Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Thyroid
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2010, 04:33 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: MRLives!
New diagnosis hypothyroid then crash n burn after starting meds!

Diagnosed hypothyroid on 9/27/10. Labs:

TSH 12.66 (0.34-5.60)
FT4 0.63 (0.58-1.64)
Iron 91 (28-170)
Ferritin 8.1 (11.0-306.8)
Folate 12.4 (>3.0)
B12 272 (182-900)

Started on 50mcg Levothyroxine the next day. Began supplementing with 189mg elemental iron (Ferrous Sulfate) in split doses with 1000mg Vit C each dose, sublingual B12 1000mcg, Bcomplex/amino acid formula, and 1000 IU Vit E.

After 2 weeks started feeling worse and went downhill from there. Had already approached my Dr about armour with the usual negative response so i had no confidence in her.

I got sick with something respiratory and after a week of that I had a day that ended with me going to the ER. On top of the pronounced hypothyroid symptoms I had a major hypoglycemia episode along with major anxiety, nausea, diarrhea, lightheaded, dizziness and a feeling like I could crawl out of my skin or spontaneously combust. BP on arrival was 205/105 and HR in 120s (not normal at all for me.)
TSH that night was 23.04.

Called my sister who is a Dr and herself hypothyroid and she told me to increase the Levothyroxine to 150mcg (based on my weight) which I did that morning. It has been 3 days on that dose now and I feel a little bit better today but have spent the past 3 days in bed. Don't feel well enough to return to work ( I work 12hr night shifts) but I need to.

Had already made an appt with Dr Michael Milton in Cummings, GA but couldn't get in until 12/2. Any advice to help between now and then?
MRLives! is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-07-2010, 05:21 PM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: inatic
Stats: 182+/126 5'4 51!yo 16/4 *5* kidlets later!
WOE: Coach:Erik Ledin leanbodies consulting
Start Date: LowER C since 2/02 wt training 10/15/02
where is your free T3?????????????????????????
need vit D
dr should be looking to see if you are converting that synthyroid over to Ft3..

dr milton/cumming. you are in Ga.. Hi neighbor.

call dr robert goldmans office in alpharetta (georgia hormones)
inatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 05:49 PM   #3
Junior LCF Member

I'm surprised that doc even ordered the FT4. She is completely closed to anything coming from me as she made clear by telling me "I know more than you about this - I trained with a top endo doc for six years."

I know Dr Milton orders all the appropriate labwork.

Thanks for the tip about Dr Goldman - maybe I can get in sooner.

I look forward to getting more answers.
Old 11-07-2010, 05:59 PM   #4

you can definitely get in sooner.. Dr g/donna are my drs/np and they have a new dr in there supposed trained as doc G.

They order all the right tests too and are not threated by knowledge
Old 11-07-2010, 06:52 PM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Thanks again for the info on Dr Goldman! I just checked out his website and I really could use his expertise in the female hormones as well since mine have always been out of control and are even more so now since entering perimenopause.

I'm calling tomorrow!!
Old 11-08-2010, 04:44 AM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Do the symptoms that sent me to the ER and my continued anxiety and inability to handle any significant activity indicative of adrenal issues?

I read about synthroid and the possibility of adrenal crisis....how often does this occur?
Old 11-08-2010, 06:46 AM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Hi Ileen,
I read on another post about cortisol that your doc didn't believe in saliva testing and you didn't think he would prescribe Cortef for you. Is that Dr G? How did that turn out?

I ask because I think that may be a problem I have. Have done the saliva testing and am returning it today.

Thank you all for taking your time and sharing your invaluable wisdom!!
Old 11-08-2010, 07:52 AM   #8
Junior LCF Member

Not making appt for new patients for Dr G until March or his NP until
Jan.
Old 11-08-2010, 09:07 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mimers
Stats: 160/139/130
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: October 2010
MRLives!.....so glad you did the 24 hour cortisol testing.....looking forward to seeing your results as many of us have had problems with the adrenals/cortisol levels. The endocrine system is so complex, and we have to really be on top of all aspects, not just thyroid. Keep us posted.
mimers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 02:49 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRLives! View Post
Not making appt for new patients for Dr G until March or his NP until
Jan.
there is a new dr in there.. how about that one. I dont know the name though..

Dr G hasnt seen my saliva test but we did discuss it being 'low' on serum (only mid range by 9:30 am and he thought that was fine.) personally,i think he isnt comfortable with adrenals so he stays away from it..

Im ok with it for now as im trying to using b vitamins,extra c and trying to balance my sex hormones which are major players to the adrenals, to see if that helps.
Old 04-04-2013, 06:44 AM   #11
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: lilburnlisa
Crash n Burn history

MRLives. how did you end up? I have had a history of crash and burn on thyroid meds, so much so that I just gave up. Now I am feeling hypo again and reconsidering getting back on something. Did you ever find your sweet spot with this stuff?

Lisa M
lilburnlisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:10 AM   #12
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
MRLives- It may be the Levothyroxine. I was diagnosed about 8 years ago and put on Levoxyl--which has been fine for me. A few months ago, my (now former) pharmacist persuaded me to fill the Rx for Levothyroxine because my insurance company considers the two drugs identical (and the Levothyroxine gives the pharmacist a bigger profit in terms of cost I later learned). I switched--and began to slowly feel miserable, but I wasn't sure what the problem was.

A month later, I had my regular check up with my endo and told him about the switch and how awful I was feeling. He advised me to immediately get back on Levoxyl. He said that from the pharmaceutical perspective, there's no such thing as 'identical' drugs. With thyroid Rx, the fillers used to convey the hormones are different with every brand. People can have difficulty with any one of the thyroid meds, and another, supposedly 'equivalent' brank will be fine. As soon as I was back on Levoxyl, I was feeling fine again within weeks.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:33 PM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: watcher513
Hmm, MRLives! last post (seems to be the Very last forever with 9 posts total) was 11/8/2010.
watcher513 is offline   Reply With Quote