Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Thyroid
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2010, 09:27 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: SuperKat
Anyone have experience with Dr. Steven Noseworthy, Fl. (Dr. Kharrazian protoge)

Hi all! After reading the book "Why do I still have Thyroid Symptoms" (Dr. Datis Kharrazian) I wanted to find one of his protoges to be evaluated and treated. If you havent read this book it is fantastic and works on a more natural, wholistic concept (stating that thyroid is usually the result of other impending issues if when fixed will go back to normal) understands Iodine is not for everyone (if anyone) amongst many other interesting concepts. I live in Florida looking for a stellar thyroid/adrenal practitioner and Dr, K's web site sent me the name of Dr. Steven Noseworthy (yes that is his real name : ) and I am wondering if any of you gals have any feedback or experience with him and or with Dr. Kharrazian. Thank you I appreciate your help!

Kat
SuperKat is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-29-2010, 09:32 AM   #2
Junior LCF Member

FYI after looking him up I see he is a Chiropractor not sure that is the way to go.
Old 11-29-2010, 03:31 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: maile
Stats: 170/166.5/140 5'7"
WOE: PPLP and IF
Start Date: Oct 2009
just a note that if you have Hashimoto's thyroiditis a Holistic approach will not cure your thyroid problem as eventually the Hashi's (which is an autoimmune disorder) destroys your thyroid. Iodine is generally not recommended for Hashi's patients.

If you are functionally hypo and don't have hashi's then his protocol may benefit you.
maile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 04:51 PM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Hi Maile, thanx for your response. I have functional Hypo, his protocol calls for cleaning up the body, supplementation and that your thyroid should heal. I wonder if Iodine could be helpful he is against it for everyone.
Old 11-29-2010, 06:32 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: maile
Stats: 170/166.5/140 5'7"
WOE: PPLP and IF
Start Date: Oct 2009
some do feel better on iodine but since salt is generally ifused with iodine there are very few people who are low in this. the best way to see would be to try either an iodine deficiency test (see it at stop the thyroid madness) or try iodine supplements.
maile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 07:30 PM   #6
Junior LCF Member

will do!
Old 11-29-2010, 07:33 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mimers
Stats: 160/139/130
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: October 2010
Hi Kat....I was curious to know what your test results were before commenting, so I went back and read your posts on this site...and unfortunately, there is not one test result posted other than a TSH (I believe it was 6.8?) that you said was done prior to 2010.

Have you been tested this year? Would you care to post your latest test results with ranges?
mimers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 10:02 AM   #8
Junior LCF Member

Hi Mimers! Lol thats why I am looking for a good Thyroid doc to get all tests redone. I have not been retested or treated since last year. I also only got the TSH and not the full panel which I guess does me no good. I started on Armour when I got my last results but the Armour had a negative effect on me and I was taking the smallest dose (like half of the smallest dosage). I felt so speeded up and stressed even though I had more energy and smaller apetite but I couldnt take it. Thats why I want to get my adrenals tested as well.
Old 11-30-2010, 06:59 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

There are several places where you can get all the tests done that you need/want. Canaryclub, healthcheckusa and a few others out there don't require a doctor to have the tests run....and you'll know you are getting the "proper" testing done (24 hour saliva cortisol, FT3 and FT4). After more than a year of no testing, and previous tests not including the proper tests to begin with, why not just do it on your own. Many of us have done that and continue to do that as it's so much easier! Then you will know!!!
Old 11-30-2010, 07:02 PM   #10
Junior LCF Member

Thanx a lot Mimers! I was thinking of doing that but then I figured what do I do once I get the results? I will still need a good Doc to treat me. Do the tests on your own cost less than through a Doc?
Old 11-30-2010, 07:44 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Kat, when I had the testing done though the docs office last year, it was about $1200 for everything and did not include the 24 hour saliva test.

When I did the testing through canaryclub for thyroid, cortisol, Vitamin D, hormones, etc., it was $249. healthcheckusa is something like $85 for the thyroid and I don't know what it is for the 24 hour cortisol test/saliva. Vitamin D and ferritin and iron are also very important...also B12 although I just supplement with it and have never been tested for it myself. Healthcheckusa doesn't have a lab near me, so I didn't look that one up for pricing. Dr. Lowe has another lab that does all the testing too...think it's directlabs and it's new? Lots of options out there and I know there are others. If you get the labs done and post your results here, you'll get LOTS of comments of what people think! But you do need a doc to Rx for you. You have said you were on Armour, then Naturethroid and then got an Rx for Erfa, so obviously you have a doctor that does Rx natural dessicated thyroid. Is there a problem with keeping that doc? If not...keep him/her and just get the testing done, read all you can...go back and read as much as you can on every thread you can. It will teach you a lot and then you can be your own self-advocate. That's the only way I got well. I read and read and read!!!!! Got lots of books from the library and read every single post on every single thread on this forum. I posted my results on this forum, and I got lots of help!

Remember that if you take ANY adrenal support meds, it will skew your cortisol tests, so you want to be off anything like that for at least 2 weeks...but it's a test I think you would really like to have the results for based on things you have written in Jan/Feb. It's well worth doing it all on your own in my humble opinion! And no waiting if you have the labs done on your own! Well worth it!
Old 12-01-2010, 01:01 AM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: watcher513
Interesting about the differences in lab prices. I just checked DirectLabs and they're $109 for the same tests that healthcheckusa charges $85 for (TSH, Free T4, Free T3). Anyone ordering through healhcheckusa don't forget the discount code: 12345, at check out.
watcher513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 08:58 AM   #13
Junior LCF Member

Wow guys thanx for all the great info! Just to check Mimers I do need a Doc to Rx the do it myself tests (canary, healthcheck, etc.)? My Gyno was writing the prescriptions for me and is very helpful so I dont see why I cannot ask him I just need to know exactly what to ask for? So I should first find out which tests I need done and then get a specific Rx.....you know what I will also get over to those sites to find out as well. I have a feeling (and Pam also mentioned) that T4 alone is very helpful...but ofcourse I must get all my testing done. I want to make sure I get all the tests that I need so I leave no stone unturned so to speak. Thank you so much!
Old 08-12-2012, 09:03 AM   #14
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: maddie427
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKat View Post
FYI after looking him up I see he is a Chiropractor not sure that is the way to go.
I realize that this is an old thread, but I thought it was worth mentioning that Dr. Kharrazian is a chiropractor and if you respect his work (the book you mentioned), don't you think it would be worth checking out a doctor that is trained directly by him? Our bodies intricate connections are very complicated and having a doctor that knows, respects, and treats the body as such is worth their weight on gold.
maddie427 is offline   Reply With Quote