Originally Posted by JenniIndiana View Post
what does TPO stand for

Thyroid Peroxidase Antibody (TPOAb)
watcher513 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-2011, 04:54 AM   #62
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: inatic
Stats: 182+/126 5'4 51!yo 16/4 *5* kidlets later!
WOE: Coach:Erik Ledin leanbodies consulting
Start Date: LowER C since 2/02 wt training 10/15/02
Thyroid perioxidase

You are going to have to do some reading....
at Stop the thyroid madness, See lab tests .. they tell what tests you need/what they are/for and how to read the results.
inatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 09:07 AM   #63
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JenniIndiana
Stats: 240/213/130
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 12/2011
stopthethyroidmaddness is where im going to next, I need to figure this out. and the more drs i talk to, the more i get the feeling they dont know anything about thyroid....arggg....
JenniIndiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 04:46 PM   #64
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Augirl
Have been very thin my entire life--tennis player, ballet dancer, runner. So, when I gained weight almost overnight and started feeling like crap, I knew something was "wrong." I still looked thinner than most, and so very long story short, most doctors never took me seriously when I walked in and stated I was sure I had a thyroid problem. Turn the clock forward four years (and lots of new health problems later), and I am finally optimized (per blood tests and a fabulous doctor--thanks, Pam ), and on my way to feeling well. I can hold down a teaching job and two other part time jobs now, care for three kids and a supportive husband, and think straight most of the time. Weight is still my issue--cannot seem to lose all of what I gained. Maybe my body is where it is supposed to be having been probably too thin for too many years (it has suggested I might have been hyperthyroid), but as my weight fluctuates, this is what I notice:
1. I cannot eat white flour, sugar, etc. and feel well.
2. I have to eat twice the protein I used to eat (read Protein Powder to determine that) to lose weight and/or feel well
3. I have to supplement with branched chain amino acids (recommended per my doctor) to feel well/lose weight. These are also found in my protein powder (Pure Protein)
4. In addition to taking my T4 and T3, I have to get enough sleep. With sleep, I lose on low carb. (50-90 good carbs per day). Without enough sleep (for me it is a good 10 hours), no weight loss and possibly weight gain. After depriving myself of sleep for 20 years, it is all I can do to keep everything balanced. I first noticed this correlation when I took vacations and lost weight. I tend to sleep much more on vacation--even though I probably eat more--and always come home having lost weight. I joke it is my way to weight loss. Now, cognizant of this, I notice if I sleep, eat more protein and calories (LC) I can lose weight, look better overall, and feel well.

We are all different for sure. What helped me is charting everything I ate every day, my lifestyle,and how I felt. I was able to see some correlations to stress and lifestyle.

The days of staying up all night reading/writing and eating rice cakes are definitely over for me!
Augirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 02:29 PM   #65
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JenniIndiana
Stats: 240/213/130
Start Date: 12/2011
Thank you so much, i am grateful for all this info....I agree, I notice a difference when I eat "whole food" rather than processed crap....thanks Kimberli
JenniIndiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 10:48 PM   #66
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Augirl
Thanks for these great resources, Kimberli! Really good stuff!
Augirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 07:23 AM   #67
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Kimberli
WOE: Zone
Start Date: March 2010
Thanks ladies! You're very welcome. I love sharing the good word.

At the start of this journey I felt like I was putting together one of those 10,000 piece puzzles that are one solid color and without a pattern. Today I feel like I'm down to the last few hundred pieces.

Of course getting the proper medical attention was first and foremost but it was amazing how many simple things I could change on my own and that made a tremendous difference. Gluten is evil, I'm sure of it. And that was not easy pill for me to swallow. My mother was artisan baker and I literally never ate a piece of store bought bread till I was teenager. It was a part of our lives. Not anymore...

You ladies rock and this forum is a great community!
Kimberli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 03:15 AM   #68

Quote:
I do not know of one single person with autoimmune that can freely indulge in dairy.
i think im the freak in the bunch lol..

i have hashi's, and eat EVERYTHING but doesnt mean like you said, that everyone can.
Old 02-05-2011, 08:21 PM   #69
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: watcher513
Hmm, me too Ilene. You're not alone.
Old 02-06-2011, 09:17 AM   #70

thanks Kimberli!

We actually have cottage or greek yogurt with either some PB or almonds, at night, before bed, to keep blood sugar level over night.

I dont know if my intense training has anything to do with what i can tolerate vs someone who isnt training as much?

My pharmacist (kroger) always gives me free kits. I just pay for refills OR he gives me a new kit because they get a ton of them.
Old 03-27-2011, 04:02 PM   #71
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nspeedracer
Stats: 149/129/115 5'3''
my doc ordered just a TSH, I said screw it and ordered the new generic amrour thyroid (Thiroid or Thyroid S) from an online pharmacy... Im sick of doctors. I can take better care of myself than they can guess here and there.
The armour type (dessicated) is natural compared to synthroid which is just T4 and may not alleivate many of the symptoms like depression and anxiety.
I had to take the matter into my own hands.
Back in the day the docs treated thyroids better, start out on a low dose and gradually up it until the symptoms were gone. racing pulse or other hyper symptoms, meds too high. no big.
nspeedracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 04:40 PM   #72
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I hope you got tested yourself through healthcheckusa first, using code 12345 at check out for a discount. I'd want to know my FT's first and where the numbers are. How could you order a prescription without it coming from a doctor?
Old 04-06-2011, 07:52 AM   #73
jdd
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: jdd
Weight lifting routine suggestion

Can anyone recomment a "starter" weight
lifting routine for my 50 year old self?
The weight just seems to be increasing and I am so uncomfortable with myself.
Any links or books suggestions for home routines would be greatly appreciated.
My gratitude to Pam and everyone on this site !!
jdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 03:59 PM   #74

i started with body for life. There are some DVD threads on the exercise BB.
Old 04-20-2011, 11:38 AM   #75
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: shima
need help!

Hi Pam,
Ive been reading posts in here and you seem to be the one to help me...i have hypothyroidism too and i need your opinion and advice on what my doc has me on. i feel like crap all the time and would like to know if you could help me figure it out. so i will tell you my story.
my doc has me on armour 30 mg am and pm. for about 8 mos or so now. at first it helped alot, felt good. maybe for 2 wks is all. since then, im tired all the time, no energy, my oomph got up and walked away!!! skin is dry...etc...
i went two days ago to see her and told her something needed to be done. i have the pressure feeling in my neck at times. had the ultrasound done, diagnosed with hasimotos also.
anyway, she just added cytomel to my meds because i asked her too. but she prescribed 25 mg to start and in what ive read i am to leary to start out at the much. so i cut it in 4 sections, am trying 5mg in am and 5 pm. along with the armour. just started today. can you give me your opinion? she said last blood work showed my t3 to be a little high?
here are my readings:
TSH 1.93
T4 free 0.61
T3 3.2 these were in jan/11
in nov T3 was 2.7
also the antibodie test came back Neg.

thanks so much for any input you can give me!
shima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 03:02 AM   #76

Would be really helpful if you started your own thread.. This thread isnt the place for your post. Its a sticky.

Those labs are from when? Im confused. You need to include lab ranges when you post labs.

If she felt your t3 was high , why would she give you 25mcg of it.
Old 04-21-2011, 12:22 PM   #77
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: shima
sorry, didnt know that i was doing it wrong. i would delete the above if i could figure out how!
shima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 04:19 AM   #78

Iodine isnt something people should mess around with without being tested for it. Most cases of hypothroid disease in women is due to hashimotos , not iodine defiecency. Taking iodine, many found, without tested for it can lead to some unpleasant side effects and in some cases exacerbate your thyroid issues.

one doesnt just take natural thyroid without being monitored. Those needing it, doesnt knock your socks off , it replaces, low levels. And naturally, with ALL medications, one requires monitoring by a DOC.
Old 05-10-2011, 12:05 PM   #79
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: NKY_Lisa
Stats: 216
WOE: Trying to eat more healthy
Start Date: 02/25/2014
Hi Everyone....

I was just tested for hypothyroid and my test results came back as follows:
TSH - 2.63
T3 (reverse..whatever that means) - 193
T3, Free - 2.8
T4, Free - .7

All I know to do is since I'm not below .6 on the T4, I'm not on medication, so I'm taking a herb Thyroid Support supplement, 3 times a day and to avoid artificle sweetener, flouride and add table salt/iodine.

What I've been reading through this thread and please correct me if I'm wrong, that eating LC seems to be a "good" way to lose weight if you are hypothyroid (or close to it)....???

I've been trying to read everything that I can, but some is confusing!

I am 34, TIRED ALL THE TIME, foggy head, swell up like a balloon and I have a 3 year old on top of it......

TIA for any advice
Old 05-10-2011, 04:22 PM   #80

Lisa can you start a separate thread for advice on your labs.
Also when you post labs, please put your lab ranges.
Old 05-17-2011, 06:18 PM   #81
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: jennjersey73
Hi there Im Jen...38 from NJ.I have had Hypothyroidism since I was 3 months old. I actually died and my father brought me back. But..anyways..I am having such a hard time losing weight.I would lose 20 lbs..then plateau..

My levoxothorine is at 300mcg because at times of abuse I wouldnt take it..I messed up my own system.but I am taking it now. I find it hard to stay away from sugar..and not really a bread or pasta eater..i find myself NOT eating at all during the day (not on purpose) but because I am not hungry. I am about 100lbs overweight.But im well proportioned which is good. I am trying my best because as you probably guessed...I also have type 2 diabetes...

I have tried everything..Its hard for me to walk because I have a bum knee..I mean I walk a mile a week...but when done my knee flares up.

So if anyone can help me learn to turn off this need or better yet, want for crappy foods..im open to suggestions..

I have 2 boys 13 and 11 that i want to live to see grow up and a great boyfriend that loves me for me.
Jen
you can email me at jmrkch@aol.com I rarely come on to sites because i forget I join them.
jennjersey73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 07:21 PM   #82
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ande
hypothyroid and bleh

I have been on synthroid for 7 years and still no weight loss and still feel like garbage most days, i drink mass amounts of coffee to combat the fatigue without it, i dont know how i stand upright. just finished induction and afraid to get on the scale. i know us thyroider's and ir and pcos should really avoid all whites but this is really hard,,,i want noodles hahaha
any advice for sticking to it and does it help the symptoms of hypo any better???
ande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 08:30 PM   #83
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ande View Post
I have been on synthroid for 7 years and still no weight loss and still feel like garbage most days, i drink mass amounts of coffee to combat the fatigue without it, i dont know how i stand upright. just finished induction and afraid to get on the scale. i know us thyroider's and ir and pcos should really avoid all whites but this is really hard,,,i want noodles hahaha
any advice for sticking to it and does it help the symptoms of hypo any better???
Hmm. It sounds like you really need to get the correct thyroid labs done (TSH plus Free T4 and Free T3 - Not the Totals). That fatigue sounds like a lack of T3 which is our energy.
Old 07-03-2011, 06:31 AM   #84
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Anneebananee
Stats: 167
Start Date: 6/21/11
Where do you live?

Hi All! I'm a newby to the forum but it's clear I need something like this for support and I love it so far!

I ask everyone who is HYPO where they live, near the coast or elsewhere, because I was told that women who live in the midwest, as I do, do NOT get enough iodine in their diet and therefore it wreaks complete havoc on the thyroid!!! I only started my induction a week and a half ago but I decided that along with my ARMOUR thyroid (both T3 & T4 in it) I would add a kelp supplement to my daily routine. I guess women who live near the coasts tend to be consuming enough fish and other ocean foods to have enough iodine in their diets.

*HAS ANYONE ELSE EXPERIENCED THIS OR HAD THEIR IODINE LEVELS TESTED?
*DID IODINE HAVE A ROLE IN YOUR HYPO?

Any info would be great!!!
Anne
Anneebananee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 06:43 AM   #85
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Anneebananee
Stats: 167
Start Date: 6/21/11
Iodine Self Test

Wow! After my last post about iodine deficiency, I decided to do a quick google search and found this fabulous, at home test that costs about a buck for the iodine at the drug store!

How to Self-Test for an Iodine Deficiency

I'm sure this isn't hard core medical science but at least you can go to your doc afterward if you think there's a problem and have the professionals do testing.

I should add that yes, we have iodized salt in the US but from I've heard recently, it is still an undiagnosed problem for women, especially in the Midwest because doctors rarely consider that when making diagnosis these days; because salt is iodized. I can tell you that I rarely use salt and because of the mercury factor of fish, I have almost completely eliminated it from my diet for the past ten years (I've been having children and nursing so...no fish). I'll use myself as a test subject by taking just the one kelp supplement a day and let you all know how I feel by the end of summer.
Anne
Anneebananee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 04:33 PM   #86
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anneebananee View Post
Wow! After my last post about iodine deficiency, I decided to do a quick google search and found this fabulous, at home test that costs about a buck for the iodine at the drug store!

How to Self-Test for an Iodine Deficiency

I'm sure this isn't hard core medical science but at least you can go to your doc afterward if you think there's a problem and have the professionals do testing.

I should add that yes, we have iodized salt in the US but from I've heard recently, it is still an undiagnosed problem for women, especially in the Midwest because doctors rarely consider that when making diagnosis these days; because salt is iodized. I can tell you that I rarely use salt and because of the mercury factor of fish, I have almost completely eliminated it from my diet for the past ten years (I've been having children and nursing so...no fish). I'll use myself as a test subject by taking just the one kelp supplement a day and let you all know how I feel by the end of summer.
Anne

You don't say if you have Hashimoto's or not. Iodine usually isn't a good thing for people with Hashi's. If you haven't been tested for it, you should be.
Old 07-21-2011, 05:56 PM   #87
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: MsTLF
Stats: 143/126
WOE: LC
Start Date: 07/11/2011
This may not be the right place to ask this question....but....
I was diagnosed with Hasi's, but had a total thyroidectomy due to non-cancerous tumors. I am on Armour. Do I still have Hasi's?
Thanks....T
MsTLF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 06:42 PM   #88

you will always have hashi's.
Old 07-24-2011, 08:40 AM   #89
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: quirkyrabbit
Stats: 143/129.5/129.5
WOE: hCGi R1P3
Start Date: Jan 1
Shomon/Holtorf interview

Long Term Weight Loss for Thyroid Patients -- Hormonal and Thyroid Factors That Affect Weight

This is a Mary Shomon article interviewing Dr Holtorf. It's worth a read, although I don't agree with him on everything: He says that low carb is not good and ultimately creates, recommends Big Pharma scrips, and likes slow-release T3 a la Wilson, and, IMO, his RT3 rates are questionable. (I'm more of a DrLowe.com person).

That's what reading and research is though: Learning, seeing different perspectives, and deciding what works with our belief systems. Enjoy.
quirkyrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 10:34 AM   #90

Going to low carb causes insulin resistence and the thyroid to slow, needing medication. Even atkins had to medicate his patients for low thyroid. Hense another reason to climb the carb ladder.