Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Thyroid
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2010, 08:00 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Spoon
Lab Results...Opinions please!

Well, here we go....These are the results for my labs...I used Stephanie Elmore near DFW just for a reference for others:

To recap: I'm a female almost 49 years old...

Glucose 83 Range 65-100
A1c 5.9 Range 4.0-5.6
Insulin 6 Range 6-27

Progesterone <0.2
Ranges Follicular less than 1.35
Luteal 1.84-30.2
Post menopausal up to 0.7

Estradiol: 105
Ranges Early follicular 30.0-100
Late follicular 100.0-400.0
Luteal 50.0-150.0
pregnant up to 35,000
post menopausal up to 30.0

Don't know what phase I am as I have subtotal hysterectomy...no uterus, have ovaries and cervix.

Ferritin 107 Range 10-220

Cortisol, Random 12 Range 2-25 taken at 1:30pm
am speciman 7-25
pm speciman 2-13

Follicle STIM hormone 5.4
Range: Follicular 3.4-10
Mid cycle 5.7-20.0
Luteal 1.9-10.0
Post menopausal 41-121

Free T4 1.21 Range .73-1.95

TSH 2.3 Range 0.3-5.1

Free T3 2.8 Range 2.3-4.2

Thyroid Peroxidase AB <10 Range <35

Thyroglobulin AB <20 Range <40

Vitamin B-12 834 Range 250-1100

DHEA Sulfate 50 Range 27-206

Testosterone Free/Total with SHBG

Testosterone 40 Range 14-76
S E X Horm Bind Globulin 22 Range 18-114
Calc Free Testosterone .09 Range 0.3-1.6

Vitamin D, 25 OH 35 Range 30-100

I didn't talk to the doctor, but nurse says she wants me on:

60 mg Armor, take 1/2 for one week, then up to full dose week 2

DHEA 25 mg every other day...no prescription, I'm to find an OTC

Doctor says I'm early perimenopause, notes I'm very low progesterone, but didn't write a script...wants to work on Thyroid first.

For some reason, they didn't check my cholestorol. I called back to verify.

She says I'm just bordering on pre-diabetes, but recent virus plus low thyroid could be influencing the numbers. She will check me in 3 months and metformin if necessary. She recommends I stay on low carb and GET MORE EXERCISE.

Thoughts, anyone? Thank you in advance for all the help. It is truly appreciated.

Spoon

Last edited by Spoon; 10-01-2010 at 08:52 AM.. Reason: Added estrodial numbers
Spoon is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-01-2010, 09:40 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: maile
Stats: 170/166.5/140 5'7"
WOE: PPLP and IF
Start Date: Oct 2009
I think I'm liking your doctor

FT3 is very low, only about 1/4 in the range, needs to be 3/4 of the range.
FT4 is also low, bit better than the FT3, but should come up appropriately with the Armour.
With that increase in a 2 week period you will see over the net that the protocol can be to raise every 2 weeks, I would make sure you track how you are feeling: temp, pulse, bp if you can and then move up as long as everything is okay, if this takes more than 2 weeks don't worry, better slow than have to start all over again because of raising too fast.

Ferritin is in a good spot but keep an eye on it, as you said you had had an infection and inflammation can falsely raise ferritin.

B12 is okay, are you supplementing?

Your random cortisol is quite high, if you can afford it I would get a 4x salivary done as both high and low cortisol can interfere with how you tolerate incoming thyroid.

Agree progesterone is low, but doctor is doing the right thing as often optimized thryoid will take care of the repro hormones if it doesn't then see if the doctor will add a progesterone cream. Btw, your labs do show for estrogen dominance and added progesterone will help with this but until you see the doctor again make sure you are familiar with the symptoms of estrogen dominance/low progesterone and how they are similar/differ from low thyroid. That way when you do see the doctor again you can have a good conversation about whether you need progesterone or more thyroid.
maile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 10:04 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Thank you, Maile....

I do have a question, if you don't mind. Since I'm starting slow on the Armour, 1/2 a dose for a week (or two, like you suggested if need be) is there a good time to take it? 1/4 in the morning, 1/4 at night? With or without food?

I am married to a Pharmacist consultant, (who also used to work for a huge Pharma company ), and I do love him, but I'd rather ask you guys, if you don't mind.

You asked if I supplement B-12, I do take a sublingual B complex...it seems to help.

I wanted a script for Vitamin D...I take D3 Carlson's drops.

What does anyone think of DHEA?
Old 10-01-2010, 10:09 AM   #4
Thyroid Patient Advocate

Gallery: nonstickpam107
If she wrote a Rx. for trandermal at night progesterone she would have started with thyroid. Doh!!! THROID doesn't work well and neither do adrenals with prog. that low.

Backazzwards.

Pam
nonstickpam107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 10:10 AM   #5
Thyroid Patient Advocate

Take the 1/2 grain am for now, no food for an hour, no calcium/iron for four to six hours around it. When you go up to the other half, take the second half (the split) about five hours after the first split.

Pam
Old 10-01-2010, 10:21 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Pam, should I try to get a natural Progesterone cream on my own and just use it and tell the doctor later? OR, should I put on my big girl panties and request the transdermal for night?

I read either on this forum somewhere, or on the TX Thyroid board that Dr. Elmore is like most doctors and likes you to try things her way before making adjustments.
Old 10-01-2010, 10:29 AM   #7
Thyroid Patient Advocate

That will just bind up your incoming thyroid. No, the OTC crap (can't stress that strongly enough) is NOT for people with thyroid disease, it's made from ONLY Wild Yam cream, unlke the Rx.'d BHRT made for you.

You start calling the pharmacies that have a compounder ("Hello, I'm trying to find a pharmacy that does bioidentical hormone compounding, and progesterone cream"...once you start talking to the compounder, she/he will tell you what they would make for you, and also the strength and may even want to speak to your doc OR give you some literature to give to your doc).

Some compounding pharmacies have a doc on staff to write Rx. for you. Some do salivary though and you might get 'over replaced'. Some people have to take it orally too.

If by 'her way' you mean just a stupid TSH and just T4, and the doc doesn't do BHRT...than go find another doc to do that, OR like I put above, see a compounder. Progesterone is something you desperately NEED. Not a 'whim'.

Pam
Old 10-01-2010, 11:20 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Yea Pam! You know how to clearly say what you mean! I want to take whatever you are taking to make me able to do that!

"I'll have what she's having..."(line from a movie)

She will do BHRT, that's why I went 1 1/2 hour away to her. I'll just go ahead and ask her.

Thank you so much for your help.
Old 10-01-2010, 11:28 AM   #9
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: inatic
Stats: 182+/126 5'4 51!yo 16/4 *5* kidlets later!
WOE: Coach:Erik Ledin leanbodies consulting
Start Date: LowER C since 2/02 wt training 10/15/02
Quote:
.once you start talking to the compounder, she/he will tell you what they would make for you, and also the strength and may even want to speak to your doc OR give you some literature to give to your doc).
you wont find a compounding pharmacy here that will do bhrt without a dr script. They dont do the testing or the prescribing.. at least not what i've seen here.

id also ask dr for progesterone script and work with her.. she seems great, definitely do do anything she isnt aware of..

Last edited by inatic; 10-01-2010 at 11:33 AM..
inatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 05:31 PM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: watcher513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
Yea Pam! You know how to clearly say what you mean! I want to take whatever you are taking to make me able to do that!

"I'll have what she's having..."(line from a movie)

LOL, I remember that scene well from When Harry Met Sally!
watcher513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 06:08 AM   #11
Thyroid Patient Advocate

Ha ha..I'm taking ERFA from Canada...3 grains. LOL

Yeah, we have those compounding pharms here that have a doc on call to do salivary tests (only, not blood) and then we all get TONS of prog. (too much) by mouth (troche, oral, blah blah) and puff up. I can pick out the women going to this place. So, ya kind of have to have some 'say' too. If it's too much, ya tell them "It's too much!!!" I had one pharmacy try and tell me that's how they make 'everyone's'...not..I said "YOU'llmake mine this way cuz I'm paying you, or I'll go elsewhere'.

Pam
Old 10-05-2010, 06:51 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Quote:

Thyroid Peroxidase AB <10 Range <35

Thyroglobulin AB <20 Range <40
1. Would anyone mind helping me understand what these two levels mean as far as my thyroid is concerned? I've tried to research this on my own, but I can't seem to get a handle on what my levels vs. the range means in my particular case.

2. Also, I've trying to read up on thyroid information on Stop the Thyroid Madness website as well as other sites on the internet. Is there another source, book, or particular person that seems to be especially helpful so that I can learn as much as I can on my own? You all seem so knowledgeable, and I want to get to that point somehow, too...though it seems a long road!

(I seem to have a three pronged problem: thyroid, pre-diabetes, hormone imbalance. I am reading as much as possible, but I've noticed my children are wondering where I am and if I'm ever going to think about feeding them again.)

Thank you so much!
Old 10-05-2010, 02:27 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mimers
Stats: 160/139/130
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: October 2010
The 2 tests you are showing above and asking about are to test for thyroid antibodies. Your range is below the lowest range which tells you if you have antibodies or not...ie.., a diagnosis of Hashimoto's. You do NOT have Hashi's!
mimers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 04:36 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimers View Post
The 2 tests you are showing above and asking about are to test for thyroid antibodies. Your range is below the lowest range which tells you if you have antibodies or not...ie.., a diagnosis of Hashimoto's. You do NOT have Hashi's!
Thanks, Mimers. That is a relief. Truly it is. However, now I'm left with nothing to blame but something dreadfully embarassing like Metabolic X syndrome. or just plain obesity

I really appreciate this forum and the input. I'm trying to learn as much as possible, and you are certainly helping. Thank you.
Old 10-05-2010, 07:42 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Nope.....misunderstanding. It's nice that you don't have Hashi's. But if you do look at your thyroid tests.....the one that gives you energy to feel well, have the energy to exercise (ie.., be able to lose weight, etc.) is the FT3 test. That is FREE T3. That should be in the 2/3 to 3/4 of the HIGH end of the range. Yours is at the bottom.

Also, your Vitamin D is below range...and that really needs work...it will take time to get that up.

Just a little FYI....make sure when you take your 1/2 thyroid meds, you take the 2nd half (this is when you take more) later in the day...do not add it to the first half dose. Take it the way Pam described in post #5 on this thread.

So....back to "what to blame". I would say low Vitamin D levels, the low FT3 levels (which is thyroid) and the progesterone which can come after a bit. And make sure you get her to Rx OTC.

Wait...she told you to take DHEA?!?! NO NO NO!!!!! That's the last thing to fix.

First things first.

Get a 24 hour cortisol test.

Take Vitamin D3 supplements

Take your thyroid meds as Rx'd

If you find you are not tolerating them well it's a couple things....and you can tell us how you are doing later on that. But you are definitely "hypothyroid" so you can definitely "blame it" for how you are feeling for the time being. But you might have a few other endocrine system issues as well (as most of us have had ... all at once).

OH!!!! And a pre-diabetic glucose reading is 101 (some labs it's 99). You're in the 80's. Let go of that one to worry about. Just try to not have so many sugary foods, or things with white flour, white sugar (i.e, breads, cookies, soft drinks, donuts, crackers, candy (unless 70% cocoa/chocolate ha ha ha, etc).

Hope that helps answer a few more things.......
Old 10-05-2010, 11:43 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimers View Post
Hope that helps answer a few more things.......
You have certainly helped, indeed! Thank you so much for your very kind reply. It truly does help to have someone come along beside you and help you sort through the medical "alphabet soup" so to speak.

I think I had a bit of a low today...I am trying to understand what is happening to my body. In the past, low carb was always my stand by option to get things back to normal. I've been in ketosis since August 3rd, even adding in more carbs as Pam and others have suggested, but no weight loss.

I was relieved to see my fasting glucose was 83, but am concerned about the A1c, but suspect the virus I had, then sinus infection, etc. could have influenced the 3 month average as I've read that can affect blood sugar levels.

I do, however, have awful periods of waking up during the night with a rapid heartbeat and sort of a fear instinct...I thought it was low blood sugar, so I got a meter to try to catch it...instead, my bsugar was up! But so was my b/p, my heart rate, and my sleepy husband because I usually scream. The first few times he would get up with me and try to figure out if it was an intruder, child, mouse or whatnot, now he just sleeps through it. I'm hoping this symptom will go away "quietly". ha

Thanks for the heads up on the DHEA. Don't need to shoot myself in the foot until we get the thyroid settled.

I'll use my 49th birthday money from my mom to buy a 24 hour cortisol test Who hoo! I'm certainly wondering what that will uncover (as I type this at 1:38 am).

Anyway, bless you again for your kindness in helping me.

Spoon
Old 10-06-2010, 06:13 AM   #17
Thyroid Patient Advocate

That waking up with fight or flight reaction is usually brought on by really low progesterone and T3. Stick to lowcarb, no sugar, etc. That will help it. And progesterone cream at night before bed will help it.

Glad you are getting your cortisol test. Happy Birthday (mine is tomorrow).

Pam
Old 10-06-2010, 07:24 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: maile
Stats: 170/166.5/140 5'7"
WOE: PPLP and IF
Start Date: Oct 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonstickpam107 View Post
That waking up with fight or flight reaction is usually brought on by really low progesterone and T3. Stick to lowcarb, no sugar, etc. That will help it. And progesterone cream at night before bed will help it.

Pam
This can also be low night cortisol, if it's really low (like mine) adrenaline kicks in and you get "lovely" fright, racing heart and nightmares.

Glad as well you are getting the cortisol test and Happy Birthday
maile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 09:28 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: slmunoz
WOE: LC
Hey, Pam, my birthday is tomorrow as well!!
slmunoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 10:43 AM   #20
Thyroid Patient Advocate

OOOOH...we're birthday sisters!! woohoo!! (what are you doing/getting?)

Pam
Old 10-06-2010, 11:06 AM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Well, I'm getting together with a friend in the morning, hubby's taking me out in the evening for dinner and shopping. Friday we're going out with our boys and their wives for dinner, then to the local high school football game. Yep, we live very exciting lives!! Honestly, just being with friends and my kiddos is all I really want... with a few new articles of clothing thrown in!! I remember hearing my mom say that when I was young and thought she was nuts! I guess I'm officially "old" now that I'm saying the same thing! Funny how your perspective changes as you mature.

How 'bout you?
Old 10-06-2010, 11:48 AM   #22
Thyroid Patient Advocate

Well, tonight is my BFF's birthday (Kevin..who's a great Irish bartender) and so I'm going to the bar he works at tonight and first I'm just delivering a big birthday cake for him and everyone (regular cake/icing, etc.) (Kevin LOVES cheesecake..LOVES it) and after about an hour of seeing him pouting, I'ma go to the car and get HIS cake.

Then, tomorrow night we will first go here Welcome to Skip's Party Place! (feel free to visit and say Happy Birthday, lol) and it's blues night...then we go to another good friends' bar (Wacky Jacks) then we go to Kevin's bar (where I happen to know they've cooked up a huge birthday party for me and him). I might get home before 4, but I doubt it.

Oh, and we're going somewhere special tomorrow for dinner. There are 101 Lakes in teh county I live in (touristy!) And there used to be a place called 'Lake of the Woods'..very special...laid back...they fly in fresh seafood daily. Well, it burned down, but they've rebuilt and called "Woods, too" (cute, huh?). We're going there. YUM!!! It's all you can eat frog legs and peeled shrimp night. But Ima go for the platter of flame broiled fish, dripping with drawn butter.

I just got Kevin's fake cake done And the cherries on the cheesecake done.

Pretty cool for someone who doesn't drink alcohol, huh?

Pam
Old 10-06-2010, 11:53 AM   #23

Quote:

Pam
Quote:
Originally Posted by maile View Post
This can also be low night cortisol, if it's really low (like mine) adrenaline kicks in and you get "lovely" fright, racing heart and nightmares.

Glad as well you are getting the cortisol test and Happy Birthday
when i wake in the am, i JUMP awake. My progesterone and T3 is ok, so it has to be?? cortisol (still waiting on my saliva results)
Old 10-06-2010, 11:56 AM   #24
Thyroid Patient Advocate

Ileen, your progesterone is oral, right? Or are you using transdermal?

Pam
Old 10-06-2010, 12:01 PM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Happy birthday to Pam and Slmonoz!

If I could have looked into the future when I was about 7 years old or so, and seen that I would be using my 49th birthday cash to buy a SALIVA test, I would have been pretty worried about myself, not to mention grossed out.

Funny how 49 doesn't seem as old now as it did back then....

Can't wait to see Ileen's results...I'll look for your post! (I love reading your posts, and you seem extremely nice, but have to admit I'm a WEE bit jealous because of your avatar, stats, etc.)
Old 10-06-2010, 12:24 PM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Pam - You put me to shame with your celebrating! If you ever feel like shipping one of those cheesecakes this way, I'd be happy to test it for you!
We don't drink either, so it'll be a diet Pepsi splurge for me!! Woo-hoo!

Spoon - Happy B-day to you too! I totally agree with you!! I'll be 51 tomorrow and I so clearly remember thinking how old that was when my mom was that age.
Old 10-06-2010, 02:16 PM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

All the birthday gals...HAPPY Birthday to you all...enjoy all your activites for sure!

Spoon...I love that you are getting the cortisol test for your 49th birthday. I think that is a great gift....a gift of good health with love from mom! Can't beat that.

Happy happy day tomorrow to Pam and Simunoz!
Old 10-06-2010, 02:21 PM   #28

Quote:
Ileen, your progesterone is oral, right? Or are you using transdermal?

Pam
no, your right.. oral.. i dont absorb the transdermals that i have thus far. I have to one day try Miners recommendation.. havent gotten there yet..

Quote:
Happy birthday to Pam and Slmonoz!

If I could have looked into the future when I was about 7 years old or so, and seen that I would be using my 49th birthday cash to buy a SALIVA test, I would have been pretty worried about myself, not to mention grossed out.

Funny how 49 doesn't seem as old now as it did back then....

Can't wait to see Ileen's results...I'll look for your post! (I love reading your posts, and you seem extremely nice, but have to admit I'm a WEE bit jealous because of your avatar, stats, etc.)
:kiss:
Im 48 and will be 49 in may!
head up!
its been an awesome journey and a work for a few yrs.
i've had the best medical (pam) and fitness/nutrition coaches (erik)
Old 10-06-2010, 07:26 PM   #29
Thyroid Patient Advocate

Well, there's a big diff between waking up all night long in 'starts' (I did that for a year and a HALF before I got the right dosage of estradiol and progesterone) and just waking up like that in the morning.

The waking as if you are in a dead run out of bed is usually very low estradiol OR unbalanced hormones or the start of menopause.

That's the maddening thing about menopause....right about when you get the thyroid and all that worked out, the sex hormones go down...once you get those up...then it's time to work on the thyroid again. Sometimes I wish I'd just get old all at once and go sit in my rocking chair on the porch!

Pam
Old 10-06-2010, 07:29 PM   #30

Gallery: lisabinil
Stats: 287/Restart 206/177/160 5'6"
WOE: Healthy Carb for Optimum Health
Start Date: 2/4/10
Quote:
Well, there's a big diff between waking up all night long in 'starts' (I did that for a year and a HALF before I got the right dosage of estradiol and progesterone) and just waking up like that in the morning.

The waking as if you are in a dead run out of bed is usually very low estradiol OR unbalanced hormones or the start of menopause.

That's the maddening thing about menopause....right about when you get the thyroid and all that worked out, the sex hormones go down...once you get those up...then it's time to work on the thyroid again. Sometimes I wish I'd just get old all at once and go sit in my rocking chair on the porch!

Pam
I'm on this rollercoaster now-thyroid meds optimized and sex hormones are wacky now. I sure hope my endo can help-my appts at the end of the month and the migraines are killing me.
lisabinil is offline   Reply With Quote