Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Thyroid
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2010, 11:54 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: moopie86
My experience: Cytomel vs. Liothyronine sodium Generic

Hi everyone,

I've seen a few threads lately and I don't want to hijack, but I just have to share this. Awhile back I was put on 5mcg of Cytomel. I had issues with my insurance, so they gave me a generic. I looked around but I didn't find anything, so I took it.

Time went on, everything is fine, my prescription changed - so I got a new script. 5mcg 2x daily. With the insurance change, I now have a deductible, so they filled with the brand name. I kept taking my original script, but 2x daily to finish it up and not be wasteful. Then i switched to the newly filled stuff.

I got SOOO sick!! I felt it slowly, but with nothing else having been changed, I know this has to be it! My stomach always felt nervous, my bowels were going crazy (sorry to be gross, but I am sure someone will want to know this!) in all sorts of ways, and my appetite was completely gone. I forced myself to eat and it just made it worse, but no matter what I did, I couldn't shake the upset stomach! All of this actually started making me gain, not like hypothyroid or without t3, but 4lbs, about a pound a week, and I think i was actually eating LESS because my stomach was so upset.

I went back to the Pharmacy after a few weeks and I asked them to please refill with the generic they gave me last time, and they did. Since I have switched, I lost practically all of the 4lbs (its been about a week) and more importantly I feel normal again. My stomach is good, and I am eating and hungry normally again.

Just had to share!! Maybe it's something it's compounded with that totally did not sit well with me??
moopie86 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-2010, 12:32 PM   #2
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
I can't relate because I have the opposite situation--almost. Cytomel saved me from T3 that was below lab range, and I now take 15mcg daily (begun at 5 and increased twice).

My insurance company penalizes me for the brand name now that the generic is available (I pay double for the brand), but I'm afraid to try the generic because I'm doing so well ,and I don't want to risk having problems with the generic.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 04:03 AM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Carleigh
Glad you're feeling better!!

Switching back and forth between brand name and generic can yield some side-effects. And heck, even switching between different generic manufacturers can too!!
Carleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 08:58 AM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: zeph317
My doctor suggested I request the brand name, and I have to pay out of pocket because insurance will only pay for generic. Thought generic is usually what causes the most side effects.
zeph317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 11:21 AM   #5
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: lisabinil
Stats: 287/Restart 206/177/160 5'6"
WOE: Healthy Carb for Optimum Health
Start Date: 2/4/10
With generic Cytomel there is usually no problem like there is with Synthroid. With the Synthroid I have been told by 2 docs that the generic can vary with amount of actual hormone by 40% depending on which generic company and to stick with brand name Synthroid.
lisabinil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 06:54 PM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: watcher513
I don't have a problem at all with Liothyronine, generic Cytomel. It works fine for me.
watcher513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 03:47 PM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: carmichael
WOE: none
Seeing you all here taking synthetic combos I am wondering what your free T4 and free T3's are running. I am on Armour and my free T3 is above the 3/4 levels but my free T4 is just below the lowest normal range. I am wondering if the doc increases my Armour if it would throw my free T3 to high but may bring my free T4 up to a higher level.

Thinking the synthetics could be adjusted more accurately for both frees perhaps I should try the synthetics. Any opinions?
carmichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 01:11 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: brbangl3
Quote:
I am wondering if the doc increases my Armour if it would throw my free T3 to high but may bring my free T4 up to a higher level.

Thinking the synthetics could be adjusted more accurately for both frees perhaps I should try the synthetics. Any opinions?
Carmichael, I've seen some on this board who have had to add Synthroid/T4 to their existing Armour regimen for the same reason. Do discuss the options with your doctor, especially if you are still feeling like your current treatment is insufficient.

If you are doing well on Armour otherwise, though, simply adding some T4 would be far easier than completely switching to synthetics, don't you think?
brbangl3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 01:36 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: brbangl3
Quote:
Switching back and forth between brand name and generic can yield some side-effects. And heck, even switching between different generic manufacturers can too!!
Agreed! Consistency is key! Each one seems to use different fillers, produce tablets of different sizes, react differently in the body, etc. I took generic Cytomel (manufactured by Mylan) before my pharmacy switched manufacturers a month ago without informing me. The "new" generic made me feel terrible within a few days, so I decided to pay more for the Cytomel brand and be consistent with it. Switching from generic to brand yielded a brief "adjustment period," but it seems to be just fine now.
brbangl3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 03:28 PM   #10
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
I take brand-name Cytomel because that's all there was when I started, but my insurance company charges me DOUBLE for not using the generic.

My endo likes me on the brand, but I'm considering asking him to give me a prescription for generic only because if I have any problems, I've learned that it's possible to challenge the insurance company--arguing that the brand is a 'medical necessity.' If the generic doesn't agree with me, my endo would certainly certify a medical necessity for the brand.

I just hate paying extra because the insurance company wants everyone on generics.

I just hate tinkering with my T3 because when it initially tanked (necessitating the Cytomel), I was a basket case for a month until I found the problem!
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 02:05 AM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: watcher513
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmichael View Post
Seeing you all here taking synthetic combos I am wondering what your free T4 and free T3's are running. I am on Armour and my free T3 is above the 3/4 levels but my free T4 is just below the lowest normal range. I am wondering if the doc increases my Armour if it would throw my free T3 to high but may bring my free T4 up to a higher level.

The last time I had everything tested I was on 10 mcg. T3 twice/day and 75 mcg. T4, in January 2011. I tested at 4 hrs. 57 min after morning dose:

TSH........1.2 (0.45-4.50)
FT3........3.8 (2.0-4.4).....3/4 range is 3.8
FT4........1.1 (0.82-1.77)..mid-range is 129.5

I need to get my own tests done again through healthcheckusa. I tested through Kaiser a couple of weeks ago after I'd upped my T3 to 12.5 mcg 2x/day under supervision after the January tests. They're main (only) concern is where the TSH is so I have to test on my own for Free T's. I came out with a TSH of .64. I feel best under 1.0. I'll probably do it in the next couple of weeks because I'm really curious to see where everything really is since the T3 was upped a little bit.