil, cod liver oil, Sam-E, Taurine, and Inositol.

I realize I may not be able to get off thyroid med since I've been on it for around 4 years now. I'm just so hoping that my body heals itself and as I reduce the meds my own endocrine systems is able to pick up the slack as I heal from the damage gluten has done.

Any thoughts on my plan?
Thanks!
Dharma is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-2011, 11:44 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Kattbelly
I hope it works for you. I am on Armour and it never occurred to me to try to get off it. I have been hypothyroid my whole life, and can't imagine that there is any way to "cure" myself, although it would be fantastic if that were possible.

How did you come to the conclusion that you wanted off Armour/bio-identicals? I too feel I am gluten/grain/sugar sensitive. I wonder if it's part of the whole Hypothyroid thing. Are you working with a Dr./health practitioner?

Let us know about your progress and how all this works for you.

"The chief cause of unhappiness and failure is trading what we want most for what we want at the moment."

"Our perception gathers proof that our beliefs are right."
Kattbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 12:01 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Kattbelly - I got the idea from the book "Primal Body Primal Mind". The author also suffered from depression all her life until she went 'primal'.

NEWS! | Primal Body Primal Mind Diet and Nutrition

I never reacted well to thyroid meds even when I raised extremely slowly. The most I could ever take was 2 grains. Anything over 2 grains makes me literally suicidal. I'm not sure I ever really needed it in the first place. I have had lots of labs over the last 4 years but the first one I had was pretty borderline. I was desperate to lose weight and thought thryoid was 'the' answer. I GAINED weight on it and still haven't lost it. I have consistently felt WORSE on hormones (of all kinds) that I did off of them. So it's pretty much my own fault for looking for a solution to symptoms instead of investigating the cause more.

I mean, there has to be a reason that I continued to get worse even while on all those hormones. I believe it's the gluten. I actually at this point really HOPE it's gluten because I can fix that and it doesn't mean being a slave to prescriptions all my life!

I guess we'll see.
Old 08-02-2011, 12:15 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Kattbelly
Thanks Dharma I'll look up that link. I totally understand hoping that it's gluten because it can be fixed. I truly hope that's the case.

I will be following your progress with great interest. Thanks for sharing!
Kattbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 05:05 PM   #5
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: inatic
Stats: 182+/126 5'4 51!yo 16/4 *5* kidlets later!
WOE: Coach:Erik Ledin leanbodies consulting
Start Date: LowER C since 2/02 wt training 10/15/02
many holistic docs believe that their patients should be gluten free. I know my doc advocates it.. but i dont always follow it.. to the T anyway. I do avoid it mostly except for a treat or free meal.

The only way to know if you can be med free is to try it and see how you feel.
inatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 05:59 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by inatic View Post
many holistic docs believe that their patients should be gluten free. I know my doc advocates it.. but i dont always follow it.. to the T anyway. I do avoid it mostly except for a treat or free meal.

The only way to know if you can be med free is to try it and see how you feel.
So true! I do know I don't have a choice about the gluten any more. I'm hoping in a year I feel a big difference.

It's been a long, agonizing journey for me.
Old 08-03-2011, 04:48 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: poe2you
I've cut out gluten.. not to a T also.. but I haven't had bread, rice, crackers..etc... and I feel less bloated..
poe2you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 04:54 AM   #8
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: inatic
Stats: 182+/126 5'4 51!yo 16/4 *5* kidlets later!
WOE: Coach:Erik Ledin leanbodies consulting
Start Date: LowER C since 2/02 wt training 10/15/02
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dharma View Post
So true! I do know I don't have a choice about the gluten any more. I'm hoping in a year I feel a big difference.

It's been a long, agonizing journey for me.
Im sorry you havnt found what works...
inatic is offline   Reply With Quote