Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Thyroid
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2010, 01:40 PM   #1
Thyroid Patient Advocate

Gallery: nonstickpam107
How do we hypothyroid people lose weight?

That's the question I get asked a lot. As I study nutrition and 'connect' the dots to hypothyroid disease...I wonder...why I lost weight even before I was replaced with hormone. And why some seem to not be able to lose at all.

I know hormones 'get in the way' and especially in women...as we are ever-changing with our hormone status. As I've asked over and over 'what do you eat?' I've compiled a resource of answers...of an embarrassingly large compilation...and I decided to cull out all the 'losers'. The patients, whether they have quite enough T4 or T3 or not, who lose, and maintain it. What are THEY doing???

So far, most of the people have lowered the carbs, stopped the incoming sugar, and anything white. Surprisingly, the majority are eating about 40 to 50 net grams carb a day (ages: 35 to 75). Hmmm. If you keep reading a lot on these boards as opposed to any other, we kind of get used to seeing people doing an 'induction type' eating all the way to the next 'upheaval cheat'. Maybe that's WHY we are pushed to cheat on lowcarb...cuz we keep it so low carb?? Maybe.

I see some success with those on WW too...but they don't look as small (muscle is compact...and those who get too low on fat...lose muscle in the process) as lowcarbers at a higher weight. Just my observation, please don't take offense.

I guess I should 'list' what seems to work or sentences I see over and over in answers to my question:

1. "I don't eat wheat, or flour, or sugar anymore. At all. Not even a taste on a fingertip.
2. "I don't 'overeat' at one sitting...and I'm less tempted to do so if i don't eat anything white.
3. "When I'm stressed and I want to eat anything and everything, I have a rule with myself...I say "Self, ya need to go and do something not centered around food for a half hour...and if you still feel you need to have something sweet/off plan than take another 15 minutes to figure out which lowcarb, no sugar, no flour horrible thing you're gonna eat!"
4. "i get on the scale, and I'm so hard core fattie that if I lose a pound, I want the instant reward of eating something off plan arghhhh!!" So...I make myself (or my DH, or DS or DD) hide the scale and I only bring it out once a week or so). I also plan ahead for the 'Wow, Im great...gimme chocolate cake' feeling of losing weight....I have a bowl of jello and whipped cream ready)"
5. "I pick out a box of tea I've never tried before and I 'sample' it until it's gone...everytime I have time to chill out, I drink a cup"
6. " I keep a list of what I eat from day to day...everyday, and I don't lie about what I eat. Every week, I go back through and look...and see if I can make improvements".
7. "I try and encourage myself when I have been SO good with food but haven't lost a thing. I really tell myself: "Myself, you haven't gained at ALL and you're eating healthy! You're not even hungry most the time...and that's wonderful. So...holding the line another week...not gaining...you RAWK!"

When I first started taking thyroid it didn't have a weightloss effect on me at all. It DID have a 'lessening the water weight/bloat' effect though. And I don't do things like 'meat fasts' and stuff. I actually kept my daily diet really kind of 'the same' for about the first six months of my weightloss (yes I was bored..but...I was losing and didn't want to get 'creative' and then move to 'back to square one, creatively'). And it made my joints hurt less, my hair was nice, shiny, my eyebrows grew back, and at the time, TOM was less 'evil' every month.

Back in the 'ol' days...docs would give thyroid as a weight loss tool. But then we found out it doesn't work that way unless you have 'too much'...and that leads to heart attacks and other nasty things. So...just like losing weight, getting optimized on thyroid hormone....is a slow process.

I think the biggest weightloss eye opener I had about hypothyroid women losing weight...is eating ENOUGH to lose weight. And not trying to base YOUR WOE on someone else's menu. And everyone asks 'what did you eat to lose?' I think it would be a good thing if we, the hypothyroid patient, made use of this wonderful board to discuss, and to bounce ideas off one another, and to list menu, ask about what might work better...and be asking this of OTHER people who are hypothyroid.

Clearly NON hypothyroid people sometimes don't 'get it' as to why we're so danged fatigued that just NOT eating something we want makes us depressed...and why we can't just 'do it and be happy'. LOL How many of us have said "I didn't lose anything" and the non hypo person says 'eat less'. That's not always the answer for us.

We can't MAKE someone post their menu, or be 'accountable' to us, but posting and being accountable to ourselves might spring from this. So many foods and other OTC meds/etc. can interfere with our weight loss progress too..perhaps some will 'catch' the offending med/food/interaction.

I know that my last 34 pounds was just slow coming off....and everyone would tell me 'Eat less! Only eat eggs! Only eat meat!'...well, that just backfired on me. It didn't work for me. And I had folks telling me 'do cardio....hours of cardio!' I can't...my lungs are cranky! So, I had someone tell me 'lifting weights can also help..and it's not strenuous unless you want it to be' (thanks Ileen and Cindy!). and that DID work! Who, when hypothyroid, not up to par yet wants to do cardio for hours? Minutes? Heck, seconds....ha ha...NO ONE!!!

I wish everyone the Merriest Holidays ever! Let's all help each other! I know some stuff about thyroid. And I'm betting that even the newbies (I had email from a former newbie today...and she's just gaining speed on her disease process and doing well!) can help the rest of us with menu, recipes, and all kinds of great ideas!

Pam
nonstickpam107 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-2010, 02:21 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: thewoman
I just wish this was Ravelry or one of the forums where I could click "love" because I dont want to muddy up this thread with personal info but...wow...this is just what I needed today because after a year of treatment for my thyroid, losing weight is starting to seem humanly impossible. I hope this exchange of information can actually happen.

I once wore a Bodybugg (I had already been counting calories eaten for over a year) and I have to say I was disappointed in the discrepancy betwen what I "should have" been losing and what I did lose. I have always wondered if other hypos (and other PCOS and IR people and all the conditions that I have) see this type of discrepancy when using "scientific" weight loss methods and tools. And if so, why can't this information get validated somewhere? Like, as in mainstream whatever admitting that it isn't always JUST calories in = calories out?

Anyway, bravo and thanks a million.
thewoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 03:21 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: slmunoz
WOE: LC
I agree with absolutely everything Pam said! I too lost weight before being anywhere near optimized on thyroid meds. My biggest challenge is fending off attacks from people who don't understand why I don't eat bread, potatoes, sugar, etc., etc. The general population is so brainwashed about what is considered healthy (whole grains, lots of fruit). So often they feel they need to set me straight about what I should or should not be eating. Now that I've gone gluten free, the challenge is even greater!
slmunoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 03:50 PM   #4
Thyroid Patient Advocate

Glad you like it. Um, yeah, the woman,,,,kind of like my elliptical said 600 calories burned? NOT! It really came out to about 120 calories expended! LOL.

People go 'easy' on me cuz they know I have Celiac and allergies...but they still try and 'set me straight' on eating as much fat as I do. If time..I usually hand the person a piece of paper and tell them to write what I 'should' eat. And one by one, I have to say "Nope, allergic, nope, gluten...keep going" They usually give up.

Tell 'em you have Celiac! LOL

I end up eating mainly just meat and veg...and people ask if I feel 'left out'...but I don't!

Pam
Old 12-01-2010, 04:04 PM   #5
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
I lost about 50 lbs before I was even diagnosed.

However, I don't identify myself in terms of my dysfunctional thyroid. There are many other factors involved in my issues with weight that would be irrelevant for others who are hypothyroid, so I hesitate to share what I do and have done.

For example, there's a big difference between someone who has been morbidly obese from about age 5 to her 60s (me) and a middle-aged woman who is concerned with losing 5-15 recently added pounds.

As Jenny (BloodSugar 101) pointed out, no one gets to be 300+ without some metabolic disorder, so what I needed to do to lose weight would probably not be appropriate for others--even if we all happen to be hypothyroid.

I eat low carb, for example, because I discovered in 1972 when Dr. Atkins first published that I am extremely sensitive to carbs--and have been all my life. But I don't eat low carb because I'm hypothyroid. In fact, I don't consider my thyroid at all in my choice of WOE.

Is my metabolism slower because I'm hypothyroid? Perhaps. My endo believes that I have a genetically slow metabolism, and that's something to consider in trying to lose weight, but, again, this may not be true of others who are hypothyroid.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 04:30 PM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: watcher513
What great information Pam. Love this thread! We/They work darn hard at it. When I'm serious about it the best thing that works (for me) is eating every 3-4 hours. Yes, I slack at times as I'm not perfect. It revs up your metabolism. I never believed it until I tried it. That and walking (the dogs love it too), doesn't even have to be pounding/hard cardio, I'm 61 and that isn't going to happen, lol. After a fairly short time (days, maybe a week or 2) I almost have to make myself eat that healthy snack because it really changes my appetite, because I'm eating more often (not More food so much, just spread out). It's kind of a - eat like a diabetic should thing (DH is Type 2). Definitely cutting out the white stuff and overall eating healthier.

Last edited by watcher513; 12-01-2010 at 04:32 PM..
watcher513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 04:45 PM   #7

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
It is very frustrating. I am still quite obese, and eating moderately low carb and calorie, nothing extreme. A couple of weeks ago I gained 10 lb within 6 days. It wasn't water weight or constipation or any of the obvious things. It isn't coming off. Well, it is, I've lost a pound and a half of it. It undid three months worth of losses, and it makes me want to cry, but I just keep on keeping on. It really is most frustrating though that I KNOW my doctors think I'm lying about what I eat. *sigh*

I mention the frustration, since a lot of people look at my loss stats and think I have the whole thing figured out. By most measures I'm a stunning success. I SHOULD know what makes me tick by now. But it really is complicated, isn't it?

Last edited by ravenrose; 12-01-2010 at 04:51 PM..
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 02:52 AM   #8
Senior LCF member

ravenrose-
Do you know why you gained those 10 lbs? Was it "dietary indiscretion" (my endo's term) or did it just 'happen' with no cause you can determine?

I ask because when that happened to me a couple of years ago, I was frantic, but it turned out that my T3 had tanked--it didn't even register on the lab report being lower than the range. With Cytomel, I was able to gradually lose those lbs--but as you point out, it wasn't water, and it didn't magically disappear when my T3 was optimized.

So if you don't know why you gained, I'd suggest getting your T3 level checked.
Old 12-02-2010, 04:22 AM   #9
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: dawnskor
Stats: 151/148/143
WOE: atkins
Start Date: January 2003
thyroid and weight

Hi folks. I am hypothyroid and take armour and cytomel every day. I have been having a lot of trouble losing ten pounds of late, pounds which started adding up once I turned 43. Before that I was maintaining a 40 pound loss of 10 years. . . I am about to be 46 in March and really want to have them gone and be at a healthy weight. I am a writer and do not move around that much. I do run almost every day however.

I am trying induction again starting today. I have been having trouble getting myself to do induction because I keep eating nuts for a snack at night. I eat around 2000 calories low carb a day but this is too much I realize. It's even too much to maintain. I just need a little encouragement if anyone is there to offer some advice! Thanks!!! Dawn

5"10. 150 pounds (small frame--I feel good at 143 pounds)
dawnskor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 05:05 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: katyrose
I've been on meds (Synthroid for 17 years, now desiccated thyroid) since age 40. About the time I was diagnosed as hypothyroid, my weight ballooned rapidly up to 183 (I'm 5'2"). I gained 40 pounds in a few months. None of that weight came off until I started Atkins in Feb, 2000. In a 2-year period, I lost 68 pounds. During that time, I ate no white stuff, but did have a small amount of whole grains. (I made my own whole wheat bread from wheat I ground myself, so I really knew what was in the loaf!) I concentrated on meat, veggies, small amounts of melons and berries, eggs, seeds, small portions of nuts. Butter, olive oil, some cheese and yogurt.

My weight fluctuated after maintaining well for 2 years after the losing period. But the fluctuations remained reasonably easy to manage. I'd go up ten pounds, then slowly lose it, etc. Starting last November, though, I began to gain and still have not been able to turn it around. That weight gain, apparently, was associated with my recent very low T3/high Reverse T3 numbers and corresponding inability for many months to do much more than drag myself out of bed. In the interest of full disclosure, the pretzels did not help, either.

Since Feb of 2000, I have eaten NO SUGAR, which has been my one saving grace. I avoid rice, pasta, and white potato also. But popcorn has slipped back in to my diet, and corn is something I would have not touched when I was successfully losing/managing my weight. I am not considered celiac, but I certainly feel better and lose weight MUCH better if I keep the grains to a bare minimum. So, here I am almost 11 years into beginning my low-carb lifestyle. Granted, I'm 11 years older, have had significant hormone problems to correct, etc. But I am currently only maintaining a 30-lb loss of my original 68 lb loss.

I need to go back to what worked for me, since I had full-blown diagnosed thyroid problems at that time and found a way to lose in spite of them. I do NOT want to do the "meat and eggs" thing for more than a few days to break myself of the pretzels, though, as I wonder if a foray into that version of EXTREMELY low-carb last summer (which netted me a 10-lb loss at the time) might have propelled me into the metabolic disaster I've found myself in for all of 2010. I'll keep my good carbs a bit higher this time around.
183/115/115
Goal met 12/18/01!
5'2" eyes of blue
katyrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 05:46 AM   #11
Thyroid Patient Advocate

I, also, lost best eating four, to six meals a day. Small meals. I'm 'lucky' cuz there's no kids at home anymore (I just keep a cupboard for the Grandkids who aren't overweight,but it's still more fruit and sugar free than anything else).

Yes, 'some' of my weight WAS caused by a metabolic problem. Four autoimmune diseases. And top it off with the no exercise at the start of my losing. I couldn't really 'exercise' till I got 50, 60 pounds off of me!

I'm not 'blaming' my weight on thyroid...but old age has now crept in and I have to exercise a bit more to 'keep' my weight stable (instead of telling how many calories I drop...notice...my exercise goes up......many tell me they 'eat like a bird' yet they don't exercise. I'm not a bird. I'm an adult female with autoimmune diseases...exercise is good for me.

I will NOT eat 'extreme' and I will not eat 'like a little old bird' until I can no longer exercise. I got lucky and built some muscle when I first started lifting and elliptical...and was able to keep a lot of it by eating right and exercising.

Whenever I 'show my menu' I know lots of people say 'Oh, that's low carb? But...all those vegetables!'. LOL Yep, it's lowcarb...with all those vegetables!

I know some won't lose MUCH weight till their hormones are straightened out, but to take advantage of a WOE that will serve us later on...that's important, because everything changes. Everything.

I, also have eaten no sugar since 2000, nor have I eaten flour/gluten since I was dx'd (actually before, I was in pain) with Celiac. Now, I'm fighting a battle over my bones...and if I had NOT exercised it'd be more than weightloss I'd be wanting...I'd be wanting bones! I have extremem osteoporosis and Paget's from a parathyroid tumor allll those years ago. So, I have to really strive to get the exercise in. I'm not 76, I'm 56 and yet my bones look like a person in their 80's, unfortunately. I may not be able to turn that around....but at least I can maintain what I have!

My menu today:

Breakfast: two eggs, scrambled in a little butter, one sausage patty.

snack: chicken salad (couple tablespoons) on two celery sticks

Lunch: three cups salad greens/assorted veg, chopped boiled egg, slice of ham cut up, 1/2 ounce cheese, olive oil and vinegar

snack: romaine roll ups w/cream cheese smear and some chopped olived

Dinner: 6 oz. pork loin roast, cup of spinach, cup of another lc veggie

snack: My usual...protein powder in blender w/1tablespoon HWC, 3 ounces water, ice cubes.

Pam
Old 12-02-2010, 07:50 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Vicster1
Pam:

Just curious - are you using whey protein powder? Or do you prefer plant based types such as hemp, rice and/or pea? Are you sticking with one shake daily or do you find sometimes you have two a day? Do you use any protein bars or just stick with shakes?

Victoria
Vicster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 09:22 AM   #13
Thyroid Patient Advocate

HAS TO BE whey for me. HAS TOO. NO protein bars (can't find any that are low in carbs, no sugar, no gluten, no rice, no soy, etc.??? ). I do a shake a day when I'm not lifting and maybe two when I am. Gluten free things are 'out' too...no rice, peas, starchy for me. But, that's ME...I have allergic conditions so I kind of try and stay with 'tried and true' and don't like to experiment. (The doc says "OMG...did you try and eat/drink something new? What have we discussed about that!). LOL

I prefer ON (Optimum Nutrition) gold vanilla.

Pam
Old 12-02-2010, 09:42 AM   #14
Do you know your CCLL?

Gallery: 2bflawless
Great thread, Pam! My weight gain was directly linked to my thyroid! I gained 20# in 2 weeks eating the sameway I did to lose the weight from baby#2.

After thyroid was treated properly (thank you,Pam ), I lost my weight by eating VLC and continuing to lift those weights. I am still not as lean as I would like to be but I am healthier and for that, I am grateful!

I'd also like to add that by eating VLC I am now off all my diabetic medication! NO MORE METFORMIN!!! I just take my thyroid medication...that's it and I feel incredible!
2bflawless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 10:49 AM   #15
Thyroid Patient Advocate

OMG Lisa..no more Met??? WOOHOOOOO!!! (I'll raise my protein drink to that!).

Oh, I have a good idea. Instead of mailing a Christmas Card (holiday card, whatever). I think that those who's doc isn't doing the correct testing, treatment...should get a 'card'...the 'other' thyroid site (STTM)..has a 'letter to my doctor' on it. Copy it, print it, and send it.

Pam
Old 12-02-2010, 11:37 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: slmunoz
WOE: LC
Great idea, Pam!! I've got several doctors I'd love to send one to!!
slmunoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 03:38 PM   #17
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: inatic
Stats: 182+/126 5'4 51!yo 16/4 *5* kidlets later!
WOE: Coach:Erik Ledin leanbodies consulting
Start Date: LowER C since 2/02 wt training 10/15/02
another thyroid patient checking in...

Mom of 5.. struggled with wt for many yrs but especially after my 5th son..

I've lost my wt eating lowER carb and lowER fat before starting thyroid medication but my greatest successes came once i was optimized.

I do eat everything and anything i want, including white flour, potatoes and sugar(specially timed) Though definitely not the norm here.., i can get away with it because my coach manages every aspect of my nutrition and training..

another show the for Pam
inatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 03:55 PM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mimers
Stats: 160/139/130
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: October 2010
The first time I started thinking of weightloss was when I was "ideal weight"! I was a dancer and used to being 20-25# underweight. So, when I got to ideal weight I freaked....and I was not being treated for anything. I ate less than 600 calories a day and eventually that ideal weight added on another 30#. I was miserable....mis-diagnosed constantly (the usual story). First good thing was being diagnosed with gluten and lactose/casein intolerance and eliminating those foods). Then I found this forum!!!! That was last year with all the reformulation of Armour and me feeling horrible on it. I had read about lowcarb and high protein ways of eating...I had done Atkins induction perfectly and never got into ketosis and didn't lose a pound (looking back I was essentially eating maybe 600 calories a day and was starving myself and taxing my adrenals bigtime and eating horribly and unbalanced proteins and lettuce for my "carbs"!). Now that I've read so much here, and especially Pam and Ileen's posts on low carb, weight training, what/how/how MUCH to eat, etc. I was on my way. First I bought the book "Protein Power" and started eating twice as much as I've EVER eaten!!!! I started eating 6 meals a day instead of 2!!!! And I started losing weight! I couldn't believe I would LOSE by eating MORE!!! All of this while working with a new doc on my thyroid and adrenals. Then I started the Body for Life weight training program 9 weeks ago, with low carb (not low fat as the book recommends), and that has been the best thing for me. I still have about 12# to lose (I've lost 18#), but I"m going slowly and just trying to get in shape, eat well, and feel well!!! Thank you Pam!!!! It's been an amazing journey on this forum.

Last edited by mimers; 12-02-2010 at 03:57 PM..
mimers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 05:54 PM   #19
Thyroid Patient Advocate

Aww, thanks for your support. But, seriously...don't we see more hypothyroid women lose weight if they go a bit lower carb and just eat clean? I, personally, think the cravings we get while hypothyroid are almost like the ones we get on steroids! And when we're not feeling well...and we are brain fogged, etc...it's just hard to reason with a large hypothyroid woman (our selves, lol).

One thing about lowcarb...if you stay on track for awhile...all it takes is one over indulgence to make you feel like crap, lol.

Yeah...I didn't catch onto the 'eat every few hours' thing for years. Yet couldn't figure out why, when I DID sit down to eat a meal, I made it an all day eat-a-thon. I also didn't think women 'of a certain age' could lift weights either...ha ha....so I think we all need to add little tidbits of info of what DID work for us as we think of them. Maybe we'll be an inspiration to another hypothyroid person.

Pam
Old 12-03-2010, 04:33 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RavenG
Stats: 305/184.6/160 or 28/10/8 - Whichever Comes First!
WOE: Atkins/Primal/Paleo
Start Date: June 2006
yet another thyroid patient checking in :)

I lost ALL of my weight on Synthroid alone....but I felt like crap the majority of the time. I was diagnosed with hypothyroid at 24. It took 3 years to even get a doctor to run any tests on me. I was told to "push yourself away from the table a bit sooner". I gained 30 pounds in a month and had no period for 6 months. My GP wanted to put me on female hormones since I hadn't had a period in 6 months (with no testing of said hormones!). I decided if I was going to have to go on hormones I was going to an OB/GYN to get tested first. After 12 vials of blood the OB/GYN calls me and says the only thing wrong with you is that you're hypothyroid....your TSH is 59. He sent me back to my GP who said "Well you didn't LOOK like you had a thyroid problem" and put me on Synthroid.....I continued to gain weight (granted, my diet was crap). I went from 118 to 305 over the next 12 years. I finally went low carb and lost down to 172. I was still on Synthroid at that point with a doctor (former military doc) who only tested TSH and T4. My TSH was still over 5 but I was told that since I had lost all that weight there was obviously nothing wrong with my thyroid and he cut my dose of Synthroid in half....I promptly gained 20 pounds back. Then my husband and I moved to PA (active duty military). I found a doctor here who put me on Armour and it was a godsend. I lost the 20 pounds and felt fantastic for the first time in years.....I had more energy than I had had since my teens. Then came the reformulation....slowly gained 10 pounds over a year.....doctor wrote a script for ERFA.....Switched doctors in June and we're learning together.....I've gained another 10 pounds due to some other health stuff going on.....but I'm starting to figure some things out....always wondered why I did so good on Atkins until I added in grains (low carb tortillas) and I literally would gain 6-9 pounds overnight (even staying within the carb allowance). New doctor asked me if I've ever been tested for Celiac (I have digestive issues as well. I've had them since childhood). I asked what was entailed and he laid out my options and then told me that sometimes the blood tests came back negative even if I had it and that the biopsy would be the only "diagnosis" acceptable by the mainstream medical profession and recommended I go gluten free for 2 months and see what happened. The last two months have been an eye opener. Alot of the digestive complaints I've had for years have disappeared. The weird rash I've had on my feet that was intensely itchy has also disappeared. I'm SLOWLY starting to lose the weight I put back on and I'm starting to feel a bit hopeful again It CAN be done....we just have to find what "works" for us....we're all so different.
RavenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 07:17 AM   #21
Thyroid Patient Advocate

Oh my goodness..you had the rash on the feet! I haven't met ANYONE else who had that, lol. I kept being told it was yeast...and um..just on my FEET? Um, no. Went away as soon as I stopped gluten.

Pam
Old 12-03-2010, 07:29 AM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonstickpam107 View Post
Oh my goodness..you had the rash on the feet! I haven't met ANYONE else who had that, lol. I kept being told it was yeast...and um..just on my FEET? Um, no. Went away as soon as I stopped gluten.

Pam
Yep....on my feet.....first they told me I was allergic to my laundry detergent, then to socks, then to my shoes.....I tried talking my boss into being able to work barefoot but he wasn't going for it It was gone within two weeks of stopping gluten.
Old 12-03-2010, 07:43 AM   #23
Thyroid Patient Advocate

Almost the same with me. All the antifungals, the changing of detergetent (kind of hard to blame on THAT when I've used Dreft for 30 years, lol).

Pam
Old 12-03-2010, 07:56 AM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonstickpam107 View Post
Almost the same with me. All the antifungals, the changing of detergetent (kind of hard to blame on THAT when I've used Dreft for 30 years, lol).

Pam

Uh huh....NO amount of athelete's foot cream was going to make that rash go away
Old 12-03-2010, 11:23 AM   #25

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
ravenrose-
Do you know why you gained those 10 lbs? Was it "dietary indiscretion" (my endo's term) or did it just 'happen' with no cause you can determine?

I ask because when that happened to me a couple of years ago, I was frantic, but it turned out that my T3 had tanked--it didn't even register on the lab report being lower than the range. With Cytomel, I was able to gradually lose those lbs--but as you point out, it wasn't water, and it didn't magically disappear when my T3 was optimized.

So if you don't know why you gained, I'd suggest getting your T3 level checked.
If it was dietary indiscretion I wouldn't call it a mystery! LOL I know all about how quickly those affect me.

My T3 is always low, so no reason why this should happen all at once that I can see. I am slowly increasing the Cytomel, but the increase didn't see this weight coming off.

Thank you for the suggestion though.

Last edited by ravenrose; 12-03-2010 at 11:24 AM..
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 12:59 PM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: katyrose
OK, you weight lifting ladies! I've got the Body for Life book here somewhere. I'm going to start by hefting it off the bookcase and then see if I can get started with it. I've only recently felt well enough (at any time in the past YEAR) to exercise at all, unless you count slouching from the bed to the recliner. THAT BAD. Now I'm doing the treadmill and taking walks outside. Weight lifting has always eluded me. I have herniated discs in my neck, and when I went to a PT two years ago to try to get started on some safe exercises, he basically said he'd rather work on my neck with massage and ultrasound and traction at that point that take any chances on further injury. He helped me a lot in a few months of treatment. But my overall muscle tone is awful now and I need to get a handle on this SOON. Maybe I will get a few more sessions of PT with this great guy and see if he thinks I'm OK enough now to work with some weights.

BTW, another strategy that does work for me during weightloss phases is to limit my eating to about 6-8 hours during daylight. I find if I eat my last food for the day not much later than 4, I will lose. The later in the day I eat, the less the chance I'll lose. Of course, this isn't always practical, but when it is, it works for me. It seems to keep my feelings of hypoglycemia at bay, too---always a plus.
katyrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 01:06 PM   #27
Senior LCF member

Ravenrose-
When I gained from low T3, the Cytomel only 'cured' my exhaustion. It was depressing because I had to lose those 10 lbs just as slowly and painfully as the lbs I'd gained from overeating--not fair--my thyroid did it to me!

But it could be the low T3; perhaps the gain comes when we go below a certain level (I don't know; I'm guessing)--raising the level will just make it 'possible' for you to lose; it won't actually cause loss--unfortunately.

Last edited by Leo41; 12-03-2010 at 01:07 PM..
Old 12-03-2010, 07:09 PM   #28
Thyroid Patient Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by katyrose View Post
OK, you weight lifting ladies! I've got the Body for Life book here somewhere. I'm going to start by hefting it off the bookcase and then see if I can get started with it. I've only recently felt well enough (at any time in the past YEAR) to exercise at all, unless you count slouching from the bed to the recliner. THAT BAD. Now I'm doing the treadmill and taking walks outside. Weight lifting has always eluded me. I have herniated discs in my neck, and when I went to a PT two years ago to try to get started on some safe exercises, he basically said he'd rather work on my neck with massage and ultrasound and traction at that point that take any chances on further injury. He helped me a lot in a few months of treatment. But my overall muscle tone is awful now and I need to get a handle on this SOON. Maybe I will get a few more sessions of PT with this great guy and see if he thinks I'm OK enough now to work with some weights.

BTW, another strategy that does work for me during weightloss phases is to limit my eating to about 6-8 hours during daylight. I find if I eat my last food for the day not much later than 4, I will lose. The later in the day I eat, the less the chance I'll lose. Of course, this isn't always practical, but when it is, it works for me. It seems to keep my feelings of hypoglycemia at bay, too---always a plus.
I started with Body For Life. I had to 'modify' it for me though, too. (Crushing injury to both base of thumbs...right hand went through a dough sheeter years ago...and the pin holding the thumb on...keeps coming out if I push it,...so I have special gloves). I also had to lift 'gently' at first (I know that sounds 'weird' but...you'll get it when you start). I started with a coffee table (still love it as a weight bench) and just dumbbells.

I did NOT follow the cardio instructions of BFL, nor did I do the eating in the book. But...with Ileen's help...I learned about adding carbs after a lifting session, and all.

Even if you don't push with the weights, you can achieve better muscle tone and become stronger. Best of luck! I'm betting you'll really love it.

Pam
Old 12-04-2010, 05:22 AM   #29
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: inatic
Stats: 182+/126 5'4 51!yo 16/4 *5* kidlets later!
WOE: Coach:Erik Ledin leanbodies consulting
Start Date: LowER C since 2/02 wt training 10/15/02
Quote:
Originally Posted by katyrose View Post

i HAD a bulging herniated disk in my neck and have arthritis etc in my neck and low back,knee etc....I work with an ART (Active Release Techniques: A.R.T.) doc

get medical clearance and make sure its ok/safe for you.
inatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 11:23 AM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mattie jo
2bflawless: What is VLC?

I lost weight on the atkins diet once, but now I can't lose the ten lbs. i wish to lose.

i am a vegetarian and have gluten problems. I eat some brown rice but not much. some corn bread but not much. but i have a feeling i have to be strick, too strick for my own life enjoyment.

i feel like i am basically living off eggs, 1 percent milk, nuts, some cheese, fruit and kefir. but then i had whole grained brown puffed rice and homemade cornbread, but then i don't eat much when i had it.

i just got off 3 percent milk and ice cream that wasn't helping, but i have not lost a pound. and i quit eating homemade cheese enchildadas made with corn tortillas. maybe that will help too.

i am short, so 10 lbs makes me heavy.

hard to do the atkins diet when you don't eat meat.
mattie jo is offline   Reply With Quote