Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Thyroid
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2011, 10:02 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nuttmegs17
If you are in need of Thyroid Doc in the Chicago Area...

I have a recommendation: Dr. Gary Oberg in Crystal Lake IL (about an hour or northwest of the city...worth the drive!)

I am just now starting on treatment but what he is doing is consistent with what others on this board have mentioned as being the "best course" of treatment. I had been to several docs, wasted a ton of money to be overlooked and mis-treated before finding him. I found him on one of the best docs list somewhere and went in prepared to be disappointed...instead i left feeling cautiously optimistic which is a first in a while for me.

He listens, he looks at the whole picture, he doesn't go by just the TSH (and honestly isn't that interested in it), and he rx's Armour.

He's an integrative health Doc and specializes in Allergies so he looks at the whole picture. I'm also gluten intolerant/celiac but before knowing that, he recommended lifestyle changes to help me battle my hashi's: taking out gluten, taking selenium, adding vit D and iron supplements (based on my labs I was deficient, i had other docs that looked at my levels who blew them off and told me i was normal, ha!)

This is prob TMI, but he also tests your stool to see if there are other GI issues at work stressing my thyroid (obviously consuming gluten was causing some of my probs...he says if i'm "lucky" simply eliminating gluten will help calm down my hashis). he believes in treating of course, but he is also interested in figuring out anything that may be exasperating the hashis which is refreshing.

Just thought I would sing his praises a bit. I will update if anything negative happens...this will be a long road i am sure but I finally feel as though i might be on the RIGHT road. I literally JUST started treating this, but wanted to let you know in case there was anyone else in my shoes having trouble getting proper reatment in Chicago (FYI, avoid the NWM....all of my docs mis-treated both my celiac and my hashi and instead ordered expensive CAT scans etc that i ended up paying out of pocket...look for integrative health docs and not endos)

Thanks!
nuttmegs17 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-2014, 06:30 PM   #2
ss1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ss1
Stats: 160/137/130-125
Start Date: september 2012
Hello, I realize this is an old thread but how is dr. Oberg going for you? I have an appointment with him next week and I'm anxious to start feeling better!
ss1 is offline   Reply With Quote