Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Thyroid
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2011, 07:28 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: soccermomof3
Start Date: January 2011
Pituitary Issues?

Is the TSH level a reliable indicator of pituitary functioning? I am considering asking my doc to run tests on my pituitary, and I am trying to anticipate his response. He is somewhat conservative and might feel that it is an unnecessary step for me. However, I am struggling so much with my thyroid levels that I would like to rule out bigger issues involving the pituitary. Any thoughts?
soccermomof3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-2011, 08:32 PM   #2
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Shancopp
Stats: pregnant/fat again/thin again
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 1/1/09
curious about this too.....
Shancopp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 08:35 PM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: lisabinil
Stats: 287/Restart 206/177/160 5'6"
WOE: Healthy Carb for Optimum Health
Start Date: 2/4/10
I would get your thyroid meds optimized first-from your other thread it seems you might need an increase. My endo advises to fix the most pressing health issue first because the endocrine system is interconnected and when something is off in one hormone or area it creates a cascade effect thru the others. So maybe getting your thyroid meds optimized would help the other areas.
lisabinil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 07:43 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Yeah, I know where you're coming from, lisibinil. I guess my issue is that it's been 9 years that I've been attempting to become optimized and it has not happened yet. From what I've read, this could be do to an issue with the pituitary/hypothallamus. I'm definitely no expert in this area, though, so I'm trying to gain a better understanding of where I need to go from here. I see my doc next Tuesday, and I'm really going to push for further testing. I would just like to start eliminating possible issues so that I know where to focus. This has been a crazy and unpredictable ride for me and I am ready for some degree of stability. My thyroid levels fluctuate so much from quarter to quarter that I never know whether I'm coming or going. Ugh.
Old 06-20-2011, 09:03 AM   #5
Big Yapper!!!!

As for me, I have HYPER labs but HYPO symptoms. Doing some searching, it always comes back this could be a pituitary issue. I asked dr. #1 and she said, (after seeing TSH and FT4) that it wasn't and in all of her years of being an ENT, no pts. had pituitary issues. She said it was all from Hashi's. Maybe so, who knows. I'm going to ask my new Dr in Ft. Wayne in July when I go back and see what he says.
Old 06-20-2011, 12:09 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Shancopp, do you mind if I ask you which doctor you are seeing in Ft. Wayne? Is it Kadambi? I see Dr. Jeffery Gladd--he is a holistic practitioner and I've been happy with him. However, I get the feeling that my thyroid issues sometimes leave him scratching his head in confusion. Let me know if you're happy with the doc in Ft. Wayne, kay?
Old 06-20-2011, 04:08 PM   #7
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
My thyroid has been fine, and I've been optimized for a while. I was having some serious episodes of low BP and asked my endo about pituitary and/or adrenal issues, and he tested both (negative) with no problem at all. It's not difficult for them to test to see pituitary issues if they exist.
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 06:56 PM   #8
Big Yapper!!!!

Soccer......yep, I see Kadambi. I have been 3 times. Initially when he did a barrage of tests, 2 weeks later for the followup, test results and U/S. Then, 2 weeks ago when I was having a return of symptoms. He got me in the next day, and redid labs....though he decided not to change meds at this time because of the labs.

Leo......what tests are done to ck for pituitary issues?
Old 06-21-2011, 01:48 AM   #9
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
My endo checked pituitary via a regular blood draw. I don't know the name of the test he used, but he explained that a series of numbers would indicate any problem with the pituitary to pursue further testing. Mine were all in range, so there was no need for further testing.

By the way, my cardiologist eventually diagnosed my problem with low BP as electrolyte imbalance that can result in dehydration even though drinking sufficient fluids. Drinking an occasional sports drink (or Pedialyte) solved the problem for me.

Last edited by Leo41; 06-21-2011 at 01:50 AM..
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 07:18 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

[QUOTE=Shancopp;14755686]Soccer......yep, I see Kadambi. I have been 3 times. Initially when he did a barrage of tests, 2 weeks later for the followup, test results and U/S. Then, 2 weeks ago when I was having a return of symptoms. He got me in the next day, and redid labs....though he decided not to change meds at this time because of the labs.

I'm just curious. . . does he have you on Armour? Has he ever discussed any other meds as a possibility? I'm just wondering if maybe he has turned a corner with his treatment approach since I saw him a few years ago.
Old 06-21-2011, 07:38 PM   #11
Big Yapper!!!!

I'm on compounded thyroid. I do not believe it is Armour. It is from American Hormones compounding pharmacy. thyroxine L mcg/Triiodo-L 5mcg is what it reads.....
Old 06-27-2011, 01:20 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: amihyperthyroid
I'm curious- how does one go about ruling out bigger issues like pituitary? Are there special tests the dr does? Etc?

Thank you!!!
amihyperthyroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 08:09 PM   #13
Big Yapper!!!!

had to bump because I've found out I DO have a pit. problem, just as I suspected! I have adult onset human growth hormone deficiency, a hormone secreted by the pit. I had an MRI to rule out a tumor (waiting on results still) and have started the process of insurance approval for human growth hormone (HGH) injections. Since this original thread, I've had a total thyroidectomy, with cancer found in one of the 6 nodules I had. Meds were adjusted several times since and labs got w/in a decent range, but symptoms persisted. Symptoms that overlap HGH deficiency and hypothyroid. So, my IGF1 was checked again, this time coming in under range. So an Insulin Tolerence Test was done, which I also failed, showing my deficiency.