Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2013, 01:46 PM   #181
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: goodeats
Stats: 218/170/130 - 5' 2"
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: October, 2012
Does anyone else go through phases with brain fog? For the longest time I thought there was something wrong with me because I couldn't focus on my work. And every night I enjoy reading before I go to sleep, but I can't retain what I'm reading. I'm thinking it's something with my eating and the thyroid.

Cherie
goodeats is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-2013, 04:55 PM   #182
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: watcher513
Sounds like time to get your thyroid labs done and see where you are there.
watcher513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 08:36 PM   #183
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: greengeeny
Stats: 226/167.2/135
WOE: Eating less than 20 carbs a day
Start Date: September 13, 2013
Is there anyone out there? I have a hypothyroid. After 8 years, I am still not regulated on my synthroid I take 200 mcg daily right now. I do have an appointment this coming Tuesday. To discuss my last bloodwork, and possibly change my synthroid again? I don't know. My issue is I go through phases. I was not overweight when I found out I was hypo. I was getting heart palpitations, and being that I had just turned 30, I was scared. My dr. couldn't figure it out, so he did a complete bloodwork on me, and my level came back as 126. My dr. said it was the highest he had ever seen. My synthroid started immediately. A few months later, a few extra pounds appeared. My dr. said no worries, probably need to increase your synthroid again. Just a few weeks ago, I weighed in at 216. My ideal, healthy weight should be around 130-135. I was 132 lbs 8 years ago. So...here's my dilemma. Some days I don't WANT to take my synthroid. Some days I am pissed off that I have gained so much weight. Some days turn into a week. And, then I realize there is nothing I can do, because now when I stop taking it, I REALLY do have symptoms. And, so I start taking it again. And, then, a few months will pass, and the same thing will happen all over again. I get so frustrated that this has happened to me. I know stopping is dangerous. Sometimes I feel like I am depressed because of it.

My doctor never told me not to eat certain foods. He never told me anything like that. I just read some of these posts and I am in awe.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...eightress.html

greengeeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 04:10 AM   #184
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
First of all, don't believe everything you read online about thyroid issues. There's a lot of hysteria out there. For example, I asked my endo about foods (e.g., raw spinach or broccoli), and he told me not to worry unless I was eating those foods daily.

Keep in mind that a slow thyroid will slow your metabolism, but not necessarily cause weight gain--if you're careful. I lost my initial 60 lbs when I was clearly hypothyroid, but undiagnosed. What's important is to realize that you probably can't eat at the level you're used to eating.

And I don't know what damaged you've caused in failing to take your Synthroid consistently. These are not 'meds' but thyroid hormones, and when you don't take them, you deprive your body of the hormones it needs to regulate its operations. THAT could easily cause weight gain, but I'm not a physician, so I don't know this. What I do know is that I need to take my thyroid Rx daily, as prescribed.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 05:44 AM   #185
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: girondet
Stats: Maintaining 125-128, 5'5"
WOE: Bernstein/paleo
Start Date: May 2009
Pretty much my story too. I lost weight even though hypothyroid, have weighed over 60 lbs more than I do now. I feel much, much better, even look younger than I did 10-15 years ago. I would never consider not taking my thyroid hormone. Before all the internet info available, I looked up hypothyroidism in a medical dictionary at the library. Not a pretty picture if left untreated.
girondet is offline   Reply With Quote