Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Thyroid
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2010, 03:33 PM   #31
Thyroid Patient Advocate

Gallery: nonstickpam107
I'm the other way. I have Celiac. But I also won't eat rice. Or corn. Or any grain. And I can't do low fat. And soy is certainly out of the question.

There is a lady on the main lobby that does vegetarian lowcarb (TaDa). She would be able to help you I think.

Pam
nonstickpam107 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-2010, 08:30 PM   #32
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Kimberli
WOE: Zone
Start Date: March 2010
My daughter has two friends that are vegetarian but also have celiac. They are all in the same crowd of friends that do CrossFit which are firm Zone or Paleo eaters. Hard crowd for them be in at potlucks and dinner parties.

Anyways, I know they eat a lot of vegetable stews, sautes, ect. But one thing they eat that I recently made was lettuce wraps with herbed scrambled eggs. Oh my, never would I have thought that would be good but it was great. It reminded me a lot Ina Garten's herbed baked eggs, just they were scrambled in a healthy to go package.

One of them has a vegetarian chef as her sister so that helps too!
Kimberli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 10:23 AM   #33
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mattie jo
thanks pam and kimberli. i will check out tada when I am feeling better. have bronchitis.

a lettuce wrap sounds good. can you share the recipe?

i don't do soy either pam, and i would like to not do rice or corn because i think they can be fattening, at least the corn. not sure about the rice.

i have a hard time eating out or going to pot lucks too. may as well bring my own food. not fun.

the dr. thought i just had a wheat allergy and would not give me a celiac test, claimed there was no such thing. wierd. but if i eat one piece of wheat i have stomach problems for two weeks. his idea was to do a rotation diet, well, i can be off wheat for a long time and still get sick on even a little of it.

why can't you do low fat pam?
mattie jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 11:07 AM   #34
Thyroid Patient Advocate

I put anything and everything in a romaine leaf, lol. (Egg salad yesterday, yum).

Low fat leads me to eating carbs. When I eat carbs I break out in fat.

I lost from 277 to 112 (this am) and have maintained for eight years. On lowcarb. Satisfied. No WAY would I go lowfat. No WAY. I'm never starving again on lowfat (I eat about 1800 cals a day and maintain).

The 'cure' for wheat allergy and Celiac is to eat no gluten. There...now you don't need to test. Just avoid all gluten and you'll be fine. (They found mine with a small bowel biopsy...but I 'knew' they would...I was that sick on any gluten).

I'm allergic to corn and 64 other foods (thank goodness, most of them are junk and carby, and lowfat, so I still eat very well).

Sorry you have bronchitis...hope you feel better soon, that's no fun! (I'm inside, not to go out, or to stores/crowded places until further notice...cuz of my lung disease). Hopefully THIS year I will NOT be in hospital New Year's Eve!

Pam
Old 12-08-2010, 12:52 PM   #35
Senior LCF Member

i bet i am hungry all the time on 1 percent milk. and of course that leads me to having grains. i will change that after my milk runs out.

you have low thyroid too? and you lost that weight? wow!!

i was on a veggie low carb diet and lost weight, but then i gave up and went back to bread. now i know i can live without wheat.

hope you don't get sick this year. i got the h1n1 vaccine this year and was told by my doctor that a lot of people are getting bronchitis who have taken it. never again. i suspected as much because every year i get a flu shot and never get a headcold or bronchitis; this year i also got h1n1.

ah, to even be 120 again. i liked being 112 too, but my age may not allow it.

i will have to try and egg salad on lettuce. thanks.

i had a veggie meal that i just loved, but i had wrapped it in a flour tortilla. it could be good on lettuce. i used a black bean dip for spread, and then scrambled egg in it and topped it with onion, avocado, tomato and banana. yes, banana. i had had it at a cafe in a little beach town in san diego, ca. and i figured out what was in it.
Old 12-08-2010, 03:16 PM   #36
Senior LCF Member

p.s. did you have to cut out all sweet pam?
Old 12-08-2010, 06:12 PM   #37
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Kimberli
WOE: Zone
Start Date: March 2010
If you google Ina Garten Herbed Eggs her recipe will pop up under Food Network. She bakes hers in a dish, which is great too, but the difference is mix all the herbs, eggs and cream together then ad the butter to a skillet and then scramble the mixture. The cream makes them lovely and soft. I'll use whatever lettuce I have but my absolute favorite for this is butter lettuce. Put the eggs in the lettuce and top with some parmesan.

Also, be creative. Use any herbs you have. I've done this with dill, tarragon, chervil, ect. It's all great.

Hope you get feeling better!

Last edited by Kimberli; 12-08-2010 at 06:13 PM..
Kimberli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 07:13 PM   #38
Thyroid Patient Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattie jo View Post
i bet i am hungry all the time on 1 percent milk. and of course that leads me to having grains. i will change that after my milk runs out.

you have low thyroid too? and you lost that weight? wow!!

i was on a veggie low carb diet and lost weight, but then i gave up and went back to bread. now i know i can live without wheat.

hope you don't get sick this year. i got the h1n1 vaccine this year and was told by my doctor that a lot of people are getting bronchitis who have taken it. never again. i suspected as much because every year i get a flu shot and never get a headcold or bronchitis; this year i also got h1n1.

ah, to even be 120 again. i liked being 112 too, but my age may not allow it.

i will have to try and egg salad on lettuce. thanks.

i had a veggie meal that i just loved, but i had wrapped it in a flour tortilla. it could be good on lettuce. i used a black bean dip for spread, and then scrambled egg in it and topped it with onion, avocado, tomato and banana. yes, banana. i had had it at a cafe in a little beach town in san diego, ca. and i figured out what was in it.
I have Hashimoto's...I lost 50 pounds before I was ever replaced with thyroid hormone. Ah, only lowcarb could do THAT, lol.

No sweets. No sugar. No bread. No grains.

If you're interested in the 'plan' please pick up two books (and your library might have both). The Protein Power plan (the original, called just 'Protein Power') and Atkins Diet Revolution (not the 'new' diet revolution, the original which was written in 1972).

I hate to be 'simple'...but it was. I read the PP book cover to cover, and also the Atkins book...then did what it said to do. And...here I am!

Pam
Old 12-08-2010, 09:15 PM   #39
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: watcher513
Definitely check with your library. Also, they may have a used bookstore attached or in the same building. Our library has one that's run by The Friends of the Library, or something like that. Volunteers work there 6 days a week.
watcher513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 04:40 AM   #40
Senior LCF Member

but don't the books avocate eating meat? and i can't get meat. but basically all their other ideas would be great. thanks. reading reviews on the book, it looks great! so i ordered it. i guess i can eat eggs in place of meat.

Last edited by mattie jo; 12-09-2010 at 04:51 AM..
Old 12-09-2010, 06:58 AM   #41
Thyroid Patient Advocate

Again, if you cannot have ANY meat, shellfish, finfish, poultry, etc.....the 'go to' person on this board is TaDa and you'll find her on the Main Lobby. She also does NOT advocate eating soy....so that's good too. I know she'd be a big help to you folks wanting to do a more vegetarian Atkins.

Pam
Old 12-09-2010, 03:01 PM   #42
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonstickpam107 View Post
Again, if you cannot have ANY meat, shellfish, finfish, poultry, etc.....the 'go to' person on this board is TaDa and you'll find her on the Main Lobby. She also does NOT advocate eating soy....so that's good too. I know she'd be a big help to you folks wanting to do a more vegetarian Atkins.

Pam
Hi, I posted a message to her, but she hasn't answered. Maybe she has been away. Thanks again.
Old 12-09-2010, 04:23 PM   #43
Thyroid Patient Advocate

I pm'd her too. Maybe she is busy or away...

Why don't you go to the Main Lobby and post: I am hypothyroid and cannot have soy, but want to do a vegetarian lowcarb. Any suggestions? and see what you get. TaDa isn't the only one doing it.

Pam
Old 12-10-2010, 05:08 AM   #44
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: TaDa!
Stats: 236.5 /132.5/ 128-133 @5'3"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance (Vegetarian + Fish)
Start Date: 6/03 & Goal! 5/06
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattie jo View Post
....I lost weight on the atkins diet once, but now I can't lose the ten lbs. i wish to lose.

i am a vegetarian and have gluten problems. I eat some brown rice but not much. some corn bread but not much. but i have a feeling i have to be strick, too strick for my own life enjoyment.

i feel like i am basically living off eggs, 1 percent milk, nuts, some cheese, fruit and kefir. but then i had whole grained brown puffed rice and homemade cornbread, but then i don't eat much when i had it.

i just got off 3 percent milk and ice cream that wasn't helping, but i have not lost a pound. and i quit eating homemade cheese enchildadas made with corn tortillas. maybe that will help too.

i am short, so 10 lbs makes me heavy.

hard to do the atkins diet when you don't eat meat.

Hi Mattie!!! Hi Pam!!!

Pam directed me to this thread, but I did make a long response with detailed proteins information, etc over on the vegetarian board where you posted, here: TaDa I bolded a section in your post above and I think the problem you are having is not about trying to do Atkins as a vegetarian - you have great non-soy proteins available to you (see the link for pointers to information on these):

Quorn, Seitan, Eggs, Dairy, Nuts and seeds (which should not be underestimated!!!!), as well as vegetables which contain good amounts of protein.

I think your issue with trying to lose 10 pounds is that you are neither doing lowfat calorie counting, higher carb, nor are you doing a specific lowcarb plan. You specifically say you are concerned about your "enjoyment" and I think that is the crux of the issue. Corn bread, corn tortillas, rice, bananas, 1% milk are not lowcarb **weightloss** items. I think you need to pick a plan. You can do Atkins as a vegetarian, but if those food items = enjoyment, then you will not enjoy it.

I see a lot of people say they cannot lowcarb as vegetarians, but it is untrue. They do not wish to do what it takes to lowcarb as a vegetarian. So, they either highcarb it and say they could not lc, or they start to eat meat and do lc and lose weight and say vegetarianism is for fatties .. but neither thing is true.

You can lose weight on lowcarb vegetarian diet and it is even in the newest Atkins book New Atkins For A New You with specific guidelines. I think, in life, people do what they *want* to do and then justify it. A lot of people kid themselves that they are heavy due to reasoning beyond their control .. and in the case of hypothyroid, there certainly is a challenge to overcome, but what you decide to do on a daily basis can help you overcome the challenge - or at least head in that right direction, or it can stagnate you in the situation you find yourself in today.

I would put some serious serious thought into what it is you want, etc. It is a problem we all face at some time - hypothyroid, meat-eater, non meat-eater alike. I hope what I say isn't too harsh .. You can do whatever you wish to do as far as diet and lowcarb successfully even without soy as a vegetarian, but you have to decide what you want to do (in your place, I might consider South Beach!!! which may give you more whole grains faster than Atkins would)

Pam ... I loved your orginal post and can say that - with the exception of not eating soy - that is exactly how I lost weight and now maintain my weight. the whole induction and "vlc" bias is just "strictness" for the sake of strictness for most of those on it and totally unecessary to the vast majority of people who wish to lose some weight. When we have other self-imposed or medically necessary restrictions, going that route is just foolhardy as the chances of being able to do it are very slim!!! great post!!!!!!

Mattie ... I know you can get to a good place, but it will take you a lot of thinking and soul-searching ...

Pauline

Stats: 47 Years Old & 5'3" tall
Weight: 236.5 (43 bmi) / 132.5 / 128-133 (size 4/6 .. 23 bmi)

*Weekly Weigh-In 7/10/12

My Journal
Year One Weightloss and Chart
My Weightloss Story
TaDa! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 07:10 AM   #45
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
I totally agree with Pauline in terms of we can lose on a variety of plans, but we need to be determined and committed.

She refers at the end of her post to getting 'to a good place,' and I really think that's the challenge for most people. You have to be in the right place mentally to see weight loss as a challenge, but one you are determined to meet.

I can say this because I remained morbidly obese throughout my life. Did I like being fat? Of course not. But somehow I could not get to the 'place' that focused me on losing. In fact, I don't know how I got here, and I don't know how to advise anyone else, but one thing is essential--don't think about the negatives; focus on the positives.

It's not what you can't eat, but what you can eat that is important.
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 08:45 AM   #46
Thyroid Patient Advocate

Pauline..you RAWK!!! Thank you so much for your kind words and your wisdom.

I'm going to free up some time today to go and take a look at what you've outlined on the vegetarian forum too.

Pam
Old 12-10-2010, 08:58 AM   #47
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mimers
Stats: 160/139/130
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: October 2010
TaDa/Pauline.....thanks for coming over here and posting what you did. I couldn't agree more! I was one that "fooled" myself thinking I couldn't do low carb until I realized that I truly didn't want to give up something I was eating (food diaries are essential if you want success). When I realized that I was sabotaging myself (all for the sake of the tastebuds), I "got it". Your post is well put, wonderful and to the point. Loved reading it.

~Michele
mimers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 10:13 AM   #48

Gallery: TaDa!
Stats: 236.5 /132.5/ 128-133 @5'3"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance (Vegetarian + Fish)
Start Date: 6/03 & Goal! 5/06
lol! Thanks guys!

And if anyone wants more specifics on any vegetarian-related (non-soy) questions, feel free to hunt me down!! The list of foods that contain proteins was a big wake-up call to me .. there are a lot of them! and my veg protein knowledge was a little stuck in the 70s when I became one and then quickly read a few books with that era's thinking on protein ... which is totally changed today ...

Pauline

Last edited by TaDa!; 12-10-2010 at 10:14 AM..
TaDa! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 03:44 AM   #49
Senior LCF Member

Thank you so much TaDa. I believe I can do it.
Old 01-24-2011, 10:50 AM   #50
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: christie5683
Stats: 185/176/145
WOE: Atkins/ LC
Start Date: July 13, 2012
I FOUND THIS INFO ONLINE:

people with hypothyroidism are often told to avoid goitrogenic foods. Goitrogenic refers to the fact that these foods can increase your likelihood of developing a goiter by decreasing thyroid hormone production. Remember, a goiter is a lump in your neck, caused by an inflammation of the thyroid. It’s not pretty.

The funny thing about these foods is that the majority of them are very healthy, in general. The incidence of their consumption causing a goiter is gone if you take specific measures, most notably – cooking them.

Regardless, the following foods are considered goitrogenic: cabbage, broccoli, turnips, rutabaga, mustard greens, kale, spinach, Brussels sprouts, peaches, pears, strawberries, and radishes cauliflower, millet, and African cassava.

These foods should not be eaten in large quantities and generally not raw especially if you are on thyroid replacement hormones and still have a thyroid because they can negatively interact with your medication, nullifying its effects. Cooking seems to break down the enzymes enough to make the anti-thyroid effect a non-factor.
christie5683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 08:05 PM   #51
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JenniIndiana
Stats: 240/213/130
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 12/2011
I have hypo thyroidism. I do not take medication for it, because when i did, it was synthetic and made me have heart palpatations that made me really scared. I hear the armour is better for us? What can I do to improve my condition without mnedication? I have no insurance
JenniIndiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 04:07 AM   #52
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

There is nothing OTC. It's not medication, it's hormone replacement. Someone I know doesn't have insurance and goes to the County Clinic. You need to get lab work done which you can sign up for online then go to a lab near you: healthcheckusa.com, Thyroid Panel II (TSH, Free T4, Free T3), at check out put code 12345 in for a discount. They send the results to you.
Old 01-25-2011, 11:28 AM   #53

Gallery: inatic
Stats: 182+/126 5'4 51!yo 16/4 *5* kidlets later!
WOE: Coach:Erik Ledin leanbodies consulting
Start Date: LowER C since 2/02 wt training 10/15/02
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenniIndiana View Post
I have hypo thyroidism. I do not take medication for it, because when i did, it was synthetic and made me have heart palpatations that made me really scared. I hear the armour is better for us? What can I do to improve my condition without mnedication? I have no insurance
Like Terry said, short of replacing your thyroid hormones, (unless caused by poor diet/very low cals/carbs .. naught...

Did you have the proper testing done.. per chance have your labs you can share?
inatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 01:24 PM   #54
Senior LCF Member

dr never shared the labs with me. He just said I was low. Seriously, I thought I was going to have a heart attack with the synthroid. I am suprised there isnt a holistic approach to this problem. I am 26, tired ALL the time, fatigued all the time, cold always too. I have a 3 year old son, and l have the energy of an eighty yr old
Old 01-25-2011, 01:50 PM   #55
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
You may have received an initial dose that was too high. Heart palpitations and a racing pulse is a classic response to too high an initial dose of thyroid hormones.

People react differently to the hormones, and when I was first medicated with synthroid at 50mcg, I, too, got heart palpitations. But I phoned my doctor immediately, and she told me to cut back to 25mcg for a few weeks. I actually needed 75 mcg, but it took almost 6 months to get to that level because my body had to adjust.

When you had those palpitations, it probably wasn't the med itself but the dosage.
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 02:28 PM   #56

how much did doc put you on.. did they test the antibodies.. perhaps you have hashi's and were swinging back and forth..
Old 01-26-2011, 06:34 AM   #57
Senior LCF Member

Not really sure what Hashi's is....perhaps i have it? I am going to get re-tested. I do know I was on the lowest doseage of synthroid, this was 2 yrs ago that i stoped taking it. My parents go to a dr who is an expert/specialist in thyroid, and I think I will be seeing him soon as i have a lump in my neck. Very scary! I need to do something fast. Just hard w/o insurance.
Old 01-26-2011, 02:16 PM   #58

Jenni google indiana docs here on lcf.. there are one or two good ones.
Old 01-27-2011, 07:01 PM   #59
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenniIndiana View Post
Not really sure what Hashi's is....perhaps i have it? I am going to get re-tested. I do know I was on the lowest doseage of synthroid, this was 2 yrs ago that i stoped taking it. My parents go to a dr who is an expert/specialist in thyroid, and I think I will be seeing him soon as i have a lump in my neck. Very scary! I need to do something fast. Just hard w/o insurance.

If you get/got a TPO Antibodies test you'd if you do or not.
Old 01-27-2011, 08:25 PM   #60
Senior LCF Member

what does TPO stand for