Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2011, 12:10 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: cj gal
Stats: 212/211/135
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 2011
Anyone have experience w/Dr. Diehl in Greenville, SC?

I have an appointment with her in a couple weeks. Anyone have personal experience with Dr. Diehl? She comes highly recommended on the Top Doctors list, but most of the entries there are pretty old.
cj gal is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-2011, 02:20 PM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/119.2/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
I love her!!! How did your visit go??? I go there and I have to drive 2 hours one way just to get there!! She diagnosed me based on symptoms alone. She is great!!!! Of course she then ran all the appropriate labwork to confirm her suspicions. You will get a complete workup for whatever you are going to her for. I highly recommend her.

Last edited by dawnyama; 02-01-2011 at 02:24 PM..
dawnyama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 02:49 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Lisa46
Stats: 164/117/128 -- 5'4"
WOE: LC with balance
Start Date: Recommitted 4-18-06
I love threads like this...another GOOD doctor recommendation! Thanks Dawn!

CJ, keep us posted if you decide to see Diehl!
Lisa46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 03:34 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa46 View Post
I love threads like this...another GOOD doctor recommendation! Thanks Dawn!

CJ, keep us posted if you decide to see Diehl!
I found where you hang out!! Good to see you Lisa.
Old 02-01-2011, 05:39 PM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Hello! I just got back this evening from my appointment with her.

I thought the visit went very well! She listened to what I had to say, did a physical exam, explained my options and helped me decide which issues and tests were most important to start with (because we don't have insurance)...and most important of all, (at least to me right now)--she gave me a prescription for Armour--my main reason for getting a new doctor to treat my thyroid.

I start on my new medication as soon as I can get blood drawn for the complete panel of thyroid tests. I will also be getting a test for the gluten sensitivity gene. We'll address those things first, and hopefully my issues will resolve, but if not, we can go further in testing and treatment of the adrenals, hormones and minerals.

She does feel my adrenals are probably run down to some extent too.

She spent an hour and fifteen minutes with me. I was very impressed and I feel it was very worth the trip up there!
Old 02-02-2011, 03:18 AM   #6

Gallery: inatic
Stats: 182+/126 5'4 51!yo 16/4 *5* kidlets later!
WOE: Coach:Erik Ledin leanbodies consulting
Start Date: LowER C since 2/02 wt training 10/15/02
awesome!
inatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 05:55 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj gal View Post
Hello! I just got back this evening from my appointment with her.

I thought the visit went very well! She listened to what I had to say, did a physical exam, explained my options and helped me decide which issues and tests were most important to start with (because we don't have insurance)...and most important of all, (at least to me right now)--she gave me a prescription for Armour--my main reason for getting a new doctor to treat my thyroid.

I start on my new medication as soon as I can get blood drawn for the complete panel of thyroid tests. I will also be getting a test for the gluten sensitivity gene. We'll address those things first, and hopefully my issues will resolve, but if not, we can go further in testing and treatment of the adrenals, hormones and minerals.

She does feel my adrenals are probably run down to some extent too.

She spent an hour and fifteen minutes with me. I was very impressed and I feel it was very worth the trip up there!
I love going there too!! My DH and I make it a date because we go when the kids are in school. I was considering getting that test done too--the gluten one. She thinks I am gluten sensitive too. She addressed my adrenals first though. I am now finally on the Armour and need to call in to her to get it upped. The only thing I don't like about her is how her office is set up. You have to leave a message and then they call you back. Not very convenient, but I like the fact that she really listens to you and takes so much time with you. Where do come from to see her? I am in the Columbia area. OH, and I didn't want to do the saliva testing (could not afford it) but went with the hair analysis. That is how we determined what supplements I needed.
Old 03-11-2013, 04:17 PM   #8
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: TeacherAmy
I desperately want to see Dr. Diehl. I call regularly to hear if they've changed the message saying that they are not taking new patients and have no plans to do so.

I would do anything to get in with her; was so excited when I found out about her that the disappointment left me in tears.
TeacherAmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 06:01 AM   #9
Junior LCF Member

If it makes you feel any better, she dropped me as a patient in October. It seems she is wanting to retire from medicine?--I am not even sure what is going on with her; she didn't give me a straight answer... I found her to be helpful in a lot of ways (she got me off gluten), and she seemed caring, but she is pretty set in her ways.

Also she told me several times that I should only read 3 specific websites when looking for health information. I'm sorry, but that does not fly with me! I have a need to do my own research and draw my own conclusions.

So, I was ready to move on... I have since started the Circadian T3 Method and after 2 years of near-flatlined cortisol, I now have a normal cortisol curve!
Old 03-12-2013, 06:58 AM   #10
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: SaraSC
Stats: 180/176/145
WOE: WOE: Paleo
Start Date: 7/2012
Hi Cj Gal- I too called Dr. Diehl s office and got the no new patients recording. have you found another doctor in to help you out? I am very frustrated with my internist who is treating me with Synthroid only I need someone who is a little more forward thinking. I live in Greenville but can drive anywhere!
Are you seeing someone in the upstate? Thanks!
SaraSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 07:08 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Purple Crayon
Start Date: August 2003
Well, I was excited about hearing of a Dr. in SC that would treat symptoms instead of just labs until I got to the bottom of the thread and it said NO NEW PATIENTS.
Boo.
Any recommendations for Drs in the Midlands or Pee Dee? I'm willing to drive anywhere in the state or Charlotte if I can find a Dr. that will listen to my symptoms and do something about them instead of declaring my labs normal, congratulations, I won't help you.
Purple Crayon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 04:00 AM   #12

Purple--I am in a hormone clinic in West Columbia. They are fantastic!! While I am seeing them for hormone therapy, they said they would be able to treat my thyroid as well as my adrenal fatigue Dr Diehl told me I had. So if you want any more info or if I can help in any way, let me know. I loved seeing Dr Diehl. She was wonderful!!!! And I am very upset she dropped me. But I have moved on.

Oh, and the clinic treats by symptoms, not only labs. As I told Dr Hall my labs are fine, but I feel like shi* & crap. They will take the correct labs too--not just the standard TSH everyone else does.

Last edited by dawnyama; 03-13-2013 at 04:03 AM..
Old 03-13-2013, 06:49 AM   #13
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: TeacherAmy
Dawnyama, I'm very interested in the information on your clinic! I, too, am willing to drive if needed, but there seems to be a serious lack of practitioners who don't just toe the line in the Carolinas.
TeacherAmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:22 AM   #14
Junior LCF Member

Dawn- I am very interested in getting the info for your clinic as well! I live in Greenville but am in Columbia every other week for business. Please share the contact info and who in the clinic you would recommend. I would PM you-but I havent figured out how to do that yet on this board. Thanks!
Old 03-13-2013, 08:34 AM   #15
Junior LCF Member

Sara- I have spoken with my family doctor in Aiken, who has promised he can prescribe Armour, provided everything is "straightforward". I have not seen him yet, so I don't know if he will be willing to treat by symptoms or be chained to the TSH..

Dawn, I also would be interested in your hormone clinic! West Cola. in much closer to me than even Dr. Diehl is.

Thanks!
Old 03-13-2013, 12:18 PM   #16

The clinic I am going to is called "Carolina Hormone and Health". Don't think I can link it, but you can google. They have offices in Mount Pleasant and West Columbia. The doctor I see is Dr Hall and it was in their W Columbia office. I am lucky in that Dr Diehl started me on Armour before dropping me as a patient. Since I am already on the Armour, my family doc prescribes it now. But Dr Hall said if I feel I am getting no improvement she would be happy to help me. They have supplements there that she can suggest I use for my thyroid, adrenals, whatever I want to explore. She was very helpful on my first visit. I am going to see her for my hormones primarily, as they are a hormone therapy facility. But they can see you for thyroid as well, at least that was what I was told. I hope this helps! Oh, one more thing---she was very adamant that doctors should NOT prescribe by labs alone. You really should be going by symptoms as well. So I feel she knows her stuff.

Sara--you have to be a member here for so many days and have so many posts before you can PM someone here. I think it is 30 days and 30 posts (but it may have changed) so you are just gonna have to wait! And get to posting LOL.

Last edited by dawnyama; 03-13-2013 at 12:20 PM..
Old 03-14-2013, 07:14 AM   #17
Junior LCF Member

CJ and Dawn- Thanks for the responses! I appreciate the info about PM's etc as well. take care!
Old 03-15-2013, 04:08 PM   #18
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Pinot
Dr. Diehl was the doctor who diagnosed my then 19 y/o daughter's celiac disease. I will always be grateful for that.

I had read about Dr. Diehl for years online, but would never go for myself (I am 4 hours away), but when my daughter needed help, I gladly made the drive.

The first year, everything went well. My daughter had 3 or 4 visits and even a phone consult from her dorm room. She was (and is) thriving on her gluten-free diet, no meds at all. So when DD had a check-up coming up, I bit the bullet and made an appointment with Dr. Diehl myself to discuss thyroid treatment. By this time she was still taking new patients, but only bio-identical hormone therapy patients. She agreed to see me because she had been seeing my daughter.

It was a very weird visit. I probably only spent 15 minutes with her and all she told me was that I obviously had adrenal fatigue and that my Blue Cross/Blue Shield insurance might drop me if they found out she was the doctor prescribing lab work. So no lab work. No thyroid help.

Talking with my daughter afterwards, she too had noticed a very different Dr. Diehl, very hyper, scattered, not her usual self at all and we wondered if she might be having medical issues of her own. Neither of us ever went back. I hope she's doing well.

dawnyama - I will definitely be looking into the hormone clinic you mentioned! I live a couple hours northeast of Columbia but my daughter (now married) lives there, so I'm used to the drive. I had a great thyroid doc in Lexington but she dumped me (she was an ob/gyn) and I've been looking for someone ever since. Need thyroid and probably HRT therapy too. THANKS for the info!

Edit: Oh, and, dawnyama, I don't know if you remember, but you were the one who recommended Dr. Diehl to me on the boards when I was seeking help for my daughter. You were seeing her then and really liked her. I had read about Dr. Diehl on the Top SC Docs site for years, but your personal recommendation is what finally made me pick up the phone and make an appointment for my Emily. So thank you.

Last edited by Pinot; 03-15-2013 at 04:45 PM..
Pinot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 05:22 PM   #19
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

dawnyama - I went to what I *think* is the Carolina Hormone and Health website, but I didn't see a Dr. Hall listed under "Our Team" just Dr. Lyles in the Mt. Pleasant office.

Is their West Columbia office on Sunset Blvd?

Maybe Dr. Hall was absent on picture day?
Old 03-15-2013, 05:26 PM   #20

Oh, wow! Your welcome Pinot. I am happy to help. I wonder what happened to Dr Diehl. I loved her, but then she dropped me. I thought she wanted to retire and cut back. It seemed natural to me. I loved that she spent sooo much time with me and was always asking me what can she do for me? That was a complete turn around from any other doctor visit. I hope that this office I am going to now is the same. It seems as if Dr Hall is just as helpful. She told me all that they do and offer. So far, so good. We'll see if it keeps up.

Now, I thought I mentioned this before but if not I will repeat. The clinic doesn't file insurance. It will give you the necessary paperwork so YOU can file, but you have to pay up front for all services. Then you MIGHT get reimbursed, you might not. Just like Dr Diehl's office. By not participating in any insurance they can order any test they want or feel is necessary. They are not bound by any insurances' tests.
Old 03-15-2013, 05:27 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinot View Post
dawnyama - I went to what I *think* is the Carolina Hormone and Health website, but I didn't see a Dr. Hall listed under "Our Team" just Dr. Lyles in the Mt. Pleasant office.

Is their West Columbia office on Sunset Blvd?

Maybe Dr. Hall was absent on picture day?
I don't know what happened there. But I saw Dr Hall. I don't go to Mt Pleasant. Don't know who is there. Don't care who sees me. Just as long as they will treat me! Yes, Sunset Blvd. Just down from Lexington Hospital.
Old 03-15-2013, 05:36 PM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnyama View Post
Now, I thought I mentioned this before but if not I will repeat. The clinic doesn't file insurance. It will give you the necessary paperwork so YOU can file, but you have to pay up front for all services. Then you MIGHT get reimbursed, you might not. Just like Dr Diehl's office. By not participating in any insurance they can order any test they want or feel is necessary. They are not bound by any insurances' tests.
Looking at their website and seeing that it was bio-identical therapy, I figured that they probably didn't file insurance. Fortunately, my insurance pays 100% on lab work, no matter who the doctor is. The first time I took Emily to see Dr. Diehl, she ordered over $3,000 worth of lab tests. I didn't pay a penny of it.

Do you remember the cost of an office visit? Their website seems to imply that the first visit is a "free consultation." Although at this point, I don't even care what it costs ... I've got to find SOMEONE who can help me!

Thanks again for your input!
Old 03-15-2013, 05:41 PM   #23

Wow!!! That is a lot of labwork. Or just very expensive. My insurance is great too!!! Covers the compounded stuff really well. I am awaiting my compounded progesterone right now. Should be here on Monday.

The first consult with the office lady was free. But she gave me nothing. Not a thing to go by. I went ahead and had my labwork done that day and it cost me $500 with another $600 due when I got the results and a doctor to explain them to me. Then I am on a finance plan for the rest of the $3,000 for the year. That covers the labwork I will have done, the insertions, doctor's visit/consult for a full year. The only thing extra will be the compounded progesterone (about $50/month from a compounding pharmacy) and any supplements I feel I need.

So to the office I have paid $1100 already and am on a payment plan for the remainder to add up to $3,000 total for the year. I hope that makes sense.

Last edited by dawnyama; 03-15-2013 at 05:42 PM..
Old 03-16-2013, 01:23 PM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Purple Crayon
Start Date: August 2003
DAWNYAMA!!!

Thank you so much for the recommendation. I am going to make copies of all the labwork I've had done, make a list of all my symptoms and send it to Dr. Hall to see if she can help me. I am on Tamoxifen, so any estrogen replacement is out for me. I hope she'll answer me. I don't want to waste another day off work to be told, Congratulations, all your labs look great!

My family doc finally prescribed something to help with the fatigue, Nuvigil. My insurance won't cover it, but my doc is appealing the decision. I paid out-of-pocket for 4 days worth just to see if it helps. Took one yesterday and felt so-so. Took another today and I feel so much better. Two more days to go and then I've got to either fork out another $60 or hope the appeal has been approved.

I tried using a 65% off coupon. Now get this, 7 days worth was $103 without the coupon. With the coupon those 7 pills would be over $400! There is nothing on the coupon about quantity or insurance coverage, but the pharmacist told me that it looks like the 65% off is only if there is an insurance co-pay.

Such a racket! I still say medical care would be so much cheaper if we eliminated the middle-man.
Old 03-17-2013, 06:05 AM   #25
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

dawnyama - wow, so I take back what I said about not caring what it costs ... lol. That's a lot! So it works out, without labs to about $250 a month? Do you get a "pellet" every month? And does it hurt when they put it in ... and where do they insert it? Do they offer anything other than pellets?

Sorry for all the questions, I just hate going to doctors and like to know the details ahead of time. If I looked like you I probably wouldn't worry about it, but I'm old and fat and it's just so embarrassing.

Thanks for the info though. I've put in an appointment request on their website. I'm going to be in Columbia anyway on March 27 so I'm hoping they can see me then.

Thank you again so much!
Old 03-18-2013, 04:01 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinot View Post
dawnyama - wow, so I take back what I said about not caring what it costs ... lol. That's a lot! So it works out, without labs to about $250 a month? Do you get a "pellet" every month? And does it hurt when they put it in ... and where do they insert it? Do they offer anything other than pellets?

Sorry for all the questions, I just hate going to doctors and like to know the details ahead of time. If I looked like you I probably wouldn't worry about it, but I'm old and fat and it's just so embarrassing.

Thanks for the info though. I've put in an appointment request on their website. I'm going to be in Columbia anyway on March 27 so I'm hoping they can see me then.

Thank you again so much!
Nope. My payments are more like $163/$168 per month. And yes, that figure is daunting!!! $3,000 is a lot!!! My pellet insertions are every 3 months, I think. Could be every 4 months. They put it in my behind. I was sore for days and am now still bruised weeks later. And no they do NOT do anything else. They don't believe in patches or even creams. They just do pellets. Good luck!!! And the first consult is free, you don't owe unless they take blood from you on that day. And they really cannot tell you anything without doing that.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:52 AM   #27
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: low-carb-c
If you're willing to drive a bit, I like Dr. Michael Milton in Cumming, GA. (Yes, dreadful name for a town.) He's another one that doesn't file insurance, but he really listens and is more concerned about how I feel than the lab numbers. He does do a full thyroid panel annually and backs it up with muscle testing.

I was on Armour Thyroid for some years with him. When they started having trouble filling orders awhile back, he let me switch to having it compounded locally. After my last appointment, we're trying Naturethroid, which seems to be working well. He wants to see me in the office at least once a year, but I can also do phone appointments at other times, so I don't have to take an entire day off from work. He's listed on the Top Docs site.
low-carb-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:03 AM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Erin57
Stats: 220/150/145 5'9"
WOE: Moderate Carb/IF
Start Date: April 2010
I'm on the Naturethroid as well and doing great with it. Dawn- I remember you posting about your appointment. Let us know how you feel. I do the pellets every 3 months also.
Erin57 is online now   Reply With Quote