Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Thyroid
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2010, 11:39 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: chicagoan000
Hashimoto's

Hi,

I have had Hashi's for more than 25 years. Up until three months ago, I was treated the tipical way... entirely based on labs - and with Synthroid. Never felt better - no one listened. Then, last year I got very sick - bedridden for more than four months. It felt like Total Body Failure! I was confused, weak, and barely functioning, and 12 docs could not figure it out. One found Reactive Hypoglycemia, but after getting that under control, I still have a lot of fatigue, brain fog, pain, stiffness, etc...

After reading Dr. Mark Starr's book I started taking my basal temp and averaged of 97 degrees. Out of curisoity, I then started experimenting with my Synthoid - verrrrry slowly upping the dose until I had increased by 50% and felt no change. It was pretty clear I was resistant. I saw an article on the Net about a Dr. in Skokie Il who dealt with Thyroid Resistance. Though I live out of town (in NC), I am originally from Chicago and decided to see him; that was 3 months ago. He was happy to treat me. I think it was a real ego boost for him. Anyway... I told him everything, including me upping the Synthroid. He agreed this clearly was Thyroid Resistance, lowered my Synthroid, and added Cytomel.

Since then not much change. My Reactive Hypoglycemia has improved a little, which is good, but I'm still verrry fatigued and weak, and my constipation is getting MUCH worse (perhaps the Synthroid is too low). Additionally, caffeine is a real problem. One cup will wipe me out the next day, and leave me very stiff and in a lot of pain (possibly Adrenal?). It's pretty clear, the dosing is not right.

Additionally, I think he knows (or thinks he knows) some basics, but has had no experience in someone like me who is now on 75 mcg Cytomel and 88 mcg of Synthroid and not seeing much change at all. He always seems surprised. Now he is dodging my calls. I think this guy is over his head and doesn't know what to do if you don't respond immediately to the meds.

This is a serious problem in my family, and lead to both my mother's and brother's death. Can anyone help? Any ideas? I'd like to find a Chicago Doc who takes insurance that can help.

Thanks in advance.
~M~
chicagoan000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-2010, 11:44 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mimers
Stats: 160/139/130
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: October 2010
I see that you have posted this same item in 2 threads.....stick to this one as it will be 100% yours!!! Let the other one "go", okay.

Please post your most recent test scores for FT4 and FT3 with ranges. Also Vitamin D and iron/ferritin if you have those as well, with ranges.

Thanks. I doubt people will comment without at least seeing ranges. Everyone takes different amounts of thyroid meds and has different results on them. There is no blanket answer based on dosage...hope that makes sense.
mimers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 11:56 AM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: chicagoan000
Hashimoto's

Sorry, I am new and wasn't sure how to do this. I'll stick to this post.

You all seem SO MUCH more knowledgable than I am. FT3 - FT4, is that Free T3 and Free T4? Is there a difference between Free T3 and T3?

I will look for my labs and post.

Thanks,

~M~
chicagoan000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 12:29 PM   #4
Thyroid Patient Advocate

Gallery: nonstickpam107
YES. Total T3 and total T4 (go up and read the sticky "thyroid tests are normal...are you sure?" show what's running around in your blood. Free T4, and Free T3 show what your body is able to USE, unbound. Very important.

Oh my. Mark Starr. I'm well optimized for Hashi's...and my body temp NEVER goes above 97.5 except when I'm gravely ill. Why?????? 'Other' autoimmune diseases. Most of us don't go by temp cuz if we did...we'd mostly be way over replaced, OR way under replaced.

FT4 in most NORMAL human women is about half way of it's range. And FT3 in most NORMAL human women is about 2/3 of it's range (some like it half way, and some like it all the way to top of range). And, last, but not least, are you using generic Cytomel, and if you are..have you noticed that the Paddock one is not very effective? The tablet has enough filler to feed a horse.

I don't use synthetics (I'm anaphylactically allergic to T4...it's made from corn). Many docs who are used to using lots of T4 will think, when their patients have a HIGH FT4 that's a good thing..it's not....it's not normal. Most docs who Rx. NDT for their patients know that it 'mimics' the human thyroid. Meaning: Pig thyroid has almost the same exact dosage as a real human thyroid makes.

Most who are doing T3 for thyroid hormone resistance are having it compounded, and time released. Oh, and NO T4.

AND..T3 only lasts about um..say...five hours in the human body at 'peak'. So..most of us take our 'split' of T3 (or NDT) and then have our blood pulled no less than four hours and not more than 5.5 hours to see where our FT3 lies in range. If you don't take ANY of your Cytomel and then test...for FT3? You're not testing anything. There isn't any there to test.

Please also let others know if you are taking time released (SR) or compounded Cytomel. And how you 'split it'.

Pam

Last edited by nonstickpam107; 10-23-2010 at 12:30 PM..
nonstickpam107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 02:45 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: slmunoz
WOE: LC
I'm wondering at what point you'd give up on synthetic thyroid replacement and give natural a try? Are there people out there who are not "allergic" to synthetic, but never get optimized on it? If you can't tolerate synthetic T3 due to palps, increased pulse etc., does that mean you wouldn't tolerate the T3 in natural thyroid replacement? This is assuming ferritin, vitamin D, progesterone, and B12 are all at good levels.
slmunoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 05:49 AM   #6
Thyroid Patient Advocate

Gallery: nonstickpam107
and if adrenals are good. Adrenals should be checked with a 4x in one day salivary test.

Pam
nonstickpam107 is offline   Reply With Quote