Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Thyroid
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2012, 11:38 AM   #121
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
JUDDD should not be a problem because you only do those 500 cal for one day, and that's why--the body won't respond to the low calories that quickly. That's the reason you should never do consecutive DDs.

It's difficult to say whether your inability to lose is the thyroid because I've had two separate experiences.

I had severe symptoms, but my primary doctor insisted it was not my thyroid. It was, and I was finally diagnosed and medicated. But in the 2 years that I was symptomatic and not yet treated, I lost 80 lbs eating low carb.

Five years later, I was steadily losing a pound a week, and suddenly I was so fatigued that I could barely manage to function--and I gained 10 lbs in 2 weeks, eating exactly as I had been when losing. My T3 had tanked completely.

However, the weight problem was accompanied by very severe exhaustion. When thyroid is the issue with weight, there are almost always other very severe symptoms involved.
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-2012, 08:19 PM   #122
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: greengeeny
Stats: 226/167.2/135
WOE: Eating less than 20 carbs a day
Start Date: September 13, 2013
Bump. I have a hypothyroid. I am on 275 micrograms of levothyroxine. It took 6 years to level out my hormones. I have never seen an endicrinologist, and think maybe I should. I have always seen my family practitioner, and have to say, I have no idea what half of the stuff you are refering to (t3, t4) are. I didn't even know I had a bad thyroid. I was healthy. BUT, I started having heart palpitations right after my 30th birthday, and it scared the crap out of me. My doctor ran a full blood test on me because he couldn't figure out what was wrong, and when it came back, he said it was one of the worst counts he had ever seen~127. Once I was put on levothyroxine, I started gaining weight!!!! I thought it was gonna do the opposite. Well here I am, 6 years later, and 70 pounds heavier

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...eightress.html

Last edited by greengeeny; 03-08-2012 at 08:21 PM..
greengeeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 06:25 PM   #123
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: rainbow000
Stats: 130/127.2/120
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 03/06/12
Greengreeny,

I prefer a Naturopath to manage my thyroid med/levels over an MD or Endo. If you weren’t on thyroid you would’ve gained a lot more weight. It’s not the medicine; it’s probably the fact that you still may not be in balance.

T4 is a hormone your thyroid produces. It then converts T4 to T3, in order for your cells to use it. T3 is the only hormone found in every single cell of your entire body. It’s the only hormone that holds the master key to all your cells, if you will. That’s why when thyroid levels are out of whack it affects your entire body from your circulatory system, brain/mind, endocrine, all hormones, etc.; basically from your head to your toes and everything in between.

When you take a medication like synthroid or levothyroxine you are taking synthetic T4 (man made). The only issue with this is your body actually has to be converting it to T3 to use. You need to first have your Dr (or go to a Naturopath) pull labs to show that your medication is converting to T3. The most important labs are your TSH level, Free T3, and Free T4. If you have not had your thyroid antibodies checked then you would need that too, in order to rule out the cause of your thyroid disorder being autoimmune, which is different then just having a slow/hypo thyroid. You should have zero antibodies; if you have any then you most likely have an autoimmune disorder going on, which requires a different protocol initially but eventually you would end up on medication.

To be symptom free patients typically have their TSH suppressed to very low levels, and the Free T3 and Free T4 in the upper two thirds of each of their respective ranges. TSH should NEVER, EVER be the only lab looked at, as it does not in any way tell the whole story. TSH can sometimes show your thyroid isn’t functioning properly, which is good….BUT….sometimes the TSH level is fine and all the other numbers behind the scene are too high.

If your body is not sufficiently converting T4 to T3 then you always have the option of taking a T4/T3 compound. Or you can keep taking your T4 pill (Levothyroxine) and add a T3….however, most Dr’s are weary of T3 due to it’s fast/instant acting properties. That’s another reason a Naturopath is better suited to deal with this. In general, they will take the labs into consideration but if you are still symptomatic they will up an switch your doses around….trying compound, desiccated, etc. In my experience they are more open-minded and normally have a way better grasp on thyroid levels.

If you didn’t already know….thyroid medication should never be taken with or around the time of food, iron, or calcium. They will all affect the amount of thyroid you absorb and are able to utilize. Selenium is always a good thing to take with thyroid medication.

I’m not a Dr, just giving my 2 cents as a long time thyroid patient. Please get in and see your Dr or make an appointment with a new one that can help you.
rainbow000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 01:57 PM   #124
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow000 View Post
If you didn’t already know….thyroid medication should never be taken with or around the time of food, iron, or calcium. They will all affect the amount of thyroid you absorb and are able to utilize. Selenium is always a good thing to take with thyroid medication.

I’m not a Dr, just giving my 2 cents as a long time thyroid patient. Please get in and see your Dr or make an appointment with a new one that can help you.
Do you mean you should take it at the same time as the thyroid medication, or just should be taken when on medication?
I've started taking my medication in the early morning hours (2-3am) to avoid taking too near food or vitamins.
I have started taking selenium (tho didn't know it was good for my thyroid), but I take it at bedtime. Should I switch to taking it with my thyroid meds?
crazywoman-n-wy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 11:20 AM   #125
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Billie: My doctor told me that I should take my thyroid meds right when I get up and have breakfast 45-60 minutes afterwards. She told me to take the selenium with the thyroid meds. She said a little bit of cream/milk in coffee is fine and mainly the "calcium" part is referring to supplements with lots of calcium in them.
CarolynF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 01:01 PM   #126
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
Thanks for that info Carolyn! That does help!
I have gotten to taking my meds in the early morning when I wake up to go potty. This way It is about 4 (or so) hours after I've eaten or drank anything the night before, and I'll have 4 hours (more or less) after I've taken them before I eat. I REALLY have a hard time waiting even 30 min after I get up before having my coffee. I had a nurse suggest my getting up at 5:30am, take it, then go back to bed. But that wasn't going to happen. Sometime I didn't wake up until a couple of hours before I actually got up, and I worried about the cream in my coffee. (I don't drink sweet coffee, but I sure LIKE my cream in it!!) Now I'm not so worried about that. And I'll put my Selenium in with my Thyroid meds now. Never knew about the Selenium till rainbow000 mentioned it. I had actually started taking it, but didn't know it was good for my Thyroid.
Again thanks!!!! And thank you rainbow000.

For God so loved the world he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life! John 3:16
My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely.
crazywoman-n-wy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 06:55 PM   #127
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: SKnight
Stats: 230/180/160
WOE: Yoli's Better Body System
Start Date: Jan 6 2012
I started the Yoli Better Body System on Jan 2 2012 and I have now lost 50 pounds. I too have hypothyroid and take Amour. Since being on this program and losing the weight my thyroid meds have been decreased twice. I go Monday for another review of my blood work. I'll admit it has been slower going every time the Dr. decreases my meds until my body gets use to the lower dosage. I am excited to see what my new results will say.
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 02:46 PM   #128
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: bellaire
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: )ct 2010
I had a benign tumor on one side and my doc wanted to take it out because my brother had thyroid cancer years ago.
So with only half I became hypo within a few months. I gained weight, I could not get off the couch and my feet hurt so much i could hardly walk across the room.

Getting up at night to go to bathroom was flat dangerous.

They started me on .75 synthroid and I lost 11 lbs in one month. I guess that was the weight that had come after surgery. After that I could not lose without starving myself.

Finally I lost 30 lbs and during all that, my labs would be fine one visit and wacky the next. The doc has bumped me up to .88 and then added cytomel and when I was hungry all the time he backed off the cytomel.

My last visit he looked at my TSH which was 1.6 which is bad for me. If it is not .7 or less my feet kill me. But also the t3 and t4 were off. He said "You'll never lose weight this way".

So he put me on 1.5 grains of Armour. I feel fine in the morning but poop out in the afternoon. I won't be able to know if this is enough for 3 more months.

But they did tell me yesterday that I can split the dose into 2. I take one half at 5 in the morning. And go back to bed for at least an hour.

Then take the other half at 12-1. So far I feel fine, but I have onlly been on the Armour for 2 weeks. I guess that is not long enough for the synthroid to even be gone yet.

Anyone here on Armour? I feel ok, but I am do LC now. No bread of any kind. Bread is like solid beer. It will make my gut pooch out. And NO cereals of any kind. Same scenario. Most of the bread and cereals are just not good for us.
And even the whole wheat in the health food stores? Stay away from it.
It is over processed. Unless you are milling your own flour and baking your own bread you can't be sure what is really in anything from a store.

So NO flour of any kind and you guys know what that means.
I am eating, fish, protein, salads, vegetables, and some dairy high fat. Like butter and cream cheese. Haven't added sour cream yet, and I prob won't.

Every now and then I eat an apple. But apples dont' taste right to me since I started Armour or bananas. They taste MOLDY.

Also, since starting Armour I have very little appetite! You would think that would be good, but I am not losing very fast.

Anyway, this is my story so any comments would be helpful!
Bell
bellaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 12:55 AM   #129
Junior LCF Member

I'm new here.
Dx'd hypo Oct/Nov 2007. Started on Synthroid. Denied antibody testing til June '08- then tested off the charts after 5 months gluten/casein free (and also switched to NDT). Gained 80 lbs since this started. Losing weight in past has caused flares and a "rebound" weight gain quadruple that of the loss. Severe, debilitating pain which has prevented me from doing anything more than the very basics in child and house care.
I have been doing Atkins for just under 3 weeks, lost 10 lbs. I've found I need to be within 1000 calories of my expenditures in order to be pain free the next day as well as in order to see any weight loss. I can go for walks with my children without having to rest for an entire week after. I actually feel muscle soreness again- a sensation I haven't experienced in nearly 5 years (and which doctors couldn't give me a cause for). I am expecting that my T3 will be lower and T4 higher at my next lab test in a few weeks. That is fine by me as I've had consistent problems with T3 being too high and T4 being barely in range.
I am so grateful and hopeful to possibly have my life back.
Oh yes, and the rash on my lower legs/feet has also almost disappeared. I still had it even while gluten free previously, so I am not entirely convinced that is the cause (though I'm not sure I will test it). It was interesting to find others who had this as well.
lilmiss_understood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 11:22 AM   #130
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Lorregonzalez1
I'm new to this community, I've had hyperthyroid and now I have hypothyroid and like most of you I am tired, moody and seem to gain weight at the mere mention of food, I'm at my wits end, I am currently on Synthroid. I need help
Lorregonzalez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 10:20 AM   #131
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Lorregonzalez1
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazywoman-n-wy View Post
Thanks for that info Carolyn! That does help!
I have gotten to taking my meds in the early morning when I wake up to go potty. This way It is about 4 (or so) hours after I've eaten or drank anything the night before, and I'll have 4 hours (more or less) after I've taken them before I eat. I REALLY have a hard time waiting even 30 min after I get up before having my coffee. I had a nurse suggest my getting up at 5:30am, take it, then go back to bed. But that wasn't going to happen. Sometime I didn't wake up until a couple of hours before I actually got up, and I worried about the cream in my coffee. (I don't drink sweet coffee, but I sure LIKE my cream in it!!) Now I'm not so worried about that. And I'll put my Selenium in with my Thyroid meds now. Never knew about the Selenium till rainbow000 mentioned it. I had actually started taking it, but didn't know it was good for my Thyroid.
Again thanks!!!! And thank you rainbow000.

this is the first I hear of Selenium, this really makes you feel good overall? I'll have to ask my dr and do some research, any thoughts and feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Lorregonzalez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 06:06 PM   #132
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: DebbyL
Stats: 168/130/128
WOE: Maintenance
Start Date: WtLoss->Sept11-Oct12->Maint.

Thank you!
I have an appointment to see a Naturopath on Thursdsay, and was hoping she would be able to treat Hypothyroid... (I'm in Canada)... so this post has given me hope! I went to a dr & he only tested the TSH levels. Meanwhile I discovered supplements, Virgin Coconut Oil, and gluten-free diet... the small amount of synthroid I was on kept being reduced as I added these things, so the Dr. took me off of it. I'm on the waiting period between tests, to see what happened, but want to see if the Naturopath can help me even more.
I don't eat any salt, so the Dr suggested I add some (can't stand it), or kelp drops to get the iodine I'm probably needing. I have & am feeling even better, but would like a professional to over-see it, as iodine can be devastating if too much is taken. I also was hoping she would be able to help me with the last 9 lbs...
Thanks again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow000 View Post
Greengreeny,

I prefer a Naturopath to manage my thyroid med/levels over an MD or Endo. If you weren’t on thyroid you would’ve gained a lot more weight. It’s not the medicine; it’s probably the fact that you still may not be in balance.

T4 is a hormone your thyroid produces. It then converts T4 to T3, in order for your cells to use it. T3 is the only hormone found in every single cell of your entire body. It’s the only hormone that holds the master key to all your cells, if you will. That’s why when thyroid levels are out of whack it affects your entire body from your circulatory system, brain/mind, endocrine, all hormones, etc.; basically from your head to your toes and everything in between.

When you take a medication like synthroid or levothyroxine you are taking synthetic T4 (man made). The only issue with this is your body actually has to be converting it to T3 to use. You need to first have your Dr (or go to a Naturopath) pull labs to show that your medication is converting to T3. The most important labs are your TSH level, Free T3, and Free T4. If you have not had your thyroid antibodies checked then you would need that too, in order to rule out the cause of your thyroid disorder being autoimmune, which is different then just having a slow/hypo thyroid. You should have zero antibodies; if you have any then you most likely have an autoimmune disorder going on, which requires a different protocol initially but eventually you would end up on medication.

To be symptom free patients typically have their TSH suppressed to very low levels, and the Free T3 and Free T4 in the upper two thirds of each of their respective ranges. TSH should NEVER, EVER be the only lab looked at, as it does not in any way tell the whole story. TSH can sometimes show your thyroid isn’t functioning properly, which is good….BUT….sometimes the TSH level is fine and all the other numbers behind the scene are too high.

If your body is not sufficiently converting T4 to T3 then you always have the option of taking a T4/T3 compound. Or you can keep taking your T4 pill (Levothyroxine) and add a T3….however, most Dr’s are weary of T3 due to it’s fast/instant acting properties. That’s another reason a Naturopath is better suited to deal with this. In general, they will take the labs into consideration but if you are still symptomatic they will up an switch your doses around….trying compound, desiccated, etc. In my experience they are more open-minded and normally have a way better grasp on thyroid levels.

Old 07-26-2012, 01:49 PM   #133
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: waywardsister
Wish I could answer this 'how we lose weight' question, but I no longer have any clue. Gained 10 lbs in a month with no change in diet/activity (eating low carb paleo style). Had lost weight previously low carbing, but took 2 years to shed 25lbs (and still had about 10 to go) though I maintained that til my thyroid, and who knows what else, went wonky last spring and then again this spring. FT3 very low, all other levels are 'in range' (if that is even meaningful), low antibodies but since I am celiac I suspect Hashi's may have been an issue for a while without be knowing it.

I know some ppl swear by low carb, but it stopped helping me. I don't have any blood sugar/insulin etc issues, however. Eating some rice and tubers has helped my energy levels somewhat, hasn't led to any gain (or loss!) - I'm in stasis, weight-wise, like my set point shot up 10lbs.

Debby you mention you're in Canada - me too. I'm seeing an ND in Toronto who has been conservative so far, but may get me desiccated thyroid at my next visit if things don't improve. Where are you? Would love to share resources.
waywardsister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 02:03 PM   #134
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by waywardsister View Post
Wish I could answer this 'how we lose weight' question, but I no longer have any clue. Gained 10 lbs in a month with no change in diet/activity (eating low carb paleo style). Had lost weight previously low carbing, but took 2 years to shed 25lbs (and still had about 10 to go) though I maintained that til my thyroid, and who knows what else, went wonky last spring and then again this spring. FT3 very low, all other levels are 'in range' (if that is even meaningful), low antibodies but since I am celiac I suspect Hashi's may have been an issue for a while without be knowing it.

I know some ppl swear by low carb, but it stopped helping me. I don't have any blood sugar/insulin etc issues, however. Eating some rice and tubers has helped my energy levels somewhat, hasn't led to any gain (or loss!) - I'm in stasis, weight-wise, like my set point shot up 10lbs.

Debby you mention you're in Canada - me too. I'm seeing an ND in Toronto who has been conservative so far, but may get me desiccated thyroid at my next visit if things don't improve. Where are you? Would love to share resources.
Hi Sister!
I'm in BC. and a lot has transpired for me since my last post in this thread. In fact... this thread seems to be dead, except for you & I.
The ND put me on desiccated adrenal & licorice root to heal my adrenals, which were tanked... she also changed my diet somewhat... taking away more foods from my already very restrictive diet.
However!!! I am feeling worse now. I had to get on desiccated thyroid, a very low dose, and yesterday I discovered that for the first time in my life, I have high blood pressure! It was low when I went to see her. So, I'm stopping the adrenal treatment. (the d. adrenal does cause high blood pressure as a side effect, in some individuals) and (the licorice root caused a crazy water retention that just won't go away). I'm also going to stop taking iodine...
We are leaving on a road-trip (motorcycle) for 2.5 wks. so can't really do anything else.
I'm thinking on going on Paelo style while on the road, as I think it would be easier then staying on my restricted diet.
Hope you are able to get results from your ND. I've done a saliva test too, which will pinpoint which part of my adrenals is causing the problems.
Nice sharing with you!
DebbyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 06:37 PM   #135
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: christie5683
Stats: 185/176/145
WOE: Atkins/ LC
Start Date: July 13, 2012
I have been on thyroid meds for over 20 yrs and this last lab was awful....everything was mucked up. from cholesterol to tsh to wbc (low). Had changed my diet for hubby (on low carb, high fiber, multi-grain) causing me bloating, constipation (I looked 9 months pregnant all the time!), stress, chest pain, high b/p, wacked out labs, and just feeling lousy. Changed my diet, realized I was taking meds AND vitamins at the wrong time (negating my thyroid meds) . My goodness; I can't beleive I survived the past 1 1/2 yrs!!! Dr increased levothyroxine last month and I went back on Atkins 2 weeks ago...what a difference! Only, I think he was a bit hasty in increasing my thyroid med dosage. I go back next month post labs and to see where I'm at now. I sure will be glad when this issue is straightened out. I also have fibromyalgia and that adds to the stress; I don't handle it well these days
christie5683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 06:38 PM   #136
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: christie5683
Stats: 185/176/145
WOE: Atkins/ LC
Quote:
Originally Posted by christie5683 View Post
I have been on thyroid meds for over 20 yrs and this last lab was awful....everything was mucked up. from cholesterol to tsh to wbc (low). Had changed my diet for hubby (on low carb, high fiber, multi-grain) causing me bloating, constipation (I looked 9 months pregnant all the time!), stress, chest pain, high b/p, wacked out labs, and just feeling lousy. Changed my diet, realized I was taking meds AND vitamins at the wrong time (negating my thyroid meds) . My goodness; I can't beleive I survived the past 1 1/2 yrs!!! Dr increased levothyroxine last month and I went back on Atkins 2 weeks ago...what a difference! Only, I think he was a bit hasty in increasing my thyroid med dosage. I go back next month post labs and to see where I'm at now. I sure will be glad when this issue is straightened out. I also have fibromyalgia and that adds to the stress; I don't handle it well these days
OH!!! I forgot...I went from 200mcg to 300 mcg levothyroxine last month. There is no in-be-tween dosage.
christie5683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 05:51 AM   #137
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Tselani
Stats: 197.5/190.5/125; Ht. 5'2"-Wk 5
WOE: Medi Weight Loss
Hello! I'm new here....diagnosed with Hashimoto's in the summer of 2009...currently on 100 mcg synthroid, 10 mcg of lyothyronine (generic cytomel). I recently started MediWeight Loss and my labs there indicated a TSH level of 0.3, so I cut back the lyothyronine to 5 mcg per day until I go back to my endo in a couple of weeks. I quit smoking in 2007, gained 30 lbs. in 30 days (and was already 40 lbs. overweight). I'm now beginning the slow weight loss journey--hopefully, back to a normal weight range.

I've been on a couple of weight loss programs; In 2009 it took me 10 months to lose 16 lbs on Weight Watchers -- and I walked 4 miles a day, 7 days a week religiously. That's 1.6 lbs. per MONTH. I tried Atkins for 6 weeks, lost only 3 lbs. at induction, and just was not ready to commit to it (though I felt better on it). Last year I tried Medifast and lost 15 lbs. in 2 months -- but I was hungry a lot and I thought that was the nastiest tasting stuff I'd ever tasted. So, after gaining 20 lbs. in 2 years since my class reunion in 2010--and hitting 200 lbs. on my 5'2" frame, I've started MediWeight Loss because I have friends at work close to my age who have achieved success with it. (Have I also mentioned I'm post-menopausal? I was completely through menopause at 43).

I feel fine (now) with my meds; I started the T3 in January of this year because I was CONSTANTLY cold; In the winter I was walking around my house with long johns on under my clothes, gloves on my hands, and those thick ski socks on my feet--with our thermostat set between 70-71 degrees...my endo tested me and said I might benefit from the T3. I must say, the T3 helped TREMENDOUSLY. While I still got cold some in the house, I didn't have to wear all the extra clothing. And, the combo of the 2 meds has helped my mental frame of mind A LOT.

I'm hoping to lose all my weight by Aug. 13, 2013 (my 60th birthday). I stopped going to the gym in January, because the heater in my car stopped working....and it's darned cold here at 5:30 a.m. Thanks to a new car this spring, and a new attitude about trying to get this weight off, I'm back at the gym every morning when it opens. I do both weights and cardio and hope to try new things later on down the road.

I'm glad I found this thread....
Tselani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 06:35 AM   #138
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: qbert
I believe the thyroid can screw up everything else but what is the solution? Just taking the thyroid meds alone isn't solving my problem. An endo told me her patients that go on thyroid meds do not lose weight. Something else is preventing weight loss but no one seems to know what it is.
qbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 08:00 PM   #139
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: poigle
Stats: 240/150
WOE: Moderate carbs
Hi everyone - just a quick note to anyone dealing with hives / Hashimoto's. Hives are common with Hashi's, but there may be another reason for them - a systemic nickel allergy. I've been dealing with ongoing hives, blistering rashes on fingers, face and back since I was 12. I just turned 40 this year and FINALLY had a dermatologist successfully diagnose this.

Nickel is obviously common in jewelry (necklaces, earrings) but it's also high in many foods that are considered healthy. Whole wheat and grains, oatmeal, lettuce, canned tomatoes, beans, peas, lentils - all canned foods. Oh - and cocoa - so no chocolate.

As soon as I cut these foods out of my daily diet, the rash has gone away. Entirely. This is a rash that I haven't been able to control with creams, antibiotics, nothing. Every few days, I test a food to see how I react, and I usually blister within 12 hours. My long-standing digestive issues are clearing up a bit too, so I'm hopeful that with time, I will be healed from this long-term allergy.

Nickel allergy can also mess with the thyroid, as it causes an autoimmune reaction, so there's that piece, too. Just my experience, and worth checking out if you're having skin issues that don't make sense. It's not as well known or documented, and often doctors will just recommend wearing only gold jewelry and not recommend a diet change, but my doc did recommend the low-nickel diet and I'm glad he did. Hoping that with lower inflammation, my weight problem might become less of one!
poigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 06:09 PM   #140
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: applerose
Thank you for all of this...just amazing. I am going in for a blood test this week. I take thyroid meds for a hypo thyroid, no blood work in around three years so it has to be checked. For the first time I can't seem to lose and major stall. I have been reading for weeks and weeks trying to learn all about lab tests (rt3, etc) My doctor refuses to do any other thyroid lab tests but the norm. She had the nurse call me to say if I want more detailed reports I need to see a specialist. Well my insurance doesn't work that way. Anyway, I am going to look for a menu of eating from others who are successful with the same condition, what works, what does not. I know all about the artificial sweeteners, nitrates, hidden carbs, etc. Believe me, in finding hidden carbs...I am the expert. haha : )) I have even tried adding fats to help things out...like butter to fried eggs. Now I am being told to eat only 1000 calories a day...I have forty pounds to lose and age 52 female. it has been nine weeks of no sugar or carbs except for the appropriate veggies for low carb and meats, eggs, and cheeses. I welcome any ideas as so many are telling me low carb is not the the lifestyle for me or I would have lost weight in the last 9 weeks. My bra (sorry guys) has moved to the last notch...and btw...I do lift weights and do cardio 4 to 5 x a week and have for years. Thanks in advance you wonderful and dear people. Blessings to all. : ))
applerose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 02:30 AM   #141
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: watcher513
applerose, If you're in the U.S. you can usually get your own labs done. One place is healthcheckusa online. Their Thyroid Panel II (TSH, Free T4 Free T3) runs just under $80 with code 12345 at check out. Sign up and pay online. Print out the order when it's ok'd and go to a lab near you. They email the results back within 3-5 days and you also get one mailed a little later.
watcher513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 05:19 AM   #142
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: betty301
I can't lose weight.

It seems I've done it all over the past 10 months aside from going back on low fat/low cals/low carbs. Thinking, oh joy I'm on thyroid hormones, the weight should just fall off now. WRONG!!!

I'm irritated, fed up, annoyed, mad, all of it. It can't be this hard..it can't!!
betty301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 05:46 AM   #143
Senior LCF Member

FWIW, I've been 'lo carb,' for as long as I can remember.

As high as 50-100 to induction levels. I'm GF, I barely eat dairy(accept 2 tbsps of half n half in my coffee)
I train with weights. I've tried walking up to 2 hours a day but got bored..maybe that was the ticket?
I've tracked my food and I've gone through periods of NOT tracking my food.
I eat mostly 'primal.' I don't eat 'junk,' GF foods.
meats, veggies, healthy fats. On occasion I'll have fruit or a treat out with my family.

This is just how I live. So how do adjust this in order to lose the pounds??
Old 09-11-2012, 09:28 PM   #144
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by betty301 View Post
FWIW, I've been 'lo carb,' for as long as I can remember.

As high as 50-100 to induction levels. I'm GF, I barely eat dairy(accept 2 tbsps of half n half in my coffee)
I train with weights. I've tried walking up to 2 hours a day but got bored..maybe that was the ticket?
I've tracked my food and I've gone through periods of NOT tracking my food.
I eat mostly 'primal.' I don't eat 'junk,' GF foods.
meats, veggies, healthy fats. On occasion I'll have fruit or a treat out with my family.

This is just how I live. So how do adjust this in order to lose the pounds??
Hi Betty,

Sorry I didn't see your post. I've been able to lose the wt. while getting my thyroid & adrenals under control. It sounds like you're doing everything right...

I eat low carb/high protein/plus virgin coconut oil. Gluten-free, Dairy-free, low salt, natural foods only, nothing with chemicals, drink lots of water.

But one thing I do, is I rotate my calories, to avoid going into starvation mode. I learned that from a body-building diet, which fixed my broken metabolism a few years back.

So, I'm 5'4" tall, 59 yrs old, not all that active (secretary) but I do exercise 40 minutes a day. My calories are: 1500; 1400; 1300; 1200 in rotation. The weird thing is, that I almost always have my wt. loss after the day I eat the most.

I've shared this with friends on another board (thyroid support/wt loss), and they are actually losing wt. for the first time. It comes off like .5 lbs a week, but it comes off. I'm 1.25 lbs away from my goal & will probably go for 3-5 more after that, we'll see.

Hope this helps!
Blessings,
Debby
Old 09-12-2012, 05:16 AM   #145
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: mirtilla
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbyL View Post
Hi Betty,

Sorry I didn't see your post. I've been able to lose the wt. while getting my thyroid & adrenals under control. It sounds like you're doing everything right...

I eat low carb/high protein/plus virgin coconut oil. Gluten-free, Dairy-free, low salt, natural foods only, nothing with chemicals, drink lots of water.

But one thing I do, is I rotate my calories, to avoid going into starvation mode. I learned that from a body-building diet, which fixed my broken metabolism a few years back.

So, I'm 5'4" tall, 59 yrs old, not all that active (secretary) but I do exercise 40 minutes a day. My calories are: 1500; 1400; 1300; 1200 in rotation. The weird thing is, that I almost always have my wt. loss after the day I eat the most.

I've shared this with friends on another board (thyroid support/wt loss), and they are actually losing wt. for the first time. It comes off like .5 lbs a week, but it comes off. I'm 1.25 lbs away from my goal & will probably go for 3-5 more after that, we'll see.

Hope this helps!
Blessings,
Debby

Hi, sorry for my English!! this sounds like JUDDD diet ( the board is here on the forum)....I'm 45, fighting with Hashi since many years and now with JUDDD and very less exercise than usual ( for adrenal fatigue) I'm losing a lot,even if I', a sloow looser....I'm so happy!!I alternate a 500 cals with a 1800 cals day (trying to stay moderate carbs) and it's easier than staying all life at diet!!

hi from Italy
mirtilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 06:51 AM   #146
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi Mirtilla,
Good for you! Nice to meet you.
Blessings,
Debby
Old 09-13-2012, 03:56 AM   #147
Senior LCF Member

yep, I've done that too.

I think most of my problem has been trying to do too much while not being optimized and further delaying the process.

I'm thankful to at least be maintaining somehow. I think in a few months I will hire a coach to do the thinking for me and let him/her deal with my crazy non-wanting- to- lose body, hehe.
Old 09-22-2012, 03:40 PM   #148
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lavender
Stats: 155 lbs/125 lbs/125 lbs (5'8") Age: 46
WOE: Very Low Carb (30-40 net carb grams/day)
Start Date: March 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by poigle View Post
Hi everyone - just a quick note to anyone dealing with hives / Hashimoto's. Hives are common with Hashi's, but there may be another reason for them - a systemic nickel allergy. I've been dealing with ongoing hives, blistering rashes on fingers, face and back since I was 12. I just turned 40 this year and FINALLY had a dermatologist successfully diagnose this.

Nickel is obviously common in jewelry (necklaces, earrings) but it's also high in many foods that are considered healthy. Whole wheat and grains, oatmeal, lettuce, canned tomatoes, beans, peas, lentils - all canned foods. Oh - and cocoa - so no chocolate.

As soon as I cut these foods out of my daily diet, the rash has gone away. Entirely. This is a rash that I haven't been able to control with creams, antibiotics, nothing. Every few days, I test a food to see how I react, and I usually blister within 12 hours. My long-standing digestive issues are clearing up a bit too, so I'm hopeful that with time, I will be healed from this long-term allergy.

Nickel allergy can also mess with the thyroid, as it causes an autoimmune reaction, so there's that piece, too. Just my experience, and worth checking out if you're having skin issues that don't make sense. It's not as well known or documented, and often doctors will just recommend wearing only gold jewelry and not recommend a diet change, but my doc did recommend the low-nickel diet and I'm glad he did. Hoping that with lower inflammation, my weight problem might become less of one!

Wow, thank you so much for this, poigle! Not really having a problem with weight, up just a couple of lbs in perimenopause, but did develop a pretty severe nickel allergy recently. No idea this could be related to thyroid issues. I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism about a year ago. At the time, antibodies were low enough to be considered negative, but new MD is checking them again with my next round of labs. T3 and T4 remain low despite Armour and Cytomel supplementation. Playing around with my carb intake (as high as 100 grams/day vs. low as 30 grams/day) doesn't seem to make a difference lab-wise, but I feel best a little under 50 grams.

Getting optimized on thyroid meds is a delicate balance and one I hope we're all able to achieve soon!
Lavender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 03:19 PM   #149
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nspeedracer
Stats: 149/137.4/115 5'3''0
MY friend gained 50 pounds on Levo, she couldn't lose on low carb until she switched to dessicated thyroid. Two other close ppl I know had the same experience. Don't ask to explain, just google it.
Best wishes
nspeedracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 05:18 AM   #150
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: brandywine12
Stats: 195/160-155
WOE: Atkins 100%
Start Date: 1-4-11
dosage lowered. normal frees .. too low tsh occ to dr.

Hello!
I recently switched drs . My new dr a few months ago said she would go on how I feel for my meds. I told her I felt good and didn't want my meds reduced because of it, her reply was I don't like to keep any one on the same dose for too long.(what?). recently she had me get my labs done, nurse called to tell me that I need to be reduced because tsh is too low. I feel fine. no-hyper symptoms at all my levels were at a little below mid range , but felt fine with that. Well they lowered me again and now I am freaking out over this!
I was down that road before and didn't want to go there again.I have lost 30-35 lbs and I am scared I will gain it all back and then some.

it has been only two weeks since the change in dose..My labs were in sept 2012 ,tsh.01(0.35-4.94) ft4 1.57(0.7-2.19) ft3 3.04(2.77-5.27) on .112mcg's
2010 , tsh 0.068(0.35-4.94) ft4 1.89 (,07-2.19) ft3 3.42(2.77-5.27) on .125 mcgs was reduced back then to the .112's(synthroid).
my question is ...if I stay low carb will the weight pile back on that I had lost ?
two years in between reductions.I was fine with the lowered .112s' but now the .1 mcgs is gonna kill me.My old dr wouldn't do the frt3 any more after the first test was done in 2010. the new dr did the test in 2012.she lowerd me because of my low tsh, what does one that low cause if any thing?
I have been maintaining my weight for almost 2 years now
brandywine12 is offline   Reply With Quote