LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2011, 08:43 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: maybell
Stats: 144/117/117
WOE: Atkins
Ways to boost cortisol?

Hi everyone,

I posted my Cortisol tests results a while back and am wondering how I can boost my cortisol levels naturally. I am waiting to take a thyroid test and am hoping that adjusting my meds will have had a positive affect on my Cortisol levels. Is this possible?

I did a saliva test 4 times in one day, here are my results.

Morning: 7.1 range: 3.7-9.5
Noon: 1.7 range: 1.2-3.0
Evening: 0.3L range: 0.6-1.9
Night: 0.1L range: 0.4-1.0
DHEA: 8.9 range: 2.7-8

Any success you have had with supplements or glandulars? I would love to hear any advice.
thanks!
maybell is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-2011, 01:57 PM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: inatic
Stats: 182+/126 5'4 51!yo 16/4 *5* kidlets later!
WOE: Coach:Erik Ledin leanbodies consulting
Start Date: LowER C since 2/02 wt training 10/15/02
are you working with a dr to regulate that?
inatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 02:25 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

No I am not. I tested through the Canary Club and now I am not sure what to do!
Old 01-29-2011, 02:27 PM   #4

bring it up to dr.. OR find one (google or compounding pharmacy to start) Self treating isnt safe.
Old 01-29-2011, 03:51 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Okay, this is all getting so expensive and I was hoping to avoid that.

I will probably have to wait a few weeks to see a doctor, are my low levels dangerous or do you think I can wait a few weeks to start treatment?

I am taking vitamin C, B-vitamins, a whole body detox which has adrenal glandulars in it (prescribed by my doctor for a chemical detox) and CoQ 10.
Old 01-29-2011, 09:19 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mimers
Stats: 160/139/130
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: October 2010
Were you taking the adrenal glandular detox when you did the cortisol testing? If you were taking that within 2 weeks of that saliva test, the results are inaccurate.
mimers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 08:39 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Yes, I was taking it for about 2 weeks before the test. I didn't take it the day of. Do you know which direction Glandulars can skew a test? Would they raise or lower cortisol?
Also this is a homeopathic remedy that has other glandulars for the body in it as well.

Last edited by maybell; 01-30-2011 at 09:11 AM..
Old 01-30-2011, 09:13 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Any glandulars or adrenal supplements will skew a cortisol/24 hour saliva test. Your results will be inaccurate, and there is no way to tell the REAL results until you have been off everything for 2 weeks and retest...some people say you have to be off everything for 4 weeks.

So sorry...this is a mistake we see on this forum (and others) over and over again. You aren't the only one that has done this.
Old 01-30-2011, 09:41 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for letting me know. I have wasted so much money on testing lately I can't believe it! I took a thyroid test and did that wrong and now this.
I will wait at least two weeks after i finish this (I am almost done) to retest.

Would taking glandulars skew the test and show my cortisol levels higher than they actually are?
Old 01-30-2011, 12:15 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

I highly recommend that you go through this site and others and read read read. The information about how to test, when to test, why you don't test a certain way is all over the place. You have to be your own health advocate and read and learn. Write it down if you don't think you will remember. You are NOT alone...many people scan posts, but don't read them *all* and then they miss important information. I read every single post even if it does not apply to me. I have no clue what your real levels are as I'm not a psychic, but I do know that research says that tests are skewed if you have taken anything to help out within 2-4 weeks of testing.

Please read read read so you don't do this with the next tests. Many of us have done exactly as you have done.....believe me, you aren't alone.

I hope you have a good doctor that "gets it" that you are going to. You should be asking him all these tests and asking him why the testing was done incorrectly on the thyroid and then the 24 hour saliva. Maybe he will retest them for you for free???
Old 01-30-2011, 01:20 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimers View Post
I highly recommend that you go through this site and others and read read read. The information about how to test, when to test, why you don't test a certain way is all over the place. You have to be your own health advocate and read and learn. Write it down if you don't think you will remember. You are NOT alone...many people scan posts, but don't read them *all* and then they miss important information. I read every single post even if it does not apply to me. I have no clue what your real levels are as I'm not a psychic, but I do know that research says that tests are skewed if you have taken anything to help out within 2-4 weeks of testing.

Please read read read so you don't do this with the next tests. Many of us have done exactly as you have done.....believe me, you aren't alone.

I hope you have a good doctor that "gets it" that you are going to. You should be asking him all these tests and asking him why the testing was done incorrectly on the thyroid and then the 24 hour saliva. Maybe he will retest them for you for free???
Thank you so much, I will educate myself better about testing. I did these tests through the canary club and health check usa so that is why I screwed them both up.
I need to wait a few weeks and retest everything so that I can get an accurate reading. I also changed my thyroid meds 10 days or so before doing my cortisol test and now I am wondering if that possibly skewed the test too. So much to learn!
Old 01-30-2011, 03:01 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

You've got a great attitude.....do read and learn.....you will be shocked at how much you can learn in so little time. Make sure whatever meds you are on, that you stick with them for 6 weeks before retesting so you give that T4 a chance to turn into T3!!! Learn and you will thrive! :-)
Old 02-19-2011, 06:09 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

question for Mimers

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimers View Post
You've got a great attitude.....do read and learn.....you will be shocked at how much you can learn in so little time. Make sure whatever meds you are on, that you stick with them for 6 weeks before retesting so you give that T4 a chance to turn into T3!!! Learn and you will thrive! :-)
Mimers, I have a question for you. I did read a lot here on this board and was going to start taking licorice tablets with the advice of the Canary Club doctor and an expert on the adrenal board at yahoo groups who looked at my cortisol readings. In reading here I saw that you had 2 heart attacks while on licorice. Do you think it was the licorice that caused it and if so what were your warning symptoms? I did see that you have low blood pressure (I do too) so I am wondering if you have any insight into why this happened.
I want to be very careful with it when I start taking it. Thanks in advance!

Maybell
Old 02-19-2011, 08:34 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jorose
mimers, you had two heart attacks? YIKES!
My doc uses licorice all the time for adrenals. However, if you have HIGH BP it is not recommended as it can RAISE blood pressure. There is DGL licorice, it's deglycerized (sp on that) the stuff that causes high BP - but some say that form doesn't work as well as the regular licorice supplements. However, my doc does use the DGL for patients with high BP problems.
If your adrenals are truly low, (which you don't know since you tested while on adrenal glandulars) I mean tanked low, you may need to go straight to Cortef (H.C.) and forgot the supplements/glandulars. They may not work if your adrenals are completely shot. You'll know when you retest what the correct readings are and how to proceed from there.

Last edited by Jorose; 02-19-2011 at 08:52 PM..
Jorose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 08:38 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorose View Post
mimers, you had two heart attacks? YIKES!
My doc uses licorice all the time for adrenals. However, if you have HIGH BP it is not recommended as it can RAISE blood pressure. There is DGL licorice, it's deglycerized (sp on that) the stuff that causes high BP - but some say that form doesn't work as well as the regular licorice supplements. However, my doc does use the DGL for patients with high BP problems.
If your adrenals are truly low, (which you don't know since you tested while on adrenal glandulars) I mean tanked low, you may need to go straight to Cortef (H.C.) and forgot the supplements/glandulars. They may not work if your adrenals are completely shot. You'll know when you retest what the correct readings are and how to proceed from there.
Thanks so much for the info. I am retesting tomorrow 3 weeks after stopping the glandulars. I am really curious what my numbers will be.
Old 02-21-2011, 06:40 AM   #16

i wouldnt be so quick to rush into HC. some people truely need it but most can heal without it.
Old 02-21-2011, 08:23 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by inatic View Post
i wouldnt be so quick to rush into HC. some people truely need it but most can heal without it.
I'm so glad to hear this. I was advised to start with Licorice and Rhodiola but have been waiting for the glandulars I was taking to wear off so I could get a more accurate test and then start treating.

I sat there for 1/2 hour this morning collecting my first saliva sample and then started TOM! I called ZRT labs and they said I couldn't test while on TOM and that I would have to wait until I finished it. Glad I asked, I don't want to mess up another test.
Old 02-21-2011, 08:26 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: brbangl3
Quote:
Any success you have had with supplements or glandulars? I would love to hear any advice.
I've been taking this daily as an adrenal support supplement and really love it: Stress Support Multi

I also take the Woman's Daily Multivitamin by New Chapter Organics. One of the many things I like about both of them is that they are whole-food supplements and can be taken even on an empty stomach. Also, since you mentioned licorice, this supplement does not contain licorice. (I've written off licorice for good after trying several "adrenal support" supplements with licorice and suffering some nasty, scary side effects!)
brbangl3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 08:32 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brbangl3 View Post
I've been taking this daily as an adrenal support supplement and really love it: Stress Support Multi

I also take the Woman's Daily Multivitamin by New Chapter Organics. One of the many things I like about both of them is that they are whole-food supplements and can be taken even on an empty stomach. Also, since you mentioned licorice, this supplement does not contain licorice. (I've written off licorice for good after trying several "adrenal support" supplements with licorice and suffering some nasty, scary side effects!)

New Chapter is a great company. I think whole food supplements are the best way to go.
What side effects did you experience on licorice? It seems people really have varying results with it. I am pretty sensitive to herbs so I hope I don't have to deal with any bad reactions when I try it.
Old 02-21-2011, 04:10 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

I think maybe licorice is just more stimulating than some of the other, more soothing adaptogens. I don't normally have high blood pressure. (On the contrary, I have typically had low blood pressure and low body temperature since the onset of my thyroid dysfunction.) However, while taking licorice, I had blood pressure spikes and felt more edgy and stressed than before. I've tried taking it more than once—in different vitamins or supplements—and just don't tolerate it well.
Old 02-21-2011, 06:20 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brbangl3 View Post
I think maybe licorice is just more stimulating than some of the other, more soothing adaptogens. I don't normally have high blood pressure. (On the contrary, I have typically had low blood pressure and low body temperature since the onset of my thyroid dysfunction.) However, while taking licorice, I had blood pressure spikes and felt more edgy and stressed than before. I've tried taking it more than once—in different vitamins or supplements—and just don't tolerate it well.
Have you tested low in cortisol? Is that why you tried the licorice? I looked up your adrenal support and it looks good. I like hearing that it is helping you too. Are you on any prescriptions for adrenals too?
Old 02-23-2011, 12:01 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

No adrenal prescriptions, only the adrenal support supplement for now. I have finally gotten my new doctor to order salivary cortisol tests for me, and will have those done along with other follow-up labs in a month or so. I hope they will be more revealing. This new doctor and the doctor I was seeing before have both recently run AM Cortisol readings on me—both were well within normal range around 18 (my ranges are different than yours, it appears). Also had a 24-hour urine test ordered, which returned "normal" results, as well.

Honestly, knowing my recurring pattern of symptoms, I am not surprised that the above tests came back normal. About two years ago, I ordered my own saliva kit from ZRT Labs after my endocrinologist ran an AM Cortisol, declared it "normal" (and, me as having a problem with anxiety for which he prescribed an SSRI), and refused to consider any other adrenal testing. The results of the saliva tests from ZRT (which I presented to him) showed high-normal AM cortisol, normal midday, low-normal noon, and high evening—pretty much exactly the patterns I was noticing at the time, and am still noticing now!

Back to the licorice: I think the first time I bought an adrenal support supplement that contained licorice was around the time of that ZRT saliva testing fiasco. After not getting much help from my doctor in response to the results, I just figured that an adrenal support would be beneficial. I didn't stay on it long. Then, last March, I saw an herbalist who, among lots of things, suggested I buy a liver support supplement that contained licorice. (She also suggested that I take an iodine supplement to "strengthen" my thyroid, which ended up making me horribly ill and hyperthyroid.) I gave all those herbs a good couple of months—even after discontinuing the iodine after only two weeks of daily supplementation—before discontinuing them all. There was something just really stimulating about even the liver support by itself... I started having daily panic attacks almost immediately after taking it, shortness of breath, weakness, a feeling that I was going to faint, etc. Of course, based on my past experience, I just attributed it to the licorice.
Old 02-23-2011, 07:24 PM   #23
MCT
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MCT
Stats: 170/148/145
WOE: VLC
While I was getting some cortisol labs run on me the other week, one of the lab techs told me that vitamin b12 injections helped her recover from low cortisol. She was also afraid of taking hydrocortisone (or other glucocortoid drugs), and wanted to be treated through "natural" methods. Personally, I would just take the cortef, and save yourself the grief, trial and error.
MCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 10:07 PM   #24
Senior LCF Member

I have to agree with MCT on this one - IF yours are tanked. My adrenals were totally tanked when I went hyPER on 3 grains of thyroid. Had to stop and start all over again. (Doc's mistake, and I didn't know any better at the time...we have both since learned!)

I wanted to go straight to cortef/HC, but my fasting glucose was high and the HC can raise glucose, so the doc didn't want to go that route at that point in time. I've been taking adrenal sups but I really don't think they're doing that much. I could be wrong, have to retest to see.

We'll see, I'm doing all kinds of glucose testing now, so if my A1C and 2 hour fasting glucose comes back in better shape (been working with doc on glucose levels with chromium and cinnamon, she's had good results in other patients using that combo) I will go to the HC then. HOWEVER!! -, I will retest the adrenals off all adrenals sups for at least 2 weeks prior to see where they are for sure at that point, before starting the HC (maybe I won't need it!) The kicker in this is that the high glucose is FROM the low thyroid, (along with bad cholesterol) but I can't raise the thyroid until the adrenals are in better shape...it's a vicious circle!

Hopefully yours won't be in such terrible shape when you get the results back. If they aren't, sups can be very beneficial, if they're tanked...not so much. Keep us posted! (I posted a brand name of the adrenals sups I am taking before, mod said that was a no no...I can tell you they contain Rhodiola, B12, Panex Ginseng among some other things...if you only need sups after you get your results, and you're interested in the brand name, PM me...they're phamarceutical grade from the doc)

Last edited by Jorose; 02-23-2011 at 10:36 PM..
Old 02-24-2011, 07:35 AM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for all of your help and insight everyone.

I am getting a little apprehensive reading about people's experience with licorice. Anxiety was one of the main symptoms I was having but it has gone way down in the past couple of months since my doctor detoxed me. He said all of my symptoms were from getting chemically poisoned but I went ahead and tested my adrenals through ZRT and they said I was low in cortisol in the evening and night time. I had to throw out those results though because I was on glandulars to detox when I tested.

If it turns out I need supplementation and I am keeping all of everyone's valuable input in mind and I really appreciate all of the help I am getting here. I don't think my adrenals are tanked because when I posted my results on the adrenal board Val suggested herbs rather than HC because she thought I could get by on those alone.

We'll see.
Old 02-24-2011, 07:46 AM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Two questions:

Quote:
I have to agree with MCT on this one - IF yours are tanked. My adrenals were totally tanked when I went hyPER on 3 grains of thyroid.
What qualifies as "tanked"? Would that show up as consistently low cortisol readings throughout the entire day?

Quote:
The kicker in this is that the high glucose is FROM the low thyroid, (along with bad cholesterol) but I can't raise the thyroid until the adrenals are in better shape...it's a vicious circle!
Jorose, WOW! How on Earth did you get a doctor to put those pieces together?! I desperately need a doctor who will see the bigger picture like that, then treat the root of the problem rather than the individual symptoms. What does it take? What kind of doctor do you see?
Old 02-24-2011, 09:53 AM   #27
Senior LCF Member

There are some that say Val on the adrenal forum HC'd herself right into diabetes early on in her journey by taking TOO much....so I'm glad she's being prudent with you in telling you the sups may work for you if they're not in "tanked land" (But if you do need HC, you need it, just have to follow correct dosing recommendations)

You gave her the results from your test that you took when you were still ON glandulars, right? Remember, those results are skewed. Let's see what your next ones say off of the glandulars.

@brbang, yep, tanked means consistently low readings throughout the day....I was at the bottom of the scale on three of them and below on one of them...that's tanked!

Google metabolic syndrome and hypothyroidism...I don't have a link handy or I'd insert it for you. Metabolic syndrome in folks with thyroid disease is a direct offshoot OF the thyroid disease (this includes high BP, elevated glucose and terrible cholesterol) There are probably a zillion folks walking around out there taking meds for each problem, when low thyroid is the culprit.
I also had been diagnosed with Panic disorder for years....this is ALL adrenal/thyroid related.

I've learned a lot from Pam and others on this forum, I also did a lot of reading and research on my own and I am so grateful for all the knowledge that others have passed on to me along the way. There is still much more for me to learn!

Trying to find a doc that will connect the dots is hard...you really have to find a good thyroid doc that 'gets' it, as Pam used to say. THAT'S the hard part. I see an Integrative MD, one who wasn't too swift at the get go, but has grown in leaps and bounds as time has gone on...she's allowed me to give her information (adrenals tanked, NDT a no no until they're better, etc) and is really paying attention...sometimes that's what you have to do...your own research...and present it to them and if they don't have the doc/God complex they'll listen to you. She is becoming a better thyroid doc with each passing week. I would've preferred a doc that got it from day one, but I wasn't that fortunate, as so many aren't...so you do the best you can with what you've got unless you can find someone that does get it, and hope that they listen to you along the way....it's VERY frustrating, I know!

Last edited by Jorose; 02-24-2011 at 10:46 AM..
Old 02-24-2011, 02:09 PM   #28
MCT
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MCT
Stats: 170/148/145
WOE: VLC
Jorose, did they say how Val HC'd herself into diabetes? How much was she taking? Do you have a link to the thread of this? Thanks.

I'm taking upwards of 40 mg HC / day in 5mg doses. It's making a world of difference for me, but that would worry me.
MCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 05:30 PM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Get the book "Safe uses of Cortisol" by Dr. Jeffries, MCT, I got my library to order it for me and then was able to order a copy online.

From everything I've read, and what my doc has told me, 30mgs is the physiologic dose....but if you're being checked by your doc, and you feel well on that amount, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Just keep a check on your fasting glucose - should be below 100.

I'm not at liberty to reveal what folks told me that about Val, I'm sorry. I was just told she may have been a bit too gun ho in the beginning of her journey, and may well have set off type 2 diabetes...I'm not sure if she's still dealing with that or not...might be worth asking her to find out.

Just keep a check on that fasting glucose!! If it's above 100, and continues to creep up, you may have a problem with the HC.

Last edited by Jorose; 02-24-2011 at 05:31 PM..
Old 02-24-2011, 07:15 PM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Jorose that is really Interesting. MY fasting glucose is 92 so I would really have to watch it on HC.

I have been taking my temperature 3 times a day and averaging it out for the day for the last 5 days. Here are my results.
Sunday 97.8
Monday 97.9
Tuesday 97.7
Wednesday 97.7
Thursday 97.6

If I am not mistaken this looks pretty good as far as my adrenals go. my thyroid is clearly still low (just increased meds 10 days ago) but I think that if your temperature varies more than .2 or .3 from day to day then your adrenals need support. I never varied more than .2 from day to day so I am hoping this is an indication that I am ok. I have had to wait almost a month to retest and not be on any adrenal support during this time which has been frustrating to say the least.