Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Thyroid
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2010, 10:10 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: SuperKat
Is Green Tea healthy for Thyroid/Adrenal conditions?

Hi all! Well in my quest to feel better I have given up coffee because no doubt about it everything I read says coffee is the biggest stressor for people with thyroid/adrenal conditions (esp. adrenal). So, now I am drinking green tea (caffeinated) instead. I have read different schools of thought on Green Tea. 1st they say caffeinated is the better green tea to drink, that decaf green tea does not have the same health proponents. 2. Even in Dr. K's book he is a HUGE advocate of Green Tea stating that even though there is caffeine if you have thyroid/adrenal it can benefit you. 3. I have read studies that say there are pollutants or toxins in many green teas that hamper the Thyroid oy!!!! Why must everything be a puzzle? I am enjoying the Green Tea and getting that jolt from it, but would love to hear from you guys your thoughts/experiences.
Kat

Last edited by SuperKat; 11-30-2010 at 10:12 AM.. Reason: typed too fast LOL
SuperKat is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-30-2010, 11:32 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tybeeanna
Stats: H286 }232VSG{ C162 G when I get there
WOE: low/carb 8-21-12
Start Date: 8/21/12
You might want to google green tea & fluoride & thyroid. Just happened to hear something on this a week or so back in the news.
tybeeanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 11:33 AM   #3
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Kat- This may all depend on your specific condition. I can only share my own experience. I have Hashimoto's but my adrenals are fine (recently tested). A couple of years ago, my endo actually suggested that I increase my caffeine intake because I was trying to lose weight with a severely compromised metabolism. He recommended caffeine and exercise--but I was already exercising.

For the past two years, I've been drinking coffee all morning (black) and green tea (also plain) all afternoon. I haven't felt any negatives, and my thyroid, checked every 4 months, does not seem to have been affected in any way.
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 12:46 PM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Thanx guys! : )
Old 11-30-2010, 03:21 PM   #5
Thyroid Patient Advocate

Gallery: nonstickpam107
And I'm fine with strawberries and raw cauliflower yet anything with lots of fluoride (green tea, black tea, tap water in some communities) just knocks me out. Depends on the person.

Pam
nonstickpam107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 09:00 AM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Oh no now I have to worry about Strawberries lol never heard them mentioned before. I know they say avoid raw cruciferous but I suppose it is all individual.
Old 12-02-2010, 09:43 AM   #7
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
My endo's advice on all these food issues is anything is OK so long as it's not the basis of your diet--i.e., you eat it only occasionally. So I always cook my broccoli, spinach, etc. because I do eat those veggies regularly, but something like strawberries would be exceptional for me (I usually don't eat any fruit). I would say that if it's something you eat less than once a week, it probably is OK.
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 10:55 AM   #8
Thyroid Patient Advocate

Yes, I didn't agree with everything MY endo said either. At one time he wanted me to eat soy, and take benadryl to curb the hives. Cuz it was healthy. In HIS country.

I think we need to just be aware of what affects US. The study for soy (phytoestrogens and immune) and fluoride studies have been ongoing since 1978...and we see the 'damage' to the thyroids on film....from fluoride treatments and when they first started putting it in water in some cities (WAY too much!)..so there's no 'question' about what it 'can' do.

I don't cook my broc, nor my cauli, nor my ...anything...if I don't want to. Why? Well, because I eat it all week..not just 'once in a while' it's an everyday excursion for me to eat those and eat those UNcooked. And I'm optimally treated....and that's probably WHY I don't have any 'fallout' from it.

We know I'm not 'allergic' to strawberries (I've been tested). But I know I feel like a truck ran me over if I eat them. Same for COOKED cabbage..OMG...it hates me and stalks me for days, lol.

I don't ask my endo, nor my doctor (well, one I do, I work with a dietician on his staff...inservice) for nutrition advice. I look up studies, how long, how many people in it, etc. And most important..I go by how I feel. Myself.

I've got a really good doc who medicates me to 'normal human being'or as close as I can get to that. Meaning I don't really try and 'outsmart goitrogens.

I don't eat much fruit either...maybe that's WHY the berries get me, lol.

Pam
Old 12-05-2010, 06:20 AM   #9
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: gratedanes
It's funny that I keep reading stories about how green tea gives ppl a burst of energy or how it can raise your pulse and possibly blood pressure. It's the exact opposite for me.
gratedanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 12:36 PM   #10
Junior LCF Member

BTW I found a flouride free green tea called Matcha you can usually find it in Asian markets and some health markets as well.
Old 12-06-2010, 06:25 PM   #11
Thyroid Patient Advocate

Never heard of it! Interesting.

Pam
Old 12-06-2010, 10:14 PM   #12
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Kimberli
WOE: Zone
Start Date: March 2010
Matcha Tea is awesome. It's a powder and has to be whipped with whisk. Traditionally a small bamboo whisk. It can be drank cold or hot, with milk (latte style), plain or sweetened. It has a vegetal taste but I think all green teas do. The more expensive brands have a slightly sweet hint to them. Hard to explain. I love it mixed with orange juice but for those that go low carb, not such a great idea. Next time you're near a good tea shop try some.
Kimberli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 06:06 AM   #13
Thyroid Patient Advocate

Ok, I searched. And it says it has 'less' fluoride than other green tea. Not none. So...I'm not having any, lol. I guess I'm not much of a 'tea drinker'...I seem to only like the fruit teas and the herbals.

Kimberli, your idea of mixing it with orange juice...I get a sugar free orange mix (like crystal lite only walmart brand)...that might be good for those who are lowcarbers.

Pam
Old 12-07-2010, 06:21 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MagicalHome
I am hypo. My TSH level has already been controlled. My endo didn't give any special diet nor limit on what food not to take. It really depends on each one's condition.
MagicalHome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 06:33 AM   #15
Thyroid Patient Advocate

It's easy to control a TSH level. Just wait a few minutes...cuz it goes up and down by three whole points in any given day in any given human.

I shudder to think that a doctor would use my pituitary level (TSH) as an indicator of my real thyroid hormone levels (T4, T3). That's what held me back from energy, from losing weight well, from being 'me' again.

Horror movies don't scare me. But that does!

Pam
Old 12-09-2010, 03:42 AM   #16
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: inatic
Stats: 182+/126 5'4 51!yo 16/4 *5* kidlets later!
WOE: Coach:Erik Ledin leanbodies consulting
Start Date: LowER C since 2/02 wt training 10/15/02
Pam im like you, dont care for 'real' tea but the fruity kind. Never thought to add a wee bit of swtner.

Magical, that is true if one is optimized but like Pam said, TSH isnt the way to optimization.. I'd never have gotten treated by tsh as mine was in normal range. thank goodness for positive antibodies!
inatic is offline   Reply With Quote