Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Thyroid
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2011, 11:07 AM   #91
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: dianafoot
I just stumbled on this forum and almost wept reading the stories here. I too gained 60 pounds very suddenly at age 42 not having changed diet or exercise habits at all -- was finally diagnosed with hypothyroidism (after first skinny little male doctor told me that I must be licking the peanut butter knife one too many times--he's lucky he still has all of his teeth!)

I am now 64 and have struggled with the weight ever since, going from Weight Watchers to being completely vegan, to Adkins, to simply keeping the carbs very low. I have been exercising daily for my entire life. I have a great endo now and she tracks my thyroid and blood sugar very closely. I have lost 45 pounds, have 35 to go. It's slow, but keeping the blood sugar low has been as helpful as keeping the thyroid levels steady. One time last year, my tsh crept back up and I gained 10 pounds and felt like I couldn't move. Once my endo got that corrected, I lost that weight and felt great again. It's a long road, but I am hopeful. And I am very grateful for these forums!
dianafoot is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-2011, 12:26 PM   #92
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nspeedracer
Stats: 149/137.4/115 5'3''0
So wait... being too low in carbs worsens thyroid function which makes it hard to lose weight... is that why i cant lose more than just the first couple pounds of water weight on low carb? Im so frusterated with this whole not being able to lose weight thing...
nspeedracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 06:07 AM   #93
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: betty301
what about incorporating refeeds? Or mini carb ups?

Thats what I do and seems to let the body know it's ok and resets hormones, etc..

Or just carb timing. Eating carbs before/after training only.

Both options work well.
betty301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 08:53 AM   #94
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Please don't believe a lot of the 'myths' surrounding thyroid issues. I lost almost 200 lbs on very low carb--and I'm hypothyroid. I lost the first 60 lbs when I was hypo but could not get a diagnosis!

The issue isn't carbs so much as calories. When you're hypo, your metabolism slows, even with meds, so you need to eat less than you're used to doing.

There is a belief that low carb inhibits the conversion of T4 to T3, but I did not experience that at all. My endo told me that if you have Hashi's (as I do), and some point in the disease, that conversion will become a problem, but it's the disease, not the lack of carbs that causes it.

I think that often people assume causation when there's only correlation--i.e., I eat low carb and have low T3--therefore low carb causes low T3--NOT.
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 05:04 PM   #95
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: confoundit
Advice gladly taken....

I just stumbled on this forum while googling....HCG diet and thyroid problems. What I have found is a treasure trove and carbon copy of my life story. Here's my tale. I would LOVE some advice about getting proper medication and any literature I could bring to my doctor and endocrinologist. I am in Canada if that makes a difference....

I have been gaining large amounts of weight since I was 18 years old. They tested me over and over for TSH and it came back fine every time. I was told to eat less and move more. I gained and settled at 310 lb at the ripe age of 22. I was completely normal weight and active up until I hit this wall at 18 (about 150 lbs...volleyball/soccer star). I went to Weight Watchers and walked like a nutcase and some weight came off. It stopped at about 250 lbs. I couldn't work out hard enough or eat little enough to make that number budge from there. I got married and then pregnant with my first child, gaining 28 lbs during pregnancy. Had gorgeous baby girl and weight started melting off me. One year later got pregnant with second child at 220 lbs. This pregnancy I couldn't keep my eyes open. Slept the whole 9 months and gained 58 lbs. Had another gorgeous baby girl and weight started packing on like never before.

At 3 months post partum I was 310 lbs again. I was a crying, blubbering mess and was told this is normal for a mother of two young babies. At 1 year post partum I started getting hives all over my body every day for no reason and was still 310 lbs. The hives were insane. I didn't know what they ever were until I went to my doctor to show them this rash. He gave me allergy medicine and told me to take that. I begged him to test my thyroid again. My cycles had been normal my whole life and now they were every 20 days and very heavy. My TSH came back normal again. I finally grew some balls and switched family doctors. My new doctor immediately tested my free T4 and T3 and thyroid antibodies. My TPO antibodies came back at 366 and he referred me to an endocrinologist.

Fast forward 5 years and now 34 years old, they will only prescribe 50 mg of Synthroid to me and I continue to get hives and my antibodies are still high. I am still 310 lbs. I briefly made it to 240 lbs by working out at a gym 6 days a week and eating very low calories and then Paleo style. I did that for 8 months and then fractured a bone in my foot running on the treadmill and tore the ligaments in the other ankle. It's never been the same since and I can't work out like that at all anymore.

I recently tried the homeopathic HCG drops. After 5 days, my heart rate started racing and my potassium and sodium were dangerously low. I fainted twice trying to make it to emergency. The "drops" I was taking were hormone free HCG. But marketed as real HCG. The ER said I was very very lucky this time......

Any help from anyone would be great. nonstickPam seems to have amazing knowledge and if you have a few spare moments I'd love your advice. Also there was another woman who posted that she gets hives from an inflammation attack from allergies or exposure to mold? During my two pregnancies we lived in a "leaky condo" that was being renovated and there was a lot of mold but it was all outside.

Thank you to everyone for posting here. It is exciting to me to read all your stories and I have renewed hope that I will be slim again.....
confoundit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 03:57 PM   #96
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: watcher513
Are you allergic to corn by any chance? I found this out on the net re Synthroid:

"Inactive Ingredients: acacia, confectioner's sugar (contains corn starch), lactose monohydrate, magnesium stearate, povidone, and talc.

What are the possible side effects of levothyroxine (Levothroid, Levoxyl, Synthroid, Unithroid)?

Stop using levothyroxine and get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.

Call your doctor at once if you have any of these serious side effects:

headache;
sleep problems (insomnia);
nervous or irritable feeling;
fever, hot flashes, sweating;
changes in your menstrual periods;"

Last edited by watcher513; 10-19-2011 at 03:59 PM..
watcher513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 04:04 PM   #97
Junior LCF Member

hi.

I don't have a corn allergy that I know of. I was getting the hives before I started synthroid. My endocrinologist said that some people with Hashimoto's get hives. Mine were diagnosed as Chronic Idiopathic Urticaria. I had scratch testing done for every thing and my whole body was one large welt after that. The allergist said same thing. Chronic Idiopathic Urticaria.
Old 10-19-2011, 04:15 PM   #98
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: inatic
Stats: 182+/126 5'4 51!yo 16/4 *5* kidlets later!
WOE: Coach:Erik Ledin leanbodies consulting
Start Date: LowER C since 2/02 wt training 10/15/02
Confoundit, you need yet another dr!
Do a search on the forum/thyroid board and see if any recommendation come up.

Leo, dieting, no matter what kind, reduces the conversion of T4 to t3. Hense why atkins put his patients on..........thyroid meds
inatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 04:21 PM   #99
Junior LCF Member

dr's

Being that I live in small town Canada, I am limited to the two endocrinologists here. My family doctor is pretty good for listening to me if I have papers or info to present him.
Old 10-19-2011, 04:32 PM   #100
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Sorry to hear that, it must not have been fun going through those tests with all the reactions you had. I thought there may be a corn allergy with the hives reaction.

Do you have any recent lab results with ranges that you could post? If not, you should ask for a copy whenever you have labs run and keep them in a file or notebook. When I first read the original post when it was posted, I thought it was great! So many thoughts and ideas to ponder. I believe I've seen the avitar on another LCer site but not often. It's difficult enough being hypo and lose weight, and being on the correct meds/hormone replacement just evens the playing field for us to be able to lose. We still have to work at it though.
Old 10-19-2011, 04:34 PM   #101
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

What part of Canada? We used to have some people posting from Canada (maile?) and had some suggestions for doctors.
Old 10-19-2011, 05:03 PM   #102
Junior LCF Member

canada

vancouver island, BC canada
Old 10-19-2011, 05:12 PM   #103
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good! Put a post in the other thyroid section (not this particular one) and ask about doctors in that area or do a search. I 'think' Maile was from that area and had some references. Although I haven't seen her in a long time and it may have been for Vancouver, close enough though!

Last edited by watcher513; 10-19-2011 at 05:15 PM..
Old 10-19-2011, 05:13 PM   #104

do a search, that area has success.. its the toronto area, not so much
Old 10-19-2011, 05:36 PM   #105
Junior LCF Member

thanks.

Thanks!

Yes I searched and there are some in Vancouver that are good for thyroid. But it's not a problem of getting a prescription for me. I just don't know if, from my labs, I would benefit from dessicated Thyroid or not? I haven't had labs done in about a year.

I work in health care and I've come across patients who take armour (thyroid in canada) and they have been prescribed by a doctor in town. So I am hopeful that with the right info I can have my doctor prescribe it for me.

But what would your labs look like if you were not converting T4 to T3 very well.

I will post some past numbers for me. If you have comments I'd really appreciate it.
  • MONTH/TPO/TSH/Free T4/T3/Meds (synthroid ug)
  • Oct-07/-/3.43/-/-/0
  • May-08/-/2.35/-/-/ -/0
  • Nov-08/-/2.34/-/-/0
  • May-09/178/1.93/-/-/0
  • Jun-09/-/3.5/10/4/0
  • Sep-09/153/0.2/16/4.2/100
  • Jan-10/-/0.27/12/-/100
  • Jun-10/ -/2.02/12/-/100
  • Jul-10/-/0.43/16/-/150
  • Oct-10/-/4.43/10/-/50

Last edited by confoundit; 10-19-2011 at 05:47 PM..
Old 10-20-2011, 01:26 AM   #106
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

It would be easier if it was posted like this example to show the lab range (xx-xx) to the right of each test. Really can't tell anything without the lab range by each. There are tons labs around and many of them use different ranges:

.....Test............(Range)

FT3 .....2.7 .....(2.0 - 4.4)
FT4......0.86....(0.82 - 1.77)
TSH.....3.080...(0.450 - 4.500)

The last 2 results are fine, not all need to be posted because of the age of them. There's nothing recent. We know you have Hashi's from the results (unless your ranges are completely different). I've only had TPO's run 3 times since 1998. I think they just check them once in awhile since we found out about it, to see where they are at the time.

That's neat that you work in health care. In what capacity?
Old 10-20-2011, 02:07 AM   #107
Senior LCF member

When I was not converting T4 to T3 well (about 5 years after my initial diagnosis), the symptoms were quite dramatic.

I was so tired that I could barely get through the day and needed a 2-3hr. nap every afternoon (slept deeply). I had been steadily losing weight at about a pound a week, but now eating exactly the same way, I gained 10 lbs in 2 weeks! I was frantic, but didn't think it was my thyroid because I was medicated and being checked every 4 months.

Fortunately, my regular check up was due, and the lab report showed that my T3 had dropped from 3/4 of the lab range to 'off the chart'--below the lab range.

Cytomel was a miracle, and I felt great within 48 hours of my first dose. Unfortunately, those 10 lbs didn't disappear with the fatigue. I had to lose them the same slow way.
Old 10-20-2011, 06:10 AM   #108
Senior LCF Member

still waiting for this magic thing that is called cytomel.

Leo- how did you convince your Dr that conversion was the problem??

sorry off topic, but it's something I'm struggling with right now.
Old 10-20-2011, 08:55 AM   #109
Senior LCF member

Betty-
I didn't have to convince my endo--he told me that conversion was the problem!

When the lab report came back with my sudden drop in T3, he told me that I was not converting properly, and we'd have to add Cytomel. I had read here that my low carb, low calorie eating would cause this, and I asked him about that.

He assured me that was NOT true (and it makes sense because I was eating that way for months and months with no T3 problems). He said that it's characteristic of Hashimoto's for conversion problems to occur at some point in the disease, but it's impossible to tell when it will happen.

I've had no problems since I now take Cytomel (T3) in addition to my Levoxyl (T4).
Old 10-21-2011, 04:35 AM   #110
Senior LCF Member

wow, thats great that your Doc is so knowledgeable!

I feel that's the missing link for me to feeling better.
Old 12-09-2011, 02:36 PM   #111
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Katryn
Stats: ~130/126/114
WOE: Mod carbs, Ray Peat, gluten free, nightshade free
Start Date: January 1995
today

Guess I'll just respond to the original post by Pam and post my food so far today. This could help me and you. Also, Day 5 of temps shows a slight upturn since I started to chew my Armour and space it out.

S: Green tea with morning exercise routine. 1 1/2 Armour
B: 2 egg omelette with 1 tbsp gelatin and milk and bit of goat cheese and tumeric and marjoram, tiny beef patty pieces, 2 sl bacon, chunk of cantaloupe, few green beans, tea with milk, oj and vit C added to H20. Sups... and 1 Armour.

S: 1/2 banana, slice salty cheese.

L: Leftover steak, 1/2 banana, chunk of cantaloupe, sliced apple with cheese. 1 Armo.

I have been eating this same breakie for the past 3 days and have not had my usual hypoglycemia. Very glad about that. I intend to stay with this breakfast. It's written down cuz my memory requires notes!

I just re-read the original post by Pam for the third time this week. Thanks Pam! Best, Birdie (Katryn)
Katryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 03:01 PM   #112
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: stardustshadow
Stats: 248.6/163/150
WOE: VLC/IF
Start Date: July 5th 2010 (Atkins)
Hey everyone,

I have some questions for the thyroid experts.

I have suspected for some time that I may have an underactive thyroid.

Here is my history. I have never been thin. The smallest I was as a teenager was 215 pounds, achieved while starving myself. I kept gaining no matter what I did through my 20s. In my early 30s, after eating a reduced cal diet and training myself to run 5-10 ks several times a week, I was diagnosed with diabetes. This was a horrible shock. For the record, my mom is a diabetic and her father was too. I am also part native american. Yay genetics.

Anyhow, I did some research and discovered low carb. I started eating LC and, 1.5 years later, have dropped 75 pounds. Wonderful! But I'm not finished losing weight. I have been stalled for about 6 months, and no matter what I do, nothing helps.

My mom has a low functioning thyroid, by the way.

Here are my 'symptoms' that have made me suspect thyroid problems:

Inability to lose weight despite much effort!
Feeling cold all the time, especially cold in the hands/feet/extremities
Thin, brittle hair
Thin, brittle, cracking, peeling nails
Chronically dry skin
A history of irregular periods (including a few years back where I bled heavily for 6 months)

I get routine blood tests taken (diabetes, which is perfectly controlled, btw) and they test my 'metabolism' (aka TSH) every time. These tests always come back normal, so I keep getting brushed off whenever I ask about thyroid problems.

But, given the symptoms what do you think? What tests should I be demanding of my doctors, and what should I be looking for with the results?

Thanks!!
Old 12-13-2011, 10:49 AM   #113
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Katryn
Stats: ~130/126/114
WOE: Mod carbs, Ray Peat, gluten free, nightshade free
Start Date: January 1995
How to be losers

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonstickpam107 View Post
That's the question I get asked a lot. As I study nutrition and 'connect' the dots to hypothyroid disease...I wonder...why I lost weight even before I was replaced with hormone. And why some seem to not be able to lose at all.

I know hormones 'get in the way' and especially in women...as we are ever-changing with our hormone status. As I've asked over and over 'what do you eat?' I've compiled a resource of answers...of an embarrassingly large compilation...and I decided to cull out all the 'losers'. The patients, whether they have quite enough T4 or T3 or not, who lose, and maintain it. What are THEY doing???

So far, most of the people have lowered the carbs, stopped the incoming sugar, and anything white. Surprisingly, the majority are eating about 40 to 50 net grams carb a day (ages: 35 to 75). Hmmm. If you keep reading a lot on these boards as opposed to any other, we kind of get used to seeing people doing an 'induction type' eating all the way to the next 'upheaval cheat'. Maybe that's WHY we are pushed to cheat on lowcarb...cuz we keep it so low carb?? Maybe.

I see some success with those on WW too...but they don't look as small (muscle is compact...and those who get too low on fat...lose muscle in the process) as lowcarbers at a higher weight. Just my observation, please don't take offense.

I guess I should 'list' what seems to work or sentences I see over and over in answers to my question:

1. "I don't eat wheat, or flour, or sugar anymore. At all. Not even a taste on a fingertip.
2. "I don't 'overeat' at one sitting...and I'm less tempted to do so if i don't eat anything white.
3. "When I'm stressed and I want to eat anything and everything, I have a rule with myself...I say "Self, ya need to go and do something not centered around food for a half hour...and if you still feel you need to have something sweet/off plan than take another 15 minutes to figure out which lowcarb, no sugar, no flour horrible thing you're gonna eat!"
4. "i get on the scale, and I'm so hard core fattie that if I lose a pound, I want the instant reward of eating something off plan arghhhh!!" So...I make myself (or my DH, or DS or DD) hide the scale and I only bring it out once a week or so). I also plan ahead for the 'Wow, Im great...gimme chocolate cake' feeling of losing weight....I have a bowl of jello and whipped cream ready)"
5. "I pick out a box of tea I've never tried before and I 'sample' it until it's gone...everytime I have time to chill out, I drink a cup"
6. " I keep a list of what I eat from day to day...everyday, and I don't lie about what I eat. Every week, I go back through and look...and see if I can make improvements".
7. "I try and encourage myself when I have been SO good with food but haven't lost a thing. I really tell myself: "Myself, you haven't gained at ALL and you're eating healthy! You're not even hungry most the time...and that's wonderful. So...holding the line another week...not gaining...you RAWK!"

When I first started taking thyroid it didn't have a weightloss effect on me at all. It DID have a 'lessening the water weight/bloat' effect though. And I don't do things like 'meat fasts' and stuff. I actually kept my daily diet really kind of 'the same' for about the first six months of my weightloss (yes I was bored..but...I was losing and didn't want to get 'creative' and then move to 'back to square one, creatively'). And it made my joints hurt less, my hair was nice, shiny, my eyebrows grew back, and at the time, TOM was less 'evil' every month.

Back in the 'ol' days...docs would give thyroid as a weight loss tool. But then we found out it doesn't work that way unless you have 'too much'...and that leads to heart attacks and other nasty things. So...just like losing weight, getting optimized on thyroid hormone....is a slow process.

I think the biggest weightloss eye opener I had about hypothyroid women losing weight...is eating ENOUGH to lose weight. And not trying to base YOUR WOE on someone else's menu. And everyone asks 'what did you eat to lose?' I think it would be a good thing if we, the hypothyroid patient, made use of this wonderful board to discuss, and to bounce ideas off one another, and to list menu, ask about what might work better...and be asking this of OTHER people who are hypothyroid.

Clearly NON hypothyroid people sometimes don't 'get it' as to why we're so danged fatigued that just NOT eating something we want makes us depressed...and why we can't just 'do it and be happy'. LOL How many of us have said "I didn't lose anything" and the non hypo person says 'eat less'. That's not always the answer for us.

We can't MAKE someone post their menu, or be 'accountable' to us, but posting and being accountable to ourselves might spring from this. So many foods and other OTC meds/etc. can interfere with our weight loss progress too..perhaps some will 'catch' the offending med/food/interaction.

I know that my last 34 pounds was just slow coming off....and everyone would tell me 'Eat less! Only eat eggs! Only eat meat!'...well, that just backfired on me. It didn't work for me. And I had folks telling me 'do cardio....hours of cardio!' I can't...my lungs are cranky! So, I had someone tell me 'lifting weights can also help..and it's not strenuous unless you want it to be' (thanks Ileen and Cindy!). and that DID work! Who, when hypothyroid, not up to par yet wants to do cardio for hours? Minutes? Heck, seconds....ha ha...NO ONE!!!

I wish everyone the Merriest Holidays ever! Let's all help each other! I know some stuff about thyroid. And I'm betting that even the newbies (I had email from a former newbie today...and she's just gaining speed on her disease process and doing well!) can help the rest of us with menu, recipes, and all kinds of great ideas!

Pam
Well, here it is Christmastime again and this post is sooo appropriate! Sure helps me!
Katryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 02:56 AM   #114

Do some research :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardustshadow View Post
Hey everyone,

I have some questions for the thyroid experts.

I have suspected for some time that I may have an underactive thyroid.

Here is my history. I have never been thin. The smallest I was as a teenager was 215 pounds, achieved while starving myself. I kept gaining no matter what I did through my 20s. In my early 30s, after eating a reduced cal diet and training myself to run 5-10 ks several times a week, I was diagnosed with diabetes. This was a horrible shock. For the record, my mom is a diabetic and her father was too. I am also part native american. Yay genetics.

Anyhow, I did some research and discovered low carb. I started eating LC and, 1.5 years later, have dropped 75 pounds. Wonderful! But I'm not finished losing weight. I have been stalled for about 6 months, and no matter what I do, nothing helps.

My mom has a low functioning thyroid, by the way.

Here are my 'symptoms' that have made me suspect thyroid problems:

Inability to lose weight despite much effort!
Feeling cold all the time, especially cold in the hands/feet/extremities
Thin, brittle hair
Thin, brittle, cracking, peeling nails
Chronically dry skin
A history of irregular periods (including a few years back where I bled heavily for 6 months)

I get routine blood tests taken (diabetes, which is perfectly controlled, btw) and they test my 'metabolism' (aka TSH) every time. These tests always come back normal, so I keep getting brushed off whenever I ask about thyroid problems.

But, given the symptoms what do you think? What tests should I be demanding of my doctors, and what should I be looking for with the results?

Thanks!!
hun you need more than just tsh to test your thyroid.

Also,
this short video explains a lot Short Thyroid Physiology Video
and
test suggestions here: Thyroid Tests
Old 01-04-2012, 08:28 PM   #115
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: thyroidcrazy
Dr. V

Just checking in on this post from a long time ago to see how everyone is doing...I am about to call Dr. V for an appointment. This is the year I get a doctor to listen and get my thyroid functioning properly!
thyroidcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 10:04 PM   #116
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: lorlyn63
I found this site by accident when I was searching information about soy and hypothyroidism.
I have been hypothyroid for about 18 years now and when it was first discovered all I did the weekend before I had my doctor check me out was sleep - I only awoke for bathroom and to grab a quick bite to eat otherwise I slept the whole weekend away and when I got to work on Monday (I worked for the doctor I saw) I felt like I had not slept at all. The doctor thought it was just stress, but I credit the lab tech in his office for running a test for thyroid because that was what it ended up being. I was never told certain foods were not good, I was put on Synthroid and told that was all I needed and the meds would take care of it. I felt great and like my old self after staring on medication.
I have always been overweight - I was a chunky baby, kid, teen and graduated high school weighing in at 210. I did not let my size stop me from doing things I wanted to do though. I was high energy and could start out early in the morning and go until evening and still had energy to burn. Over the next few years I felt pressured to diet, prior to that I had not dieted. When I dieted I would lose 15 to 20 lbs and then once I would go off the restrictive diet or fad of the day I would gain back what I lost and then some. In the early 90's I decided to try eating only 900-1000 calories per day and I was walking 1-2 miles per day and I had still had a high level of energy to burn. I did end up losing 55 lbs and was back down to where I had been in high school. I could not stay on it though, it was bothering my stomach and so I went off of it and tried to maintain the walking, but the weight came back on and then some. I noticed as I neared my 40's I was starting to experience issues with my health and in 2001 I gained over 120 lbs and not from eating any differently, was still trying to exercise, but not walking the 1-2 miles per day. I tried to seek help with 2 endo docs, but they were not listening to me and both scolded me for not pushing my face away from the table sooner and one told me I would die if I did not change my eating habits. I was never one to over eat or binge eat or eat due to stress and nothing I said to these two doctor's was heard. They both had to up my dose of medication and after the second doctor increased my dose the weight gain stopped. I have pretty much maintained that weight since that time, but I have had very little success getting any of it off and I am very fearful of going on a diet of any kind because I do not want to gain anymore weight than I already am.
From 2005 to 2008 I had issues with a heavy menstrual cycle and it had gotten so I was bleeding all the time and not lightly, quite heavy with severe cramping, which I never experienced before. I kept telling my doctor that I think I needed to see an endo doctor again and she told me we had to get the menstrual issues cleared up first. I went online and discovered that my menstrual issues could definitely be caused from my thyroid. After seeing an OB/Gyn doctor who about let me bleed to death (had to have 4 units of blood to replace what I had lost and months of iron supplementation to increase my blood level back to where it should be) she kept telling me it was due to my weight. She knew I was hypothyroid, but no one made the connection. So after a D&C/hysterscopy and a lot of raking me over the coals for my size, I presented the article to my family physician who also believed the OB/Gyn and she reluctantly sent me to an endo doctor I had heard was good. It took another 3 months before I could get into see him (I had my menses for the whole year in 2008). He read my information, took blood work, asked a lot of questions, and found me to need more levothyroxine, I was diabetic, I was then told I had Hashimoto's disease, that I was insulin resistant, I had a metabolic imbalance, and he felt I had polycystic ovary syndrome. He believes the thyroid is what caused me to gain the 120 lbs, my menstrual cycle to be out of whack (when my thyroid medicine was increased my menses stopped), and the other issues could also have caused me to gain weight. Now I am supposed to get it off and I feel powerless to do so. I have tried eating low carbs and was getting low blood sugars and that was miserable, although I did lose 18 lbs. I have tried low calorie, low fat, and so many other diets and I just have no idea what one to choose that is going to make me start to feel better. I felt better on low carbs, but I was not liking the low blood sugar readings and that was at 45 carbs per day. I long to lose this excess weight and feel like a new person. My doctor is not the same one I had when I was having the menstrual issues, I changed doctor's, but this one I feel just doesn't understand me and what I am dealing with either - she has been pressuring me to lose weight, wants me to have the gastric bypass surgery done (I will never do that to myself), she was really getting on my nerve and I explained to her my history and all the diets I have been on and my fears and she has since backed off some, but she tells me that my weight problems are not all hormone related, course I already know some of mine is genetic, but she feels I am overeating and eating whatever I want and I am not, but I am not believed I guess. Hormones have wrecked havoc with my body and some is due to the weight I gained, even the endo doctor supports that theory. I don't know what it would be like to be thin since I have never been - I would be happy to be back where I was when I graduated high school, but it seems like a very high mountain to climb and I get so fatigued and run out of steam fast, I don't sleep well anymore - if I get 3 to 4 hours a night sleep I am doing good, I sometimes feel the need to have a nap during the day and I have never needed a nap before I discovered all these problems. I feel like I am a mess and no one understands. I also questioned my family physician on changing me to something other than the levothyroxine because I read where it can cause allergy type symptoms with sinuses and I have that, but she tells me she cannot change me to any other medication because there is nothing else, but I have been reading on here that there are other meds others are taking so I am not sure why she is saying that - I know my endo doctor did not think Armour was right for me, but I now question other things I have read on here for side effects of levothyroxine. I would go back to my endo doctor, but he moved away, so now I am back to square one.
I have tried to drink more water and I have noticed that has helped me feel a little better - just never drank much water before, but I was reading a book on Water and it had some very good thoughts and so I am trying to implement them. I have heard of a guy who lost weight just drinking lots of water and so I am trying to incorporate that in my diet now. I am trying to watch carbs again, but eating a little more than last time because I do not want low blood sugars again. I have not lost a pound. I am too tired and achy most days to go for a walk, but I have made myself do that when I can.
I have to figure out what is going to work for me and if that means trial and error then so be it, isn't what my doctor wants, but I don't think she is really on my team even though she says she is. I am researching and have been trying to eat more fruits and veggies, watching the carbs, and trying to exercise and drink more water. Maybe one of these days it will surprise me and start working!
Sorry this is so long, but thanks for letting me share my story.

Lorlyn
lorlyn63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 07:22 AM   #117
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: bill_co
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
Please don't believe a lot of the 'myths' surrounding thyroid issues. I lost almost 200 lbs on very low carb--and I'm hypothyroid. I lost the first 60 lbs when I was hypo but could not get a diagnosis!

The issue isn't carbs so much as calories. When you're hypo, your metabolism slows, even with meds, so you need to eat less than you're used to doing.

There is a belief that low carb inhibits the conversion of T4 to T3, but I did not experience that at all. My endo told me that if you have Hashi's (as I do), and some point in the disease, that conversion will become a problem, but it's the disease, not the lack of carbs that causes it.

I think that often people assume causation when there's only correlation--i.e., I eat low carb and have low T3--therefore low carb causes low T3--NOT.
This is probably not the right place to post, but my post on another thread received no response. My problem is currently not weight loss but weight control and low temp in esp. hands & feet. Following was my post.

Nuc'ed thyroid
I had the radioactive iodine thyroid killer treatment in mid Dec at Mayo Clinic. Before that and until recently, despite what I ate, I was losing weight. In the last couple weeks the weight is coming back on, maybe a little too fast. Also, I stay cold most of the time, esp, hands and feet. Also, have diabetes but that is well under control.

Dr. told me that it would take a few months before the thyroid was dead. Are my symptoms indicative of hypo and when I get on the thyroid meds, can I expect to see a change in those symptoms? I see a new endocrinologist on 29 Feb and would like to go in a bit better educated.
bill_co is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 10:33 AM   #118
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cdwrites
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post

Leo, I keep hearing this over and over about low carb and thyroid. So much that I'm now trying to increase my carbs to at least 25g. I have been low carb (very low carb, often under 15 or even 10g for long stretches) for a few years. I dropped grains and fruit about 2 years ago. Nothing worked to lose weight and I only had 10 to lose. I finally did hcg and that got the weight off but now 6 months later, the weight is back. I don't know if I have a thyroid problem because I haven't been tested (no money to go to the right doc right now). It keeps getting suggested to me because I can't lose weight and gain easily. I gained the weight back from hcg not by cheating and not by adding back grains, sugar, or even fruit, but each time I have TOM, I gain 2-3 lbs and it doesn't drop back off. Someone suggested again that this was happening to her and she was hypo. She had other symptoms, too, like fatigue, etc. I don't have the fatigue, my hair looks pretty good (but had periods when it was falling out), my temps have been good when I'm taken them, I don't sleep enough and should try to do that very strictly but the kids always interrupt anyhow. I just don't know and won't until I'm tested. But, in the meantime, can't drop a single pound and so frustrated. I've been doing the JUDDD diet for 3 weeks and nothing .
cdwrites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 10:37 AM   #119
Senior LCF Member

One more question: If it's not low carb that is the problem, and it's low calorie, how low does one have to go? What about the starvation mode that can lower the metabolism even more? I am doing 500 calories every other day on the JUDDD.
Old 02-17-2012, 10:43 AM   #120
Senior LCF Member

And what type of weights to do? I need to build some muscle here . I have a few kettle bells (10 lb and 15 lb). I have dumbbells power blocks up to 25 lbs. I have some DVDs that also use body weight as resistance. I do these workouts and nothing happens.???? I run but I reduced that to 1-2 times per week and it's for enjoyment. I have been a runner for 15 years and it never worked for weight loss.