Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Thyroid
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2011, 07:26 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: brbangl3
What is it about 2am!?

Just wanted to throw this out there to see if anyone can identify and/or provide some insight. I'm posting this as a separate thread, as I don't necessarily think my personal thyroid "journey" is totally relevant here.

For the life of me, I cannot figure out why I wake in the middle of sleep almost every night, always at almost exactly 2am! It's really kind of amazing how consistent it has become. But, of course, very frustrating, as well. I used to wake very suddenly and in a panic state—an adrenaline surge, or something. Now, I just wake, look at the clock to discover that it is around 2am, then go back to sleep.

I do notice when I wake that my legs feel like they are on fire! They are sweaty, and I feel really hot. (Comparatively, when I get ready to go to bed typically around 11pm, I am very cold.) So, I kick some covers off, only to wake one more time during the night to pull them back over me because I am cold again!

Does this sound like something typical of a thyroid-related issue? Or, more just female hormone issues?

Thanks!
brbangl3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-2011, 07:45 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DebM
I had that problem previously. I'd intentionally not look at the clock because then I'd be telling myself I had so many more hours and would get all stressed. I now take my progesterone (always did) and biest (used to in the a.m.) about an hour before bed and I'm not sure if that's what helped but I don't seem to wake up like that anymore (at least not as often).
And, I take my magnesium at night too.....
DebM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 09:05 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: poe2you
yep me too.. i wake up at 3am most mornings.. i start out cold and end up kicking everything off...
i thought it was because of a fire next door to us that woke us up at 3am but that was two yrs ago..
its freaky to wake up the same time each morning..
poe2you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 09:52 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: statois
Quote:
Originally Posted by brbangl3 View Post
Just wanted to throw this out there to see if anyone can identify and/or provide some insight. I'm posting this as a separate thread, as I don't necessarily think my personal thyroid "journey" is totally relevant here.

Thanks!
adrenals. Caused by down shoot of blood sugar (hypoglycemia)…
Usually alleviated by eating some protein before bedtime, no carbs! . almonds, turkey, chicken…….
statois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 10:39 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Amazing! Thank you, statois! I was just reading almost the same thing on Ray Peat's site, after reading an interview between him and Mary Shoman:

Quote:
But hypoglycemia also tends to decrease the conversion of T4 to T3, so heat production often decreases when a person is hungry. First, their fingers, toes, and nose will get cold, because adrenalin, or adrenergic sympathetic nervous activity, will increase to keep the brain and heart at a normal temperature, by reducing circulation to the skin and extremities. Despite the temperature-regulating effect of adrenalin, the reduced heat production resulting from decreased T3 will make a person susceptible to hypothermia if the environment is cool.

Since food, especially carbohydrate and protein, will increase blood sugar and T3 production, eating is “thermogenic,” and the oral (or eardrum) temperature is likely to rise after eating.

Blood sugar falls at night, and the body relies on the glucose stored in the liver as glycogen for energy, and hypothyroid people store very little sugar. As a result, adrenalin and cortisol begin to rise almost as soon as a person goes to bed, and in hypothyroid people, they rise very high, with the adrenalin usually peaking around 1 or 2 A.M., and the cortisol peaking around dawn; the high cortisol raises blood sugar as morning approaches, and allows adrenalin to decline. Some people wake up during the adrenalin peak with a pounding heart, and have trouble getting back to sleep unless they eat something.

If the night-time stress is very high, the adrenalin will still be high until breakfast, increasing both temperature and pulse rate. The cortisol stimulates the breakdown of muscle tissue and its conversion to energy, so it is thermogenic, for some of the same reasons that food is thermogenic.

After eating breakfast, the cortisol (and adrenalin, if it stayed high despite the increased cortisol) will start returning to a more normal, lower level, as the blood sugar is sustained by food, instead of by the stress hormones. In some hypothyroid people, this is a good time to measure the temperature and pulse rate. In a normal person, both temperature and pulse rate rise after breakfast, but in very hypothyroid people either, or both, might fall.
Reference: "TSH, temperature, pulse rate, and other indicators in hypothyroidism." Link: Preventing and treating cancer with progesterone.

The part about the cold extremities describes me perfectly when I am ready to go to bed—my nose, fingers and feet are always colder than the rest of my body. Then, at night: well, adrenaline surges would explain the increased body temperature.

Oddly enough, I take 2000mg Metformin ER for PCOS, which is supposed to help with glucose imbalances. However, I recently had a 2-hour Glucose Tolerance Test performed. At the 2-hour reading, my glucose was only one point away from the "Low" flag, and my doctor wanted me to test again in a few months with a 3-hour reading. He suspects I may have reactive hypoglycemia.

Thanks for the feedback!!
Old 02-23-2011, 11:27 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
However, I recently had a 2-hour Glucose Tolerance Test performed. At the 2-hour reading, my glucose was only one point away from the "Low" flag, and my doctor wanted me to test again in a few months with a 3-hour reading. He suspects I may have reactive hypoglycemia.
You know, I had that GTT when I was only taking Synthroid for thyroid treatment. I started Cytomel following that appointment. After reading the article above, I wonder if the Cytomel is going to help with blood sugar regulation at all. Time will tell, I suppose... Clearly, Metformin isn't helping as much as I had hoped, though. I've been very underwhelmed with the results, and would rather not be on it at all.
Old 02-23-2011, 02:09 PM   #7
KQT
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KQT
Stats: 203/post-baby/175
Hmm, that happens to me just about every night! I wake up at 3am, usually my legs get really hot so I have to uncover and then I roll over and fall back asleep. I take 25mcg of synthroid every morning.
KQT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 04:38 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Lisa46
Stats: 164/117/128 -- 5'4"
WOE: LC with balance
Start Date: Recommitted 4-18-06
Adrenal fatigue was my first thought! It's well documented that 3:00 a.m. is the magic wakeup time for adrenal issues. I was like clockwork, and I actually kind of liked it--you can get a lot done at 3:00 a.m. when no one else is up to bother you.

After proving with saliva test that my cortisol was wacked morning and night, my anti-aging doctor prescribed Hydrocortisone to help heal them. While there were some unpleasant side effects at the time, I am so glad I followed the protocol.

I still wake up early but now it's by choice!
Old 02-23-2011, 06:56 PM   #9
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: JaneL
My 24 hour cortisol test should a spike in cortisol at night. My naturopath put me on 3 tablets of Seriphos. The first bottle I purchased looked like a generic brand and it worked great. I slept through the night! When it ran out, I couldn't find again it at Super Supplements so I ordered 3 bottles online. This batch doesn't seem to be working as well. I'm not sure if it's different or if I slept so well before because I was in nursing school and just plain exhausted.
JaneL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 09:35 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Spoon
I am having issues of being startled awake at the end of each sleep cycle.

I've been reading that taking B vitamins or Vitamin D too close to bedtime can cause sleep issues...I've been in a habit of moving most of my vitamins to the night time to avoid problems with ERFA interaction. So, I tried moving the most important ones to mid morning and have stopped the ones that may stimulate adrenals until I have the saliva test.

Anyway, I read this thread yesterday, and decided to eat something before bedtime. I have been eating very little for dinner and nothing at night, because I'm as fat as the thyroid pig whose poor gland I'm swallowing everyday.

Anyway, I slept until 2 am and woke up very peacefully, for the first time in over a month. I was able to go back to sleep about 45 minutes later, and DH got up and left for work without waking me. Remember, I'm the one who jumps awake at the sound of a child turning over in bed way across the house.

SO, too soon to tell, but maybe there is something to the thought that my blood sugar was going too low, and my adrenals were sending in a crash cart and doing some sort of internal cardiac electric shock to my system. I wish I could have some sort of staff meeting with all my endocrine system and we could get on the same page and not over-react....a good night's sleep would do wonders for all involved...

I really appreciate this forum.

Spoon

Last edited by Spoon; 02-24-2011 at 09:36 AM..
Spoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 10:05 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: poe2you
funny.. i also tried eating some protein before bed.. and have been sleeping better the last two nights.. a little peanut butter goes a long way.
poe2you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 10:28 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I have been eating very little for dinner and nothing at night, because I'm as fat as the thyroid pig whose poor gland I'm swallowing everyday.
SPOON!!!

Funny that we all tried the same thing last night! I, too, ate a handful of nuts before I went to bed. And, I have to say, I had much more restful sleep than the night before. Gonna stick with it for a while and see if it continues to make a difference!

I appreciate this forum, too!
Old 02-24-2011, 12:37 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

While I slept much better, it certainly didn't improve my writing skills or brain function. I believe the quote from above should read: "....I'm as fat as the POOR pig whose THYROID gland I'm swallowing everyday". Perhaps the old saying is true..."you can't fix stoopid"

Glad poe2you and brbangl3 are doing better, too!

Spoon
Old 02-24-2011, 10:47 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: coffeeandcream
Stats: 228/203/160
WOE: LC
Start Date: October 2012
I wake between 3:30 and 3:40 every night.
coffeeandcream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 08:34 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Well, it worked again for me last night. I did wake up at 2 am, but this time it was calmly, not leaping out of bed in a panic.

However, I'm thinking that since I wasn't eating much for supper (or is it dinner?...) and nothing before bed, this was causing some blood sugar issues. When I first started doing this, I got a blood glucose monitor and would test, but it showed high (like 110) instead of low or normal (90's). Maybe it WAS low, then I got a burst of glucogan and blasted out of bed because everything was in a state of alarm. My liver is obviously confused about something. I was doing a very strict Atkins '72 and probably wasn't eating enough during the day, either. I'm not doing Atkins anymore, but taking vitamins late at night and no food obviously wasn't wise.

I also need to find a link to something I read the other day about T4 converting to T3 during the night...can cause problems if other hormones are out of balance.

Okay, I'm ramblin' woman again, so I'll stop. Just wanted to say that the eating before bed has indeed helped me sleep a good bit better, so THANK YOU.

Spoon

Last edited by Spoon; 02-25-2011 at 08:36 AM..