Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Thyroid
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2010, 10:55 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: brbangl3
Good endos in Louisiana?

I was just informed that my endocrinologist has resigned... Does anyone have any recommendations for a good endocrinologist in Louisiana? I'm in Baton Rouge, but am willing to drive.

Thanks!
brbangl3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-18-2010, 11:10 AM   #2
Thyroid Patient Advocate

Gallery: nonstickpam107
Were you being treated by an endocrinologist with both T4 and T3? (need to know to 'match ya up'). Do you need someone who is specifically on your insurance? Hopefully, I can get a 'list' to ya where at least one may be on your plan. If you are ONLY on T4 (Synthroid, levothyroxine) and you like that...than you can prolly go anywhere to anyone.

Pam

Last edited by nonstickpam107; 10-18-2010 at 11:27 AM..
nonstickpam107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 11:44 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

No diabetes here, just endocrine mayhem between Hashi's and PCOS. I've had two other endocrinologists who were very thorough with both T4 and T3 for thyroid, and who readily prescribed Synthroid/Cytomel combos. I'm only on Synthroid now, but need to be back on some T3 based on my last lab results. Having said that, ideally I would like an endo who will do some adrenal testing and more sex hormone testing (why don't they ever check progesterone?!) to help me figure out how to "optimize" my treatment for both conditions.

I've got Blue Cross/Blue Shield and would prefer to see someone who accepts it. Although, again, just as I am willing to travel, I would pay $$ to see a good doctor.

Thanks, Pam!
Old 10-18-2010, 12:28 PM   #4
Thyroid Patient Advocate

And you're there IN that state, so you know that there's no one who does adrenals there except for OTC supps (Isocort). If you can tolerate T3...than you prolly have decent adrenals?

Hmmm...almost everyone on every list there has the ol' 'OOH, this doc is so goooood....omg...he LOOKED AT ME!!!!". But that's all. Let me go and check (and if I post your doc who's leaving, let me know please).

Ok, here's my list (and my comments):

David Remedious, General practice/internist/primary care, surgeon, Jackson St., Alexandria, LA 71301, 318-442-6989. ( I have a patient recommendation saying he's been known to give a WHOLE TWO GRAINS of Armour. )

Kashi Rai M.D., 824 Elmwood Park Blvd., Ste. 210, Harahan, LA 70123, 504-818-2525 fax 504-818-0492. (patient recom: "knows to test for Hashi's and knows symptoms')

Aiyiyi! Just a HUGE number of docs recommended cuz they took a thyroid OUT...and that looks like it happens a LOT...and a few recommended cuz they 'knew I was hyper with that low TSH'....OMG...

Oh..and a few more that 'Cured my Hashi's with a special diet'

Charles C. Mary III, M.D., 3813 N. Causeway Blvd., Suite 200, Metairie, La. 70002, 504-833-4338, fax 504-849-1299, Mary Medical Clinic. (I hear of this one over and over cuz he does Armour....he's like Sara Lee...nobody doesn't like him...)

Dr. James Hill 820 Jordan Street Shreveport, Louisiana Family Practice, Natural Medicine and Acupuncture. (Said to be an Armour Doc...)

Deborah Adcock, M.D., MBA, Hormones and Thyroid Issues, 2533 Bert Kouns Industrial Loop, Sterling Center, Shreveport, LA 71118, 318-688-8801. ( I would go to this one for BHRT myself.don't know if she does natural thyriod or a synthetic combo but know she will do T3 Cytomel). I don't know how far this is from YOU but I'd prolly go here first...JMHO. (If someone is reading this and has any info on whether this doc wil optimize or won't, etc. please speak up)

Steve Kuplesky, Holistic Medicine, 314 Christine Lane, Simmesport, La 71369, 318-941-2057 (Armour and BHRT doc here too).

Please do let me know if you see someone off this list and how it's going for you. If it's not going well, please let me know that too....and I'll reconsider the listing.

Pam
Old 10-18-2010, 02:57 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
If you can tolerate T3...than you prolly have decent adrenals?
Actually, no, I'm not tolerating T3 at all, which is why I am only on Synthroid right now (and feeling terrible). The last time I saw my most recent endocrinologist—the one who resigned—in late June, he wanted me to add 10mcg Cytomel to my daily 100mcg Synthroid. I gave it about a 4-week trial, but really couldn't even tolerate 2.5mcg Cytomel, much less increase to 10mcg! That's the primary reason why I want some decent adrenal testing. That same endo would only do a 24-hour urine test for adrenals.

Thank you for the list of docs. At first glance, I'm with you on Deborah Adcock. (After seeing nothing but male doctors, I've been wanting a female doctor, anyway—especially for the PCOS stuff). Shreveport is a decent drive, but still drive-able.
Old 10-18-2010, 03:03 PM   #6
Thyroid Patient Advocate

That doesn't mean it's YOUR ADRENALS..that means the doc was too um...doh to know that EVERYONE has to cut back the T4 to add T3 and no one takes an initial whopping 10mcg. to start

What were your FT4, FT3 with ranges for that time? Cuz docs who only do T4 most the time...they think 'normal' is WAY high in range for FT4. It's not. Midway is good. So, if your FT4 was huge in range, and then he added T3??? ACKKK we'd ALL react!

I'd think she may be the only one to really 'get' adrenals. That pee in a jug and then guess what time was high or low test is usually good for those with the opposite problem...too much cortisol. I used to have fun when the lab would get those 24 hour pee jugs and then casually ask the doc "And...say...will you please tell me what my cortisol was at exactly 3pm...with ranges please?" Snort.

You can order a 24 hour salivary kit from some online labs as well as your testing if you want.

Hope Shreveport isn't a huge drive for you....(and don't think females are 'better' at this..most of them aren't...they like to say 'Oh, it didnt' bother MEEEEEEE' lol IMHO). And I'm hoping that if it IS your adrenals that you aren't too 'far gone' that some OTC Isocort might work for you. Good vibes for you!

Pam

Last edited by nonstickpam107; 10-18-2010 at 03:04 PM..
Old 10-18-2010, 03:18 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Pam, the Metabolic Center of LA (Dr. Rajat Bhushan) may be a consideration for your list of LA endocrinologists. They are big on diabetes there, as are most endocrinologists in LA. But, in terms of thyroid treatment, they are pretty liberal. I've been prescribed Synthroid/Cytomel combos, Synthroid/compounded T3 combos... I've even been prescribed Armour by them, albeit too much too quickly (they didn't exactly address that whole "titrating" thing). When I went back telling them that I felt awful with heart palps, headaches, etc., they just took me off it completely and said it was obviously too much for me. Went back to Synthroid. Adrenal testing is mostly nil there, as well. So, I took it upon myself to buy one of those saliva kits online from ZRT Labs and took the results to the Metabolic Center. The doctor pretty much told me that I wasted my money and dismissed the fact that my results showed elevated cortisol in the evening and low DHEA-S for my age.

Negative peeves aside, if you are looking to add Armour-friendly endos to your list of LA docs, the Metabolic Center of LA is one to look into.
Old 10-18-2010, 03:20 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Btw, I really enjoy your comments on doctors! You've really gotten a good taste of LA medicine from this list, too!
Old 10-18-2010, 03:25 PM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Beezer Louisiana
Stats: 192.2/160/160 (5'6")
WOE: Very low carb, no frankenfoods. NK
Start Date: June 21, 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by brbangl3 View Post
Pam, the Metabolic Center of LA (Dr. Rajat Bhushan) may be a consideration for your list of LA endocrinologists. They are big on diabetes there, as are most endocrinologists in LA. But, in terms of thyroid treatment, they are pretty liberal. I've been prescribed Synthroid/Cytomel combos, Synthroid/compounded T3 combos... I've even been prescribed Armour by them, albeit too much too quickly (they didn't exactly address that whole "titrating" thing). When I went back telling them that I felt awful with heart palps, headaches, etc., they just took me off it completely and said it was obviously too much for me. Went back to Synthroid. Adrenal testing is mostly nil there, as well. So, I took it upon myself to buy one of those saliva kits online from ZRT Labs and took the results to the Metabolic Center. The doctor pretty much told me that I wasted my money and dismissed the fact that my results showed elevated cortisol in the evening and low DHEA-S for my age.

Negative peeves aside, if you are looking to add Armour-friendly endos to your list of LA docs, the Metabolic Center of LA is one to look into.
I went to Dr. Bhushan at The Metabolic Center in Baton Rouge just eight weeks ago and he refused to prescribe Armour. "An endocrinologist of my stature would never prescribe Armour. It has potency/consistency issues and, besides, it won't even be around by next year." Yup. That's what he told me.

I'm going back tomorrow to go over my 6 week bloodwork results. I'm wondering if he'll make a better impression on me then!
Beezer Louisiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 03:36 PM   #10
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: inatic
Stats: 182+/126 5'4 51!yo 16/4 *5* kidlets later!
WOE: Coach:Erik Ledin leanbodies consulting
Start Date: LowER C since 2/02 wt training 10/15/02
Quote:
oh his stature..
omgosh!

White coat syndrome at it's highest.
inatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 04:33 PM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by inatic View Post
omgosh!

White coat syndrome at it's highest.
Yes. I was surprised because he's prescribed Armour to others in the past. Maybe that was before he was such a big doctor?

He irritated me but as long as he keeps my thyroid hormones in optimal zones I'll go to him.

It's slim pickin's in Baton Rouge.
Old 10-19-2010, 05:30 AM   #12
Thyroid Patient Advocate

Quote:

Ha ha..I do have him on my lists...but was 'told' to stop rec. him cuz he's got enough patients now. I was just trying to be 'nice' and not give every patient his name. And now I've heard from SEVERAL that he pushes synthetic and is just not even going to give any Armour. Period. He no longer has to worry about me recommending him...he can retire now if he'd like.

Pam

Last edited by nonstickpam107; 10-19-2010 at 05:32 AM..
Old 10-19-2010, 05:36 AM   #13
Thyroid Patient Advocate

Quote:
Btw, I really enjoy your comments on doctors! You've really gotten a good taste of LA medicine from this list, too!
My first 'taste' was with a women who wrote me...um..think it was in 1987...yes..it was..I'm looing at her folder now. She had Hashi's and presented not too badly...it had just 'kicked in' same time as menopause reared it's ugly head.

Well. a WEEK later, she write me and says "Wish me luck, they are taking out that nasty ol' thyroid this am'. Well...then I get an email from her hubby telling me that the doc refused to 'treat her' unless she signed for surgery. What's even worse, it was the first time I'd heard this crap line: 'You don't need no stinkin' thyroid...your body will just start making all the hormones!'. EEEEEEEK!!!!

Six weeks later, she was staunchlly defending the doctor, yet crying how bad she felt. Ya can't have both! She never did move on...cuz she had 'Dr. God in a white coat'.

LOL Would you believe...it's 'worse' for treatment options in New York State, especially the Western Tier? Oh yeah. And in NYC. I already knew that cuz I'm from NYS but people flip when they find they live in the busiest city in the world and all they can get is some iodine thrown at them.

Pam
Old 10-19-2010, 11:45 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Meant to respond to this:

Quote:
What were your FT4, FT3 with ranges for that time? Cuz docs who only do T4 most the time...they think 'normal' is WAY high in range for FT4. It's not. Midway is good. So, if your FT4 was huge in range, and then he added T3??? ACKKK we'd ALL react!
This is me: Hashi's newbie w/lab results and questions

FT4 was clearly over the range on 125mcg Synthroid. Following these results, my endo wanted me to drop down only slightly to 100mcg, and add 10mcg Cytomel (taken all in the morning with my Synthroid). I quickly discovered that I couldn't even tolerate as little as 2.5mcg Cytomel. So, now, I'm only on Synthroid (100mcg) and am waiting as patiently as I can for next week when I go for follow-up labs. I'm feeling so rotten and need to see someone so badly that I made an appointment today with a female endocrinologist in the same clinic as my last endo who resigned. After speaking with the nurse and requesting a Reverse T3 test alongside the FreeT's, I think she may actually do it!
Old 10-19-2010, 12:01 PM   #15
Thyroid Patient Advocate

I'll pray foryou that it's a Free T3, and not a Total nor T3 Uptake.

Personally speaking...from my own experience? i would have had to drop all the way down to between 50 and 75mcg. T4 to tolerate 5mcg Cytomel. Just sayin'. And my adrenals are decent.

Pam
Old 10-24-2010, 07:56 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Personally speaking...from my own experience? i would have had to drop all the way down to between 50 and 75mcg. T4 to tolerate 5mcg Cytomel. Just sayin'. And my adrenals are decent.
Pam, hypothetically speaking, how would one go about making a transition like this one—dropping down the Synthroid so significantly and adding Cytomel? Do you just do it all at once? Or, is it more advisable to drop down the Synthroid first for a few weeks, then attempt to add some T3?
Old 10-24-2010, 03:43 PM   #17
Thyroid Patient Advocate

Depends on: the person. My doctor handles that by dropping the T4 for two weeks, then adding in about 2.5mcg. T3...and goes on from there. He then monitors FT's in about four weeks (even if the patient tries to 'wheedle' more t3) and goes from there. Very few of my doctors' patients use synthetic though. VERY FEW.

Pam
Old 10-24-2010, 07:37 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Very few of my doctors' patients use synthetic though. VERY FEW.
Does he/she prescribe anything but Armour?
Quote:
It's slim pickin's in Baton Rouge
Beezer, are you still seeing Dr. Bhushan? I've got a first appointment with Dr. Jeannemarie Hinkle in November, since I couldn't get in with Dr. Silverberg—both are at the BR Clinic. Do you know anything about Dr. Hinkle? Her bio on the BR Clinic website is somewhat vague.
Old 10-24-2010, 10:01 PM   #19
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:

Beezer, are you still seeing Dr. Bhushan? I've got a first appointment with Dr. Jeannemarie Hinkle in November, since I couldn't get in with Dr. Silverberg—both are at the BR Clinic. Do you know anything about Dr. Hinkle? Her bio on the BR Clinic website is somewhat vague.
I don't know Dr. Hinkle. My son sees Dr. Silverberg and I can guarantee you'd get synthetic from him. I'm not saying he wouldn't optimize your levels -- I just know that he doesn't aprove of Armour. My son is doing fine on synthetic so I let it be.

Yes, I'm still going to go to Dr. Bhushan's clinic at least one more time. (He's foisted me off on his new endo -- Dr. Flood. She seems young.) I go back in four months and I'll see how that appt. goes. I don't really have many other options. If it goes horribly at my next visit I'll go back to my primary care physician, Dr. Gruner (at Baton Rouge Clinic) who offered to prescribe Armour for me (but I got an appt. with Dr. Bhushan and stopped using her for my thyroid.) I think that if things got desperate for me that she'd handle my thyroid for me -- but I'd want to sit down and lay out my expectations of having my T3 in the upper 3rd of the range. She is not one for optimizing levels, mid-range is considered fine by her and she'll tell you that you have sleep apnea, not fatigue from your thyroid. So . . . that's my plan. Try one more time with Bhushan's office in four months and stay with him as long as they don't try to force me to take Victoza or cholesterol meds. (Which I don't need.)

Has anyone recommened Dr. Karen Dantin? She used to be my primary care physician. She prescribes Armour but it's hard to get an appointment and she has to send out ALL of her labs and it takes a long time to hear back. She works in a little 'hole in the wall' office way out on Airline Hwy. near Flannery Oaks. I used to go to her but got frustrated with the VERY low tech operation at her office. (She's understaffed and it's JUST her -- there's no doctor on call, ever. If you have an after hours bladder infection or stomach virus you have to go to the ER.)

"The hardest part about a zombie apocalypse will be pretending that I'm not excited."

Last edited by Beezer Louisiana; 10-24-2010 at 10:03 PM..
Old 10-25-2010, 06:11 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Hmmm, well, that's good to know about Dr. Silverberg, at least!

I noticed in your "nap every day" thread that you and I have similar lab results. It seems that the endos I've seen—originally Dr. Bhushan, then Dr. Marionneaux, then most recently Dr. Matriciano at BR Clinic—all want to keep my Free T4 in the upper range, but are mostly content with my Free T3 being mid-range. When I tell them that I am exhausted and they prescribe some supplemental T3, they fail to lower my Synthroid enough (again, wanting to keep that Free T4 in the upper range, I'm assuming). The end result is: I have never been able to tolerate T3 (even as little as 5mcg) for any substantial amount of time. I always end up back in the same place: on Synthroid alone, which I have been consistently unhappy with.

I am going to try Dr. Hinkle in early November, if only just because I am long overdue for follow-up labs and Dr. Matriciano resigned. I was really interested in seeing a female endo, after seeing nothing but male doctors for six years. I tried to get an appointment with Dr. Jolene Johnson at LSU, but she was not accepting new patients.

Actually, I saw Karen Dantin a few times about two years ago mostly for PCOS-related help and have considered going back to her for thyroid. (At the time, I'm pretty sure I was just on Synthroid, and she didn't really say much about it.) I agree with you and the hole-in-the-wall assessment—everything about that place is a little "sketch." However, I will say that she seemed very thorough and checked me for all kinds of vitamin and mineral deficiencies—a lot of tests I don't think most doctors would bother to look into. She's the only one who has ever checked my iodine level, for example. (Of course, it came back normal.)

I think I do need to figure out my goal for thyroid treatment. Certainly, getting the numbers right—just above mid-range FT4 and 3/4 range FT3. But, while I am interested in trying Armour, I am a little leery... Probably because of my terrible experience with it the one time I tried it. (Basically, it was just a case of starting off on too much, and titrating too quickly.) I do prefer naturals in most cases; however, I have been on synthetic thyroid treatment ever since being diagnosed in 2003 and do appreciate the fact that you can more easily make small dosage adjustments with the Synthroid/Cytomel combination than you can with fixed-ratio Armour, for example. All that said, if I knew Armour would provide some sort of amazing, life-changing improvement over the synthetic crap I've just gotten "comfortable" with, I would do it in a second! So, in that sense, I suppose it would be good to at least have a doctor who is willing to provide the option of going natural or synthetic....
Old 10-25-2010, 06:12 AM   #21
Thyroid Patient Advocate

Quote:

Yes, of course he Rx's synthetic T4/T3 also. I don't think he does any RT3 type clearing though...he's probably got enough on his hands being one of the ONLY doctors in my part of the state who does correct testing, interpretation and Armour

Pam
Old 01-04-2011, 01:22 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Pam, Donna... Do you know anything about Dr. Billy May in Baton Rouge? He's in family medicine. I had an initial visit with him just before the Holidays and will go for my first set of lab tests this week. When I asked him about thyroid treatment, he said he prefers NDT over synthetics. I am hopeful, but was just wondering if you had any specific feedback from patients.

Thanks!
Old 01-04-2011, 01:37 PM   #23
Thyroid Patient Advocate

Nope, never heard of him. I probably know about...oh...20 or so 'obscure' doctors in MY area (very difficult to get any treatment) who do NDT and are family pracs...only problem is...they still go by TSH and T4...and don't seem to 'get it' that a grown woman is gonna need more than a GRAIN of Armour. We are slowly seeing improvement though as we hold more and more 'meetings' and lectures.

Now, there's nothing wrong with cultivating your own doctor! You might want to go and ask the following questions:

1. Do you do FT's and 'where' do you want a patient to be...just anywhere in range...or a specific range?
2. Will I be handed a lab slip ahead of my next appointment, so we can 'discuss' labs at the appointment instead of waiting till NEXT appt.?
3. Do you understand that just testing a TSH doesn't 'cut it' for me as a patient? (well, you can certainly change the wording on that one, lol...I've learned to have to FIGHT for thyroid treatment...so I can be a little um...blunt).
4. Do you understand the relationship between waning progesterone levels and how it affects the thyroid?

And I'm sure you have more questions than that.

Please let us know if this doc turns out to be really good with thyroid (and not one of those "Girls get one grain and boys get two") and understands that TSH and T4 do NOT test for the T3 in Armour. OH, also ask if he will write Rx. for Canadian Thyroid.

Pam
Old 01-04-2011, 01:39 PM   #24
Thyroid Patient Advocate

Here is his health grades page:

Dr. Billy A. May, MD - Family Practice - Baton Rouge, LA

Pam
Old 01-04-2011, 04:04 PM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Thanks! One other doctor I've had my sights on: Dr. Stephanie Cave. She's also family medicine, but claims (on her website) to be "integrative medicine." The only reason I haven't seen her yet is because she does not accept insurance, and her initial consultation will cost me $450. Still, I would pay the money if I knew it would be worth it. Any info on her for thyroid?
Old 01-04-2011, 08:33 PM   #26
Thyroid Patient Advocate

No, sorry, don't have her on my lists either.

Is there a Yahoo Thyroid support group for your state? They can be very helpful...the people can actually tell you who've they've seen, who does what, etc.

Go to Yahoo, go to groups and put in Louisiana Thyroid Support Group and see if one comes up.

Pam
Old 01-05-2011, 09:26 AM   #27
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Pam, Donna... Do you know anything about Dr. Billy May in Baton Rouge? He's in family medicine. I had an initial visit with him just before the Holidays and will go for my first set of lab tests this week. When I asked him about thyroid treatment, he said he prefers NDT over synthetics. I am hopeful, but was just wondering if you had any specific feedback from patients.

Thanks!
Sorry, I don't know him.

I wanted to say, though, that I've been doing great with Dr. Flood at The Metabolic Center (Dr. Bushan's office.) Although she did bump me up with T3 without lowering the T4, after 1 week I was great, better than ever. It's been a few months and I haven't felt this good in years! I even started losing weight! I don't need naps anymore!!!

They accept Blue Cross insurance.

The office is by OLOL. If you go, don't let them talk you into taking the shots of Byetta or Victoza. They push those on everybody, but you can refuse.
Old 01-05-2011, 10:28 AM   #28
Thyroid Patient Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezer Louisiana View Post
Sorry, I don't know him.

I wanted to say, though, that I've been doing great with Dr. Flood at The Metabolic Center (Dr. Bushan's office.) Although she did bump me up with T3 without lowering the T4, after 1 week I was great, better than ever. It's been a few months and I haven't felt this good in years! I even started losing weight! I don't need naps anymore!!!

The office is by OLOL. If you go, don't let them talk you into taking the shots of Byetta or Victoza. They push those on everybody, but you can refuse.
What a wonderful post! And I'm so happy you are getting your life back too!

I love it when I see a proactive thyroid patient giving information about 'not taking' something offered, but still staying strong on the track of treatment!

Pam
Old 01-05-2011, 10:35 AM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
If you go, don't let them talk you into taking the shots of Byetta or Victoza. They push those on everybody, but you can refuse.
Hahahaha! Been there, done that, Donna! I've seen Dr. Marionneaux at the Metabolic Center on-and-off for a few years. I decided I'd start seeking a new endocrinologist after my last visit, when he tried to get me on Byetta... No, thanks!

Dr. Flood is female? I'm curious! Just getting so tired of the male docs, really. And, I've seen a female endocrinologist at BR Clinic twice recently who isn't any more empathetic than the male endocrinologists I've seen. I'm not going back there.

Are you on NDT or synthetics?
Old 01-05-2011, 12:38 PM   #30
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: inatic
Stats: 182+/126 5'4 51!yo 16/4 *5* kidlets later!
WOE: Coach:Erik Ledin leanbodies consulting
Start Date: LowER C since 2/02 wt training 10/15/02
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezer Louisiana View Post
Sorry, I don't know him.

how awesome!!! Finally!!! :
inatic is offline   Reply With Quote